4.0 out of 5 stars Diva-licious tips, and tricks
Published on May 6, 2010 by Catherine L.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Diva joins the struggling middle class
The subtitle of this latest book by Michelle McKinney Hammond is "How to Still be Fabulous When You're Broke" and she is pretty fabulous. But girlfriend, I have mixed feelings about this book.

Published on May 3, 2010 by Karen Wilber

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A Diva joins the struggling middle class, May 3, 2010
This review is from: Divanomics: How to Still Be Fabulous When You're Broke (Paperback)

Michelle McKinney Hammond has written an overview of how to live large on a small budget. She gives some sound advice: shop at discount stores, separate your wants from your needs, clip coupons, don't buy more than you can afford. She encourages women to focus on their relationship with God over their relationship with credit cards.

More autobiography than advice, some of her tips are definitely big city, single gal: make dinner out of cocktail hour snacks in hotel lobbies. This won't work for the mom schlepping it out in the suburbs. Never having had the lifestyle Ms. Hammond once enjoyed, I found my self thinking "I already knew that" through most of the book.

However, she has an incredibly warm and engaging style that makes me want to read more of her writing or hear her speak at a conference. I'd recommend this book for Divas whose fortunes have fallen with the stock market. For the rest of us middle class folks, I say "Girlfriend, we're way ahead of you."

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Tyndale House Publishers as part of their book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

4.0 out of 5 stars Diva-licious tips, and tricks, May 6, 2010
Divanomics tells the story of looking, feeling and staying fabulous, without living beyond your means. The information in this book is up to date, relevant, real and will offer help to DIVA's everywhere. In Divanomics, Michelle McKinney Hammond shows the reader, that we can make changes to get out of debt without giving up everything. Who says YOU can't be fabulous while living on a budget? Not Michelle McKinney Hammond... And Divanomics she will show you how. In fact Michelle shares her personal financial struggles and experiences to back the advice she gives. This book is also great because it offer fresh insights with practical tips, that can be used in everyday life.

If you're overspending has gotten you into a financial rut, then Divanomics will show you how to adjust to a lifestyle you can afford. Divanomics is filled with fabulous frugal tips on fashion, entertaining, housing, beauty, home decor and more. The book is aimed at women, so with Mothers Day right around the corner grab a few copies today and share them with all the DIVAS in your life.

Disclosure: I received this book free from Tyndale House Publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to apply to the average gal, July 3, 2010
I was so excited when I got the chance to recieve a copy of Divanomics to review from Tyndale House Publishers. As a stay at home (recently become work at home mom) in a family of soon to be 4 making hubbies lower ranking military paycheck stttrrreeetttcchhh is a valuable trait to have! I'm all about learning "how to still be fabulous when you're broke"!

Unfortunately I felt that this book didn't really help me do that! Michelle is coming from a lifestyle that I will never be a part of, and ended up dropping out of it based on some foolish decisions on her part mixed with the rotten economy. As I read the first several chapters in which she describes all of this I kept thinking, "Ok...so we get it, you were rich-now you're broke-when are we getting to the good tips and tricks?!" She did eventually get there but virtually every single thing she talked about fell into the "been there, done that" category for me. Although it was all great, wonderful advice for someone who's been rich and has never had to stop and think where each penny is going before, as someone who's never had extra money lying around I felt like I could honestly write a book with more and better "how to save money" tips in it. She did list several websites I hadn't hear of with resources on them and I plan on checking out, and for that reason alone I will probably keep the book.

So if you're a fabulous single girl who's used to buying Christian Dior, has her own accountant and is suddenly down on her luck--buy all means pick up this book.

For the rest of us I'd recommend reading your favorite Frugal Living Blog for the most unique ideas and tips on how to stretch your dollar!

3.0 out of 5 stars Common Sense. Makes "Divas" look rather uninformed, December 21, 2010
Huh. Really. All common sense from a single gal not struggling. Shopping at discount stores...common sense. Cooking, living within our means... common sense. Good read, good writing, with some sound everyday life advice. Just seems a bit redundant. Nothing new.

3.0 out of 5 stars Divanomics, November 19, 2010
I'm not sure that I'm really the target audience for this book. Yes, I'd like to budget better and get tips for spending less money, but this book seemed to be more for people who had expensive tastes (something I've never had) and it seemed to be geared more towards single woman. Since I'm a married mother of three, my life looks a lot different than the authors.

I think if you're looking for a good book on budgeting and financing, check out something by Dave Ramsey. In fact, the author even suggests his books in Divanomics, so I think she's aware that she's not an expert on finance. What this book reads more like is sitting down for a cup of coffee with a girlfriend who found herself in financial trouble, figured out how to help herself, and wants to give you her advice and experiences.

