Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on April 23, 2012
Okay, I thought I got a bunk dongle. It doesn't say anything like "Monoprice" on it and I couldn't get sound. [Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8]

1) I had gone to System Preferences for Sound and selected my HDMI in the outputs ... but that wasn't working. After much fiddling I had a sudden memory/revelation:

2) Go to Audio MIDI Setup (it's in your Applications-->Utilities or just Spotlight it) and find your HDMI output in the list on the left. Highlight it and where it says "Format" in the right pane, change it from 96000.0 Hz to 44100.0 Hz.

Your Audio MIDI Setup configuration might look different from mine but the key is to ratchet down those Hz.

Good luck and happy listening!
33 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2012
This adapter was purchased to connect a 27" Apple iMac to an HD-TV. The fairly new Thunderbolt ports on the Mac aren't supported by many peripherals, yet. This adapter does just what was needed: Audio & video from the Mac to an HD-TV via a standard HDMI cable. Works great! Just remember to switch the audio out to the external HDMI cable, via System Preferences. Plex is used to watch the digitized videos, which makes it even easier, as Plex can automatically switch the audio to the external HDMI, and back again, when Plex is quit.
on January 17, 2011
Just the Part I needed. Does what its supposed to do an that is connecting my Macbook Pro to my LCD TV. No Volume transfer but can be easily fixed by using an audio plug to audio plug cable.
on June 4, 2013
I bought this mini adapter after getting a television. I love being able to stream video online and watch it on my tv. I finally got it and it worked great. (after we figured out the audio issue). Ive had it barely a month and its already stopped working. The HDMI cord works fine. I tested it on a different device. It wont register that it is plugged into the port anymore. Sad times man.
on September 10, 2013
I chose 5 stars simply because:
This is cheap.
It arrived in great time.
It did exactly what I needed.

Just to note, I hate the speakers on my tv, so I plug my speakers as well as the adapter into
My MacBook Air, so essentially I use my tv like an external monitor... Which I like just fine.
on March 29, 2014
I have a 2013 MacBook Air, a Samsung 32" Smart HDTV, and a 25' HDMI cable. Now everything on my computer screen is on my TV, simple as that. I can do a mirror display or an extra display as simple as plugging the adapter into my computer. When I first plugged it in, I had to select the right audio output and tweak the display settings to work right with my devices, but that was it. Five minutes in System Preferences and it was done. Contrary to some reviews I read, it DOES play iTunes files over the TV screen, which is great since I only have a few movies and TV shows on iTunes. The Smart TV is great for Netflix and Amazon, but terrible for browsing without a dedicated keyboard and mouse. Now, I don't need those things or an AppleTV, because it fulfills all of those roles.
I bought an extra-long HDMI male to male cable (25ft on Amazon for about $7) and I plugged it in behind the TV, ran it behind the entertainment center and along the wall to the couch. Very discreet, and whenever I want to show my wife or other family something from my computer that I can't otherwise get on the Smart TV, it's as simple as plugging in the cord and switching the source input with my remote. Always ready and available, seamless and simple. And for less than $15 with Prime shipping, it got here in 48 hours and was up and running before the UPS guy got down the block.

Pros
- Extremely cheap
- Works flawlessly
- No extra hardware or software required--if you have a TV with HDMI inputs, all you need is an extra HDMI cable of sufficient length and you're set.

Cons
- Cheap, so it could break or stop working (I have had no problems after a month of occasional use--honestly I would just buy another one if it broke)

I would recommend this to anyone with an HDMI-ready TV and a Mac that has a display port and is compatible.
on January 8, 2016
It worked for a little bit, but then it stopped working completely. When I would use it and it would manage to work it gave me a hard time. I would have to wiggle it around in my port, possible messing my port up and if it wasn't in there perfectly it wouldn't play music..
on January 13, 2014
I’m not sure if it’s the iMac (though i highly doubt it) it’s virgin plugs, along with a monitor that i’ve used with another PC for about 6 months, work GREAT when this device works… but about once an hour or so, the monitor will go black for just a second, sometimes for several seconds and come back up. and sometimes it goes black and when it comes back there is very high-res “snow” on the screen. yes, snow - the oldskool tv antenna appearance constantly moving black and white pixels-snow. i’m told this is an HDMI ‘feature’ to let you know that there is no signal. Because I cannot diagnose what the problem is, i’ll give the box 3 stars. it does the job, and i may have either gotten a bad one, or have some connection issue other than this box. great price tho.
on April 13, 2013
I highly recommend this to anyone looking to connect their Surface Pro to the big screen.
I was looking for a cable that will work well and be compact. There's zero need for you to buy the expensive cable from Microsoft.
This will do just fine, and you won't be sorry.

This cable works perfectly with the Microsoft Surface Pro tablet (I have the 128GB version, but I don't think it matters).
If I'm not mistaken, the Surface RT does not have a mini DisplayPort (mDP) port, so this cable is not what Surface RT owners should get.

The cable provided both audio and video to my receiver and TV, and I was able to watch the HD recording of the 2012 Olympics on the big screen, with 5.1 audio.
on February 18, 2014
Ive bought at least 4-5 HDMI to Thunderbolt cables off of Amazon in the last 2 years and its always the same. They work great for a few months and then the Audio starts to cut out and then the whole cable stops working. Well the last time I bought one I swore I wouldn't buy another so when It broke I started looking for alternatives. Thats when I came across this little guy. Ive had it for 6months at least and still works like a charm. Would defiantly recommend to anyone with a Mac. Like the title says it just works much better than the alternative.