Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 20, 2011
I am really surprised and a little shocked that these toys are being sold at such inflated prices on this website. Maybe I'm naive but I have been a customer of Amazon for many years and this really bothers me. I just purchased this item on Apple's website for $19.99 with free shipping. I already have three of these AppMates (Lightning McQueen, Mater and Finn McMissle) and my grandkids love them. I would have purchased them on Amazon but each time I checked the site before purchasing the only ones for sale were at ridiculously inflated prices. I purchased the single Lightning McQueen at Target for $12.99 and as I mentioned above the sets of two cars for $19.99 plus tax with no shipping charges.

Another tip for people interested in these toys: I ordered a screen protector for my Ipad 2 before getting the toys as I had read reviews saying the toys scratched their screen. Unfortunately, we could not get the toys to work when the protector was in place. We went ahead and played with them without a screen and have had no problem whatsoever with any scratches.

I don't review many products but felt compelled to inform other Amazon customers.
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
I read ALL the previous reviews before purchasing this product. I was VERY afraid to show it to my 2 yr old but I does work. We have the Mater and Fin McMissile appMates. You must find and follow the directions. I played with the cars for 1 hour and at first, I thought that I had a defective product. My son was playing with the packaging and a set of directions fell out. Those directions were hidden in the bottom of the packaging under the cars. The directions say to "squeeze the car's head." If you squeeze the windows of the car while you are playing/interacting with the IPad, you shouldn't have any problems with making the AppMate work. :)

I bought this for my son when he was 2.5 yrs and he didn't have any difficulty keeping the cars activated. We've had the AppMates since March and they still work without any issues or damage to our IPad (we don't have a protective screen cover on it).
on August 9, 2015
They work fine, but the Mater vehicle is hard to hold since you have to make electrical contact with the windows and is hard to do with the shape of Mater and his mirrors. The other car, Finn McMissile is easy to hold on to and works well. I had to buy Lightning McQueen separately through Amazon.
on December 10, 2011
The listed price for these items are $19.99. See the Apple Store website. The toy doesn't always make good connection with the screen so I'm hoping the next set does a better job. My son otherwise likes the "paper" demo mode.
on March 28, 2013
Trust me, this car sure will not bring any harms to your iPad.
I have bought 3 for my kiddos and the whole afternoon they have been racing and my screen are still intact.
One must placed the fingers by the car side in order to make the car move smoothly and not hold the tip top of the car only.
Have a good race!
on July 17, 2015
The service was great and the package arrived earlier than expected but the products is not worth the cost. It doesn't work all the time and if you have protection on your screen which is recommended on the package it doesn't work at all
Arrived in perfect condition. My two pre-schoolers love this app and to be able to get them two more cars for it is awesome. I love that there is no in app purchases and that in order to get more stuff in the app, the kids have to complete certain tasks and earn hub caps to trade in for things like new tires, missiles, tow hitches, colored headlights and more.
on February 28, 2015
My son loves these and they work great on his Mini. The app is a free download and he seems to really enjoy the game. They do, however, have hot wheels cars like these and they are much less expensive. Just an FYI ;)
on February 17, 2012
Love the fine motor skill building...wrapped into hand eye coordination game! Perfect! My kids and I love to play the game and it's a mission that doesn't involve blowing things up or spending more money!
on April 4, 2012
I originally bought these for my 3 year old last year when I still had my iPad 2. Never once scratched the screen however these cars are very frustrating to use for a child. Difficult to connect and he had way more fun playing with the "Paper Lighting McQueen" than the actual cars.

Fast forward a few months - he started using these cars on my new iPad. The screen is completely scratched everywhere. I tried cleaning the screen hoping they were scuff marks but unfortunately they weren't.

Cannot recommend this product to anyone - great concept but poor execution.

See 1 answered question