I think what I liked best about the book were the little snippets at the end of each chapter called "What's a diva to do". These were basically a summary of the chapter, but in the form of a list of things you could try. Since I'm all about lists, these were good for me. This is a fun book about spending less, but a lot of the time I felt like she was too focused on getting stuff--like what she could get out of other people for free. There were times that it wasn't in a bad way, like trading clothes with your friends, but there were other times where it seemed like she was giving pointers for getting men (or others) to buy you things or give you things. It rubbed me the wrong way a little bit.

All in all, this was a quick read (when I actually picked it up and read it), but definitely not the best if you're looking to get your finances in order. If you're looking for something lighthearted about finances, though, this may be a good option.

*I received this book for review from Tyndale publishers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth It At All!, May 13, 2010
Divanomics is a book aimed at teaching a diva how to be frugal and make better financial decisions. Michele herself has suffered several times financially from her spending habits and economic downturns. She tries to share the importance of good decisions when it comes to money in a funny, casual way. At the end of each chapter is a section called "What's a Diva to do?" In this area you ask yourself some questions and assess your thinking, spending, and monetary habits.

I can't say I learned anything really new from this book. I could go forever without ever hearing the word 'diva' again though! I think Michelle went a little overboard on that part. Also, I thought she basically reiterated the lessons and advice we have heard from Dave Ramsey, Suze Orzman, and a few other financial adviser's for years.

If you have never read a financial book before then you might appreciate some of her advice and reiteration of the ideas from the other great financial adviser's. All in all, it was just mediocre for me.

*This book was graciously provided to me by Tyndale publishing for review purposes. Above is my honest review of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diva-lite-ful!, May 8, 2010
"Divanomics: How to Still Be Fabulous When You're Broke" surprised me, in a most rewarding way!

I expected a standard "how to." Instead I found pages of lively narrative, soul-searching questions, and practical, easy-to-implement advice.

I expected a "diva" attitude (you know, the "waah-I-can't-eat-at-$1000-a-plate-functions any more".) What I found in Divanomics is a realistic point-of-view that speaks to all women, and most enjoyably, a lot of frugal living steeped with spirituality.

Overall, this is a great guide for the newly frugal or for those looking to develop a more faith-based resource to help you cope with the stark realities of today's economy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew being fabulous on a budget could be SO...fabulous!, March 24, 2010
DIVA's every where shout hallelujah!

Divanomics is just the book you've been praying for.
Relevant, real, transparent and inspiring,
Divanomics will help you shed the shame
you may be carrying along with debt.

Regardless of your financial situation,
Hammond will remind you
that you are not alone while taking you on a soul
journey to freedom, fearlessness
and fabulousness all in the blink
of a MAC mascared eye.

You can be fabulous when you're
broke - Divanomics will show you how.

Grab your copy today!

Marina Woods, GoodGirlBookClubOnline
The #1 Destination for Today's Aspiring Woman

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure who this book is meant to help..., December 5, 2011
I do not believe myself to be the target audience of this book, but after suffering through 2/3 of it, I'm not sure who is.

Here's a summary for those of you considering this book: author is a single author who spent too much and had to face the consequences, which led her to learn moderation (think Carrie Bradshaw if Sex and the City ladies ever had to pay their shoe bills).

The premise isn't too bad, but the writing style passes the line from 'colloquial' into 'downright annoying'. Every couple of sentences, she's telling you "get real, girlfriend" or something of that ilk. Furthermore, there are many Christianity-meets-Consumerism passages, which certainly alienates a Christian, but not extremely religious reader like me. Very little actual advice or guidance. In the beginning, the author says she's not a finance guru by any means, and well, I would go one step further and say that she is still a novice when it comes to keeping finances in order.

So, in summary, this books is:
- thin in content, advice, and knowledge
- thick in attitude, religion, and poor writing

Even for free, don't waste your time. There are far better free sources available online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real, down to earth book!, April 25, 2010
Michelle McKinney Hammond shares her stories and tips on "how to still be fabulous when you're broke" in her latest book, "Divanomics." Michelle was used to living a fabulous life, being able to have all her needs and wants, anything she desired - she was living the life. Then...suddenly, she no longer could afford her condo even and her shopoholic habits would be changed. While reading the book you will feel as if you are sitting down with Michelle talking face to face. She is very real in the book and it is written in a conversational tone.
In today's economy, struggling to find the extra money for the "extras" that are desired or even being able to meet needs is relevant for many people. Michelle has filled this book with tips for downsizing, finding bargains and finding treasure in what is already owned. "Dvia tips" are included throughout the books offering practical tips for living a life that is comfortable and allows you to live within your budget.
Making lists, prioritizing the areas in your life that you spend money and creating and following a budget are outlined in this book with Michelle's personal thoughts and tips on each subject. This book will force you to thnk about your life and how you live your life and spend your money.
*Tyndale House Publishers provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.*

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Divanomics: How to Still Be Fabulous When You're Broke
Divanomics: How to Still Be Fabulous When You're Broke by Michelle McKinney Hammond (Paperback - March 18, 2010)
$12.99 $4.98