Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Video Game|Change

on November 2, 2013
Great game style. I like the kinds of games that tastefully mix weapons and "supernatural" powers. So the game play is on par with Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Singularity. The GOTY version is worth the extra money, too. The DLC content is the equivalent of another game and it's very good. The powers in the game are interesting and you can exploit combinations to make for more interesting game play. Stopping time, teleporting behind someone, and killing them never got old! However, the power consumption was very expensive and I felt like this actually deincentivized their use. I know that the game makers probably wanted some means of bottlenecking power use so that the game wasn't too easy, but I felt like I did a lot of waiting in the game to let my mana recharge. I hope that, if they franchise this game, they make power use much less costly in the future.

The story is interesting but not the most mind-blowing or intricate one date. It's no Mass Effect 2 or Bioshock. Take the game for what it is. It's a Victorian-era sneak-and-kill game with steam punk and supernatural elements thrown in. That it makes it pretty exciting. The game and the DLC are also definitely worth multiple playthroughs.
44 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2013
Dishonored was hands down my favorite game of 2012, so it was a no-brainer to purchase the Game of the Year Edition with all of the downloadable add-ons that were released individually on Xbox Live. I originally posted a review for Dishonored last year but I felt the need to give a review on this release since there aren't many up on Amazon. Needless to say, if you're a Dishonored fan already or interested in this game for the first time, this is the version you want. For people who still own Dishonored, this version isn't compatible with your old save, however that's par for the course for Game of the Year Editions.

As for the game itself, this is the same game many people have come to know and love, but now it's just more of it. The stealth gameplay is still best in class, offering old school Thief style gameplay with tremendous art direction from the art director of Half-Life 2's City 17. Both stealth and combat feel fluid, allowing you to play without feeling like the controls are fighting against you, which is important in a game that relies so heavily on the controls during tense stealth segments. This game is totally doable and enjoyable as a stealth and action game, so I'd honestly recommend playing through at least twice.

Since I hinted at the art direction earlier, this game is simply stunning to look at. Not only is it beautiful, it's also very atmospheric. While it has an atmosphere all its own, I haven't been this immersed in a game world since Bioshock's Rapture, Half-Life 2's City 17, and the most recent, Bioshock Infinite's Columbia. It's not only a beautifully constructed game environment, but one that immerses you in it and makes you want to stay in it for as long as possible.

As for the add ons, they come on a separate disc, so no lousy download codes here. Kudos to developers/publishers that do this! The best reason to get this version of the game is for the add-on content, but you'll want it the most for The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches, which are the two premiere pieces of content for the game. Both are story-driven and give you more of what any Dishonored fan wants out of Dishonored. The other content is what it is, but the two I just mentioned are the showstoppers.

I bought this again simply because I like to own all of the content on discs, because I never know what'll happen with digital content years down the road. This game is so good that it deserves to be on disc for preservation.
on December 24, 2013
I mainly play shooters; so bought Dishonored based on Amazon reviews. Was surprised to find out it was the best game I've played in the last couple years. Dishonored is on the par with the original Bioshock and Death Space. I've played it first as a shooter and latter in stealth mode. Finishing whole game or DLCs not being discovered and without kills is very challenging. The story is solid, action rewarding, and the whole game's decor is like a museum painting.

The GOTY edition includes 3 additional DLC missions. First DLC is "Dunwall City Trial" with ten achievements bringing 806 Gamers Points (GPs). The other two are played as Daud, the assassin that kills the empress in the original game. Those are "The Knife of Dunwall" which brings in 10 achievements worth 543 GP and "The Brigmore Witches" worth another 10 with 670 points. If you like shooters, give Dishonored a chance, you won't be disappointed.
on December 3, 2014
The game is fantastic. It has everything that makes an engaging and fun game that will keep you coming back time after time once the credits roll. For such a small amount of money, you get the original game, as well as all the other interesting downloadable content.

I could go on and on about praising this game, but I'll save you the trouble and just keep it short.

- The game has an interesting setting, and features a fantastic art style that is unique and makes locations as boring as city streets interesting and vividly stylish.

- The game encourages exploration, and rewards for it. The semi-linear levels have several ways to reach your main objective, encouraging personal thought, but it also has optional areas off the main path that are both thrilling and rewarding to explore. Just exploring each level adds hours of playtime, as you're rewarded with secret items, lore in the fictional city of Dunwall, or 'runes/bonecharms,' which are what allow you to improve your arsenal.

- The powers! You are a supernatural power blessed (or cursed, depending how you see it) by the 'Outsider' with powers that allow you to see through walls, teleport from place to place, summon a wind blast that throws your enemy away, and several other interesting ones that encourage fresh gameplay and experimentation as to what fits you best. My favorite was stopping time right as an enemy shot at me, possessing their body, positioning them in front of the bullet, then unfreeze time and watch their own bullet hit them.

