Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on January 28, 2011
This was a cute romance. Erin is supposed to help Stephen hurry up and get his book done, which turns out to be an impossible task. Stephen's tendency to put things off and enjoy life is cute and funny, but in real life, this guy would annoy me to no end. (And I'm laughing as I write that.) He's hard to commit to anything. Now, like I said, in fiction, this is funny, and since it's fiction, it works. And Erin has to be relaxed enough to roll along with it.

So instead of doing the book he's supposed to, he talks her into traveling on his boat, eating out, and having sex. I didn't think there would be sex in this book because on Smashwords, it's not labeled as being for mature readers, though to be fair, 'sexy' is in the keywords. It's just that I've seen some clean romances labeled as sexy and assumed there was a lot of kissing and maybe some necking going on, which is what I'm used to finding. The only reason I bring this up in the review is to let the reader know I think this is a book for a mature audience. I don't have a problem with sex but I know some people would rather not read it.

Overall, it was a fun read with lots of great humor because Stephen has a certain charm about him that is hard to resist. And surprisingly, he is able to bring in a good income. I couldn't imagine how because of the way he procrastinates, but the author explains it so I won't give that one away.
on July 11, 2013
Distracted is the first of a series of three books written by Madeline Sloane. Although these can be read as three stand alone novels, they have a common theme of a fictional town called Eaton, with a few common characters from book to book. I actually read the third story 'West wind' first due to it's free price, which I enjoyed enough to hunt for the other books in the series. I then read the second book 'East of Eaton', which I absolutely loved, and gave a 5 star rating - fantastically strong characters full of depth, and I loved the supporting characters just as much, and the romance and sex scenes were gorgeous and HOT. 'Distracted' which is the first of the series, I didn't love as much as East of Eaton, I would have loved to see a bit more depth to Spence's character, however it was still a light and enjoyable 'summer holiday' read, and the characters were still yummy. I have since found a further stories from this author, and look forward to reading more of her books - definitely a writer to watch.
on January 22, 2011
Madeline Sloane brings romance to the table with her first book! "Distracted" is cleverly written; the dialogue is well-delivered, easily readable and certainly enjoyable. I like how Ms. Sloane changed locales throughout the book as well, giving a diverse look into different regions of the eastern coast, including rural north central Pennsylvania. Additionally, the intimate knowledge of boats Ms. Sloane wrote about made it easy for me to envision being on board and watching the romance play out before my eyes.

I think what was most enjoyable was that Ms. Sloane didn't "dumb down" the story; her style is refreshing, tantalizing, and current. I'll be looking forward to her next release!
on April 24, 2013
The main characters, Spence and Erin, though a bit predictable, are very likable. Sometimes it's just good to have a book with a feel-good ending! I am on a mission to read others by this author, and look forward to "Women of Eaton" books with storylines weaving in the same characters. I recommend for an easy, romantic, heart-hugging good time!
on February 2, 2011
What a refreshing read, unlike so many romance novels of the past, which made the female lead out to be some kind of second-class citizen who could never stand up for themselves. (Many of these books I'd throw against the wall in disgust.)
Madeline Sloane's book, "Distracted," is a pleasant surprise. Erin, her leading lady, is a highly educated, well-rounded young lady whom, for the most part, has a good head on her shoulders. Her only distraction seems to be the one person (Stephen) she was hired to light a fire under to produce the promised novel.
I enjoyed traveling along with Erin and Stephen from D.C. to the Outer Banks, and from the Florida Keys to mountains of Pennsylvania, on their journey as they find themselves -- and each other -- during one tantalizing adventure after another.
I look forward to Ms. Sloane's next novel.
on October 7, 2013
Take a break from formulaic romance stories and fall in love with a modern, sexy man who isn't burdened down with the stereotypical macho crap. I love my alphas, but there is no way that most of us could live with one in real life.

Stephen Spence leads an idyllic life. A renowned artist, he is wealthy enough to spend his days sailing, painting, spending time with friends, or just lazing about.

Enter Erin Andersen, whose mission is to get Spence to finish a book about his art that he has committed to writing. DISTRACTED is the perfect name for this book, as Spence helps Erin learn to live life in a more meaningful way --without deadlines.

Ms. Sloane does a great job creating realistic, witty characters. The story is fresh, the settings are unique and I feel like I need to sign up for sailing lessons or at least look for a hot man with a catamaran! We should all get a chance to be distracted like this.

I am looking forward to more books by Ms. Sloane. If you are a fan of Ruthie Knox or Penny Reid you will love this book.