‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very impressed with this book and Highly reccomend it, October 24, 2007
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
In my opinion Walt Disney World with Disabilities is the best book out there for anyone with a health condition. We own several Disney guide books including another one designed for special needs at Disney. Nothing else I've read describes the way the rides feel as well as this book does. The writers really paid attention to every sensation and experience, and they share it all in an easy to read and understand style. It's also packed with useful and practical suggestions for the parks, resorts and dining.

I also highly recommend this book to parents who wish to choose appropriate rides and shows for their children. Really it's great for anyone who wants to know what a ride feels like before trying it.

I've gone to Disney many times over the years with my wife and kids. One of the things that I've found most challenging is deciding which rides are suitable for my children, and for me. It can be really confusing sometimes, because the Disney warnings are all encompassing. For example, many ride warning signs say that a person with back or neck problems should not ride. Yet some of these are fine for me. This book really gives you a sense of the true intensity and experience, and I find the descriptions to be right on target.

Conversely, there are rides that I thought would be fine, because there was no special warning posted by Disney, but I was shocked to find there were jolts or unexpected things that bothered my condition or scared my kids. I found that Walt Disney World with Disabilities reveals every one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great book: Should be called Walt Disney World for Everyone!, January 26, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
This book should be called Walt Disney World for Everyone! I think everybody should read this book who wants to go to Disneyworld. I started reading it as an Occupational Therapist, but I found myself to be really riveted by the wealth of information that applied to me personally and to my family. As a mother of 6 kids, I really believe that these are the things a mother really wants and needs to know.

This book is so thorough. Its an A-Z guide that has things you wouldn't think to even ask about that were so helpful, and it will help parents make important decisions. For example, you don't want to spend time in lines for attractions that won't be good for you or your kids. The descriptions were so good that they really helped me know what would and wouldn't be worth our time. And those lines can be tough to wait in with impatient and tired kids! The book helps you plan your day so you get the most out of your time, and it will save me hours of waiting in lines for rides that would have turned out badly. There's so much useful information like this that will help our family be so much more comfortable.

I think it will also be fantastic for people with health problems. My husband can't do a lot of walking and there were services for him that I had no idea about.

The authors really put themselves into this book - it's not just a manual, but it's so much more interesting and informative to read than anything else I've seen. It's very easy reading because it's got a personal touch to it. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very needed guide will make Disney a breeze, January 27, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
I manage a home health agency in South Florida and have many disabled clients that I felt would benefit from this book. I just finished it and was very impressed with its explicit content and wide range of disabilities it addressed. For anyone who knows someone with any type of disability or medical problem and is planning a trip to Disney World, I would recommend this as a great resource. The reader learns how to make the event as smooth and carefree as possible. I found it also ideal for the elderly person who wants to remain active and get the most out of their visits!

A few specifics that I would like to point out. I like the way the index is so clear. If you're only interested in particular subjects it makes it very easy to find. I was also surprised that this book addresses so many things that are not necessarily disabilities, but can still interfere with your trip such as fatigue and allergies. I find that it's a great resource for minor conditions as well as for more serious disabilities. This book may be of interest to people who never considered going to Disney, but now can go because they have the advantage of the guidelines given in this book.

Judy Klockow
Administrator, Gold Coast Elder Care

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, well designed, complete, ENABLING!, January 24, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
Walt Disney World With Disabilities, by Stephen Ashley, is a marvelous enabler to adventure for those normally reticent to step out of the "safety zone" of the limits and boredom that often accompany physical disabilities. Side-line spectating or only listening to stories about the fun experiences of others can give way to personal experience and enjoyment facilitated by the well-researched tips, advice, descriptions, warnings and encouragements that this user-friendly book offers.

The attention to detail relieves the fear-factor of the unknown that the disabled normally have to deal with. The easy to use format describing just about every ride, attraction, restaurant, and venue found in the whole of Disney World, places empowering knowledge at the finger tips of every disabled and special needs visitor. If you are fortunate enough to obtain a copy, you may find it to be a "master-key" to a world of safe Disney fun. Since my own mother is confined to a wheel-chair, I offer my personal thanks to Stephen Ashley for this amazing reference."

Dr. Richard Risi

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Thorough Info for People With Disabilities, November 2, 2007
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
This book is very well researched and incredibly thorough. It is an invaluable tool for Disney travelers with disabilities -- sure to make the visit a much more enjoyable, worthwhile vacation. Two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! It had everything I needed and more., January 7, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
I can't applaud this book enough. I've been to Disney many times and I like to have my trip really thought out and planned in advance. When traveling to Disney I spend a lot of time on the web and I read several Disney guide books to see what's new and to help me plan. (I usually read several at Barnes & Nobel and I then buy a few of my favorites on Amazon if there's time for shipping.) I learned so much that I never knew from this book and I found that in many ways it went way beyond what I saw on the web or in other guide books.

For example it was full of unique and very helpful suggestions. Some of my favorites: I especially loved the one on how to improve your chances of getting your special requests honored by your chosen Disney resort. I usually have a lot of special requests for my hotel room. I was amazed to learn how much Disney will do for you, even having been there before. But it was so advantageous to see how to improve your chances that they'll come through with your requests. I also thought the entire section on choosing the right Disney resort really gave the lowdown on things that will really help people with disabilities make the best choice for their situation.

