5.0 out of 5 stars New outlook on game based anime for me.
Ratings are a guesstimate, usually on the "safe side".

Sub-genre: Comedy, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, some romance

Situations: PG
Language: Probably PG+
Nudity: PG
Violence: PG

Language options: Dub, Sub with separate on/off option. The way it should be.
Start-up ads can't be skipped, annoying!

Special...
Published on February 21, 2011 by Charles Stuckey

3.0 out of 5 stars Another video game adaptation that doesn't take the cake.
Published 3 months ago by Usagi Uchiha

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars New outlook on game based anime for me., February 21, 2011
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
Ratings are a guesstimate, usually on the "safe side".

Sub-genre: Comedy, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, some romance

Situations: PG
Language: Probably PG+
Nudity: PG
Violence: PG

Language options: Dub, Sub with separate on/off option. The way it should be.
Start-up ads can't be skipped, annoying!

Special Features:
Disc 2: Clean open/close. Trailers(Previews) - Ragnarok and Sgt. Frog were okay. Soul Eater, Tsubasa (actually season 2 + OVAs), Full Metal Alchemist (actually Part 3) are useless to tell what the story is about. Kaliedo Star (actually Season 2 + OVA) is almost as useless. FLCL was not good, but the series is confusing enough that trying to describe it is probably beyond the limited abilities of whoever made the ad anyway. ;p

This is an anime based on a video game (series of games actually). Unlike most in this "class" of anime, this one was actually very good. It didn't run like watching someone play the video game on your TV. Plot, character development and story developed well. Animation was a bit older/"kiddie" (think Pokemon) but the writing and direction were great. Mid and backgrounds were often excellent art. One opinion: Laharl laughs maniacally early in the series... it is one of the most pathetic maniacal laughs I've heard. You sort of get used to it as the series goes on though. Otherwise the voice acting and direction are great.

Overall I greatly enjoyed this, but I wasn't a great fan of the ending chosen. It was good, but a little unexpected. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess and it may grow on me with further viewing. As game based animes, it is one of the best I have seen and may change my mind on the whole sub-genre which I generally avoid.

The story is about Laharl, a demon and heir to the throne of the demon world who was placed into a 2 year sleep by an attempt to poison him. During an attempt by an angel in training to assassinate him (thinking it was his father) he is awakened and begins his quest to take his rightful place as ruler. Laharl, the angel and an impish female demon begin the search for the castle and the book of demons required to declare Laharl ruler. They are aided, or sometimes hindered, by the Prinneys, penguin-like souls seeking redemption and who always end their sentences with "dood!".
While based on a video game, this one (as an anime) would be at least T for Teen, so probably isn't suitable for children unfortunately. Some is situational but mostly language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disgaea - the complete series, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
I don't do games and I'm not familiar with the entertainment, but from somewhere, an advertisement for this series appealed to me. That in itself is unusual, because sadly, anime commercials nearly always fail to sell their product. This one looked a little quirkey, a little rude, and a bit on the fast-paced side, so I took a chance on it. I am glad I did. Disgaea is a fun series, full of demons who aren't quite as bad as they might be, angels and heros who aren't as good as they should be, and worlds we all can relate to. The story is nothing new, but the presentation is well done and the tale is a good one. If you like sarcastic comedy with anti-heros and anti-villians mixing it up for the sake of their own views and goals, Disgaea will entertain you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A devilishly good time!, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
I had previously seen the Disgaea series and just when I was considering seeking the episodes out another time at my local video rental place, I stumbled across this bundle. Fans of the games will definitely enjoy Laharl's romp in the netherworld and these few, yet highly enjoyable episodes will certainly draw new people into the video games. Memorable characters from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness are frequent and, though the plot of the anime is different from the game it is based on, it still maintains its quirky humor that envelopes the games.

I was very impressed with the packaging and the images on the CDs are very colorful. A must have!

