4.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time if you're an SEC football fan
Even though I have degrees from two SEC schools and have attended games in five SEC stadiums, I wasn't sure I would like this book. I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I enjoyed his take on Southern culture. He hit the nail on the head without being offensive. I even learned some facts about SEC football that I didn't know previously.
Published on September 17, 2007 by L. L. Stallings

Published on August 10, 2009 by Joey

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth your time if you're an SEC football fan, September 17, 2007
L. L. Stallings (Acworth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixieland Delight: A Football Season on the Road in the Southeastern Conference (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars SEC fan must, August 4, 2007
This hilarious look at college football left me laughing out loud. Clay Travis manages to explore the hidden side of college football - from Bama bangs to his rating of SEC women - his experiences are highly entertaining and his book only makes me even more eager for football season to start. I can't imagine any SEC football fan (or any football fan) not loving this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supporting cast is classic, August 27, 2007
Luxe27 (New York City, New York) - See all my reviews
Dixieland Delight is a wonderful read. All at once ironic, nostalgic, reverent, and hysterical, the book highlights the multidimensional author who is Clay Travis: sportsman, politico, lover, and friend.

However, the best part of Travis' work might be his lovable sidekicks, especially his intriguing companion during the Florida/South Carolina game who we only know as "Neville." Travis' portrait of Neville -- whom we now know was described in earlier, unedited drafts by Travis as "ruggedly handsome," "brilliant," "possessing piercing brown eyes," and "deeply complex" -- leaves the reader inevitably seeking to learn more about this obviously influential figure in Travis' life.

A definite recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gospel according to SEC Football, August 10, 2007
This is it. As a lifelong VOL and SEC advocate, I was taken back to my days on the Hill and in the stands at Neyland. I actually shared those Spurrier nightmares. Still do. And, I am laying down my bicurious orange and white pompons. I am taking my son to the barber tomorrow to cut off them Bama Bangs.
Great Job! Great Read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent read for non-SEC enthusiasts. Otherwise don't waste your time, August 10, 2009
Clay offers a glimpse of what SEC football is like from a fan's perspective. There's nothing groundbreaking especially if you are already an SEC fan. He simply visits every campus, offers a few opinions about the places, throws out a few tired jokes that SEC fans have heard countless times and lets us know he went to Vandy Law School. It was boring to me, but for someone completely unfamiliar with southern college football culture, it might be somewhat entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, October 10, 2010
It's great I learned and laughed a lot. If you're an SEC fan it is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hysterical, September 25, 2007
A Reader (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Sometimes I pick up a book or CD on a whim and soon regret throwing away my money on such a ridiculous impulse buy. Other times, I'm just thankful for the impulse. I knew nothing about Clay Travis when I saw the display for this book in the store, but liked the concept of visiting each SEC stadium in a single season and took a chance.

Do not expect to have a greater understanding of SEC football or college football in general after reading this book. Do not expect sociological explanations of fandom or a quality travel guide suggesting places to stay or how to get around the cities in question. Instead, recognize that this is a personal memoir of a travelling season told by an intelligent, passionate fan who has outstanding writing skills and a wicked sense of humor. This book is in some ways the literary equivalent of "Airplane!": the jokes come so fast and furious that for every one that misses the mark, there are a few that cause you to laugh out loud and many others that bring a smile, cause a chuckle, or at least keep it interesting. Travis is pleasantly opinionated, but has plenty of friends to counter his opinions and offer alternatives. Travis could easily get misty-eyed and nostalgic multiple times, but he reserves this for a few well-placed opportunities that don't disrupt the flow of the book. The photos also deserve recognition: he brought a camera along on his trip, and shares with us pictures of the things he describes: boat shoes, the LSU python, and the soon-to-be-immortal Tim Tebow.

Minor gripes: First, his fetish for lists can get annoying. Fortunately, he tends to tack these on at the end of chapters to minimize their tendency to stall the book. Still, lists seem like an easy way to make a book...well...book-length. Second, I get the impression that much of this material was previously published in his web column on CBS. Since I never read it before (though I absolutely will now!) this didn't bother me, but I imagine if you are a regular reader much of this will be familiar.

I would not hesitate to recommend this book to a football fan, a person who is curious about football fans, people who are interested in learning more about the south, or those who enjoy humorous writings and are willing to read a book involving football. Does that cover just about everyone? If not, I'll recommend it for those people too. It'll be one of the best impulse buys you can make.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Premise But Fails to Deliever, September 27, 2011
The premise of the book is great, but as others have mentioned the author is obnoxious. It got so bad that I stopped reading about 1/3 of the way through. I will begin with the good. He does do a good job of describing the atmosphere at each of the places he goes to. Now for the bad. I am not sure if he is aware of his actions, or if he just is that obnoxious. First, he is a Vols fan, and every chapter contains some mention of the Vols. For example, when he went to Miss St. he told a story of how a group of people he met after the game were watching the Tennessee game; however, it was getting late and they began to pack up and leave. He was shocked that they would not allow him to finish watching the game. Then he goes on to describe how he runs through traffic to find bar to finish watching the game. Now what does this have to do with Miss St?

I believe his book would have been a massive success similar to "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" if he left out the Tennessee material.

5.0 out of 5 stars College football fans must read this book, August 12, 2007
Being a new transplant to the South, I was informed by coworkers that I should read this book in order to better understand the passion that Southerners have for college football. Travis beautifully illustrates rich traditions in the SEC (nothing stands out more to me than Auburn students writing their names in excrement on bathroom walls the day before they graduate), and the importance of tailgating. Upon the completion of this book I cannot wait for the season to kickoff!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book for any college football fan, November 6, 2007
Clay Travis lives the dream of every SEC football fan--visiting every stadium in the best college football conference in the country in one season. In his quest, Travis has a few guidelines--he'll get his ticket on game day, he'll embrace at least one aspect of the home team's tradition and he'll never root for the Florida Gators.

Travis is a big University of Tennessee fan and his bias shows up time and again, esp. in his ribbing of overrated Florida quarterback Tim Teabow. As a fellow UT fan, all I can say is that these parts of the book are brilliant. If you're a Florida fan, you might disagree.

The trek across the southeast if told week by week by a fan of college football. It's as close to getting to each stadium as you can get without actually buying a ticket. And Travis does a great job of conveying what makes each stadium and game-day expereince special. In between each chapter, he includes a look at some aspect of SEC football life, including a piece on the demise of JP's game broadasts, a look at Bama Bangs and rating which school has the best-looking female fans.

It's not scientific, it's not meant to be a definitive look. It's meant to be a fun look at the best college football conference and fans in the country. In this, Travis succeeds brilliantly. I've not had this much fun reading a book in a long time.

Dixieland Delight: A Football Season on the Road in the Southeastern Conference