The suggestions for reducing discomfort on many of the rides were great, especially with my neck pain and tendency towards migraines. I have to agree with the other readers who posted about how the rides were described in this guide. I found that each ride had pretty much everything stated you could ever want to know about it, and its well worth the price of the book for that feature alone.

It was very complete about wheelchair and accessibility information for the rides too. Although I'm not in a wheelchair, I have several friends who are, and this would be really helpful for them.

Speaking of that, every restaurant had pretty much the whole story on accessibility, and menu information too. We follow a pretty strict diet because of health complications, so this was great. By the way, their website actually has the menus for every restaurant at Disney and the policy of each restaurant for how they deal with special diet requirements. It's at [...]

I also loved the way this book was written. The style is like someone having a conversation with me, instead of like reading a manual, but on the top of each ride there's a quick notes box and a cautions box. This makes it easy to do a quick scan of each ride, and the tips are easy to find and scan quickly too.

I want to add that I found this book to be super accurate and I'm a long time Disney fan and vacationer. I read this book from cover to cover and I think it's a gem and very reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars In-depth and very helpful, January 28, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
Walt Disney World with Disabilities by Stephen Ashley provides a thorough and personal compilation of tips and descriptions that can only come from years of experience. By using the insight he has gained through his numerous trips to Disney World, the author leaves nothing out.

This book can be used in various ways: for preparation and as a guide while at the park. I found it useful at the park to read the ride descriptions before taking my chances on an attraction. His descriptions evoke all of the senses, so I felt assured that there would be no surprises.

It made the trip relaxing and enjoyable. I would highly recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Disney World with disabilities of any kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!!, February 6, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
When my grandmother recently called to say she wanted to visit Disney, I was a bit hesitant. I assumed that we would face too many obstacles to enjoy a visit since she doesn't walk very well and is diabetic. But aiming to please my favorite grandmother, I began researching our options and stumbled upon this excellent book by author Stephen Ashley.

We used the book as a tool when we planned our trip to Disney. The best part about this book is that it is a guide; you do not need to read the entire book in one sitting. It comes packed with all sorts of information, including useful telephone numbers and Web sites. With nearly 200 pages, the book covers things you should know about Magic Kingdom (my favorite!), Epcot, Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios) and Animal Kingdom, and the author even has an accompanying Web site that I found extremely valuable.

We learned where to find wheelchair rentals, and how restaurants and attractions accommodate people with disabilities or limited mobility. The book also gave detailed descriptions about the attractions and what to expect. And with my grandmother's diabetes, I especially found useful tips about special diets and how to deal with insulin shots (You can actually have it refrigerated at the First Aid station, or just bring a small cooler pack). The book also provides information for people who have epilepsy, bladder or stomach problems, allergies and visual impairment, among other things.

The book gave great tips about staying at Disney's resorts. Initially, I planned for my grandmother to stay with me since I live in Central Florida, but after reading this book, I realized the immense value of staying on property. First of all, when you stay at any Disney resort, you are guaranteed admission to the parks even when they reach capacity. The resorts also make sure ALL their room doors are big enough for wheelchairs to pass through, and you can make special room requests when you book your stay. I never knew these things, and I've lived here and have visited Disney almost my entire life!

As a volunteer in the Orlando-area, I deal with children who have physical and developmental disabilities, and I wondered how their parents found accommodations for them throughout the park. I always was curious how they did it all but still made sure their family had an enjoyable time. This book answered that question, and I had an amazing experience with my family when we visited the parks.

I really felt that Ashley wrote with an in-depth knowledge from years of experience. According to the introduction, he spent several years researching and experiencing how to navigate through Disney. He provides easy-to-read information about the best way to experience the parks, despite your sensitivities or disabilities.

I also loved about this guide how frank the author is. He tells you exactly what problems he and his family have run into when they have visited Disney and how they went about solving them.

After reading this guide, I realized something: Disney's magic truly is for everyone. It just takes some planning, and this guide helped my family and I have a wonderful time.

If you couldn't tell already, I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide books for those with disabilities but can be helpful for everyone!, January 25, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
As an employee of a non-profit organization that deals with children who have illnesses and as a parent to a child with special needs, Walt Disney World with Disabilities in a much needed resource. I highly recommend it to my constituents as a valuable guide in navigating the Disney parks. It is packed with detailed information that is useful for anyone visiting Disney with or without medical concerns. A great find!
Nancy Hart-Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Every travel agent who sells Disney should own this book., March 1, 2008
This review is from: Walt Disney World with Disabilities (Paperback)
I book a lot of Disney World vacations for clients and bought this book as a resource that I figured I would use occasionally. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and scope of issues addressed within the book. The authors did a really good job of listing every attractions and describing elements that might create an issues for guests with various needs.

For example - you expect a book specializing in disabilities to address wheelchair access and loading proceedures. You don't automatically assume that it will mention that a musty smell might be an issue for someone with respiratory issues or that a strobe light might be an issue for an epileptic or a migrain sufferer.

Instead of using the book from time-to-time, I've found myself flipping through it regularly to help clients address a wide spectrum of issues - both mild and serious - and even to warn parents about frightening componants of various attractions. The book also has a lot of information for guests with food allergies.

This book will be a fantastic resource for the individual traveler but it is also a great ready reference for travel agents who really try to go the extra mile to insure a good experience for their clients.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Walt Disney World with Disabilities
Walt Disney World with Disabilities by Stephen Ashley (Paperback - Oct. 2008)
$22.95 $18.47