Recently purchased a 55" Samsung UN55C6800 LED TV and was looking for a calibration disc. I was about the purchase the DVE HD Basics Blu-Ray but saw a press release concerning this DVD, so I decided to wait until this one came out and give it a go.

Published on November 5, 2010 by JC

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but a little lacking
I purchased this for Christmas, and have calibrated 3 tvs with this so far - a 55" Samsung LED, a 42" Samsung Plasma, and a 42" Panasonic Plasma. The verdict? Not bad, not great.

Published on December 28, 2010 by J. Hale

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful user-friendly calibration dvd ---- but will it help you?, November 5, 2010
JC (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

I will preface this by saying I had already used calibrated settings from CNET as well as users on the AVS forums to tweak my TV already. Before using the WoW Blu-Ray I would say I was about 95% satisfied with the picture my TV delivered using the settings I found online. The main reason I bought the blu-ray is I was just interested in seeing all the (albeit non-professional) test patterns used to calibrate a TV and so forth. I went in to this purchase not expecting any vast improvements in Picture Quality over my already somewhat tweaked settings. I know this disc is no substitute for a ISF professional calibration and was not expecting such results.

First, for people who havent purchased, head over to Disney's website and search for this blu-ray. On its Disney page, you'll find at the bottom a link to download the "WoW Technical Manual." This is basically an instruction booklet on how to use the blu-ray, and I found it to be a nice read before I actually received the blu-ray itself. It goes over a lot of the test patterns and how they work.

Here are the contents of the blu-ray:

DISCOVER
The discover section basically gives you an overview of what HDTV is, how a picture is composed, etc.

OPTIMIZE
AUDIO TOOLS
*Speaker ID *Polarity Test *Noise Floor *Buzz & Rattle Test

ADVANCED
ADVANCED VIDEO CALIBRATION TOOLS
*Advanced Brightness & Contrast *Aspect Ratio *Convergence *Chroma & Hue *Sharpness/Focus *Overscan Test *A/V Sync
DISPLAY EVALUATION TOOLS *Purity *Scaling Test *Advanced Scaling 1 & 2 *Sharpness/Focus *Hyperbolic Zone Plate *White-Black Clipping *Viewing Angle Test *Gamma Response *Grayscale *Compound Test Chart
AUDIO TOOLS *Speaker ID *Polarity Test *Noise Floor *Buzz & Rattle Test *A/V Sync *Speaker Level Adjustment *Subwoofer Level Adjustment

EXPERT
PROFESSIONAL TOOLS HD SHOOTOUT Standard DVD vs. HD Blu-ray (BD only)

EXPERIENCE
1-2 minute clips of recent Disney movies.

So....how did it work for me?

First, I love the included manual. Very well written and easy to use. Also, this blu-ray comes with a blue filter gel used to calibrate your colors. (I believe the DVE Blu-Ray also comes with color gels).

The actual DVD menus are wonderful too. Each test pattern has three sections: Overview (description of whay the particular TV setting is important), Instructions (shows the test pattern and clearly talks about how to use it), and finally just the test pattern itself, allowing you to tweak and take as long as you want.

Depending on how familiar you already are with your TV and if you wanted to watch the "Discover" portion of the disc, you can expect to spend anywhere from 1 hour to a few hours with the disc. There is a second included disc called Visions that has a bunch of nature scenery/etc to show off your TV. I did not care for the second disc, but i could see how someone could enjoy it.

At the end of the day, after running through all the tests (some multiple times because other tests later on may change your initial settings), I only changed two settings on my current set-up, and they were very small changes at that. I was disappointed that my settings didnt change too much, but like i said in the beginning I was already very happy with my TV's picture using settings I found online.

For what it is (an average-joe TV calibration blu-ray), this product is wonderful. I highly recommend it for people purchasing their first HDTV as it thoroughly discusses everything a person new to the technology would need to know. If you are the type of person who buys a new TV and starts watching it day 1 on the default settings, this dvd may help a LOT. However, for those who already play around with settings, consumer calibration dvds such as this one will probably not help all that much - especially since we can get decent settings online already from professional review sites or forums.