3.0 out of 5 stars Another video game adaptation that doesn't take the cake., September 14, 2014
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
Unless you're a Disgaea video game fan, this series isn't for you. I felt like this series didn't go anywhere and the only character I liked was Etna. Flonne was annoying and Laharl was too pompous for his own good. Plus, the animation wasn't as good as the other 2006 Anime that I had watched previously. The price is good but that all it is. I give this three stars because of the whole 'good' Flonne versus 'evil' Laharl bits in the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Cute, November 7, 2013
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
Love it , its funny , cute and adorable . I have never played the series but the anime looked cute and at a very reasonable price I gave it a shot and I am glad I did , its short anime , after watching the anime I want to give the games a try , their very popular , this anime is a must .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Anime Based Game But Crappy Ending, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
I love Disgaea 1 of course, but I don't usually do anime that are based on the game because it usually ends badly (not counting Pokemon). The anime takes its own spin on the game changing things up. However by doing so, some things don't end well. Etna for the most part is pretty useless now and she's just as much as a damsel in distress as Flonne is (though it's stretching it given Flonne isn't completely helpless in any of the games). Some arcs were taken out and swapped around to make room with many filler arcs. Gordon, Jennifer and Thursday are just the Team Rocket of the anime always blasting off because of some inconvenience.

Looking back now though, the episode with Maharl is funny given that the new Disgaea game Dimension 2.0 is taking that plot and putting it in the game and making it more realized (and I'm going to even say that its going to end up the same way as this anime episode).

I think the Red Moon episode is the most emotional episode in the series and makes it just as depressing. Add to the fact Mid-Boss is here makes it even more tragic.

But the ending...let's just say that they thought it would be great to take the normal ending and use it for the anime with a twist never mind that every other continuity whether it be the game or manga or novel says the good ending is canon. The normal ending is just used for shock value and disappointing people who wanted a happy ending and lowers the score.

Overall, a good anime to watch but prepare to be disappointed with the last episode (there should be more action too but...)

4.0 out of 5 stars disgaea anime review, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is simply a collection of the three/3 disgaea dvd's in one package. So don't expect more. Do the math. Three individual dvd's @ 100 minutes apiece. One complete series 300 minutes. It's definitely kid oriented ... well, 99%(Jennifer). One thing i did like was how the subtitles for the opening credits would alternate between English and Japaneses. Commentaries from series creator, & the one of the voice actors. The story made itself different enough from the game to keep me interested. My only complaint with the story was the never gave closure to the one episode. Who or what was that person really, & what was Mid-boss's connection? A second season would be nice. This is definitely a buy for anyone who is a fan, or just couldn't get into the game, & wanted to finish up the story. The game's advantage is different endings. Now that's a thought for dvd/blu-ray. Imagine as special feature home viewing you could choose how the story could progress, & perhaps end ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 5, 2014
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
If you love the Disgaea series or even just Anime you will love this. Follows through the story line of D1 and hopefully they continue to make more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an ideal Disgaea anime but..., March 28, 2014
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
Alright, let's get down to business on this one. I absolutely love Disgaea, own all the games, several figures, etc. Though I have to say there's something about the Anime that doesn't give me the same warm fuzzy feeling.

Now don't get me wrong. The package shipped exactly on time. It was in perfect condition. All that jazz. Which is great, on the surface. I myself had never seen the anime before. I'd been far too enthralled with the games to even really have time for the anime. When I finally buckled down to check it out I must say I wasn't as pleased as I thought I'd be. This Anime does Disgaea a lot of justice, faithfully carrying over character's voices, attitudes, etc. as well as the settings. The story however gets a tad bit warped, but I suppose that's to be expected when a video game is translated directly into an Anime. Laharl seems, simply put, way too OP from episode one to really make the show exciting or keeping you on the edge of your seat. We can all agree Laharl is awesome and should kick butt, but I'd like to see him develop those skills (like in the game) rather than starting off as someone who can take on anything with ease. The ending definitely brought tears to my eyes, and for awhile I was engrossed, but overall it was Laharl's portrayal and some story elements that hindered this from being a 5/5.

I would suggest this to Disgaea fans who have a little extra cash to spare. Or who have already seen and loved the anime but don't yet own it. Not sure if it will ever come to Blu-Ray so having a copy of it on DVD is gonna be your best bet (for now). I wouldn't suggest this to anyone new to the Disgaea franchise. I highly suggest picking up the games instead (in this case the first one) to get a firm grasp on everything. If your friends are all huge Disgaea fans and you just need to know what the buzz is about, well then I suppose you can consider this a cliff note version of the first game but not a whole lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series ever!, September 16, 2013
This review is from: Disgaea: The Complete Series (DVD)
I've been a huge fan of the video game series and comics. I wish that there were more episodes but this is a wonderful set.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Disgaea: The Complete Series
Disgaea: The Complete Series by Keith Arem (DVD - 2011)
$19.98 $12.98