5.0 out of 5 stars Surviving the Wreck
You must be willing to dive into your own wreck, get soaking wet, risk getting the bends, and triumph in surviving when you jump
into Adrienne Rich's poems from the early 70's. If there were no date noted on this book, one could place them in the present.
Published on December 15, 2011 by Lucia

Published 7 months ago by Joseph J. Truncale

5.0 out of 5 stars Surviving the Wreck, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 (Paperback)
Rich's metaphors hold true even though forty years have passed. Today, my favorite is the one about Talking to the Dead. I think because it
reminds us of all those lost to us as we approach year's end: the ones we loved and the ones we didn't even know. It asks what happens to all that love that doesn't stop
simply because the loved one is gone. Does it rush away like water? Flood the land? Does it burn like embers not quite extinguished?
On a more universal level, we might think of all the potential wasted in needless death, an interpretation that expresses Rich's precept that
the personal is always political. Reflecting on all of the levels of Rich's meaning can give us the means to survive our own wrecks and be willing
to dive with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite single volume of poetry, May 6, 2001
This review is from: Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 (Paperback)
Adrienne Rich is one of America's best poets, and this is certainly her best collection. To use the word "angst" to describe these poems (as a previous reviewer did) is to diminish these works of volcanic beauty. This collection reads very well as an organic whole, but some of the best individual poems are "Incipience," "The Stranger," and, of course, the title poem. Common themes of awakening and discovery run through this book; I wish that every women would read these poems. Rich finally shakes free of the masculine poetic establishment and rejects male mythology as she writes:
A man is asleep in the next room/ We are his dreams/ We have the heads and breasts of women/ the bodes of birds of prey/ Sometimes we turn into silver serpents
Rich dives into the wreck and comes out transformed. Don't miss this opportunity to explore your own wreck.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fair collection of poems (diving Into the Wreck: Poems 1971-1972) from Adrienne Rich., January 12, 2014
This review is from: Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 (Paperback)
I have had an avid interest in various types of poetry most of my life. My favorite poetry form is the shorter Asian poetry like haiku poems. Nevertheless, even though I prefer the old masters of the art, I also sometimes read the so-called modern free verse poets like Adrienne Rich. Many of the poems in this collection appeared in American Poetry Review, The American Review, The New York Review of Books, The Saturday review and other publications.

One of the reasons I have stopped subscribing to most poetry publications is because they all seem to favor free verse poetry, which I think many times is what I would term "garbage poetry." No matter how many free verse poems I read, I still think most of them seem to me like they were written by some incoherent, semi-illiterate, paranoid, possible lunatic. Many of them make absolutely no sense as they often ramble on and on with no real purpose or message that the average person could possibly understand. Poetry is supposed to be for everyone not just the pseudo-intellectuals. This means the reader should be able to comprehend the message of the poet and not wonder what the hell the poet is writing about.

In any case, I notice most of the previous reviewers gave this poetry book 5 stars, which is truly amazing to me. To be fair and objective, which I attempt to be in all my reviews, I did like a few of these poems (but very few) and that is why I gave it three stars. If you like this poet than you will probably enjoy this particular collection of poems.

Rating: 3 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: The Samurai Soul: An old warrior's poetic tribute)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, can't go wrong for meaningful poetry, July 17, 2014
This review is from: Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 (Paperback)
Best read with some background knowledge. Rich is sometimes called a "political poet," so keep that in mind and you'll get so much more from her work. Diving Into The Wreck in particular has much deeper meaning than may be first apparent. That being said, Rich is absolutely brilliant. It's a great collection- graceful and intelligent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Years of Angst and Resolution, October 22, 2000
This review is from: Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 (Paperback)
The poems that are included in this book are particulary noteworthy for their angst. Rich weaves words into powerful images that portray her stuggle as a woman, a lover, and as a human being.
This collection of poems was written during the early years (1971-72) of her career as a poet. Although the imagery and voice are understandably not as clearly defined as in her recent work, this book is a must read for anyone who is interested in the development of poetic voice and style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite poet, February 6, 2007
This review is from: Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 (Paperback)
Adrienne Rich's poetry (and her prose as well) speak with the feminine voice and touch the feminine soul.

Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972
Diving Into The Wreck: Poems 1971-1972 by Adrienne Rich (Paperback - August 17, 1994)
Used & New from: $3.34