on November 19, 2012
I've been spending a lot of time with this game since its launch and have been enjoying it immensely. A few points on the game:

1. This, like the previous Epic Mickey game, is a treasure trove for any big fan of Disney. The characters and settings are full of familiar favorites as well as good deal of little-known history.
2. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit serves as Mickey's ever-present partner this time around. Another player can jump in and control him, and if only one player is playing, he is controlled by the computer.
3. The decisions you make and the way you play the game do have an effect on the game world this time. For instance, if you're abusive to the characters by jumping on their heads too much, they will act more apprehensive toward you as a result.
4. Another feature which I think makes this a great game for younger kids is that "combat" is few and far between, and confrontations can be resolved without violence. For instance, Mickey paints characters with his brush to make them friendly, or uses it to merely thin them away.
5. The two character gameplay also places a focus on collaboration. Both the characters' abilities are necessary to advance in the game.
6. There are a couple of neat peripherals available for the Wii version of the game: PDP Epic Mickey 2 Mickey's Paintbrush for Wii and PDP Epic Mickey 2 Oswald's Clicker for Wii.

Overall, a fun game with some nice elements for young players.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2013
In terms of what's there, this game is pretty good. I didn't find the camera or AI issues quite as troublesome as some, though getting individual quests or tasks to advance can be absurdly finicky at times. But, now that Junction Point is shuttered, ex-staffers are confirming that Epic Mickey 2 is unfinished: that they experienced a mad crunch as the deadline approached, and roughly half of the planned game was jettisoned while a crude, slapped-together ending was quickly substituted in its place. If anyone is wondering why they are still wandering around the game after the final boss fight, why there are so many weird unresolved plot threads, why there are weird false starts and mixed messages after the final credits roll, and why there is no closure at all, this is why. The original took around 10-12 hours of gameplay to finish, this one can be done in under three. It's not just a poor or unsatisfying game, its a game that is incomplete, missing a huge chunk of its gameplay.
on December 5, 2012
First, let me say that this game was fun while it lasted. The voice acting is a very nice touch, the locations visited are wonderfully chosen and artistically designed and side quests abound. That said, after completing the main story line I feel as though I've played through the first half of a great game, despite a few glitches and those deadly camera angles.

My wife and I loved the first Epic Mickey game. We've both played through it multiple times, loving the challenge, the Disneyness and the unique game mechanics. For me, the best part was the ending. The number of times you think you've won only to have another, bigger challenge thrust upon you was exhilarating.

Which is precisely why I find Epic Mickey 2 less satisfying. Between a lousy final boss whose best weapon is the camera (not to mention a glitch that made him sink into the floor and never return, leaving Oswald and Mickey alone to commit seppuku and start the battle over)and a final level which pales in comparison to any of the final 3 levels of the first game in terms of depth and challenge, the conclusion really doesn't measure up to the pattern established by the first.

Also, a few words need to be said about Oswald's AI versus playing two-player. Most of the time, the game is much easier and more fun with two players because Oswald's AI is often terrible. At least twice in every level (and generally at least once in every side quest), I found myself asking my wife to put the baby down for a minute to help me or, when she was unavailable, trying to manipulate two controllers simultaneously because I just couldn't get Oswald to get his rear in gear to do something obvious. He has the ability to revive you with his remote but he almost never does except during boss fights and only sporadically at that. If you're having a hard time getting through a level or reaching a bonus item on a ledge, call a buddy to take over for the virtually useless Oswald AI.

On the other hand, if you're having trouble with a boss fight and you're playing 2-player, you should probably let the second player take a break. During boss fights, computer-controlled Oswald can do things which are impossible for a player to do, such as targeting something when he has no line of sight to it. Other than the last one (and that one only maybe), boss fights are much easier when left in the computer's care.

All of that said, I did enjoy the game and will still play through it again to see alternate paths and collect all the side stuff. Had I realized I was only getting half of a game, though, I might have waited for the price to come down.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 2, 2013
If you are a Disney fan, than this game is for you. My wife and I bought this game and the Osward Remote (okay buy) and Mickey Paintbrush (great buy) controllers for my niece who loves everything about Disney. This game offers many great qualities, but also a few flaws. The good qualities consist of a colorful world the takes your beloved characters through 3D and 2D settings of present and past Disney cartoons and worlds. However, the biggest flaw would consist of the camera angles. It gets so bad at times you start to get dizzy. We have played similar games in the past, but sadly, this one is really lacking in the ability to move with the character in terms of your digital surroundings. The other issue is the game has a few glitches. More than once we had to restart the game for her because Mickey was stuck in a rock wall, or on the side of a building/cliff, or even halfway in the ground. This was not a major issue since the game saves all progress frequently, but it is still an issue you should know about. Also, this game is all about making choices which directly effects certain outcomes, but more than once I noticed how if you don't please every character in the game (which sometimes is impossible in both want the same thing), the character that doesn't get their way degrades you with verbal guilt trips and continuously makes the player feel sorry for them. I know my niece did not like that aspect since she really was trying to help everyone. In addition, my niece found it more difficult playing with 1 person, rather than with 2 players. After watching her play, we noticed that the secondary character, Oswald, frequently is not where you need him, even when you call him. There where multiple times she had to dilute/kill Mickey to restart the level so Oswald would follow her. In the case of multiple (2 players), this issue is solved since the second player controls where he is and when. However, be eared that playing as Oswald can kind of be boring since Mickey needs to do all the main tasks to progress most levels. However, he is fun to fly around with. Overall, it is a great game for your Disney fan, but please note there are flaws. I hope this review helped.
on December 27, 2012
This is an enjoyable game, especially (as with the original game) for Disney fans who can recognize scenes from classic cartoons, and/or sites from the theme parks; and if you know to expect (and how to work around) the flaws in the game's design and implementation.

