5.0 out of 5 stars A Seminal Work--A must read
This is a must read. From the first words of the book, I was hooked.

Published 14 months ago by A. Upshir

3.0 out of 5 stars Disinformation
A bit (a lot) ponderous. Early on, some question as to credibility; small matters, but things that got my attention. What it did, though, was highlight the same tactics, techniques and procedures being employed by the Washington Beltway against specific political enemies and political groups it opposes. Tyrants are tyrants, wherever you find them.
Published 9 months ago by K. Benway

5.0 out of 5 stars A Seminal Work--A must read, June 26, 2013
A. Upshir (Annandale, VA) - See all my reviews
This is a must read. From the first words of the book, I was hooked.

The use of Disinformation, the deliberate manipulative tactic to create, out of whole cloth, a great lie with the deliberate intention of destroying reputations of men, peoples, races, faith groups, and institutions, is well, staggering. We may not want to accept it-we may believe it can't really happen. If you doubt, read the book and post a review.

Let me give you an example from the book. Do you remember during the Clinton administration, there was an alarming report announced. Black churches were being burned at an historic rate. The KKK-like overtones to this story were humiliating and alarming to Americans. People all over the world heard of our shame-the evil of violent racism--plaguing American and the South. Legislation was passed at the Federal level! Bill Clinton came out reminiscing of the church burnings he remembered from his childhood. During that time, I remember me unease with the way the story was being accepted, seemingly without scrutiny by the press--almost gleefully. Well, sometime later, hardly reported (unlike the charges), an independent study proved every single charge had been false! In Disinformation, we learn that Soviet agents were responsible for this slander and libel against the American people. But the damage was done--and that is why Disinformation is implemented--it works! And let's just say it, it happened in AMERICA! It is much easier to believe this going on during the Cold War in in some unfortunate country like Romania, but not America! And this was during the 1990s!

There are so many more illustrations, equally or more egregious. The disinformation campaigns against Jews and the Christian church are, nothing less than heartrending. One thing I can say about the designers and implementers of disinformation--they're really, really good at what they do.

Pacepa's work is an eyeopener, and I believe a seminal work, documenting for history the malevolence and effectiveness of unrestrained power in centralized governments. This is truly Animal Farm, 1984 and Brave New World lived large in the real world of flesh and blood humanity--wreaking unquantifiable harm on real people who live and breathe under the power of government unchecked. The power of Soviet disinformation is the power to destroy lives, hearts and minds.

If you want to see into the birth of modern terrorism-you'll find it hear. Would we be living in this same world today if it were not for the diabolical campaign of sending 4000 agents into the Middle East with the Great libel against the Jews in the form of the legendary writings called, "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" a book about the secret Jewish plan to take over the world--this is still sold today in Muslim countries next to Mein Kampf. Yes, disinformation has changed the course of history. Look at what high schools and colleges teach today as history--this should be required by all students studying Modern History.

BTW, disinformation is not to be confused with misinformation as the book explains.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind the Scenes Look at the true Info Wars Fought during the Cold War, June 27, 2013
Steve Glass (Westlake, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disinformation: Former Spy Chief Reveals Secret Strategies for Undermining Freedom, Attacking Religion, and Promoting Terrorism (Hardcover)
Not being a child who grew up in an age when you hid under your desk during air raid drills, the back-and-forth battles between the West and East during the Cold War has always fascinated me. The Berlin Wall had already fallen before I entered grade school, and the old Soviet Union had already broken apart.

Even watching a seminal piece of Cold War propaganda like Rocky IV didn't make sense, in a world where the hostilities between America and Russia were no more.

But to read Lt. Gen. Pacepa's book helps you understand the calculating measures the Soviet's took, through their perfecting the science of disinformation, to ensure their attacks on the West could outlive their empire.

We are still living in a world where the repercussions of Soviet disinformation tactics are felt, through the enflamed hatred of America in the Middle East to the ludicrous notion Pope Pius XII was a willing stooge of Hitler during World War II.

