Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 8, 2011
I bought this adapter from United Integral to connect my MacBook Pro with a Dell E228WFPc monitor that I have used for years with another computer. I wanted this adapter so I could keep my Apple adapter in my carrying case for use with presentations. However, when I connected my MacBook Pro with this adapter I had an awful surprise. Pictures and words on the screen were blurry. Since I had used this monitor with another computer I knew it wasn't the monitor. I switched out the adapter for my Apple one and the picture and words were crisp. I tried multiple pages on a web browser and an MS Word document. All gave very noticibly blurry text, etc. Be sure and compare to a higher quality adapter. The difference is obvious. I'm going to try to send it back. We'll see how that goes.
Update: I contacted United Integral and they sent me another one to try. It also did not work but also had multiple shifted images on the screen. I went back and tried the first one and if I switch web pages it also cannot stabillize the image. Over and over I tried the Apple adapter in the same circumstances and with the same web pages and it worked fine. I contacted United Integral and was promptly told my money would be refunded so my experience with the company has been excellent but my experience with this product not good.
22 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2011
I found this cable very easy to use, it works fine with my dell XPS 15 (l502x), I know this cable has been designed for mac books, but the conector is the same, I'm very satisfected with the cable, if I must add any disvantages the only one is that the connector is white color (it doesnt fit really good with a black grey color laptop, but I dont really care about this) another disvantage is that the cable isnt really long, but for my setup it is perfect, and the last posible disvantage is that sometimes it may be a little hard to plug/unplug the connector due it small design. but like I said all those are minor stuff, I recomend this cable for anyone owning a laptop who wants to connect a external screen or projector using vga conections.
on August 22, 2011
I'm using this mini display port-VGA adapter to run an extra VGA monitor from a mid-2011 27" iMac under Lion. The adapter is well-constructed. The "design and style" are uninspired, but come on! It's a cable adapter; how much design and style does it need? I gave it five stars mainly because it follows the Apple design philosophy: It just works! Product arrived timely, and there where no hidden "gotcha's" in the transaction. Good product, good vendor.
on April 7, 2011
Product arrived in good time.

In appearance, it's not quite as slick as a genuine Apple product.

In performance, there's no difference. I connected it to the VGA end of the monitor cable, and plugged it into the port on my Macbook running 10.6.7. It worked immediately. The screen went black, and within a second I had two screens.

I use this to replace the screen. That is, I close the lid of the Macbook and click the mouse to let the Mac know to get out of sleep. My desktop is not on the external monitor.

Works great.
on October 23, 2011
I ordered from HDE. The displayport can SUPER fast, and looks really nice! Does not look cheap at all. Hooked it up to my monitor and Mac Mini, no problems whatsoever. It's been working for a month so far. Great!

Update 2/2012: After having used this for a few months, I have to downgrade the star rating. Sometimes, the display will become pretty horrible, somewhat fuzzy, with light and dark horizontal striations, as if you were looking at an old CRT screen with flickers. This can last anywhere from a few seconds to a few hours. And then it will snap back to being a good picture.

Update 4/2012 - The adapter has now completely died (after 5-6 months). I got an Apple adapter, and the display problem was instantly solved. So...horrible adapter unless you need some REALLY short term solution. Save your money and get a real Apple adapter.
66 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2010
good price shipped fast it works fine I use it to connect a second monitor.
it is only about 6" long a longer one would get the bulky connector a better distance from the computer
all in all it's a good product
on November 26, 2011
I bought this thinking it would be a cheaper substitute for the Apple brand adapter. Well, it certainly was cheaper. It worked well for a couple presentations in one room, but then a month later it failed to work properly for presentations in a different room. It appeared that the refresh rate settings were off, because part of the screen would flicker. I tried manually changing the settings on my MacBook Pro, but that was useless. A colleague let me borrow her Apple brand adapter and that worked perfectly. I consider this purchase a waste since I no longer trust that it will work properly in all situations, and I plan to buy the Apple version.
on June 30, 2011
This item is exactly like apple's only cheaper. It does not have the small screen logos apple's has.

I bought it because I once had a problem with the mac adapter, because of it being buried in plastic in the edges of the VGA connector, and in this picture, the connector pops slightly out of the plastic casing. However, is is the same as apple's - I have added an image comparing the original and this one.
on February 14, 2014
I was using this adapter on a Mac Pro. Worked out of the box and lasted for about 3 weeks. At that point it started to cut in and out and left me without a second monitor (use it for 3D design and photo editing). I couldn't figure out what the deal was, but when I booted in my Windows 7 partition, Windows said it detected a monitor but that the adapter was faulty. Picked up a genuine Apple adapter and everything works as is.

I've purchased many "generic" adapters in the past and have had a 50/50 success rate. For the price, it's not worth returning. Oh well. I suppose thats the risk that you take.

I can say however the quality is noticeable between this and a genuine. In fact, this adapter with a slightly longer cord weighs 22g where the genuine adapter was 33g. I know, I know I sound like crazy person weighing adapters but I noticed it when I took the Apple one out of the box and got curious. But as I said, you get what you pay for and in this case, I got 3 weeks.
on August 11, 2015
I bought this to be able to use my external monitor alongside my macbook. It works okay, but it sometimes gets loose and my monitor won't display anything. It's a balancing act to make sure the adapter is positioned correctly in order for the monitor to work. I guess you get what you pay for.