5.0 out of 5 stars Super fun
Published on January 10, 2012 by S. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars Made the Grade: Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom
Published on January 10, 2012 by Jess @ From Me to You ... Book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fun, January 10, 2012
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Ditched: A Love Story begins at the end with Justina being pushed out of a car in a very stained prom dress. She makes her way into a convenience store where she tells her story to the cashier. We are brought to the beginning of the story and Justina explains everything that happened leading up to her stumbling into the convenience store starting with the events that led up to prom.

This was a delightfully entertaining love story. While at first I didn't like Justina I grew to love her as the book went on and her missteps and disasters were so funny. She was flawed in a very real way but was still sweet. The other characters seemed very real from her best friend to Ian and Mike and Other Mike. The book was fairly short and a very fast read which I finished in a few hours. It reminded me of an end of the year crazy teen movie about that one crazy night where everything goes wrong but ends up ok in the end.

Appropriateness: This is a book with lots of teen behavior and the teenagers act like teenagers. There is drinking by other characters however, the main character does not drink. There also seems to be a constant search for designated drivers which gives this book a nice anti-drunk driving message. There is a set of stoner characters who talk about their bong. Justina's romantic situation is in part due to the fact that she and her best friend tried to kiss as many people as possible when they were younger which gives a nice message about how your past actions will follow you. There is no sex and the romance is limited to a bit of kissing. Despite all of this I wouldn't have a problem with handing this book to even a young middle schooler because the message is ultimately a good one. Justina has to deal with the consequences of her past actions and the whole experience is related in a way that does not glorify any of the negative behaviors. I would recommend this book to teens 13+

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teen read, January 11, 2012
Cathe (curled up with a book) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
It's prom night, and Justina has decided this will be a magical night when her relationship with her best friend Ian will become more than friends. But things go horribly awry, and she ends up ditched--in an actual ditch. As Justina relates the tragedy of her night to a sympathetic 7-11 clerk, the reader finds out all the messy details. This was a crazy, funny, and touching story that teen girls (and teen girls at heart) won't be able to put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Endearing, January 10, 2012
For Love and Books "Jac" (PUEBLO, CO, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Ditched had me at dyed iridescent shoes! Justina is pretty much everything I was in high school (except she's cool and I was kind of a giant geek with my thrift store shopping at my "rich side of town" school.) And she gets to go to prom with her dream date!

I could tell you my prom story, but I won't. My Junior Prom kind of sucked. But after Justina's story? I'll quit complaining. This poor girl, she had me both shaking my head at her choices and wanting to pull her under my wing.

In her debut book, Robin Mellom had me laughing out loud the entire time. I mean, Dog Swapping? Really? The troublesome teen in me is a bit jealous I didn't come up with the idea and/or convince my friends to partake!

The characters are vivid, unique and full of life. The perfect mixture of teenage angst and middle aged meddling. Justina truly was the star of the show, but the Marks and the Ledbetter girls have a special place in my heart. I also have to note that I loved that the main love interest was not even present for much of the book.

If you are looking for a light hearted read that will have you laughing and cringing, I highly recommend Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very cute story of high school romance, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Justina Griffith is not the type of girl to get excited about prom. She could care less about fancy dresses and heels. In fact, she'd have to admit that she doesn't even know the first thing about formal attire. But when her best friend Ian Clark asks her to prom, Justina realizes that she'll have to put all her fears and doubts about prom aside because, well, Ian's kind of amazing. But that doesn't explain why Justina finds herself on the side of the road on the morning after prom with bruises, a Tinker Bell tattoo, and a very ruined prom dress--alone. At the nearby 7-Eleven, Justina takes inventory of each dress stain, bruise, and bite mark from the night where she got ditched by what was supposed to be her perfect date. She thinks the last thing she wants is to see Ian again, but there's another side to the story of prom night that she hasn't heard yet. After all the damage and miscommunication, Justina will see that maybe missing out on prom doesn't mean she's missed out on love.

Ditched is a very cute story of high school romance. The cast of characters isn't necessarily the most original, but they still remain quirky and pretty realistic. I'd say that plot and character development were satisfactory overall, if not stellar, but what really made this novel stand out for me was the way in which protagonist Justina told her story. Justina's narrations alternate between her present conversation with two colorful women in a 7-Eleven and flashbacks which correspond with some physical mark on her unruly physical appearance. It's kind of hilarious to read along as Justina recounts the story behind each stain and bruise; this more unusual way of storytelling certainly made Ditched very entertaining to read. Though the story overall is rather predicable, Ditched is still an adorable, fun, and heartwarming story perfect for all those high school prom cynics.