Reading this book offers a glimpse into a whole new world of Cold War history that most people never confront in their education.

Worse, for the future of America, the book ends with an admission many of the tactics devised by the Soviets are now utilized by our leaders.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very important work, June 29, 2013
Paul Lathrop (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I always knew that the Catholic Church had assisted many thousands of Jews in WWII to escape from the NAZI's. Sadly there is very little information on the internet about the heroic efforts of thousands of Priests and Nuns that risked their lives to save our Jewish brothers.

Disinformation is extremely well written, thoroughly footnoted, uses reliable sources, and will re-awaken the memories of people like me that lived through the later part of the cold war.

It's a world tragedy that the lives of so many victims of the Nazis and Soviet gulags have been smeared by Dezinformatsia.

Some questions after reading this book:
Why did Margaret Thatcher say that Gorbachev's Glastost was one of the most misunderstood chapters of world history?

Where are the millions of members of the KGBs Dezinformatsia network today? What role do they play on the stage of international politics today?

What's next for Russia with a shrinking population and a newly expanding world of Natural Gas/Oil Exploration? How will the Russians respond to a more open Energy market? More Dezinformatsia?

What sort of stories are China's Dezinformatsia network spreading today?

People who are interested in this book should ignore the negative comments. Negative comments on Disinformation is simply more Dezinformatsia.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is a whole world out there most of us are totally unaware of, June 27, 2013
A customer (On top of a house in New Orleans with my laptop) - See all my reviews
Heroic General Pacepa, at 85 years old, has given us a gem.

I won't bore you with my opinions - I'd rather spend the time highlighting my favorite paragraph--

"
Disinformation has caused worldwide damage to the reputation of the United States, and now it is putting down roots in this country itself. To fight this invisible weapon, we must first recognize it for what it is and decode its hidden mission, since it is usually clothed in innocuous civilian dress - as were the terrorists who killed three thousand Americans on September 11, 2001. That is the purpose of this book.
"

If anything, it made me retrospectively judge the Clinton foreign policy (and Congress doesn't get a pass here, either) after the fall of the Soviet Union as, at best, utterly incompetent. May G-d save us from Hillary (and bring us term limits on Congress soon).

Also consider that the US did not have an intelligence service for 15 or 20 years AFTER the Bolshevik revolution (October 1917). During that time, they were infiltrating, getting into everything they could get their grubby, red, bear claws on.. !

General Pacepa's love and admiration for the US and the freedom that its citizens must continuously fight and sometimes die for (I'm talking about the citizens here, not the imbeciles who get elected to Congress), is truly inspiring and heartwarming. The bounties on his head give a sense of how valuable freedom is to those, like the General, who risk their lives (and those of their families!!) for it. Indeed, his family was nearly executed after he defected.

Another goodie I read recently was 'Disinformation : 22 Media Myths That Undermine the War on Terror'

Edit/update: For February 2014, lovely Amazon has made this book $1.99 in the kindle store. Cheaper than buying someone a beer. Send a copy to everyone you know! FYI, you don't need a kindle to read the book on your cell phone or computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Young Americans, please read this book!, August 5, 2013
R. Hoffman "book rev" (Vienna, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
Even though I had spent 7 years working for DIE (Romanian Intelligence Service) I did not know much about the extent of the Soviet Bloc's disinformation campaigns against the West. My auto-biographical book ("Good-bye, Dracula!: The Story of a Transylvanian Defector", published in 2012) had a more modest, yet important, objective: to help the reader better understand the reasons why communism should never again be considered a viable political option.

While reading Pacepa's book, I became, at times, physically sick. The evil nature of communism was exposed better than ever before.

During the past few years I have become very concerned about the current situation in America. Recently I wrote a "poem" that reflects my feelings. For whatever it's worth, here it is:

Lamentation of a communist defector

When I fled to America,
She was a patriotic nation.

When I fled to America,
She was an anti-Marxist nation.

When I fled to America,
She was a Christian nation.

