Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on April 24, 2013
Divorce: Think Financially, Not Emotionally
Jeffrey A. Landers

Anyone that thinks divorce is a piece of cake, no sweat or not a problem has either taken something to calm their nerves, is living in world of make believe or not facing reality. Divorce is difficult but the end result is what you make of it and how you work to make sure that you and your children come out financially sound. Anger, loss, betrayal, disloyalties, hate, fear, panic are just some of the emotions and feelings you might feel just learning that your spouse has decided to let's say move on with his life. But, there is help, hope and definitely many support systems out there that a smart, savvy and well-prepared woman can avail herself of before falling down a deep dark pit known as financial disaster. Many women fall into several different traps when they begin the process of landing on their feet and finding their way to financial freedom and independence.

When deciding that this is your only route you need to think with your head and your mind and leave those emotions of anger, helplessness, despair and rage somewhere else. You need to be informed, you need to have the right team of experts handling your case and you need to read page 5 of this great resource to help you create a checklist of what you need to know from the start. Your goal or mission and you do choose to accept it is to make sure that when all is said and done you go not remain in this Divorce Rollercoaster or take an elevator ride that goes up and down getting you nowhere but emerge debt free, emotionally sound and of course with your finances in tact. But, first warnings that you must heed first. When driving your car you know that the yield or stop sign means you need to stop or take notice of another car allowing them to go first or they have to yield the right of way. No one is going to yield the right of way in a divorce so you need to charge ahead on your own but first: STOP: LISTEN AND UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING: If Uncle Ned or Aunt Sally suggests that cousin Tim do your finances thank them and cordially decline. If Nora Jean your best friend has divorce advice for you on how to handle your ex-husband thank her but do not act on what she says. Author Jeffrey A. Landers, CDFA states three major reasons whey you need to not heed the advice of friends and relatives. First, every woman's divorce is different. Second, "A little knowledge can be very dangerous," and third you can find the professional help you need. Numbers one and two you can read the explanations for yourself but I will focus on number three. You need to find a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst who is trained to handle and understand the financial aspects of divorce. The author then elaborates on his training and why relatives and friends would not be the right ones enlists in this matter even if they happen to be CPA's or financial planners. Added in he adds a Reminder at the end of the chapter telling readers that divorce financial advisors are the most qualified and knowledgeable to handle your case and deal with the good you might say and the bad. An important point that many people forget and all too often I have seen on the social networks and that is comments, statements, pictures, remarks, facebook updates, tweets, blogs and photos that will make you look bad. Watching your words, not putting photos of you out with the girls in a bar or a club would show that you are using your mind and not venting your anger in public. Emails, texts and other forms of communication are divorce lawyers you might say chocolate treat that they eat up, swallow and savor at your expense. So, let's talk divorce. Not that hard and you see it really is just a word you have to fully understand not just because it means a disbanded marriage but what the words inner most thoughts and feelings express and how they will affect you.

There are six financial steps that the author explains in chapter three that are vital, crucial and needed to Prepare for divorce. Step One: Collect financial documents. Step Two: Check Your Credit Report. Step Three: Research Divorce Professionals, Step Five: Really important so listen carefully: Open New Accounts in Your Name and finally Establish Private Communication. What that means is take out a post office box so that your mail comes to a different place and your soon to be ex cannot get his hands on it. Change your mobile phone number, passwords and pins to insure that your privacy and funds are not invaded. Be aware of what he is doing and by getting your credit report you will know if he is using your name, social security number or accounts for himself or maybe a hidden girlfriend.

