4.0 out of 5 stars Shame On Me
This game.... I used to hate this game. Why? (bear with me a minute)Because it was so graphically terrible that it was unplayable. I mean, the graphics were so crappy and so grainy that I couldn't even see half the NPCs in the game until I got right on top of them. It was awful.

There was some other stuff I hated too. Combat seemed terribly clunky, the...
Published 12 months ago by Dagger One Bravo

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
It sucked!!!!
Published 1 day ago by Jonathan Henderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame On Me, June 26, 2013
This review is from: Divinity II: Developer's Cut [Download] (Software Download)

There was some other stuff I hated too. Combat seemed terribly clunky, the voice-acting was laughable, etc.

I admit it. I never got more than an hour into this game because the graphics were so God-awful that I just couldn't stand to look at it anymore. I tried it on the Xbox - looked terrible. I tried it on PC - looked terrible. Tried it TWICE on PC, actually, and both times with the same results. It was terrible... just terrible.... and I became a bonafide, card-carrying Divinity II hater assuming that if I couldn't stand to look at the game for more than an hour what could I possibly me missing. Makes sense, right? Right?

Not in this case. All the above was with the Dragon Knight Saga or whatever it was called. Well, turns out that something called The Developer's Cut got put in my game library so I said, "What the hell, I'll see what it's all about"(I was really bored)and DL'ed and installed it.

For some reason the graphics problem, which, judging by the many times I got called a liar, etc., I was the only one to experience had disappeared and the game was actually tolerable to at least look at. The fighting was still clunky but after a while that wasn't a problem anymore either. Anyway, the game I had once hated more than just about any game I've ever played became the best single-player RPG I've ever played!

It has some shortcomings:

* Sometimes it's hard to know what changing a piece of gear will do to your stats and you can't check to see until you have the item you're interested in in your inventory. Just looking at the stats of an item before you buy or pick it up can be misleading.

* Quests, especially the campaign line, will often leave you wondering what to do or where to go. There aren't any quest markers on the map or a little arrow on your mini, telling you which direction to head.

* The lighting is so intense that it can really drag your frames down sometimes. This is really only the case if you've got it all maxxed out. I turned it all the way down to medium and it seemed like the only thing it did was effect the lighting. The textures and all remained superb but the lighting toned down tremendously and, IMO, the game actually looked better. It was at that point that I realized my previous issue with the graphics was likely somehow related to the lighting.

* Occasional stuttering as you move across the map. I don't know why it does this. Seems to happen more frequently the longer you've been playing and my GPU software reads a cool 55 celsius. My remedy for this was to stop, save the game and then reload the save. Might even have to reload it twice but whatever.... it works.

* Other minor stuff that all games have.

The positives certainly outweight the negatives.

* The voice-acting is totally different once you leave the tutorial map and Broken Valley. It's like it was done by completely different people after this and ranges from acceptable to outstanding with some downright hilarious dialogue.

* It's graphically beautiful and very detailed. Even for an '09 game, it's still very nice. I might say that the first couple maps seemed sort of washed out and faded but that's about it.

* The maps are well-designed with only one area that I would called "boring". Once you leave the forest areas the game becomes something like a medieval fantasy wrapped up in the surrealistic nightmare hallucinations of a psychopath. Definitely a very unique setting and loaded with humorous takes on stuff like the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the Terminator movie.

* Awesome story with lot's of lore and unexpected surprises. Incidentally, this game deals, like many of them do, very heavily with the occult. Where this game differs is in it's accuracy (for the genuine occult, not the nonsensical gobbledygook popularized by modern horror films) and method of approach. The latter acknowledges the former with the same imagery and metaphorical cloaking common to esotericism. So, however this might sit with you, don't worry about it because if you don't understand, you aren't going to recognize anything more than one or two familiar words at best.

*The combat is really very fluid and easily manageable with great special effects.

*The developer's console, hence the name "Developer's Cut" is great and allows you to take a lot of shortcuts and get the better gear and upgrade components without a lot of trouble. It has tons of other stuff it can do too, like grant you invulnerability, level you anytime you want to level, overlevel your skills and give you as much money as you want. Beware of this thing though. It can potentially BREAK your campaign, as in make you unable to progress beyond a certain point if you over use some of it's functions. It hasn't happened to me yet but I can see how unlocking access to the wrong places could cause it to.

Also, just to save you the trouble, it doesn't do any good to use the console to level your skills beyond their normal cap. You CAN assign 50 points to a skill that caps at 15 and it'll even show in the skill list but all it does is resets that skill to zero. Apparently the game recognizes anything over the intended cap as being simply zero, regardless of what number it shows.