- You can play slashing through everyone, or take the stealth route. The entire game can be completed without killing or being spotted by anyone, which I did do and it never felt tedious, minus a few frustrating clunky moments.

Fantastic games. Fans of games like Bioshock will definitely feel at home here. I've replayed the game twice and am on my third time, and have replayed both of the story-based DLC twice each as well.

Good game.
on September 9, 2014
While the Bioshock franchise will always be my favorite, I really enjoyed this game. It was a good mix of a first-person shooter as well as a sneak/stealth game. There are a lot of options for upgrading depending on your playing style. I especially loved the very stylized and gritty feel of the game. In a lot of ways this game is incredibly similar to the Bioshock games and I would recommend this (and I have already) to everyone.

The only downside, and why i downgraded it to 4 stars, is that it was just too short. The downloadable content does add a bit to the time you can spend on it, but I would have preferred to have more added to the campaign story line.
on December 8, 2014
Wonderful game. I love stealth games, but also love it when they give you the option to just run through, guns blazing. When I first started the game I was put off by the graphics, but quickly got over that as I started to actually play. Play style wise, it's almost like Bioshock's morality system meets Deus Ex:HR's stealth style. I haven't yet played the DLC missions that came with it, but I can easily see myself replaying this game over and over, just to find all the things I missed the first time.

The downside is that the game plot is predictable, and the amount of save slots (max of 10, which is aggravating for someone like me who saves almost every minute or two. I blame Fallout and Elder Scrolls for that). But other than that, I really enjoyed it.
on July 21, 2014
I am about 80% of the way through this game now so I figured it was time to write my review.

Pros:
> One of the most fun stealth systems in any game I have ever played.
> Absolutely love the apocalyptic environment and art style . Reminds me of Half Life a lot.
> Lots of customizability and options. You can definitely play this game lots of different ways.
> The different powers in the game are a lot of fun.
> If you like to explore their are lots of hidden places to find loot and stuff like that.
> So far, a good story and I like the characters.

Cons:
> Being totally honest here, the graphics are not very good. I may love the art style but the actual textures are very low grade. I normally wouldn't complain about this but lots of other games released on the 360 have much better textures, like Bioshock Infinite for instance. I have also seen this game on PC, and unfortunately it doesn't look any better.
> This may not be a con for others, but if you are going the stealth pathway, the game is pretty hard. Going up against multiple enemies at once is sometimes necessary, so it is easy to be detected.

Other thoughts:
The case comes with two discs, one for the main game, one for the dlc. A small whale oil poster is also included.
on March 31, 2016
Fun sneaking game with nice graphics and cool game mechanics. I kind of wish there was less of a plague rat/zombie infestation penalty for playing a total chaos, melee, guns blazing style (which I dearly love: the sword-fighting is fun and finally smiting your enemy via beheading is gory but rather satisfying) because I don't find killing rats and zombies as fun as guards, but the game is a very good exercise in patience and strategy if you play it "right" and sneak all over kingdom come - also satisfying in it's own way. :)
on May 22, 2016
This game is a wonderful mix of story telling, stealth and weaponry. Clever and unique yet familiar, you are "Corvo" a man on the run and out to solve a mystery (There I didn't spoil that too badly). Run, jump, climb, sneak, hide, eaves drop and discover places only you can go, in this very entertaining and satisfying Action / Roll Playing game. Controls work wonderfully, powers are fun and useful, and they actually work! The downloadable content is on par with the rest of the game and takes you deeper into the initial story and the people that populate a once beautiful city, now over run with disease and ruined with corruption. Fun to play, satisfying to finish, "re-playability" is good, either for a run through on harder settings, or to find alternatives pathways.
on January 6, 2014
Not only is dishonored a great game but buying the game of the year addition which includes all of the downloaded content makes it worth the price. I loved the main game because you can choose to either kill everyone or spare their lives, and it changes how the whole game turns out especially toward the end of the game. This also includes the story of Daud which is also interesting too not as good as the main story of course but good for extra content and gives you a fairly long amount of play time.

the flaws can be fairly minor like the main campaign was enjoyable just wish it was a little longer so i could enjoy the game a bit more. The graphics could have been a bit better because if they were it would make the executions in the game much more intense and cool but the game still does look nice just could have looked a little better.

As i said really good game for anyone that likes stealth or for someone that likes going in weapons blazing hell there's even achievements for doing an all stealth game in which case the feature of being able to save anytime during the game and anywhere in the game is most useful.