Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on May 21, 2012
Veer Union are among the newer bands in the rock music realm. To date, they have only released one major-label album, Against the Grain, and an independent album, Time to Break the Spell. I bought this album, entitled Divide the Blackened Sky, after skimming through it on Spotify, and was liking what I heard. When I actually thoroughly listened to it, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be, but still I liked this album nonetheless.

The band's sound isn't original, sure, but at least they execute this familiar sound better than bands like Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, and Daughtry, not saying that those bands are bad in any way. I'd say this band's sound is more along the lines of Adelitas Way and Cavo, which are both good radio-rock sounding bands that aren't too popular. Also, this album has no traces of profanity, which I have seen in Theory of a Deadman and Nickelback, and even something great like Shinedown.

Onto the actual album. Some of the standout tracks are the title track, Buried in the Ground, leadoff single Bitter End, and Silent Gun, even though all of them hark to that basic song structure. There are some flaws with this album. Even with its haunting verses and very well executed (even though unoriginal) chorus, Buried in the Ground ends very abruptly, clocking in at 2 minutes and 20 seconds, and with no final chorus to conclude the song. I wish the song was longer and more effective, but it's still my favorite song nonetheless. Other than being simple, the lyrics are not entirely of new topics. Also, the album is way too short, giving us only 10 tracks, which is not a complete amount of songs. If they added the B-sides from this album on the record (trust me, there are B-sides to this album, just look at their B-Side EP), than I would happily give it more attention.

Despite the many flaws that this album has, this album is still fun and enjoyable at its very best. It's more agressive than their previous works, it has actual emotion, and it focuses on relatable topics, despite them being written about before. Like I have stated, some songs don't always have to be complex. They can be as simple as a one-note song, and can still be filled with depth, which is what this album has. Veer Union is definitely a band to look out for.

TRACKS:
Borderline (4/5)
Bitter End (5/5)
I Will Remain (4/5)
Buried in the Ground (5/5)
Inside Our Scars (3/5)
Live Another Day (3/5)
Divide the Blackened Sky (5/5)
Silent Gun (5/5)
Last Days of Life (4/5)
Stolen (4/5)
ALBUM SCORE: (42/50)

Rating: 4 stars/5 stars
on March 31, 2012
I give these CDs a few good listens over a few days to make my final review. I need to appreciate the music. I'm a fan of this genre of melodic rock and metal. Some bamds I like are Sevendust, Shinedown, Daughtry, Rev Theory, etc. That said, this is a good album; a bit more aggressive than their 1st album. I liked their 1st better because of the song structure, however this still sounds good and has meaningful, painful lyrics with excellent guitar work. Not disappointed though the 1st album grabbed me quicker. All in all, nice job.
on June 22, 2012
The other reviews on the content and musicality of this album are accurate and I enjoyed the material.

The only fly in the ointment, which I notice is shared by a large number of the hard rock albums I have purchased over the last couple years, is the approach taken in an attempt to make the material as "loud" as possible. The result is most noticeable on the track "Silent Gun". During the choruses the audio "pumps and breaths" so severely it is truly distracting.

The band is talented and it sounds like the original recording was solid, but whoever mastered this album was clearly asleep at the wheel.
on March 29, 2012
Back with their second album, the Veer Union has really outdone themselves here. This is a great album all around. Solid vocals and great guitars and emotion throughout. Best songs are Bitter End, I Will Remain, Inside Out Scars, and Divide the Blackened Sky (which is the perfect name for the album and probably the best song IMO).

Very underrated and great album! 5/5
on April 5, 2012
I love TVU. There one of my favorite bands. There heavy hitting riffs, mixed with gorgeous harmonic vocals, and lead guitar overtones combine in just the perfect combination of awesomeness. I can't give this a five star rating however because of how short it is. 10 songs and barely over 30 minutes of new music, so you'll be hearing them over and over again in the car. Not a terrible thing, seeing as how great all the songs are...but still.

My favorite tracks are
1)Inside Our Scars
2)Silent Gun
3)Borderline
on April 23, 2012
I had a chance to see these guys live recently and they really caught my attention. Great sounding and this new album is even edgier than their debut. Check out the song Bitter End. I really love both albums, but I thought I would write a short review on this one and give them props. If you have a chance, catch them at a live show. They won't dissapoint!
on January 13, 2013
Randomly came across this on Amazon, listened to some of the samples and I must say I took a chance and purchased this cd. I very, very rarely buy an entire cd, normally I just purchase a track or two at most but I gambled on this cd and it paid off. There's only one song I don't really feel too strongly for on this cd but it's growing on me. Overall an enjoyable cd to just listen to but a great cd for the gym because it really gets you pumped. Highly recommend this!
on March 3, 2015
TVU is such an underrated band. Divide is a great album full of brilliant songs, powerful vocals, and skilled instrumentals. I listen to it more than any other album I have. This album, heck, this band, is empowering. Listen to them after a breakup and you won't go back. Seriously.

(They're also awesome live, but that has nothing to do with this...)
on September 29, 2012
This 2nd album is VERY GOOD!! You will NOT be disappointed if you buy this album. I give this album a 4.8 out of 5. I also recommend you listen and buy their 1st album. The 1st album isn't as good but it's at least a 4 out of 5. Thanks Veer Union and keep up the GREAT work!!
on May 11, 2012
Good to see TVU come back with a killer sophomore rock album!! If you liked there first effort you will definetly dig this one. Solid across all tracks with a crushingly heavy sound and a stellar mix! Check it out, you won't be disappointed!