Found this out after giving myself a skill of 50 in inventory capacity, loading myself up with enough upgrade charms to outfit all my gear, then trying to buy something from a vendor who wouldn't sell it to me because my inventory capacity was at zero.... with a skill of 50. I ended up having to sell or destroy several hundred unwanted charms which takes quite a while. It seems that you can only give yourself charms as a package deal containing one of every charm available in the game and to get enough of the best ones to outfit all your stuff, you have to give yourself ~10 sets of ~60 charms. 10 x 60 = 600!

As far as the comments in another review here relating to broken files, I don't mind saying that I did not encounter one single problem downloading or installing the game. Not one. The only problems I have seen are a couple times the autosaves didn't work and I got put back several levels because I wasn't saving on my own (d@mned immersion!) and the Got To Region button very occasionally dropped me through the map. To solve this you can return to your battle tower (if you're that far into the game) save and reload. That fixed it for me. If you have no battle tower yet, I guess you can go back to your last save. Oh, wait... You can also open the console and use the Go To Person option. Just type in the name of some NPC that you remember and click the button. That works too.

Okay, end of another "exhausting and useless review". The game is excellent, so much more than I ever suspected it was.

EDIT: Why do I always forget this... Works fine on Windows 7/64 bit. You'll want a good mid-high end graphics card to get the best performance out of it though. Also, if you use the God-mode you have to turn it on every time you start the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the truth. Believe it., May 4, 2013
I got an email from Amazon with the link to download this upgraded version of "Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga", which is the "Developer's Cut" version of (it). Now I've only seen one other review (if you even want to call it that)of this title on Amazon. Maybe this other person was having downloading issues or connectivity problems, but there is nothing wrong with it. And it installs just fine. The download size is 7.26 GB, so if you have a slower internet speed? Of course it will take longer to acquire. I only checked this program out for a mere 5 minutes after installing it, and I can tell you that the graphics are simply breathtaking. The audio is great and when your player "runs", it's a very "fluid" movement. I can't wait to play this title all the way through because it appears to be a real winner. Now my rig is Windows 7 64bit, and the display I had it set at was 1920 X 1080. Upon installing this upgraded version you're presented with this 1st menu that displays this: Play Divinity II Normal Mode
Play Divinity II Developer Mode

Depending on your choice, the MAIN screen will give you the option of playing

Play Divinity II Ego Draconis
Play Divinity II Flames of Vengeance

If you selected Developer Mode from the 1st menu, it will be the same as the normal mode with this (warning) stating:

Developer Mode on. Warning: using this version can invalidate game flow and break your save games. Use at your own risk. Press F11 during game-play to open the Developer's Console. [warning in all red letters]. I hope this clears a lot of confusion up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought on Steam. Great game, very underrated., May 31, 2013
This is an Open World RPG with an Open Class System allowing you to make whatever Hero you want. It has an engaging storyline, good graphics, and the ability to turn into a Dragon at any time to solve puzzles, explore new areas, and fight monsters.

The Dragon Form even has its own Skill Tree.

There are countless items, upgrades to those items, spells, enchanting weapons and armor, etc.

The game isn't a Sandbox like Elder Scrolls, but it isn't exactly completely linear. It gives you freedom to complete optional quests but also has the Main Storyline to keep you moving.

Expect a fast paced Action RPG with actual combat mechanics instead of something like Oblivion or Skyrim where combat is generally very dull, repetitive, and lacking in skill.

Definitely try this game if you liked Kingdoms of Amalur also. But again, remember, this isn't some Open Sandbox Game, it's a game driven by a Main Storyline and made even more enjoyable by an engaging Combat System with a ton of different Skill Combinations because of the Classless Skill System.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, February 5, 2014
I give it 5 stars because it is a great rpg game. Lots of options to choose from, cool story, nice graphics and audio. And it was cheap. :)
I recommend it to any rpg lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome!, November 14, 2013
Awesome Price! Awesome Visuals! Awesome Gameplay! Awesome Storyline! Awesome Game!

I had Divinity II Ego Draconis, and had played it extensively; however, the Directors Cut version was like playing a whole new game. That's without even getting into The Flames of Vengeance version. Another Plus? The awesome price. All of this makes for a long playing game, massive entertainment and well worth the investment.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, July 8, 2014
Jonathan Henderson (Trion, GA United States) - See all my reviews
It sucked!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Divinity II: Developer's Cut, April 16, 2013
This might have been good but the files that you download are corrupted.
So I have to say it sucks.If I could give it no stars I would.

Rate and Discover Movies