Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Divorce Remedy: The Proven 7-Step Program for Saving Your Marriage
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 5, 2003
This book has a lot of the classic advice about falling out of love and what that means, how affairs are not always the end but an opportunity to reevaluate, and so on. Some of the advice is sound in terms of working on what I would consider run-of-the-mill problems: finances, lack of interest in sex, miscommunication, busy lives, misunderstandings, and so on. But not every marriage is salvagable, nor should it be. In no way does the author discuss abusive situations. Most of us know that all relationships are difficult at times, and have the opportunity to challenge us to grow and work through differences, but this woman's advice sounds like just take whatever you can get, no matter how bad, and hold on. Some people are better off separating. My parents did when I was 11 and I am now 40, and I'm grateful they did. My mother went on to become an incredible woman, and we had a better live. She married again at 60 (she is now 71) to a wonderful man, who loved her, treated her with respect, and was truly her friend in every way. They had a wonderful marriage until his death 5 years ago. My father hasn't changed in 30 years, and I'm glad we broke away. It's good to seek advice and read books to help you, but trust your gut, and never be afraid to be alone in this world for yourself or if you have children. I realize that is scary for many, but I hope that no one will stay in an abusive marriage, whether it's physical, verbal or emotional because life is too short. This is a good book on some level, but not every marriage is worth saving at any cost.
66 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2010
I bought this book and was immediately sorry. What a rip-off!

This book is written by someone who is not divorced, nor has even come close to one! The advice given is to just allow a cheating spouse all the "space" they need to carry on the most disgusting, destructive behaviors imaginable. It causes even more damage to a betrayed spouse by adding to their already battered self-esteem.

Even worse, it directs them to a forum which is nothing more than a thinly disguised advertisement for over-priced telephone "coaching sessions" and more books to buy.

This is not what a betrayed spouse needs during their marital crisis, and in fact, makes it worse by encouraging them to spend even more money than they can spare during a very trying time in their lives.

This is particularly heinous because it preys on the vulnerable who are desperate to try anything that may give them even the slightest chance to save the unsalvageable.

As you can imagine, the success rate using her "techniques" is very negligible.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend, sadly I was unimpressed. The Divorce Remedy is all about the author...it is a book specifically designed to allow the author to mention herself in as many paragraphs as she possibly can. She derides other therapists and sets herself up as some kind of messiah.
Perhaps she does have the answers but I got so sick of the narcissim that I stopped reading it.
on February 26, 2012
So, you catch your spouse cheating and you don't confront them. Michele's books and her dictatorial website are responsible for more divorces and psychological damage than I can even care to imagine. Shame on her for stifling opinion on her website. Shame on the sheep that she employs for going along with the ride.

Do yourself a favor and leave this drivel behind. The only reason it gets one star is that this system will not let me leave zero.
on September 22, 2001
Save your money and re-read "Divorce Busting". There's not much new here.
on September 22, 2001
Save your money and re-read "Divorce Busting". There's not much new here.
on June 16, 2006
I think this book ruined any small chance I had of getting back together with my ex-husband who is a beloved physician in our community. I had read the reviews on Amazon and was misled into believing the advice in this book worked. It did not and (it almost landed me in jail.)

Michele told me to never give up. Well I should have. I totally humiliated myself in front of our kids.

What happened was we were not getting along and we had not had sex in years. He moved out to get space and to think. He thought we should split to protect the kids from our fights. He wound up making male and female friends which drove me bananas. I picked up Michele's book and it all went downhill from there. And when I say downhill, I mean downhill. I went nuts.

This book made me go crazy, and in my mind every woman he knew became "OW's" or "Other Womans". I started stalking him screaming, "But you said 'til death do us part" and other idiotic stuff.

Because Michele told me to never give up unless my husband abused me, I went to the hospital and to his medical office to "talk". One time I even kicked him because he would not do what I said and admit to an affair (which I later learned he was not having.)

I went to his apartment and laid on the doorbell in the middle of the night. I called up all of his women friends and called them names. I am embarrased to admit that one time I saw my ex driving with a female and swerved into the incoming lane of traffic to block them with my car. When he was at friends' houses for get togethers, and would not return my calls, I just knocked on the door even if it was midnight and I did not know the people who lived there.

I went thru all his phone bill and started calling every number on there I did not recognize. Michele told me to fight for my marriage so I would have the peace of knowing I tried, so I dug my heels in and fought.

The list goes on and on.

Well the whole "hang on no matter what" approach backfired. My ex-husband thinks I am nuts and won't speak to me. Fortunately he was kind enough not to get a restraining order.

Now, with the passage of time, I understand that a marraige involves two people and each of us has the right to stay in it or get out of it, without being bad people.

In my place of hurt and anger, this book justified my feelings of victimization, hindered my ability to accept responsibility for part of the failure of our marriage, and inflamed my own sense of self-righteousness and denial. In short, I was led to believe I could do no wrong because I was on the righteous path of saving my marraige.

Do yourself a favor, and just get a good therapist to help you grieve when you know it is over. This books prolongs the pain and is quite destructive in the long run.

Try Albert Ellis' "Guide to Rational Living" instead. I mean it.

Good luck.
88 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse