4,002
Divergent
Format: DVDChange
Price:$10.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 22, 2014
"Divergent" will inevitably be compared by many to that other YA book series, "Hunger Games." And while both books have strong young heroines, the books and movies are actually quite different. See the movie and judge for yourself. I went to see it with my family, but the theater had audiences of all ages - from older 40-50 something couples, to groups of high school-college friends, to middle schoolers with their friends or families. I would recommend this to the same audience that went to see "Hunger Games" - PG-13 and up.

For those not familiar with Veronica Roth's book, "Divergent" is the story of Beatrice (Tris) Prior, a young lady living in futuristic Chicago. Due to post-war effects, their society is divided into 5 factions that represent 5 virtues - Abnegation (selflessness/service to others), Candor (honesty), Dauntless (bravery), Amity (peace) and Erudite (knowledge/learning). Those who do not belong to a faction (basically, ostracized from society) are called "factionless." When they come of age, they attend a ceremony to select the faction they will join for the rest of their lives. Most choose the faction they are born in, while others may "defect." During the pre-ceremony aptitude test, Beatrice is told that her test results were "inconclusive", meaning she doesn't see to belong to a specific group. They call this "Divergent." Their society views "Divergents" as dangerous so Beatrice must keep this secret to protect her life. When she chooses her faction, she meets her new mentor and trainer Four and the brutal Eric and forms friendships with other new initiates Christina, Will and Al. The physical and mental training (think "boot camp") is intensive and challenging and Tris needs to find a way to survive. She eventually finds an ally in Four, who isn't quite what he seems.

The movie does a great job introducing the faction-based society to audiences, so you don't need to have read the book to enjoy or understand the plot. Having read the book, I would say I am very satisfied with the casting choices and the outcome of the film. I would consider this a faithful adaptation to the book - some scenes were excised due to time constraints and/or continuity/flow, but this is understandable if you take into account the differences between the book vs. film medium.

In terms of casting, I admit I was skeptical about Shailene Woodley (Tris) at first. Physically, she doesn't quite match up to book Tris (who is supposed to be small and waif-ish). But Shailene has the ability to take on this role of a vulnerable and conflicted young woman at the beginning of the film who grows in strength and confidence as the story goes on. Some would say that Theo James is much older than his book counterpart, but I can clearly see why he was chosen to play the complex Four. Theo plays Four with quiet strength and charisma - he is an imposing authority figure, but there is some vulnerability a well. He won me over from the first scene and he and Shailene have an undeniable chemistry. Kate Winslet (Jeanine Matthews), Jai Courtney (Eric) and Miles Teller (Peter) are also stand-outs. The remaining main supporting cast are Tony Goldwyn and Ashley Judd (Tris' parents), Ansel Elgort (Caleb - Tris' brother), Ray Stevenson (Marcus Eaton) and Tris' fellow initiates Zoe Kravitz (Christina), Ben Lloyd Hughes (Will) and Christian Madsen (Al). They capture the essence of their book counterparts very well and, while they are currently relative unknowns, I can see bright futures for the young cast. (And, yes, girls and boys, whether intentional or not, there is a lot of "eye candy" in this movie. I get it. Even Jai Courtney's Eric looks good in a dangerous/tough guy sort of way). Four is my favorite character in the book series and I am pleased to see that Theo James more than lives up to expectations.

The film was shot in Chicago so the filmmakers had to perform some digital magic to make it look and feel like a post-war, dystopian society. Costumes and sets all look spot on. It all works. Director Neil Burger injects pace, energy and a sense of foreboding and danger to the film. As soon as Tris leaves her faction, the action kicks off. There are lots of fight scenes between the initiates and among various characters, and yes, there is violence akin to what you would see in the "Hunger Games" series. There is also a budding romance - and while it is not as heavy a focus as it is in the books, it is equally satisfying.

As a big fan of the first 2 books ("Divergent" and "Insurgent"), I was very satisfied with the outcome. So many books out there get ripped to shreds by the time they make it to film, so I am glad to see that the screenwriters were very diligent in capturing the essence of this dystopian world and the characters that we love so much, and did not feel the need to change the story drastically. The plot follows that of the book and several key scenes are intact (albeit shorter and more compact) - whatever changes are made are relatively minor in comparison. The main characters are there, and there are more minor characters that may have been excised or will make an appearance in the next film. We hope this movie does well enough so that "Insurgent" is made, because that follow-up brings us more dimension to the story and fleshes out the role of these characters. For example, Marcus Eaton, Jeanine Matthews, Caleb, Peter and the Candor, Amity and Erudite factions, and Four's background are expanded more in the second book and new characters will be introduced.

