3,880 Reviews

Published 3 months ago by Spencer's Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first two
Published 8 months ago by Randi Staggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first two, November 9, 2013
I devoured the first two books in the series, and I own them in book and kindle form, but I couldn't even finish Allegiant. As an English teacher who loves discovering books that will excite my students, I enthusiastically recommended Divergent to many people. While I still believe Roth is a talented writer who crafted an extraordinary world and beautiful characters, I now feel the need to apologize to everyone I encouraged to begin this series because I was so disappointed with its conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 is a must read. Book 2 is a great supplement. Book 3 is a train wreck. Abandon ship before book 3!, November 10, 2013
Read books 1 and 2 then walk away and let your imagination write the ending for you.

Book 1: Suspenseful. Builds a fresh concept in YA dystopian books. Loved Roth's ability to create a microcosm that is exciting, engaging and such a page turner. Loved this book and recommended it to friends and family. 4.5 stars

Book 2: Continues to reveal more about the community and preludes to secrets beyond their little world. Builds the 2 main characters and lays a plausible foundation and leaves you wanting more. 4 stars

Book 3: Unbelievable, hard to distinguish the voices, meanders aimlessly, and has an absolute meaningless ending. Renders the journey pointless and leaves the reader wondering why she bothered. Poorly executed writing. Was it the same author? Did she have a deadline she couldn't meet? Where was her editor? 2 stars and only because the cover art was great. Book itself is drivel. I keep expecting a "Just kidding, here's the real book' announcement. The only thing weaker would have been "… and then Tris woke up and it was aaalllll a bad, bad dream."

5.0 out of 5 stars An Emotional Ride, April 15, 2014
Overall it was 4.5 stars for me (5 stars for the first 2 books, 4 for the last). I enjoyed the series, found the underlying messages about society and human nature very interesting. The first book was really great. The second one felt a bit like "The Empire Strikes Back" as I was reading it, like there wasn't going to be any resolution (in anticipation of the final book), but then the ending pulled everything together, so I was okay with that.

The third book, I didn't like the dual first person perspectives (reading on a Kindle it was easy to lose track of which narrator I was reading once I passed the page with the name on it), but I understood why the story had to be told that way. You essentially, by that time, have two characters who are on separate journeys, so the full story can't be just from one perspective. I eventually got used to the dual narrations, but it felt different from the first two books because of that and probably because the setting had changed slightly.

The end of the third, book, however, was very emotional and although I wish it hadn't ended the way it had, I understood why it had to (if you look back over the whole series, there are subtle indications that it has to be this way).

Overall, I was left with a good feeling about having read the series. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi/fantasy, but I do like sci-fi stories set in our own world and I thought I'd give this one a try since so many people were talking about it. I'm glad I did. I would recommend this series to anyone who likes dystopian stories set on Earth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just don't do it...., December 7, 2013
Would not recommend this series because of the third book. The first two were great. The third just leaves you mad and upset that you got so connected to the series in the first two! And also .. it's cheaper to buy them seperate!

2.0 out of 5 stars Final book lets it down, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Divergent Series Complete Box Set (Hardcover)
The first 2 books are brilliant, but are majorly let down by the 3rd book. It felt disconnected from the first two & doesn't measure up to their epic feel.

3.0 out of 5 stars First book: EXCELLENT. Last book: DISASTER., January 4, 2014
First off, it's actually cheaper to buy these book SEPARATE (at the time I'm writing this it is cheaper), so you might want to check the prices of the books separately before you buy this. I don't want you to feel ripped off, like I do!!

Novel 1:
I absolutely loved it! I couldn't put it down. It was suspenseful, engaging, and the characters were lovable and so different from one another. Tris is a strong female character, who is unique, well developed, and I can really relate to the decisions she makes to leave her faction and follow her heart. I love the world they live in, and the reason why they live in factions is very interesting.

Novel 2:
More is revealed about the world they lived in. The relationship between Tris and Tobias builds, and the characters develop further. I didn't love this as much as the first, but it left me wanting more.

Novel 3:
WOW this was extremely DISAPPOINTING. For some stupid reason, it is written from Tris and Tobias' perspective, which doesn't make sense to be, because the first two novels are from Tris' perspective only. I understand the concept of having two perspectives, so the reader can dive deeper into their world, but it is so poorly done. I can not differentiate between the two characters - when I am reading a chapter by Tobias, it could easily be Tris. There is no difference in the writing, it's like they are the same person - especially as it is written in first person.

I really wish I could give this 5 stars, because the first 2 books were excellent, however the last book was a let down, and I struggled to finish it. When I finished the last book, I felt disappointed. There was a beautiful metaphor in the ending, and yes it was a good ending...but it just didn't leave me happy. The ending made me sad. Sad for the characters, who really came to life for me, and sad because the last novel was such a let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandaughter picks a winner., May 17, 2014
When my Grandaughter said, "Grandmom, you have to read this.", I decided to give it a try. It immediately captured my imagination showing me how a fourteen year old would find enjoyment in reading it. It was well written, moved along at a brisk pace, and had a few curves that were not expected.
Although I found it hard to believe that teenagers were so capable of doing the feats described, I reminded myself that a teenage recommended this trilogy to me, so.....
The lust for power, the decisions made by the "governments" in the book as to how one should live, the struggle to find right over wrong, leaves a powerful message that one should beware of big brother deciding what is best for us.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend because of the third book, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Divergent Series Complete Box Set (Hardcover)
Would not recommend this series because of the third book. The first two were great. The third just leaves you mad and upset that you got so connected to the series in the first two. Take this into consideration as the end of this series has been getting some major backlash. Swing and a miss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother!, March 13, 2014
Love the series until the ending, which made me so mad I don't plan on watching the movie! I finished the series yesterday and I am still fuming!

3.0 out of 5 stars Uneven Dystopian Vision, July 16, 2014
This review is from: Divergent Series Complete Box Set (Hardcover)
This three volume set by Veronica Roth contains Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant. The first volume is by far the best. Roth created a credible dystopian vision of a post-apocalyptic Chicago in which everyone 16 and over must choose to be part of one of five factions: Amity, focussing on peace and harmony; Abnegation, characterized by selflessness; Candour, which values truth above all else; Erudite, esteeming knowledge and the intellectual life; and Dauntless, the guardians who value courage and strength. The book begins with Beatrice Prior, a young girl from an Abnegation family who chooses to be Dauntless. Her initiation starts her on a journey of self-discovery. She makes new friends (along with some enemies), encounters love and heartbreak, and most importantly begins to recognize that her world is far stranger and more complex than she ever imagined. There is conflict within the city, as one faction (Erudite) seeks to dominate the rest. Secret knowledge and hitherto hidden information begins to leak out, and Divergent ends on an exciting and equivocal note.

Unfortunately the high level of Divergent doesn't follow through on the next two volumes. Insurgent described the conflict between Erudite and the other factions and revealed more about the society, but it ended a bit abruptly, saving what promised to be some sensational details for the final volume. Allegiant, however, was a disappointment. To Beatrice (or Tris)'s own voice was added that of her main love interest, and there wasn't enough difference between them to make them readily distinguishable. The promised answers to the secrets behind the dystopian society's structure were revealed, but they weren't as sensational as promised. The ending, in which a new society has begun to develop on the ruins of the old, ought to have been much more interesting than it actually was.

So, while I would definitely and without hesitation recommend Divergent, its follow up volumes are much more forgettable.

Divergent Series Complete Box Set
Divergent Series Complete Box Set by Veronica Roth (Hardcover - October 22, 2013)
$55.97 $33.55