5.0 out of 5 stars Love this "floaty handle"...
Published 6 months ago by Ricky Bowers

3.0 out of 5 stars It's decent, but ...
First the good - the grip handle is a good size and it's comfortable. I also threw it in my pool (GoPro attached) and it floats as advertised, no problems.

Published 6 months ago by Todd Elwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this "floaty handle"..., March 22, 2014
This review is from: POV Dive Buoy Floating Camera Handle - GoPro Edition (Electronics)
I've been a GoPro user (Hero 3 Black), for several years now, and until I ran across this, I'd been carrying my GoPro around on a "mini-tripod"... The small tripod was inexpensive, allowed me to stand it up, and to use it with the GoPro remote. However, my wife and I have a condo in Destin Florida, and we are constantly going to the beach. I have the "floaty back", but you still have to hand hold the camera (which is small as you know). After a beer or two, I think it gets even smaller! Anyway, I've been looking for something like this for some time... The handle is the perfect size, and doesn't slip. It comes with a wrist strap, and caribeaner, plus the bright orange end cap will unscrew if you want to put a few small items inside. If you turn the camera loose in the water, the GoPro will sink down, and the bright orange end cap, will float up allowing you to see it with no problem.. It's even kinda cool to let it flip upside down, and start the video. It gives you a completely different perspective without even holding the camera. I have several friends that have a GoPro, and they've already ordered the POV Dive Buoy for themselves. It's a great handle, and if your like me, always around the beach, or the pool, you can't go wrong!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's decent, but ..., March 20, 2014

The bad - I read another reviewer who said the nut fell off of his handle; when I attached my camera the first time, I noticed the plastic thumb nob doesn't feel as sturdy as other GoPro accessories. Mine is still in tact and I'm hoping for the best.

The kinda-bad-but-not-a-big-deal - The strap seems pretty good, quality-wise, but mine arrived with a small, metal carabiner. Naturally, I attached the strap to the carabiner, then the carabiner to the handle. When I reviewed my first footage using the handle, it sounded like tap dancers on a tin roof. The carabiner's clack-clack-clack against the bottom of the handle was awful. Simple fix - detach the carabiner, toss it, and attach the strap directly to the handle. Easy peasy.

The face-palm aspect - If you've seen the pic for this handle, you know the handle is hollow and can be used to hold items. All true. About 30 seconds after opening the box, a wonderful thought struck me - I wondered if the circumference of the grip was large enough to store spare batteries?! Nope.

Granted, I know they didn't advertise that it was big enough to store a battery or two, but it literally is a centimeter too small. As in, if you're that close to being the right size, why not do it? One simple re-design would've solved it and added real value to it. Oh well, maybe version 2 will figure it out.

Bottom line - it's OK. Feels good in the hand, let's you shoot steady footage, and it floats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Underwater (and Out of Water) Handle, May 3, 2014
Fly Guy (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Bought this to use for some underwater video on a recent Hawaii trip and I couldn't have been happier with this product. The handle has a great feel and grip both in and out of water. The strap lets you "drop" the camera and easily find it underwater without much fuss. And finally it has the perfect amount of buoyancy that it would rise to the surface if you lost it but not too much that you feel it pulling away from you. I didn't use the handle to store anything but I did put a paper towel in there to see if it leaked at all and no leaks after several hard days of use.

This also work as a great general purpose handle for filming and I now use it all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Risks of SCUBA diving with this handle (don't worry, it still works as advertised), August 2, 2014
BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: Divers, you will need to attach your own tether strap if you want mobility and security while diving. I recommend at least 1-2 feet long. Also, make the handle neutrally buoyant so that if it comes detached, it will be drifting nearby instead of rising to the surface (by the time you can safely ascend and attempt to retrieve it, its going to be very hard to find at the surface, the ocean is very large).

I didn't give it 5 stars because the strap really needs to be longer. It needs to be longer because you can't strap it on your hand and take pictures with the same hand. You may say "just use the other hand," thats true, but when you're 25 meters under the ocean and you have full SCUBA gear on you need to be able to take pictures with the same hand. I lost my GoPro yesterday partly because of this issue. I was annoyed with the strap and forgot to connect it again, I checked my pressure gauge, went to take another picture, and I realized it had floated to the surface. Which leads to the next thing. If you are SCUBA diving deep, MAKE THE HANDLE NEUTRALLY BUOYANT. I wouldn't have lost the go pro had I done this, it would have been simply floating nearby instead of rising to the surface off the coast of a Croatian island in choppy water making it nearly impossible to find. Furthermore, chasing a rising go pro after being 25+meters underwater is a prime scenario for getting decompression sickness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this product, March 23, 2014
I used used this for a canoe trip and enjoy the peace of mind that my camera will float if it goes in the water. The grip feels very comfortable, and I can hide money and keys inside the handle. Good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, June 25, 2014
Purchased to use while snorkeling and was well worth it. I brought it with me on a cruise and was able to use the dry storage for some cash. The handle is also easy enough then when you want to you can swim with no issues using the wrist strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-around product, July 27, 2014
Daniel Crisp (BROADLANDS, VA, US) - See all my reviews
Used it for the first time on a Cayman dive trip and loved it. Holds GoPro securely and is very comfortable to use, in and out of the water. Small enough that I can put the camera in a deep pocket with a Velcro closure flap on my diving shorts (the end of the handle sticks out slightly) for secure water entries from a boat, then once in the water, I use the lanyard around my wrist if I'm using the camera regularly, or I clip it into a ring on my BC using the small carabiner when I want it out of the way.

I did not have the carabiner "clacking" problem of another reviewer when taking video.

A great alternative use for the hollow handle is to fill it partially with water to make it less buoyant. I made mine only slightly positively buoyant on my first dive of the trip through a little experimentation, then it was perfect the rest of the week. Yes, I know this defeats the benefit of it bobbing to the surface if you drop the camera, but this way, it stays right with you, whether you use the lanyard, the clip, or you let go momentarily when you need an extra hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++++, June 14, 2014
Product was just as described! Works great! Works wonderfully with my Go Pro Hero 3+! I plan to use it often!

5.0 out of 5 stars This might save your camera, August 19, 2014
At about 50 feet in the ocean I dropped the handle thinking that is still attached with the cord it came with to my BCD. After just few seconds I realized I had detached it so I had to return looking for the camera. After spending a couple of minutes looking for it I realized it could went towards the surface since it should float. I signalized to my buddy I go up to look for my camera thinking that it should be pretty close to the surface since I connected with the 3-way pivot arm, the strap and the metal hook it came with. After I reached slowly to the surface I thought I will never find my camera since it was not there. But guess what, a lady on the boat saw the handle in the water so my camera was saved! A big thank you to the manufacturer!

5.0 out of 5 stars it worked how i expected, August 8, 2014
I took POV dive handle hiking to a waterfall and it performed as expected. I have a orange floaty thing for my GoPro and with that plus the POV dive handle it floated exceptionally well. the handle is thick and has a rubbery/ foam like grip, making it easier to hold in wet or swimming conditions.
You can fill the cavity inside the handle with water to make it neutrally buoyant for diving and filming under water. or just leave it as is to keep stuff in it or so it can have more flotation.
I do recommend it, but I also recommend getting the orange floater that attaches to the back of the GoPro hosing.

POV Dive Buoy Floating Camera Handle - GoPro Edition