5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful yet not complicated, January 19, 2011
Roque Garcia (Naples, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Div, Grad, Curl and All That - An Informal Text on Vector Calculus (Paperback)
I've never been very good at math. However, deciding to beef up my math skills for Multivariable Calculus (and second semester Physics, which was Electricity and Magnetism), I saw this book's title and thought "This definitely sounds informal." As the review shows, I got the original version (it was the one the library had lying around). The book explains not only what div, grad, and curl are but also several applications to Electricity and Magnetism (even asking you to derive Maxwell's Equation in the very end!), which seems very useful to know. Additionally, the simple style Schey incorporates into his explanations make them incredibly clear to even those whose forte is not math. The tone Schey takes is also very informal, which makes the reading much easier. I had studied basic Multivariable Calculus on my own (from Stewart's) and that helped a lot in having familiarity with surface integrals and the like, but this book definitely solidified the concepts. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wishes to get a fun and (very) informative book on Vector Calculus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but not definitive, April 2, 2013
This book is really helpful in understanding Vector Calculus; however, it needs more worked problems that do not skip steps!! If this text came with a problem , example work book similar to an older Schaum outline, it would be a 5 star.
Peace and Be Well

Div, Grad, Curl and All That - An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
Div, Grad, Curl and All That - An Informal Text on Vector Calculus by H. M. Schey (Paperback - January 1, 1973)
Used & New from: $7.47