The addition of Oswald, who can be controlled by either the computer or a second player, is a great idea. However, it is sometimes frustrating to get the AI to make Oswald do what you want him to do; and because his abilities are more limited than Mickey's, he might not be as much fun for a second player to control. Ideally, you'd want a second player available to control him only in certain specific situations. The "musical" aspect of this game is fun and unique, but I felt it was a bit limited since only one character ever sings.

The game play is generally straightforward. However, there are a few times when it's not at all clear what you should do to proceed; and then there are other times when the game tells you repeatedly what you need to do, even though it's pretty obvious. And because several areas are often strung together for the main story line, going to (and coming back from) a specific area for a side quest is often cumbersome, even when using the direct projector in the movie theater. I also encountered several glitches, such as Mickey falling through the floor into a completely black purgatory, or the game "losing" items and making it impossible to complete a challenge. Fortunately, restarting or completely leaving the area restored the original configuration.

There are a handful of types of enemies, and only a few bosses, and it's not too difficult to beat most of them in either of two possible ways, especially with judicious use of the various items you pick up along the way. However, it's sometimes unclear which is the preferred technique, or if there even is an alternative.

Which brings us to the biggest issue: even more than the original game, there are often two alternative paths or choices to complete a challenge or quest. Making one choice may not only prevent you from seeing its alternative, but it might also permanently block you from completing a different quest later on. Now, because this is a relatively short game to complete, I believe the best strategy is to plan to play through the game twice. First, thin out everything you can; and once you start solving a particular challenge or quest one way, keep doing it that same way. After you defeat the final boss, start over again, but this time paint everything you can, consistently choose the alternative solution or path that you didn't try the first time, and complete as many side quests as possible along the way. This technique should let you see most of the game's scenes. Even so, if you are obsessed with completing all of the possible side quests, you'll probably need to go through the game a third (or fourth) time while consulting some on-line guides, because one "wrong" decision may forever doom your effort; and once you pass certain points (like defeating the final boss), some quests inexplicably become unavailable.

But, overall, this game contains a good combination of challenges of both dexterity and problem-solving, and fans of the original game will probably also enjoy this sequel.
on January 9, 2013
This was a gift for my daughter, and she absolutely loves it. Definitely would recommend this Wii game to others.
on September 27, 2013
This game is not worth the money. My grandsons who are very good at the Wii had a very difficult time trying to figure this game out. No instructions and was very difficult to find any instructions. Oswald doesn't even show up til Mickey completes an entire segment...not so nice for the other child waiting to play.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 23, 2013
This game can be a lot of fun, but it can also drive you crazy.

This game has a rich world and great characters. If you are a huge fan of Disney then I would add another star to the review I am giving here. Much of the fun that can be had here is by catching some of the disney inside jokes as well as enjoying the disney characters you get to hang out with.

The gameplay here is fun, though it can be a bit repetitive. The camera can be very frustrating. It can be very hard to move around the world only to find that the camera is stuck behind an invisible wall. This isn't impossible to override but it is more frustrating that I would like.

This game is an alright value. Many people here are stating that the game is very short, by my estimation it took 10 to 12 hours to play through which isn't terrible, especially if you are buying this on sale.

From the outside this game seems to be great for parents and children. The game is geared at children and there is enough present to keep an adult entertained. In addition to that the game lets you both play together! Unfortunately, the two player system isn't perfect and most times you will end up turning it off. Cooperation during the game isnt entirely intuitive and unless you are playing with a teenager you will most likely opt for the computer to take over for the second player.

This game is good not great, though this is one of those things that I feel people can really enjoy if their expectations are in the right place.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2012
Anyone who knows me knows I live and breathe for Disney. Being a fan of the name all of my life, since my first trip to Disneyland, I jumped for joy when I learned about Epic Mickey being released last year. I purchased it and replayed it multiple times, so satisfied with the concept and the game play. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to spend my holiday playing Epic Mickey 2. Not only am I watching TV while writing this review instead of playing it, I feel no pull what-so-ever to play it.

The story has Mickey returning to Wasteland when a giant earthquake strikes the area and messes things up again. Aside from that. the purpose of the game escapes me. At one stage, when I was playing around in some dioramas that celebrated Epic Mickey, my partner asked me what I was trying to accomplish. I turned to him and said, "I honestly have no idea." When I finished the last boss, and the game was over, I didn't really know what I had accomplished, other than I didn't really do any of the side tasks.

There were several technical glitches in the game I played. Some of the bad guys were seemingly stuck in the scenery, and couldn't be defeated unless I restarted the game. About every two minutes or so, Mickey would start squirting thinner randomly and running into walls, only to be corrected by repeatedly pulling out the nunchuck. Some characters couldn't be communicated with, even though an A told me I could. Several camera issues made jumping and solving puzzles near impossible.

Oh, how I wanted to love this game, but instead, I surprisingly found myself cursing the game and daring to curse the Disney brandname! It just seems that this game was rushed out to the public before Christmas, without much thought or testing. Perhaps the game would be better on my PS3. I'm still a Disney fan, and consider this mess of a game a blip in otherwise a great name.
on January 23, 2013
I loved Epic Mickey. I have played it at least 5 times and will play it again. Epic Mickey 2, not so great. As many other reviewers have stated, it is over quite abruptly. I was able to beat this game in a fraction of the time it took me to beat the first game. And where is the Haunted Mansion? The Pirates of the Caribbean? In the first game there was quite a bit relating to all the lands, but here only characters here and there. If this is the first Epic Mickey you play, you will like it. And if you love Disneyland, you will still like it. But if you played the first Epic Mickey, you will find this one really unsatisfying, disappointing and not very challenging. I hope they come out with a 3rd version that is more like the 1st. *sigh*