5,163 Reviews
 (3,090)
 (1,159)

4.0 out of 5 stars divergent was great, the other two... not so much.
**Spoilers ahead**

Published 4 months ago by R. Chandler

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first two
Published 12 months ago by Randi Staggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the first two, November 9, 2013
I devoured the first two books in the series, and I own them in book and kindle form, but I couldn't even finish Allegiant. As an English teacher who loves discovering books that will excite my students, I enthusiastically recommended Divergent to many people. While I still believe Roth is a talented writer who crafted an extraordinary world and beautiful characters, I now feel the need to apologize to everyone I encouraged to begin this series because I was so disappointed with its conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 is a must read. Book 2 is a great supplement. Book 3 is a train wreck. Abandon ship before book 3!, November 10, 2013
Read books 1 and 2 then walk away and let your imagination write the ending for you.

Book 1: Suspenseful. Builds a fresh concept in YA dystopian books. Loved Roth's ability to create a microcosm that is exciting, engaging and such a page turner. Loved this book and recommended it to friends and family. 4.5 stars

Book 2: Continues to reveal more about the community and preludes to secrets beyond their little world. Builds the 2 main characters and lays a plausible foundation and leaves you wanting more. 4 stars

Book 3: Unbelievable, hard to distinguish the voices, meanders aimlessly, and has an absolute meaningless ending. Renders the journey pointless and leaves the reader wondering why she bothered. Poorly executed writing. Was it the same author? Did she have a deadline she couldn't meet? Where was her editor? 2 stars and only because the cover art was great. Book itself is drivel. I keep expecting a "Just kidding, here's the real book' announcement. The only thing weaker would have been "… and then Tris woke up and it was aaalllll a bad, bad dream."

2.0 out of 5 stars A fun series sunk by a stupid ending and too mature for the young kids reading it..., February 5, 2014
dang_rover (Bentonville, AR USA) - See all my reviews
I have three things to say about the Divergent Series.
1) It's a lot of fun for 2 and 3/4 books.
2) The last 1/4 of the last book stunk and ruined the entire series.
3) The love story is cheesy and gives the 11 to 14 year olds reading the series a skewed and inappropriate idea of what first love is like.

I always say that a book or a book series (which is really just one long book broken into parts) is only as good as its ending. What you are left with when you close the cover on the end means more than all the stuff that came before. As fun as the story of Tris, Tobias, and friends was, it means nothing when the ending makes me wish I hadn't read it at all.

You know what the kicker is? I even knew it was coming. I never, NEVER read spoilers. But this ONE time I did. I always wait to start a series until the last book has been written--I hate cliffhangers and waiting years for them to be resolved. I knew Divergent had a ton of fans and I was just waiting for the final book to come out, but when it did and the reviews were horrible I decided to investigate. I didn't want to read something I was going to hate! When I realized what had even the most passionate fans ready to rumble, I decided I wouldn't even start. But then Amazon went and had them as a Kindle Daily Deal and I couldn't resist. I wish I had. So there's that.

My other gripe is a bit harder for me to put into words. I read books both for me and for my kids. I want them to love getting lost in a story as much as I do. I know first hand how powerful words can be, especially how words in books can shape perspective, understanding, and expectations of things that someone has never experienced for themselves. If you have never been to Alaska read "The Snow Child" and you'll feel like you grew up there. Want to know what it's like living in small-town Mississippi? Read a John Grisham novel. Want to know how it felt to experience the 9/11 terrorist attacks in Manhattan? Read "Peace in Amber" and you'll think you were there. Its been 17 years, but I still to this day think I know what's it's like to be an 11-year-old girl because I read "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" when I was 10. So, do I want my 12-year-old daughter to learn what first love is like by reading about Tris (who is 16, has never even held a boy's hand, yet can navigate romance with the skill of a seasoned adult) and Tobias (who is 18, never had a girlfriend, and has super human control over his hormones)? No! No! No! Their relationship is not real. I'm sad for the kids who read about Tris climbing in bed with Tobias wearing only a T-shirt and underwear, wrapping her legs around him under the covers, making out with passion and feeling, rubbing hands on hips and up and down bare backs, and then chastely falling asleep together, Tobias protecting Tris from her bad dreams. So romantic! So ideal! So not real! Someone who has experienced love can filter the fantasy from the reality. But children who have Tris and Tobias to thank for their first experience with love are going to be disappointed when their expectations fail to meet with their reality. So, as much as my daughters and sons may want to read the Divergent Series, I'm going to insist they wait.