My family and I came out of this film having a few discussions afterwards. Overall the reaction was very positive and we all enjoyed it immensely, so much so that we are all planning to see it again. I would highly recommend this movie not just to the book fans, but those who enjoy futuristic, dystopian films. Young and adult alike in my household enjoyed this film so it works for a broad range of audiences.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Nine Things about the Movie “Divergent”

1. This film is based on the first book of the popular young adult trilogy of novels.

2. If you haven’t noticed, contemporary young adult stories typically follow a set formula - an innocent kid joins a larger society and must be categorized. But then the kid discovers they are “special”, which causes problems for the society, and the kid must lose their innocence to survive in a dangerous world . Some recent examples are “The Hunger Games”, “Ender’s Game”, and the Harry Potter series. “Divergent” sticks to that exact same formula.

3. Just because you have seen this basic story multiple times does not mean the movie is bad. These kinds of stories are popular because it is the archetypal “hero’s journey” myth, and, if they are well-made, hit a nerve with us. Such movies can sometimes become classics - “The Wizard of Oz”, “The Lord of the Rings” and “Star Wars” are other, older examples of pretty much the exact same story.

4. Thankfully, “Divergent” is well done, and holds its own among its cinematic peers. It’s about a girl named Tris who takes a test (kind of like Harry Potter’s “sorting hat” or Ender’s training monitor) to discover which of five distinct factions she will become a member of (like Hogwart’s Houses or the Zones in “The Hunger Games”). But she is so special that the test breaks, and nobody knows what to do with her (like all the stories I just mentioned). So she must trust her gut and decide in secret.

4. Tris chooses her faction and begins her training, but she’s so gifted that she draws attention to herself, not only from her fellow classmates, but from her hunky instructor, too. And the leaders of another faction, who have controversial political aspirations.

5. The movie handles the usual themes well - conformity vs. independence, fear vs. bravery, and the trauma of growing up. But it also subtly asks a couple of bigger questions that are unfortunately not explored here; questions like “What is human nature, anyway?” and “While conformity may seem bad, what would happen if we were all independent?”.

6. The acting is decent, and the main characters have good chemistry. Thankfully, the movie delays the inevitable romance as long as it can, and tries not to let it get in the way of the bigger story.

7. Being aimed at young adults, there is not much blood or death, but some people may be surprised that there is a relatively high amount of violence, both explicit and implied.

8. The other two books, “Insurgent” and “Allegiant”, are expected to be made into movies and released in theaters in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

9. So yes, the story is old and predictable. No, “Divergent” won’t become a timeless classic. But if you aren’t just totally over this type of movie, it’s worth seeing. And it makes you realize why this same story keeps getting turned into movies over and over again: The issues that teenagers struggle with never go away. Mothers, fathers, sons and daughters are all dealing with the same existential problems. Only our perspective changes. And sometimes our choices.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I saw this movie opening weekend in the theater.

Admittedly I am really skittish about going to see book to movie adaptations, especially for books I loved. For someone who once helped run the TwilightMoms Site and avidly followed the filming of the first Twilight movie it’s strange to admit that I have only seen Twilight & New Moon. I never went to see the others because they just didn’t live up to the world and characters I had created in my head. I loved the Hunger Games but haven’t gone to see the movies. I probably will sometime. Maybe when the final movie is out. I hear their pretty well done but I just haven’t been able to make the leap yet because the cast doesn’t match the ones in my head.

I was however excited to see Divergent on the big screen. I liked this clip. It seemed like they got the casting and story-line right when I watched it.

I read Divergent over 2 years ago and loved it. I think having such a long time between reading the book and watching the movie made it easier for me to enjoy the movie. If all the details had been fresh in my mind I would have likely been annoyed at the changes that were made. I know there is no way to fit everything into a movie but all too often there are too many thing changed or interpreted differently than I envisioned them leaving me disappointed.

Overall I thought Divergent was one of the better book to movie adaptations I’ve seen. It was much darker and more violent than the way I saw it in my head as I read the book. However some of the scenes that I couldn’t quite picture in my head came alive on the big screen.

The PG-13 rating comes mainly from the violence – there is a lot of it. The sexual content and language were fairly mild for a PG-13 rated movie but there was a little of both.

Will I see the next movie Insurgent? Probably. I didn’t love Insurgent the book as much as I did Divergent but I maybe the movie will change my mind. Will I see the 3rd (& 4th one because they are splitting book 3 into 2 movies)? Only if I love Insurgent. I’m a happily ever after kind of girl and didn’t love the way Allegiant ended.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 28, 2014
Had it been made with some more originality - or ten or more years earlier perhaps - "Divergent" would have received more positive reviews. Everything in this sci-fi fantasy action (based on Veronica Roth books) is so familiar, especially for those who have seen "The Hunger Games" and other young adult themed films, that you can almost predict what is happening next.

The story takes place in a post-apocalyptic Chicago, where the entire population is divided into five factions based on their dispositions. Shailene Woodley ("The Descendants") is Beatrice Prior, 16-year-old daughter of an "Abnegation" family, who decides to be "Dauntless" at the Choosing Ceremony.

We don't know why she should choose that group whose sole interest seems to be doing parkour. That doesn't matter; the point is, renamed as "Tris," she struggles to survive the tests, and finds herself slowly attracted to the mysterious instructor Four (Theo James).

Directed by Neil Burger ("The Illusionist" "Limitless"), "Divergent" is 140 minutes of very average fun. The lead players are both very good, but the concept of "Divergent," those who can think independently, is not fully explored. I hope the studio will come up with new ideas that are more interesting for the planned sequels.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Goodness, this movie is dumb. Five factions - Amity, Dauntless, Candor, Abnegation, and Erudite (three nouns, two adjectives), and you had BETTER fit neatly into one of these. For starters, who does fit neatly into just one of these? Almost nobody, that's who - there would be boatloads of "divergents." And what about the shopkeepers, lunch counter workers, taxi drivers - is there a group for them, or are grocery stores and such just a thing of the past? And how many of these stories about unexceptional teenage girls saving the world do we have to stomach before this brand of entertainment plays out? And just as a matter of curiosity, what possible purpose can a faction of people with "candor" serve, especially since the smart folk have a faction all their own? So, I wasn't smart enough or selfless enough for Erudite or Abnegation, but I'm honest. This is just plain goofy and not even half-way imagined.
on August 8, 2014
Divergent is in fact divergent. It has elements of stories that may remind you of some other movies like The Hunger Games. That said it is unique and engaging, and still keeps the action fan in us happy. If you enjoy Science Fiction movies that are philosophical about a utopian society you will probably be pleased. I found it exciting, emotional, and intelligent. It isn't easy to combine those into a theme that doesn't seem either over the top ridiculous or mushy. It is successful in making us see a society of people divided into five factions. Although it seems perfect, inevitably someone gets the idea they are better for ruling the rest. In this case the supposed intelligent lawmakers. Was this a jab at lawyers? The peaceful agrarians that have been the decision makers are now in danger of being overthrown by the treacherous cold and calculating leader of the lawmakers. These lawmakers shouldn't be capable of such treachery and yet the leader somehow has convinced others like the leader of the law keepers it is for the greater good. Now to add a twist there are those in the society that could fit in anywhere they want because they have the makings of all, but this divergence is considered a threat and so they are ostracized and are killed or forced to flee the protection of the city. Perhaps a jab at our worldwide societies having difficulty finding rulers that have intelligence, compassion, and strength of character to stand up for everyone. I had heard mixed things about the movie, but I'm glad I decided to rent it. Although I thoroughly enjoyed and purchased both Hunger Games, I found this more thought provoking and I plan to add it to my library too. It seemed to me they left Divergent open for the possibility of a sequel, at least I hope so.

CA Luster
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2014
Films based on young adult novels are either a major hit or a complete miss. Each time one of these adaptations is released, the immediate reaction is to compare it to the successful (monetarily speaking, at least) novel-to-film endeavors, such as The Hunger Games, Twilight, or Harry Potter. But, with so many sub-par box office returns within the last few years from films like Beautiful Creatures, Vampire Academy, and The Host - these youthful adventures are starting to earn a bad rap. Why do some succeed while others miserably fail? In all honesty, it comes down to the feature film’s presentation and the plausibility of the story – plus it doesn’t hurt to have a recognizable face starring in the film. And, as all of this pertains to Divergent – it would appear (for the moment) the prospects are bright for the future of this potential franchise.

