Automotive Deals Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick BOTYSFKT Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on June 7, 2011
I first bought a Dell UltraSharp U2711 to replace a Dell Ultrasharp 24' that stopped working after 6 years. The whole purpose of getting a bigger monitor was so that I have more desktop space. Sadly I was kind of irritated that when i plugged in the mini-display port to HDMI, it didn't give me the 2560 x 1440 resolution that I wanted. So I did some research to see if people had this issue as well. Based on what I found, Dell didn't give any help at all, so i checked Apple's side and the only solution was to buy their Dual-link DVI Adapter, which I thought was way overpriced, so I decided to look for other cheaper and of course a less bulky solution.

I tried the mini-display port to normal single-link DVI, that didn't work, so my last bet was the display port, which according to specs, can go up to 30' monitor. The Dell UltraSharp U2711 came with a display port but I needed a mini-displayport to displayport to work with my MacBookPro 15' (mid 2010). Based on the reviews I decided to give it a try since it was cheap, also it was my last other option before I had to go buy Apple's Dual-link Adapter (being the very last resort).

Gladly to say that when the cable arrived, I was very excited (and also praying that it works), I quickly connected it to my MBP and my Dell UltraSharp U2711.....and it worked!

I'm now running Dual Screen + MBP with the following configuration.

1. Dell UltraSharp U2711 @ 2560 x 1440.
2. Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP @ 1920 x 1200. (Using a USB to DVI HD adapter from Sewell))
3. MBP LCD @ 1680 x 1050.

I hope this review will help those that are in the same situation as I was or those that I planning to upgrade their monitor to Dell Ultrasharp U2711. (By the way it is an awesome monitor, just make sure you pay that extra bit for the 5 year warranty). Have fun!

Andrew Boey
Singapore
55 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2010
Bought this cable due to good experiences with monoprice in the past. However I have had frequent problems with my display going blank and showing no signal after a sleep session. I am using an NEC Multisync PA271w (not a cheap monitor) as my primary (and NEC PA241w as secondary). I am running a mac pro with ati 5870 video card

I just received a notice from NEC which I have summarized/quoted below.

In short, it appears this cable may be the problem and until further testing is done, I can't recommend buying one. I

Update 10/22/2010 - I bought a minidisplayport to displayport adapter Altaz Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter for Apple MacBook and then hooked it to the regular displayport cable that came with my monitor - it has solved all my problems and now works 100% normally. Until monoprice fixes this cable or offers another one, I would recommend this solution as an alternative.

------

Summary
When using certain incorrectly manufactured 3rd party Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables to connect a display to a host computer, problems such as the following may arise:
Host computer is unable to power on.
Host computer is unable to correctly enter sleep modes.
Host computer is unable to correctly resume from sleep modes.
Display is unable to be turned on or display video correctly.
Incorrect display resolution or corrupted video is shown.
This issue has been indentified in several configurations including when displays are connected to Apple Mac Pro computers, with video cards such as the ATI Radeon 5870 or 5770. However, it may also impact other Apple products when connected to a display via the Mini DisplayPort connector. This issue may also impact other non-Apple products that use a Mini DisplayPort connector.
Impacted models of NEC displays include: PA241W-BK, PA241W-BK-SV, PA271W-BK and PA271W-BK-SV, only when connected via DisplayPort.
Cause
Certain Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables available in the market were incorrectly manufactured and do not adhere to the DisplayPort design specification. This defect can cause the above symptoms to appear. The defective cables may be marked or sold as "DisplayPort certified" and contain the DisplayPort logo.
These cables are not manufactured or sold by NEC.
Current Status
At this time NEC is still investigating the brands of cables that have this problem, and is working with the manufacturers to correct their design. Until the full extent of this issue is determined, NEC is unable to recommend a certain specific model or brand of cable that is guaranteed to be manufactured correctly
1616 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2011
This cable does not comply with the DisplayPort wiring specification. If my MacBook Pro or Dell U2410 go to sleep or power cycle, the monitor will not recover. This cable connects power pins that should not be connected, thereby, upsetting both the computer and monitor. I purchased a properly wired cable from circuitassembly.com and it works perfectly.
on February 26, 2013
I bought this cable to connect a 2009 Macbook Pro to a Dell U3011 monitor. It worked exactly once, then stopped working after I power cycled the monitor with the cable attached. The mini displayport port on the MBP still works fine, hooked it to the monitor via HDMI (at lower res). So this cable just stopped working. Come to find out this cable is falsely advertised as displayport certified. From everything I have read the cable is wired improperly and screws up the monitor detection. I have read it can even screw up the ports due to power pins being connected incorrectly. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CABLE. I bought an Accell cable from Newegg which IS certified and should work fine.