Chapter Four highlights how to get organized and the ball rolling in your direction of favor. After you collect your financial documents you need to have a Lifestyle Analysis Prepared, which "establishes your standard of living," during the time you were married. In other words it is the day-to-day living expenses incurred during your marriage and the spending habits of both you and your spouse. Monitoring your spending is vital and secure funds for professional fees and once again I cannot impress this upon you too much: Get A Copy of Your Credit Report. Next, the author explains Legal matters. Chapter Five is really self-explanatory where the author explains the four divorce alternatives. I will let you read that for yourself. Chapter 6 is quite vital, compelling and will set you on the right road to divorce and financial success. You need four Key Players on your Divorce Team: Matrimonial/Family Law Attorney, Divorce Financial Planner, forensic account, a valuation expert and one more for homeowners or proper owners: A real estate appraiser. But, do not feel that there is something wrong with you if you or your children need to speak to a therapist or counselor. But, the most vital member of the team is YOU! Chapter 7 focuses on protecting your credit followed by a detailed explanation of equitable distribution and community property. First, you need to learn whether you live in a community property state or equitable distribution state and the definitions are clear and the examples quite detailed. A really interesting chapter that will save you much grief and might make things easier for you to understand is what is the difference between separate vs. marital property detailed in Chapter 9 and Chapter 10 which explains the importance of understanding and knowing your exact date of separation and how it plays in your divorce proceedings. Valuation Dates: in a divorce that is the "point in time when that dollar value is assigned. Divorce requires "the division of all marital assets." This is explained in detail and easily understood in Chapter 11. Did you ever hear the terms: MINE, HIS, OURS: Well chapter 12 Active vs. Passive Appreciation will explain that more fully. Let me explain further: An asset can increase in value in one of two ways: Actively or passively. Actively: as a result of actions by the owner of the asset or passively as a result of change in the market. The rules, how it applies in equitable distribution states, what the judge must find and how this affects your assets is explained in detail in this chapter.

Chapter 13 is crucial as it discusses whether you should keep your house. Several questions come into play: Why you are interested in keeping the house? Can you afford to keep it? Have you fully considered the truth worth of the house vs. other assets? Be careful when it comes to retirement accounts and pension and whether your spouse is entitled to a part of it or a percentage. Chapter 14 explains that retirement funds added during your marriage are considered marital property. Division of 401 K's and pension require a Qualified Domestic Relations Order. A QDRO specialist will help you avoid mistakes. Once again you can read about alimony yourself and health, life and social security in chapters 15 and 16. Protecting your business if the bulk of Chapter 17.

Special topics makes up Part two and the first is eight underhanded tactics husbands use during divorce and the author explains each one, gives examples and how to protect yourself. Next, eight places husbands hide assets like a safety deposit box, overpaying the IRS or creditors or even transferring stock. So, be vigilant and stay alert. Let's hope things do not get out of hand and the information in Chapter 21 will be just that information dealing with restraining orders. How to Divorce Proof your Business and Post and Prenups and finally the seven important steps for Financial Stability After Divorce: Update your accounts, develop a comprehensive financial plan, build your credit and seek help from a financial advisor. You guessed it there are more but you need to learn what they are for yourself in order to understand how to get to be financially stable on your own. Appendix A has your financial checklist and the author is the founder of Bedrock Divorce Advisors and works exclusively with women. Author Jeffrey A. Landers presents a clear, concise, easy to understand way for women to find their way to financial stability during and after a divorce. This is a great resource for everyone to read. I would even say that before young couples marry they might want to read this book to understand the seriousness of marriage and what might happen if their marriage winds up in divorce. One great book that is a definite must read.
0Comment59 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2013
This book focuses on the financial aspects of divorce and covers everything that a women should consider as well as steps to take to get yourself into a position of financial stability. Divorce can be scary for a woman who has given up her career to become a stay at home mom - as this is the situation I found myself to be in. As someone who had become a dependent spouse over the years, I found this book to be reassuring because it helped me to become informed and also to understand that I have options. I found it to be easy to read and understand and it helped me to take action / move forward during a difficult time. I recommend this book to all women who are considering or going through a divorce.
0Comment29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2013
I am in the midst of a divorce proceeding that is a living nightmare... my husband is a criminal attorney that has been described by one of his peers (a superior court judge in the city where we live) as a sociopath with a narcissistic personality disorder. My husband must "prevail", therefore, he has lied, bullied, twisted facts, and manipulated our adult children to such an extreme that it is horrific. Jeffrey Landers book has given me a comprehensive outline on how I must proceed so that I can endure this storm without totally losing my mind. My divorce will be a lengthy process... it could take years due to the size of our estate. I keep Mr. Landers book handy as I refer to it often. The title alone has become my daily mantra. I constantly have to stay focused on the financial aspects of this proceeding... if I allow my emotions to take over I begin to spiral down and that is just where my husband would like for me to be... wallowing in self pity and powerless.
33 comments40 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2013
Divorce is an emotional decision on many levels. And the financials between the two parties are on another level all together. Jeffrey A. Landers has written a book specifically geared to dependent female spouses, wives who rely solely on their husbands for financial support, to help them get their financial futures in order. But it is an important read for any woman in this situation.