Based on the novel by Veronica Roth and directed by Neil Burger (Limitless, The Illusionist), Divergent stars Shailene Woodley as Beatrice Prior, the daughter of two prominent members of the Abnegation faction. In a post-war, desolate world that has been fenced-off from the rest of the world, Beatrice has reached the age where the time has come to take an induced placement exam that is supposed to tell her whether or not she should remain in her current faction or choose one of the other four very different factions – either Amity, Candor, Dauntless or Erudite.

After taking her exam, she is shocked to discover that her test results came back as divergent – a small fraction of the population that “think outside the box” and are heavily feared, by leaders like Jeanine Matthews (Kate Winslet), due to their ability to ask too many questions and disrupt the system. Keeping the test results to herself, she eventually decides to switch factions – joining the thrill-seeking, fearless Dauntless. However, new arrivals can’t just join the factions – they must prove and earn their place.

Initially, Beatrice (now going by the name Tris) finds it difficult to complete with her fellow new arrivals. She must learn how to fire weapons, complete in hand-to-hand combat, and avoid finishing in the bottom tier of her class – where she would become an outcast without a faction. However, Tris forms a bond with one of the Dauntless instructors, called Four (Theo James), who helps keep her motivated and prepared for whatever might come her way. And, even though it would appear that making Dauntless is her greatest obstacle, she eventually realizes there are far grander issues to consider as the other factions continue to be at odds with one another.

Much like Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games films, Shailene Woodley should be praised and commended for being able to take on such an emotion-filled character and giving her such a dominant onscreen presentation. Woodley, who is quickly rising through the ranks of young Hollywood actresses, proves that she has the ability to carry – not only a film – but also a franchise. To call her anything other than exquisite in this role would be a monumental lie and there’s little doubt that this film (critical acclaim or not) will propel her character even higher than its current trajectory.

While Woodley is the star of the film and incredibly enjoyable in her role, she is really outshined by the presence of newcomer Theo James. To many, he will be unrecognizable as his film resume is far from lengthy – but he is currently starring in the CBS drama, Golden Boy. In any event, James brings a secretive, brooding element to a film that would be completely different with any other actor. His role, not unlike David Boreanaz from his days of playing Angel, is slightly more powerful than everyone else around him. As the film progresses, so does his growing (and pleasant) chemistry with Shailene Woodley, and both of these characters find that they have far more in common than you could possibly imagine, at least based on their initial meeting.

The major antagonists of the film include Kate Winslet – whose character is almost a mirror image from the role that Jodie Foster played in the recent dystopian action flick, Elysium. Still, it’s nearly impossible to find a role in Winslet’s career where you can make the case that she performed badly. No, her character doesn’t have a huge role in the film, but her character carries enough weight that it needed a prominent actress like Winslet to sell the part. And, when Winslet is not around, the film has to rely on another rising Hollywood star to play the aggravating foe – Jai Courtney. Nearly the exact opposite of James’ character, Courtney portrays another Dauntless instructor, Eric – who has no problem inflicting his aggression on those that defy him.

The only real major downsides to this film are that it progresses in the same manner as all the other young adult films out. You have this protagonist that is special – almost like a ‘chosen one’ type character, who refuses to conform to the rules of society. The fact that this style of storytelling is far from original hampers it and holds it back from being anything more than your typical popcorn movie. And, this film does progress at a rather enjoyable pace, it feels like it takes too long to get to the climax, and once you arrive to that moment, the film attempts to do too much too quickly – forcing the film to feel like it has a pacing issue.

Overall, a case can be made for Divergent as being an exciting adventure, but also a case against it as being just another young adult film adaptation with the same old defiant characters and familiar plot progression. Where you land on that particular side of the fence will likely have to do with whether or not you’ve read the books and are a fan of those novels. By no means is Divergent better than The Hunger Games or Harry Potter, but it is eerily similar to Twilight – yet the acting is far superior to Twilight and even as engaging as The Hunger Games. Since Divergent is only the first film in a set of three popular novels, they likelihood that sequel, Insurgent, gets green-lit for a feature film will hang on the box office success of Divergent. But, at this state, it would appear the entire trilogy has an excellent chance of telling its full story on the big screen.