Ditched is sure to be enjoyed by fans of Prom Kings and Drama Queens by Dorian Cirrone, The Espressologist by Kristina Springer, and Rose Sees Red by Cecil Castellucci.

3.0 out of 5 stars Made the Grade: Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
3.5 out of 5 stars, it's a funny mystery through and through, about best friends who both want to be something more than friends but the night they plan on doing so they never seem to be on the same page. This novel has some of the same premise as One Night That Changes Everything, but only in the aspect of something bad happened to Justina, she needs to find out what happened, and it has to do with her "boyfriend."

I really liked how this novel goes back and forth between Justina's previous events of what happened to get her into that ditch and her sitting at the 7-Eleven with the convenience store clerk and the other costumer. Very well written!! Plus ... the ending is just OHH soo good! =0) As well as the really cute epilogue!

However, I will admit that there were some parts that annoyed me and some parts that were a little slow but all in all this novel was enjoyable to read!

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed reading One Night That Changes Everything, or to anyone who loves reading YA romance novels!! '

Review By: From Me to You ... Video, Photography, & Book Reviews
(read more of this review and a teaser on my blog)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and fun, like a teen movie, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
I almost stopped reading after the first chapter because I was so confused as to what was going on. I wanted to shake Justina and tell her to just spit it out already--COHERENTLY! I don't like feeling lost as to what is going on in a story, so the whole first chapter really bugged me.

But I WAS intrigued so I kept reading and I'm glad I did. Once Justina gets to the 7-11 and starts telling her story to the cashier, the story picks up and the narrative smooths out a lot. I wasn't confused anymore. At this point I felt like I had been sucked into a teen romantic comedy movie. Even the narrative style (tone and execution) made me think "MOVIE SCRIPT." This is a good thing. I love those kinds of movies, and I loved this book version just as much.

The book alternates between the present in the 7-11 and the events of the night before. The 7-11 chapters are short and serve as little interludes where the 7-11 cashier and, later, one of the customers who stays to listen, chime in with their opinions and sympathy. I liked these sections and they made me feel like I was another random person who stopped to listen to Justina tell her crazy story.

Between each of these interludes is a larger chapter chronicling a part of Justina's prom night. These parts were the meat of the story. Since I knew Justina ends her night alone, dumped out of a car, and hating the guy she was supposed to be in love with, my curiosity was super high. I read these chapters with rapt attention, trying to piece together the events of her evening and guess how she ended up where she did. It was almost like a mystery, complete with clues, red herrings, and suspects.

Ditched made me smile and laugh out loud. I commiserated with Justina and snacked on junk food right along with her. I groaned out loud as her night went from bad to unbelievably worse. I grinned with fluffy happiness when the most unexpected people came through for her. The story moved along at a good pace with pieces of the puzzle coming together in each chapter.

Ditched is a standalone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh wow, April 16, 2012
Ashleigh (Jacksonville, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Also appears on The Screaming Nitpicker.

Maybe you do this too or maybe you don't, but I never go anywhere without at least two books: my focus and my fallback. Two came with me when I went about my day today: my fallback Ditched and my main novel Taken at Dusk. I decided to focus a little more on Ditched instead because I liked the first chapter and you know what? It turned out Ditched was the book I needed a fallback for. Wow. I thought it would be a fun, fluffy novel, not the astoundingly offensive book it turned out to be.

The one redeeming point of Ditched is that it is occasionally funny. Not I-shouldn't-be-laughing-at-this-but-I-am-anyway kind of funny, but genuinely funny enough to coax giggles out of me. It missed the opportunity for an awesome Violet Beauregard joke about being a human blueberry, but in the first fifty pages, I found myself laughing the right kind of laughter multiple times.

After those first fifty pages, most of the book's attempts at comedy turn out to be grossly unfunny or blatantly offensive.

I despise Justina. There are multiple reasons why--her hypocrisy (discussed later in this review), a jealous streak that makes her engage in mind-boggling behavior --but this says it all: she wishes herpes on a girl named Allyson because she talks to Justina's date. More specifically, she wishes she had "Herpes In A Jar" to throw at Allyson, but it's basically the same thing.