In fact, I'm going to be suggesting the skip the Divergent Series all together.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just don't do it...., December 7, 2013
Would not recommend this series because of the third book. The first two were great. The third just leaves you mad and upset that you got so connected to the series in the first two! And also .. it's cheaper to buy them seperate!

2.0 out of 5 stars Final book lets it down, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Divergent Series Complete Box Set (Hardcover)
The first 2 books are brilliant, but are majorly let down by the 3rd book. It felt disconnected from the first two & doesn't measure up to their epic feel.

3.0 out of 5 stars First book: EXCELLENT. Last book: DISASTER., January 4, 2014
First off, it's actually cheaper to buy these book SEPARATE (at the time I'm writing this it is cheaper), so you might want to check the prices of the books separately before you buy this. I don't want you to feel ripped off, like I do!!

Novel 1:
I absolutely loved it! I couldn't put it down. It was suspenseful, engaging, and the characters were lovable and so different from one another. Tris is a strong female character, who is unique, well developed, and I can really relate to the decisions she makes to leave her faction and follow her heart. I love the world they live in, and the reason why they live in factions is very interesting.

Novel 2:
More is revealed about the world they lived in. The relationship between Tris and Tobias builds, and the characters develop further. I didn't love this as much as the first, but it left me wanting more.

Novel 3:
WOW this was extremely DISAPPOINTING. For some stupid reason, it is written from Tris and Tobias' perspective, which doesn't make sense to be, because the first two novels are from Tris' perspective only. I understand the concept of having two perspectives, so the reader can dive deeper into their world, but it is so poorly done. I can not differentiate between the two characters - when I am reading a chapter by Tobias, it could easily be Tris. There is no difference in the writing, it's like they are the same person - especially as it is written in first person.

I really wish I could give this 5 stars, because the first 2 books were excellent, however the last book was a let down, and I struggled to finish it. When I finished the last book, I felt disappointed. There was a beautiful metaphor in the ending, and yes it was a good ending...but it just didn't leave me happy. The ending made me sad. Sad for the characters, who really came to life for me, and sad because the last novel was such a let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars divergent was great, the other two... not so much., July 12, 2014
**Spoilers ahead**

I loved pretty much everything about Divergent. The dialogue was snappy, relatable, funny and not forced. The characters were interesting and entertaining. The story moved with an easy flow and I really got sucked into the life of the factions, wondering what I would choose and how life would be. The chemistry between Four and Tris crackled throughout and I'll admit that I gave a cheer when Tris found out Four wasn't under simulation with the rest of Dauntless and again when she was able to pull him out of it.

Insurgent was ok, but I think Tris took too long figuring out what the heck she wanted and Tobias' character just kind of fizzled and started unraveling. I loved "Four" in Divergent because he was strong, sure of himself, and steady, but all of that changed in Insurgent and got worse with Allegiant. Both he and Tris fell apart and I hated watching them get weaker rather than stronger.

Allegiant was tedious to read. I hated the story twist turning their city into a science project, I hated the new characters, I hated how much Tris and Tobias fought, I hated that Tobias wasn't Divergent after all and it made him doubt himself even more, I didn't think Tris needed to die, I didn't understand why Ms. Roth added in Tobias' perspective when we hadn't had it the first two books and it seemed pretty much the same as Tris' point of view. There was just so much junk to get through that the story suffered. I will read the first two again and pretend that's all there is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, March 20, 2014
This book was so interesting I was unable to put it down! It had me on the edge of my seat with every word. I finished the series in four days and now I wished I dragged it out longer. Great read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend because of the third book, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Divergent Series Complete Box Set (Hardcover)
Would not recommend this series because of the third book. The first two were great. The third just leaves you mad and upset that you got so connected to the series in the first two. Take this into consideration as the end of this series has been getting some major backlash. Swing and a miss.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother!, March 13, 2014
Love the series until the ending, which made me so mad I don't plan on watching the movie! I finished the series yesterday and I am still fuming!

Divergent Series Complete Box Set
Divergent Series Complete Box Set by Veronica Roth (Hardcover - October 22, 2013)
$55.97 $34.39