Divorce: Think Financially Not Emotionally covers all the basics in the book's sections: Preparing for Divorce; Dividing Assets and Debts: Key Concepts; Protecting Your Assets; and Special Topics. The Appendix includes a Divorce Financial Checklist. Each chapter walks you through a concept with added reminders (recap of any terms), hot tips, and legal matters.

Property, pensions and retirement accounts, and equitable distribution states are all covered, and specific chapters deal with hot button issues: Eight Places Husbands Hide Assets; Protecting Your Credit; and Intellectual Property. The book helps women do the work to protect themselves, and find the right answers. The second chapter sums it up well with reasons you shouldn't listen to or get divorce advice from family and friends.

An important read for any women facing a divorce as it provides not only concrete steps to take to protect themselves financially, but also presents concepts to bring up with their divorce team that might have been overlooked.
11 comment15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2013
I have read so many books about divorce and finances during the start of my divorce but I only started reading Mr Lander's book 2 years into my divorce while we were going to start the financial trial.....And it was well worth my extra time and money. I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything for my financial future. I felt that he really gave some wonderful and honest tips that all women should be aware of, and personally, I loved how he was so up front with how some soon-to-be ex-husbands can be very difficult during the divorce proceedings due to their narcissistic and manipulative behavior, which can make negotiations and settlements very difficult. I was so impressed with the book that I went the next step and made an appointment with him to ask his opinion about my situation. He was very warm and seem to really understand and know the characteristics of my soon-to-be ex (narcissistic, fraudulent and just plain vindictive, when it was him that lied, cheated and treated me like a bank account). He gave me wonderful tips to bring back to my lawyer and seemed very concerned with my situation, and kept in touch with me via email now and again. I highly recommend this book to any woman considering or going through a divorce, as he not only understands how you need to protect yourself financially, but he also knows the tricks that some husbands can play by hiding money from you, making you aware of what you should do financially, which I feel some lawyers do not understand. A must read!!
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2014
I was astounded to learn after purchasing this book that it is out of date do to major changes in NY divorce law since it was written. I tried to say this succinctly when asked by Amazon to review it but my review was rejected as too short. Obviously the favorable reviews get published even where there is reason to believe (due to their effusive and unjustified enthusiasm. I am suspicious that, like fan reviews of movies, many are done by paid hacks. l will no longer rely on Amazon given my experience.
22 comments12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2013
I love this book as it covers everything that (I can think of) is essential to cover before even going through a divorce. The only "downside" of this book is that it covers only US legislation and it's difficult (if not impossible) to "translate" its contents to other countries e.g. like sourcing a team of divorce advisers. It would help if there are some links for non-US/American readers.
on May 26, 2013
The book includes some information that could be useful but it really is repetitive and mostly very basic. It didn't give me what I needed.
on June 10, 2013
One thing to say ... I wish I had this book about a year ago. It would have helped me tremendously. As I was reading through this book, I kept saying to myself, I should have done that. Jeffrey gave very sound advice on how to make it through a divorce and come out financially ahead. It was like having a personal coach in your corner, giving you advice and encouraging you. I highly recommend this book for all women going through divorce. I give it 5 stars.
If you are considering a divorce or are already in the process this is a book that all women should read.

Where many other books have fallen short in my opinion, is that they discuss divorce from a rather impersonal and general standpoint. This book is tailored to women and written from a perspective that clarifies the entire process, but also has a special focus on the future outcome of financial health.

With so much focus on the emotional aspect of divorce, it was about time someone considered highlighting the other unpleasant and yet necessary portions of the process. The survival of the parties involved depends upon such reality being discussed and understood.

This book guides the reader step-by-step through the process of divorce and how to become independent from your former spouse. One of the things that impressed me the most about this book, is that it is broken down into easily navigated sections as well as language that anyone can understand. Each part is explained fully and it is clear that the author is knowledgeable in his chosen subject matter.

Divorce is obviously, not a fun issue to deal with, but this book covers the realities in a way that may help women to understand it is not the end of the world.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone in said situation. Very well written and informative.