However, since I am rating the product, it undoubtedly deserves 5 stars. Easy to navigate, well produced, professional, etc. Just understand that if you've already tweaked your TV settings using information you've gathered online, this dvd may not bring that much of a change to your picture settings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Next best thing to a professional calibration., December 11, 2010
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'm an ISF-certified HDTV calibrator and can highly recommend this disc to anyone with an HDTV who wants to get their display adjusted for better images but doesn't want to invest in having a professional calibration done. I've got several other DIY "calibration" DVDs and this one is by far the easiest to use (particularly for first-timers) and does a better than average job of fine-tuning your HDTV. It's the best investment you can possibly make in optimizing the performance of your new DLP, LCD, LED/LCD or plasma HDTV and you'll be rewarded with much better images than your display exhibited out of the box. And, while it won't allow you to properly adjust the color management system or fine-tune the grayscale performance that professional calibrators are able to do (with a $10,000+ plus investment in equipment and training!), it will get you much closer to industry standards and eliminate some of the more common adjustment problems such as the "torch mode" that most HDTV sets exhibit out of the box. Highly recommended and definitely well worth the small investment of time and money. You'll also be better informed about what it takes to make great pictures (and convincing surround sound) and your home entertainment quotient is bound to increase significantly. Try it, you'll definitely like it. Who knows? You might even be so impressed with how much your HDTV performance has increased that you'll go to the Imaging Science Foundation website (www dot imagingscience dot com) and contact a professional calibrator to take you the rest of the way to the maximum performance your new HDTV is capable of with a professional ISF calibration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great calibration Blu-Ray for beginners!, November 13, 2010
David N. (Sunny California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
If you've recently purchased or own an LCD, LED, Plasma, or DLP television, buy this Blu-Ray. Disney's calibration disc is very user friendly and easy to use. As the previous reviewer did, my TV was already calibrated from settings I found on CNET and AVSForum. I was interested to see how my settings compared to the settings changed using this Blu-Ray. My already tweaked settings were pretty close to the settings after calibrating my TV from the blu-ray. I just had to tweak a few things. Regardless, I still give this disc 5 stars. The directions are very easy to follow, plus the blu-ray comes with an instruction booklet. I recommend reading the instruction booklet before using the blu-ray to calibrate your television.

The blu-ray is very easy to navigate. If you need to return to a previous step, it's very easy to do so. After you calibrate your television, there are clips from several Disney movies such as Bolt and Pirates of the Caribbean to view your settings in action. The second disc on the blu-ray called Visions: Inspired By Nature is a stunning HD demo reel. There are scenes of waterfalls, an ocean sunset, flower fields, desert vistas, mountain vistas, a fireplace scene, plus more. You can play each individual scene or run a loop. The second disc is approximately 64 minutes long. The second disc is something you can play in the background if you are having guests over or play it while reading a book or just relaxing.

Overall, I highly recommend this to anyone who owns a high def television who hasn't tweaked their settings. You will learn which each setting on your television does and it learn about surround sound. Like the previous reviewer stated, If you have already calibrated your TV from settings you found online, this disc probably won't help you every much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but a little lacking, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder (DVD)

My main issue is that it really just doesn't go through that many settings to tweak. For example, I have at least 15 settings on my Samsung plasma that can be "tuned". With this Bluray, all I wound up changing with it was the darkness level, the sharpness, and the color. That was literally it. According to the bluray, my saturation and whatnot were already perfect, but I can tell just looking at the TV that the settings are less than optimal. Same story goes for the other two tvs.

From the reviews, I had hoped for a more in-depth calibration bluray. This one doesn't do a bad job, but I think it really just scratches the surface of calibrating. Two of the three tvs didn't look noticeably different when I was done, and the third one just had the brightness way too low from the get-go.

I will give it this - the bluray does do an excellent job of telling you what you're changing and what to do, although I definitely think the explanations will go over most people's heads if they aren't technology-inclined as they were a bit techy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great calibration tool, PS3 users read this, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I haven't tried any other calibration DVD's or Blu's, so I can't compare it to what else is out there on the market, but this disc really helped me with my TV. I haven't done the audio setup yet because I don't have a sound system, but the video tests are great and fairly easy to use.