Um... What? From what I've read, I think Justina is a social pariah less because she kissed a bunch of guys and more because she is a terrible person. I sure wouldn't speak to a girl who said "And the girls were looking a little too... sophisticated, to say it nicely. Slutty whores, to say it truthfully" (61) about other girls' prom dresses without describing them and wished herpes on others.

Shaming a girl because she kisses a lot of boys is wrong. Justina adequately gets this across when multiple people treat her badly or bully her because of her past digressions (though Justina herself has trouble supporting her own message by calling her love of kissing an "addiction" when it's not a problem, but I digress). I believe in that message whole-heartedly and seeing it get lost under nine tons of disgusting hypocrisy was not a fun experience. See, it's wrong for girls to shame Jstina for things she may or may not have done with boys, but it's supposed to be oh so right if she does the same thing to them. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. This contributed to my dislike of Justina and was the largest strike against the novel.

What happened? The first chapter went so well, and other than the presence of a man-hater who wasn't as funny as she was meant to be, I enjoyed the in-between chapters where Justina told Gilda and Donna what happened. A great novel was ruined by offensive content and a terrible main character and I mourn the loss.

This is why Ditched is a DNF for me. I can only take so much. For a prom story that doesn't induce the urge to throw something, try Laurie Halse Anderson's Prom. I haven't read it myself, but some trusty friends have and they liked it enough, so I'll put my faith in them for that recommendation.

(I swear, I've been having such a bad spell with books lately and I'm ready for it to be over. The next book I'm reading got a perfect score from my favorite reviewers; if I don't love it... That's best left to the imagination.)

4.0 out of 5 stars The stereotypical prom night fantasy turned on its head, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Justina wakes up in a ditch the morning after prom and stumbles over to a convenience store to unravel, with the help of the storekeeper and a customer, just what happened. Why would her best friend Ian ditch her on a night like this?

This story could have gone in a much different direction (hello, potential after-school special!), but Mellom kept it funny, fresh, and light. It had a very John Hughes feel to it. Justina was likable and sympathetic, the ladies in the 7-11 were hilarious, and by the end I was gunning for her relationship with Ian to work itself out. It was a true comedy of errors that takes the stereotypical Prom-will-be-the-best-night-of-my-life fantasy and turns it on its head. (By the way-- who exactly started this rumor about Prom being such a night to remember?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom, October 6, 2013
SaMills (Sandy Beaches of, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ditched (Kindle Edition)
This book was so funny and absolutely adorable. I love stories about prom and this story about prom disaster was such a fun read! We start off the story with Justina at the end of her night/morning, literally sitting in a ditch, trying not to remember everything that happened the night before. With no purse and no cell phone, Justina wanders into a nearby convenience store, and that is where she meets Gilda and Donna. Over the course of the morning she tells them all about what happened on prom night. Gilda and Donna were absolutely hilarious! I loved their advice, or lack thereof, about guys, dating and what exactly Justina might have done wrong.

Justina's night was mapped out with various stains on her shiny blue prom dress and bumps and bruises on her person. Each stain or bruise had a story to go along with it and as she pieced them all together they made a fantastic story. I loved that the story was told in flashback. After each memory we get some sage wisdom from Gilda and Donna about what she did wrong or how she misread the situation. We also get to know all of the people that make up Justina's world. The Mikes and their dates were such good companions for Justina during most of her adventures. They may have been a little wild, but they also proved to be loyal and great friends. Any guy who calls a girl by her essence, is a guy I wouldn't mind hanging around with. Even some of the popular kids weren't all bad. And I don't know where Robin Mellom came up with it, but dog swapping is so awesome, if not a little bit cruel.

This was a hilarious prom adventure with a sweet contemporary romance mixed in. This is one to read anytime you need a fun story and a good laugh. I can't wait to see what Ms. Mellom gives us next! Also, never let anyone convince you to dye your prom shoes :0)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ditched: A Love Story, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Ditched: A Love Story (Hardcover)
So the only interesting/unique thing about this book is the way it's framed as a mystery-romance. I loved that part of it, I loved that we are presented with the ending and then get to work backwards to figure out how it all happened, but other than that, this is one of the most boring love stories I've ever read? I just could not bring myself to care about the privileged main character and her privileged friends whining about their lives. I did not like any of the flashbacks as to how things unfolded, and the only scenes that held my interest were the ones taking place at the gas station. Skip this book, there's plenty of better YA romance out there.

Ditched: A Love Story
Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom (Hardcover - January 3, 2012)
$16.99 $13.90
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.