4.0 out of 5 stars I think Peter Gotti wrote the bad reviews!
Published on July 31, 2012 by C's Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, overall.
Interesting, but definitely slow at parts. Probably about 100 pages too long. Frankly, I feel like writing a book like this puts Judge Block in a difficult position. He's lived such an amazing life and had such a full career that it's probably impossible to include all of the biggest moments without the book dragging a bit.

A good perspective on trial court...
Published 21 months ago by WEK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I think Peter Gotti wrote the bad reviews!, July 31, 2012
This review is from: Disrobed: An Inside Look at the Life and Work of a Federal Trial Judge (Hardcover)
As a lawyer who has come across Judge Block in my career, I have to say I received my copy with trepidation after reading all the negative reviews. Not to worry, even with a couple of distracting kids around, I managed to power through the book in about 4 days. The book is an easy read - not full of boring dissertations that will put you to sleep, but filled with amusing anecdotes that will have you chuckling (there are a couple of stories that I am surprised a sitting judge would include!). The comments about Judge Block not being humble, makes me think the reviewer has never dealt with a federal judge. As the old joke goes, "What's the difference between God and a federal judge? God doesn't think he's a federal court judge." Believe me, Judge Block is humble compared to most of the judges I've met in my career. There are things I think he could have expanded and subjects where he could have delved deeper, but for all I know, the publisher might have cut parts (it is a long book).

5.0 out of 5 stars Content lives up to its promising title., September 9, 2012
It certainly didn't hurt that a former President of the United States endorsed the book. Couple that with a title that promised a great deal and I was hooked to buy it. As a trial lawyer, my biggest regret was that I had not had the opportunity to try a case in this Judge's courtroom. By the end of the book you get to know the Judge, and like him. Wise and Humble. Honest and open. Easy to read. Kind to his peers and to the parties who appeared before him in very thoughtful ways. The Judge shares insights you can't get without sitting on the bench, and offers innovative thinking about ways to improve the legal system, although he does not come right out and say that. His book will make me a better lawyer and a better citizen. The title offered a great deal, so I was ready to be dissapointed... but I wasn't. The Judge delivered what the title promised. I wish I had read this book 30 years ago, but alas, it hadn't been written. I am giving copies to several young lawyers so that they will have the book before lots of their career time passes. For someone interested in the Federal Legal system, the law and the politics, I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, overall., March 27, 2013

A good perspective on trial court judging--particularly for the lay person. Lay readers should take care, however, to remember that the way Judge Block makes decisions is not necessarily the way a judge should make decisions. Judicial philosophy is subject to substantial debate.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun read, July 30, 2012
Judge Block has a great, easygoing voice -- reading his book is like hearing anecdotes over a relaxing meal, not like reading a stuffy legal text. You'll learn a lot from "Disrobed," but you'll be entertained at the same time -- the contents are meant to appeal to both lawyers/law students and readers with little to no background legal knowledge. It's an inside look at some of the bigger headline cases of the past couple of decades, like the trial of Peter Gotti, and some of the more controversial legal topics that are always a basis for a heated debate, like guns and the death penalty.

5.0 out of 5 stars I did a nonjury trial with Judge Block and the book relects him well., December 30, 2012
I had the pleasure of trying a nonjury case before Judge Block and the book reflects this great man. What was more insightful was the story of his life and his outlook. I was dumbfounded at a poor review that was written, but I guess you can't please everybody. What was really great was to read about other Justices that I also crossed in my career, namely Hon. Stuart Namm and Hon. Maurice Brill. It also put the face on the Clayton motion that I had filed many times over the years. If you read closely you will notice that he made a big difference in our lives and he rarely was compensated for his big efforts. I have first hand experience with having handled criminal matters and an admiralty trial and attest to the wide spectrum of cases he faces daily. I hope he stays on the bench for many more years in good health.

Joseph Giaramita, Esq.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating inside look, July 26, 2012
This book was absorbing and compelling. I kept returning to my ipad again and again all weekend long to read more (I bought the Thomson Reuters Pro View e-book version). Seldom do we read writings by judges themselves about political struggles, personalities, and their thoughts about cases they adjudicate. That is part of what makes this book such a treat. Now, fair disclosure--I am an attorney, albeit a non-practicing one, and I love reading about the legal system. One other thought--other reviewers suggested that they may have found this judge self-aggrandizing. All I can say is: Try spending time around a few federal judges, and see if you still think that about this one. I have never met Judge Block and probably never will, but based on my evaluation of his writings, I'd say he is thoughtful, balanced, insightful, and rather charmingly self-effacing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual Memoir, January 10, 2014
Gloria Wolk (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Judge Block includes facts about his personal life that diminish his stature. When it comes to the reality of judges favoring prosecutors, well you can read his memoir and learn how he rationalizes his bias. Sometimes he made good decisions in tough cases, but he does not appeal to me as a person. Pompous people do not appeal to me.

Not all judges are puffed up with their self importance. Decades ago I was helping an abused ex-wife who went to court to again plead for the child support her X did not pay. She was afraid of her X. When she saw him in the hall, she became sick to her stomach and did not want to go into court. Just then the chief administrator of that entire court house stepped out of the elevator. I grabbed the young mom and pulled her over to him. We chatted a bit about how we spent the summer. As we returned to our bench in the hall, I told her not to tell her X what we discussed. Let him worry. That did make her feel better.

The judge with whom we chatted not only was highly learned but humane. Unfortunately, he is rare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!! This guy lived some life!, August 2, 2012
Never spent a second thinking about the life of a judge...but I walked away more than amazed after reading Disrobed. Josh and friends give judge Block two thumbs up!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Must Read", December 31, 2012
This book is a "must read" for trial lawyers and trial judges of every state and federal jurisdiction. The book is enlightening, absorbing, insightful, and amusing. This book is not authored by a judge blowing his own horn and would be immensely informative to the general public. GJP

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and engaging read, July 27, 2012
I'm not an attorney or involved in the legal system, but am interested in politics. I came across this after reading an interview with Judge Block. The book does a great job capturing the intimate details of a Judge's daily decision-making process. I found this book very accessible and engaging - it is meant to be read and enjoyed. There are many interesting anecdotes about prosecutors, sentencing, and the American court system that I haven't come across in other political or legal books. This book does a great job at humanizing the federal court and allowing the reader to gain an understanding of what a life of Judge is like. Definitely something I will buy for birthday gifts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Disrobed: An Inside Look at the Life and Work of a Federal Trial Judge
$29.95 $29.10
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.