Important note for anyone using a PS3 to play this disc: Make sure you turn SuperWhite and Full RGB on in your PS3 System Settings, or else some of these tests won't work. It's impossible to do even the Basic Contrast test without SuperWhite turned on.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to get the most out of your home theater in one easy disc!!, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This product is a great buy for anyone who is wanting to get the most out of their home theater, but don't want to pay the ridiculous prices that the Big-Box stores charge to set it up for you. It includes a tutorial(with Goofy demonstrating, it IS a Disney product after all!!)on what home theater components are, what you will need to set it up, how to set it up properly, etc..

Once that is complete, you move into the meat and potatoes of the disc, which is the setup and calibration sections. There are multiple screens to go through to calibrate and get that New HDTV looking better than it was in the store! One great feature this disc has with these screens, is that the true black/white/color shape moves every so often so you can see it. Which helps, because your eye will start seeing what it thinks is the shape if you stare at a stationary object too long. And you have the tendency to add more brightness/contrast than is really necessary.

Disney has included Calibration-specific setups for different types of HDTV's as well, so make sure YOU choose the right one!! Not a deal-ender if you do, it just may make your picture look a little funky because it is setup for a different type of TV.

There are also different calibration setups based on experience level. While it is geared towards the entry-level shopper, Disney has included some great tools for the home Audio/Technophile, or installer on a budget, like the pixel-flipper.

Disney also included clips from movies on this disc in the Blu-Ray format so that you can look at the HDTV in actual use and compare it to the settings you had previously. All without having to remove the disc from your player. All of the clips presented are Disney/Pixar movies. And while they do plug them for sale in this section, it is still a good feature to have on the disc, as it saves you from swapping discs frequently to see how it looks.

Not to be overlooked are the several Audio tools that help you with the setup of your Home Theater Speakers. There are test sounds that you can use to make sure you speakers are hooked up correctly for a beginner. And for the advanced user, there are tests you can use with a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter to see how much performance you are really getting out of that speaker system.

Bottom Line:I would highly recommend this disc for anyone who is just getting started on setting up their home theater. It will help you get so much more out of it!! And for more experienced Audiophiles/Technophiles, you will be pleasantly surprised at the depth of tools available on this disk. Don't just assume because it has the Disney name on it it's geared towards the neophyte crowd!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful calibration disc, May 25, 2011
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I was using professional settings for my TV from a forum over at HDJ and they looked good. But I just wanted to see how good this disc was with these settings.

The profession settings were right in both brightness and contrast. But wrong in the blue filter test and sharpeness.

I did a few tweaks and I am very happy. The colors pop now and the picture looks better overall.

Recommend this disc to anyone looking to get better picture out of their HDTV. Even if you got setting like me from the net.

However the 2nd disc isn't great at all... Save money if you can and get the 1 disc unit.

Only thing I wish they had included would be a green and red filter. So that you could get even better colors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great! Worth the time and small amount of $$$, April 27, 2011
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I had my system calibrated by a professional with the other 2 main companies. I forgot the names, but one was a DVD and the other Blu-Ray. He did a great job and loved it. I purchased this one cause it was newer and I had other TV's i wanted to calibrate. After running the first few tests, I realized that my new 2011 Plasma was under utilized. I ran the test and calibrated it to the WOW and noticed a dramatic increase in color, brightness, shades of black. 2 people wearing different black suits next to each other with shadows, PERFECT!

I highly recommend this for anyone with a Blu Ray player and/or a 7.1 receiver.

The experience, or test clips to see how good your calibration was, were BORING and not worth watching.

Must do: Brightness, Color, Contrast, and Gamma. =Video
Must do: Phase Test and sound check using the sound meter =Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than spending $100+ on calibration., November 28, 2010
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First impression, and only one.

This BD is perfect for the average to above average home theater enthusiast who wants to check and even calibrate their video and audio of their home theater. This disc helped me fix a display problem I never knew I had since purchasing my 47"-LCD three years ago. Now I wonder how I watched tv with the display set incorrectly.

I have yet to try and calibrate the system since my receiver supposedly does that for you...which I have done.

If you have never had or calibrated your home theater display this is definitely worth it. The beginner portion of the calbiration is super easy to use and the explanations are straight forward as far as what you are supposed to be looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney WOW Blu-ray Region Information, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Disney WOW: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I recently purchased this with trepidation because I reside In Australia.

However I found out very quickly that this Blu-ray version is Region Free, not Region 1 as indicated
in the Disney WOW Blu-ray specifications.

Amazon please note.