Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Disquiet, Please!: More Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on December 12, 2012
"Disquiet Please" is substantially less successful than the book to which it forms a sequel, "Fierce Pajamas". That's because the earlier book had a heavy dose of classic pieces from such masters of humor as S.J. Perelman and James Thurber, while "Disquiet Please" focuses on contemporary stuff, most of which only serves to demonstrate the sad devolution of taste in humor and language in the past few decades. I hasten to add that I am in my late 20's and thus immune to accusations of fogeyism. (Or am I?) With few exceptions, the pieces published since 2000 are written with a middle school vocabulary and are mired in crude sex jokes and profanity; what's worse, they aren't funny. That said, there are some diamonds hidden among the scrap metal: Ian Frazier's and Veronica Geng's contributions are priceless as always; among the modern pieces, Noah Baumbach's "Van Gogh in AOL" (imagining the famous artist transported to the Computer Age) brought a knowing chuckle; and there are enough classics scattered here and there (Peter DeVries' parodies are particular favorites of mine) to keep me happy. So, while it can't match the first book in consistency of quality, "Disquiet, Please" still provides delight.
on March 9, 2009
While the essays in the first part of this book by Thurber, Woody Allen and David Owen, to name just a few, were witty, at some point the writing lost some of the humor and began to be labored. Dated pieces from the 1920's lost their effect when the names are no longer in the consciousness today. These older essays reminded me of when I watched an old Milton Berle show and wondered why it had seemed funny fifty years ago. Still,David Owen's 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Ex-Wife brought a grin (and I don't have an ex-wife). I also liked the contemporary Donald Rumsfield Orders Breakfast at Denny's by Frank Gannon. But, about two-thirds of the way through this, I was glad I had got it from the library and not put my money out for this. I finished it as a testament to my determination.
on February 12, 2011
Obviously what you find funny is very subjective, but I found the hit-to-miss ratio here was only about 1 out 4. It's nice and thick though so through law of averages there are some gems.
on September 18, 2009
This is a great book. It's very similar to the previous New Yorker humor compilation, "Fierce Pajamas," except that it includes much more material by more contemporary humorists. As much as I love James Thurber and Dorothy Parker, the contemporary humorists resonate more with me. Quite a funny book.
on March 10, 2011
Disquiet, Please! is a collection of humor writing from the New Yorker magazine and was just what we expected! It features humorous essays that have been written by well-known authors and have been published over the years in the New Yorker. The writing covers a huge number of topics and is uniformly excellent, varied, and guaranteed to produce at least a smile, if not outright laughter to the point of tears. We highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a good read and plenty of reasons to laugh.
on February 27, 2009
I bought this book as a gift for my husband...and ultimately, for myself. We both are very happy with the contents and the variety of literary people contributing to this anthology.
on January 13, 2009
The book is well written and smartly done. It was a Christmas gift for my husband, Bryan. Although neither of us has finished it, we both are enjoying the pages we have read.
on August 21, 2014
Of some of the finest contemporary writing... Absorbing and witty... Hugely recommend.
David Sedaris....Woody Allen et al...am going to start the next one soon....
on November 28, 2012
Much better than the first book. This collection features more contemporary writers, some who currently contribute to The New Yorker.
on March 22, 2015
years of great humor and wit from the New Yorker.
Can browse this for years and years.