Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Distinctive 1-4 (Quarter Inch) Quilting Sewing Machine Presser Foot with Edge Guide - Fits All Low Shank Snap-On Singer*, Brother, Babylock, Euro-Pro, Janome, Kenmore, White, Juki, New Home, Simplicity, Elna and More!
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 11, 2011
Since I did not know if my machine was a "low shank" I thought I would share this:

Measuring the Shank:

Measure the shank with the presser foot lowered. The shank is the distance between the bottom of the foot and the screw. The measurement on a low shank machine is three quarters of an inch and on a high shank machine is one and one quarter inches.
11 comment|364 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2012
I bought several of these for my quilting class. The center hole doesn't allow you to move your needle to the right, which is the only way to get an accurate 1/4" seam. True it does sew a 1/4 with needle in the center position, but when you press your fabric you will notice that your blocks will be too small. To get a proper seem you actually need a scant 1/4. You can not do that with this foot. The 1/4" foot that came with my Janome has a notch to the right of center so I can move my foot over. Make sure you get one like that if you want to sew accurate quilt blocks.
77 comments|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2012
I have wanted a quilting foot for several years and was happy to find this one on Amazon. I studied the picture and read about all the machines it would work on. My machine is a White (made in the 1960's) and the blurb said it would fit a White machine. Sadly, when it arrived I could see no way to attach it to my older machine (all its' pressure feet are attached with a screw)and there were no instructions on how to attach it in the packaging. I threw it out and chalked it up to experience and wrote a negative review.

A week or so later the vendor phoned me and explained that because of my machine's age I needed a pressure foot adapter for my machine in order to attach the quilting foot. They are now sending me the needed adapter and a new quilting foot free of charge.

I can not give this vendor a high enough rating. There are not many like them any more.
11 comment|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2011
This is an easy way to get a consistent quarter inch seam. I love this foot and can't believe that I quilted for so long without one. I was unsure whether this would fit my machine (a Janome with drop-in bobbin), since the description here doesn't specify, but I emailed the seller directly from their website and got a response back very quickly. Works perfectly!
on April 14, 2012
I was having the worst time maintaining my 1/4 inch seam allowance. This foot has has made that an issue of the past. I have a Singer and so far all of the distinctive products have worked just fine at a fraction of the cost.
on August 23, 2011
This is a must have for quilters, especially those of us that are beginners. I was working on my first quilt and having troubles with that quarter-inch seam. I purchased this foot in hopes it would help me. It arrived very quickly and only took me a few seconds to put it on my Singer Futura CE-100 machine.
I can now sew perfect ¼ seams with no problems. The metal edge is a HUGE help and I can rest assured on my future sewing projects that my seams will be perfect every time. I highly recommend this product.
on August 19, 2011
This little guy keeps me from straying. With quilting most seams are sewn at 1/4 inch so this foot is necessary for my hours of sewing to be a success. Believe me as a beginner, I need all the help I can get.
on December 18, 2013
For those of you who have older models of Phaff sewing machines, (mine is a Creative 1471) this foot does not fit. I would assume then that the rest of the product line doesn't either. The bar where the machine and the foot connect is just a hair too small. Just thought I would help prevent anyone else that was thinking of ordering this product and like me hate to return things.
on October 31, 2013
I'm a quilter and 1/4 seams are a critical part of making a quilt. I have a 1/4 foot but decided I would like one with a guide to make it easier to be consistent all the way through the seam. This foot however does not sew at 1/4 inch as it states when you use the guide. It sews a seam at a scant 3/8 of an inch which is almost an 1/8 larger and useless for quilting. I would not advise anyone to buy this foot if you are looking for exact 1/4 inch seams. I am very disappointed in this product.
on October 17, 2013
I have 2 complaints about the the fabric guide on this presser foot: It seems to be an accurate 1/4", but when I attach it to the machine and lower it, pressing against the surface of the machine bed makes it move out to the right. Maybe the metal is too thin, or perhaps it is not attached properly to the foot, but it will not maintain its position, and so no longer indicates an accurate 1/4".

My 2nd complaint is that the front bottom corner of the guide is too sharp. It catches fabric and will not allow it to slide smoothly under the foot. If you like to sew right up to (or over) your pins, they get stuck at the front edge of the guide and you must lift the foot to continue. Then the guide "rides" on the pin and causes the fabric to move and twist in unpredictable ways. Chain piecing is completely impossible because the guide rests right down on the machine bed and you can't get new fabric under it without lifting.

Distinctive usually makes very high quality products and the foot itself meets that standard. It's solid, heavy, has a smooth shiny finish, and is well made. But the guide makes it very difficult to use this foot for any kind of sewing.