Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Customer Discussions > The Gospel of Judas forum

Diversity in early Christianity

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 28, 2006 2:23:00 AM PDT
Kara says:
We have been lulled into believing that the 4 gospels that made it into the New Testament are definitive, that the more than 30 other gospels that have been found have no merit, no basis in truth. How do we know? Why were only 4 chosen?

The important thing is for us to understand the diversity of the early church. There were so many different Christianities that emerged after Jesus' death, so how can we really know what is truth? We need to consider the idea that we just might not know everything. Who are we to decide that something is not authentic or is "heretical" just because it wasn't politically correct at the time? Or just because it isn't politically correct NOW?

Are we so willing to dismiss this writing simply because it does not jive with what we were taught in Sunday School all our lives? Let's at least open our minds enough to consider the possibility that the gospels that made it into the NT were based on politics rather than any real knowledge about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and the nature of God. How can we ever REALLY know? If indeed we can't know, why are so many people desperately afraid to entertain challenges to what they've been taught all their lives? I suggest we let go of our fear and allow Judas and other discarded gospels to at least spark intelligent thought and discussion rather than knee jerk dismissals based on fear of change.

Notify me when someone changes this ProductWiki

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2006 8:00:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2006 8:02:11 PM PDT
If one is interested in evaluating the truth or falsity of events as recorded in history, one could do far worse than to read Michael Shermer's book "Denying History: Who Says the Holocaust Never Happened and Why Do They Say It?" which is available for purchase on Amazon. It does far more than deal with the holocaust. Shermer does a good job of teaching his readers how to critically evaluate the evidence touching upon historical accounts. Since we cannot go back in time to experiences events for ourselves such as the formation of the New Testament, we have to look at the evidence and Shermer gives good guidance in this regards.

By way of disclaimer, I have never met Shermer in person, but we have exchanged emails. Even though we hold significantly different positions on religious issues as I am a Christian and Shermer is one of America's foremost Skeptics, I've come to admire and respect his honesty and willingness to think things through in a logical manner and the courtesy he has shown to those who disagree with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 10:46:21 PM PDT
Robert S. says:
Judas. Jews. Nice leap.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Gospel of Judas forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2006
Latest post:  Oct 18, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Gospel of Judas
The Gospel of Judas by Marvin Meyer (Hardcover - April 6, 2006)
4.1 out of 5 stars (151)