GRADE: C+
FNDNreview.com
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2014
Like many other book -> movie translations, it wasn't as true as you could hope, but there just isn't time for it all. Tris seems so much more gritty in the book than here, and that's the transition that really makes it special. It's this loss of character that keeps it at 3 stars for me. Still, the acting and action is good, and that makes for decent entertainment.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2015
Divergent (2014) is a thrilling, dystopian, action movie based on a book of the same title by author Veronica Roth. The book series is simply called Divergent as well, and consists of three main books, Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant; plus an additional few short stories.

So, in the movie Divergent (2014), we meet Beatrice Prior (Shailene Woodley), a teenage girl who lives amidst a precarious faction system within the walls of a great city safely cut off from the ruins of what once was America. The factions are Erudite, the knowledgeable ones; Amity, the peaceful crop-tenders; Candor, the honest; Dauntless, the brave protectors; and Abnegation, the selfless. Beatrice's parents are part of Abnegation, which makes Beatrice, and her brother Caleb, part of it too. —Until they get the test and choose a faction at the choosing ceremony. The test tells teens what they're most like (it helps them choose right at the choosing ceremony). ...But to some, like Beatrice, it tells something entirely different. Some dangerous. A condition punishable by death.

This film brings us along with Beatrice as she struggles to cope with being divergent, and live in spite of it. After joining a new faction, she begins to realize that some things are very wrong with the way her city is living, and she has to decide whether to stay undercover, or take a stand.

First off, I found Divergent (2014) to be thoroughly entertaining; interesting and captivating. The whole dystopian thing has really captured my attention of late, and that element of this movie doesn't disappoint.
We have the strange faction system. Crumbling, abandoned ships and skyscrapers. Fascinating concoctions that stimulate the part in a person's brain that processes fear... when is injected into a person, along with little things that allow your fearful hallucinations to be seen on a computer screen. Yeah, crazy technology or something. :P But it's very interesting to think of.

There's a strong family theme. It's easy to see that Beatrice and her brother and parents love each other. In some cases, this love is shown as certain ones put their life on the line for others. There's hugs exchanged, I love yous spoken, and sacrifices made.

No spiritual element to speak of since Divergent (2014) isn't a Christian movie (or book). I read somewhere that Veronica Roth is a Christian, so... I don't know. *Shrugs* Some good values are still captured in this film though, such as standing up for the innocent even when it'll hurt (even kill) you, and putting friends and family above yourself as well. There's lots of shooting and deaths, especially in the latter part of the movie, but I didn't feel those parts were too glorified; and there were several scenes of characters grieving over someone's death. It's seems evident that Tris (Beatrice) is shocked, horrified, regretful over all the deaths, and the fighting she herself has to do. You can see it in her eyes and a scene where she says she's not sure she knows who she is anymore.

That all being said, I will still note that some of the violence creeped me out. There were smaller things, such as the fighting rounds during Dauntless training, that didn't creep me out, but it wasn't too fun to watch, I'll admit. There were at least four intense fighting scenes, (girl on girl and boy on girl) in which one of the pair gets beat up pretty bad. There's punching in the face and stomach, some shoving and kicking and whatnot. The part that creeped me out really though, was when the fighting with guns/fighting against the government started in earnest... armed men are chasing a teenage girl, and loved ones start to die. I got over it after awhile, but it definitely made me stop and go, “wait, this isn't a pg, fluffy romance or anything”. So yeah, stop and realize this is pg-13 for intense violence before letting any younger children watch it. I would say viewers should be at least 13, preferably older (16 or so and up). If not because of the violence, then because there's definitely some mature themes that younger children and maybe even some teens can't really grasp.

Such as intense competition between the Dauntless, which results in a suicide. And some of the stuff the Dauntless leadership try to teach their trainees, like obeying even when you don't agree with what's being done, or are even horrified at what's being done.

Divergent (2014) was really interesting that way. It made me think of how some leaders/rulers really try to manipulate their people, as the society/dauntless leadership were trying to do in this film. "Human nature is the enemy," says one of the leaders, Jeanine Matthews... (which is true in a sense because it IS human nature to sin, to be selfish, to protect yourself even when it hurts others, to seek pleasure at any cost, and so on.) But the society's solution to human nature being the enemy, was to wipe out free will, wipe out thinking independently, wipe out emotions, wipe out the tie between family members. Faction before blood! is their quote. So yeah, its an interesting, thought-provoking theme overall.

The romance of Divergent (2014) was touching and heartfelt at points. A little too much at other points. There's an extended kissing scene as well as a few other little moments that perhaps didn't need to be added. Also, there's a brief hallucination of a girl getting attacked. Some immodest dress and inappropriate comments also are downs of this movie.

And there's some swearing. Some misuse of God's name. Perhaps four or five of each throughout the film.

In conclusion, I'm not really sure what to think of Divergent (2014) yet. Like I said, it entertained me. The dystopian world fascinated me. For the most part, Tris had a sweet romance. There were no really twisted ideals being promoted that I can see as of now. But there were still teens pummeling each other, and lots of shooting. The end of Divergent (2014) leaves me really wanting to watch Insurgent (2015)...but, we'll see.

For the most part, the dystopian world, the action, the crazy stunts, the intriguing story of Divergent (2014) really pulled me in. It's a thrilling watch in that aspect! :)

*For more information about the pros and cons of the movie Divergent, I would suggest visiting http://www.pluggedin.com/videos/2014/q3/divergent.aspx*
on October 1, 2014
First off I am going to start with, I did not read the books. I am only going by what I saw in the movie. So I can only assume I am missing a few things. Maybe if I read the books I would care a little more about what is going on. Maybe the story wouldn’t be so bleh. Maybe you couldn’t poke holes in everything, or the plot wasn’t so in your face easy to figure out. This made it difficult for me. I didn't care about the characters, I didn't care about the danger they were in, and I didn't really care about the love story either. That being said, I didn't totally hate it. The movie just felt like it was going through the motions.
To give you a little bit of what I am talking about, my wife and I like to talk about the movie after it is done to see how we both thought of it. We both came to the same conclusion, and just didn't understand why a society would willfully create a utopian like society by creating factions which segregate people into 5 faction (6 really, but I will get to that later). They are:
1. Abnegation (Selfless) Always help those in need
2. Erudite (Intelligent) The engineers
3. Dauntless (Brave) The military or teenagers getting to do what they want
4. Amity (Peaceful) The Buddhists
5. Candor (Honest). They just never lie – whooped dee-doo
The movie made it seem like these factions couldn't intermingle or don’t. I’m not sure which.
You are born into one of these factions. However if you do not like the faction you are in, you could choose to leave and join another faction once you reach a certain age. Before you do so, you go through a "test." This “test” is to determine what faction you would be good in before you choose. A fail safe to not choose poorly. Once you choose, there is no turning back. Choosing the faction you were born into would be easiest as you already know what is required of you, choosing a new faction becomes difficult and requires you to go through the “trials.” If you fail these “trials” you become factionless (6th faction). A dystopian group of homeless faction rejects, the janitors, bus drivers, servants. Now comes the divergent part. Detergents’ could be good at all factions and is seen as a threat to the way of their society’s norm. Or as the movie calls it, someone who doesn't think like everyone else. (Woooo special) So back to this factionless 6th faction. Wouldn't this factionless be classified as a faction then? This faction does not seem to have rules and guidelines like very one else does, a faction with all factions intermingling together to strive (though in poverty). A faction full of people not thinking like the segregated factioned utopian society. What this movie seems to call divergent? (I don't see a huge plot point coming in the following movies, nope not at all)
Now I won't ruin the whole movie by explaining other examples as I am really starting to ramble but this movie is meant to be watched with your brain off. A movie for teenagers, as this faction that the main character, Beatrice (later to be just known as Tris) chooses, does not have adults. I think I saw 1, maybe 2 once she chose to join Dauntless. The movies "Military" force. A faction of teenage heart throbs having to live co-ed, jumping, laughing, and running around all parkour like everywhere they go. ((((*** This section contains some spoilers - With a captain that of course hates the lead character, and a co-captain that loves her who is also a hidden Divergent (if you didn’t see it coming a mile away then please start using Lumosity. You brain could really use some exercise)))
I think I will stop now. If you want to watch this movie, watch it without expectations. Watch it with your brain off. Watch it if you are a parent and your teenage daughter wants to watch it with you, or if you yourself are a teenage daughter. Otherwise you will be a bit disappointed.