Minorities with ungodly agendas
Were opposed or laughed at.
What happened to America?

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for America, June 30, 2013
This book is a must read for all Americans. If you want to know the real origin of American "liberalism" or "progressive-ism" or even liberation theology this former top KGB agent has answers. The forward was written by a former CIA Director. This is the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books regarding information manipulation, July 6, 2013
General Pacepa's insight into the diabolical twisting of information for public consumption is one of the best books on the subject I have ever read. The book is extensively notated (48 pages of references and a very large bibliography that supports all the facts revealed in the main text.)

Part 1 - Glorifying the Guilty, Framing the Innocent
This section reveals the origin and concepts regarding the art of disinformation.

Part 2 - Anatomy of a Disinformation Campaign: The Creation of "Hitler's Pope."
This section catalogs the complex plan that successfully destroyed the reputation of Pope Pius XII

Part 3 - Framing the US Government as a Pack of Assasins
This section focuses on the effort to degrade the USA's reputation and uncovers operation "Dragon."

Part 4 - Unraveling Today's Web of Deceit
This section discusses multiple aspects on modern disinformation campaigns which includes the Kremlin's Nuclear Terrorism, the Antiwar Movement, and Marxist Personality Cults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading, July 2, 2013
Adriana Frangu (Dayton Ohio, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm a Romanian-born American citizen myself. I can relate to this book very well. I'm a child of the 1980's - the roughest years of Ceausescu's tyrannical regime. I graduated high-school in 1991, just two years after the Revolution. I am thankful to Mr. Pacepa for sharing his knowledge of history. Excellent reading. I hope the American readers unfamiliar with what I went through back in the late 70's and throughout the 80's will be able to grasp at highest level of understanding every little detail of individual life under oppressive regime (whether psychological or physical). I just got the book yesterday through Amazon. I have already read the first 70 pages. There are a few hundred more. It is rather easy for me to go through them since, like I said, I do relate to this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars eye-opening disclosure of how lies become truth., January 11, 2014
History of how Pope Pius XII and other religious leaders became smeared as pro-Hitler anti-Semites. The USSR wanted to spread lies about the Church to remove it as a force against its own religion of Marxism. The authors explain how the same techniques have been used to spread hatred against the USA in Muslim countries.
My only criticism is the jumping timeline was sometimes difficult to follow. But the facts revealed are frighteningly impressive & make some of today's political headlines more understandable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, Mihai!, March 2, 2014
This is one of the best books I have ever read since I learnt to read 60 years ago. Not only I trust every word in it, I can also personally attest to the facts concerning the arrogant influence Soviets exerted over the balance of the Eastern block countries. I was born and lived in Czech Republic for 35 years. Both of my parents were communists and intellectuals who initially strongly subscribed to Marxist ideology as they lived through the horrors of Nazi occupation and Holocaust but as they gradually learned about the true face of communism in the late 50's and beginning of 60's, they turned extremely disillusioned. My father, who was was CEO of large national company was let go in 1969 for his strong stance against uninvited entry of Soviet troops in August 1968 and was kicked out of the Party. My mom, chief doctor in one of Prague's hospitals, turned in her membership as well. After I graduated in 1973, I knew that my days in that country were counted. I took my family to Iraq and never came back. All of my three children are doing very well and are eternally grateful for my decision 30 years ago. I lived and worked in Czechoslovakia, Middle East, Canada, United States and most recently Netherlands. My live was and continues to be one colorful adventure. Since Velvet Revolution in 1989 I visited Czech Republic many times. Many times I have also asked myself if I would ever be able to work there again and the answer is no. The last 25 years has simply not been enough time to erase the scars communism left in subconsciousness of this great nation. This makes me wonder how much more time will be needed and if it is ever possible to accomplish such mind cleansing given the proximity of Russia and the recent very disturbing events in Ukraine, simply another example of Disinformation by Putin, who fits this mold so well! Mihai, thank you sincerely for sharing your experiences with us.
M.B