** Update ** The Accell cable works perfectly. The U3011 is a beautiful monitor at the maximum resolution of 2560x1600. The Accell cable is Model B119B-007J 6.6 ft. Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort.
on November 29, 2013
The cable is so cheap and works as it's supposed to: it connects my Macbook Pro 15 Mid 2010 directly to a Dell U2711 monitor. My computer instantly recognizes the monitor and pumps out 2560x1440 of glorious pixels without me having to do anything.

So why does this cable only get 1 star -- it sounds like it deserves all 5, right? Not so fast, my friends! Two weeks later, my screen would randomly goes black, i.e. no signal, for a brief 2-3 seconds. The frequency of this random signal-drop increases everyday to a point of making the external monitor unusable. This issue doesn't happen if I used the mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter so I know it's not my laptop. I even tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM of my Macbook to no avail. So I called Dell customer rep to see if it could be a problem with the monitor.

At first, when the Dell rep asked if I had tried a different cable, I almost LOLed at him and didn't believe it was the cable's fault at because you know, being a digital cable, it either works or it doesn't. But since the StarTech cable is also so cheap, I decided to give that cable a try. Guess what? No more random black-outs!
on January 30, 2014
This is the second monoprice cable I've ever bought. I bought both due to lower price point and recommendations by other people for "cheap cables". Unfortunately, this is the second monoprice cable I've bought that doesn't work properly. I hesitated to buy this one based on past experience but I assumed that the people recommending them to me must have had much better luck.

This cable has the same screen flickering and blackout issues that other users have reported. Though intermittent, it should not happen at all. I believe the issue I am seeing has to do with the mini-display port connector, as nudging it a bit seems to often stop the flickering or fix the signal. I am using this with a macbook pro via the thunderbolt port, but have the same issue with the mini-display port on a different macbook as well.

I haven't yet found the cable I'm going to replace this with, but I'd recommend avoiding this one.
on May 15, 2010
This cable was purchased for connecting an Apple MacBook Pro laptop to a Dell DisplayPort enabled monitor. The length is adequate, get the 6-foot version to have some length to work with, not the 3-foot one. If your device supports audio, this cable does support it and works well having audio through the monitor instead of connecting another cable to the computer.
Overall, I would recommend this cable if you have a Mini DislayPort connection and don't want an annoying converter box.
1010 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2010
Worked for a week then started getting DisplayPort link failure warnings. No longer works at all. Would be a good price if it was reliable...
on May 9, 2014
This cable itself is fine... no complaints, works, doesn't fall out, no visual glitches, etc. It's everything you could want in a DisplayPort cable... unless you want a different color or length.

If you've got a DisplayPort monitor and video card, this sort of cable is the way to go. Though my monitor doesn't support it, DP allows monitors to be daisy-chained so one output port can run multiple monitors.

Most things that can do DisplayPort can probably also do HDMI. If you have a choice, DisplayPort is usually considered the better option.

1) It's royalty-free (HDMI isn't)
2) It supports higher bandwidth signals - higher resolutions, higher refresh rates, multiple monitors
3) Adapters can convert it to VGA, HDMI, or DVI (HDMI can only convert to DVI).
4) Multiple standards for HDMI cables (not all HDMI cables are equally capable), but only one standard for DisplayPort cables.

HDMI is really intended for consumer electronics... TVs, Blu-ray/DVD players, etc. As such it's use cases tend to fit better with that sort of thing. It's more ubiquitous.

DisplayPort was designed to replace the VGA and then DVI standards for computer video. It's rarer, but if your equipment supports it, it'll be the better option. If nothing else, it gives you more flexibility, since it can easily adapt to more other standards than HDMI can.
on August 9, 2010
I bought this so I could hook up my Thinkpad from work to my 27" iMac at home as an external monitor. Works great from the DisplayPort out on the Thinkpad to mini displayport in on the 27" iMac
55 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse