Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 17, 2007
Even though I have degrees from two SEC schools and have attended games in five SEC stadiums, I wasn't sure I would like this book. I've enjoyed it thoroughly. I enjoyed his take on Southern culture. He hit the nail on the head without being offensive. I even learned some facts about SEC football that I didn't know previously.
on August 4, 2007
This hilarious look at college football left me laughing out loud. Clay Travis manages to explore the hidden side of college football - from Bama bangs to his rating of SEC women - his experiences are highly entertaining and his book only makes me even more eager for football season to start. I can't imagine any SEC football fan (or any football fan) not loving this book.
on October 27, 2014
I love what the author did and it is well written. Other than the barbs he throws at opponents and the constant SEC chanting, it's a really fun book. SEC chest thumping gets really tiresome and I also live in the South.
on March 17, 2016
If you are a fan of the SEC or football in general, get this book! Clay Travis is an amazing writer and captures great moments in this book Dixieland Delight. I would highly recommend this book to anyone!
on March 9, 2015
I am not a clay Travis column fan; I think he reads a little petulant and his fervent attacks of FSU's Jameis Winston failed to tell both sides of that story. Still, as a southerner who loves college football, I loved this book. I think I would have given it one fewer star without the seamless blending in of his grandfather's story. But that added a very meaningful if brief portion.
I would also suggest Rose Bowl Dreams. That is a very fine book indeed.
on August 10, 2007
This is it. As a lifelong VOL and SEC advocate, I was taken back to my days on the Hill and in the stands at Neyland. I actually shared those Spurrier nightmares. Still do. And, I am laying down my bicurious orange and white pompons. I am taking my son to the barber tomorrow to cut off them Bama Bangs.
Great Job! Great Read!
on August 11, 2011
As an avid football fan and graduate of an SEC school I enjoyed this book. Clay Travis is a pretty funny guy and does a great job telling the stories of his travels across the different campuses and his game day experiences at each. He's also a lawyer and married an NFL cheerleader. If you didn't already know that, don't worry because he'll always remind you.
on August 10, 2009
Clay offers a glimpse of what SEC football is like from a fan's perspective. There's nothing groundbreaking especially if you are already an SEC fan. He simply visits every campus, offers a few opinions about the places, throws out a few tired jokes that SEC fans have heard countless times and lets us know he went to Vandy Law School. It was boring to me, but for someone completely unfamiliar with southern college football culture, it might be somewhat entertaining.
on October 7, 2015
In 2006, Clay Travis embarked upon what many would consider a holy pilgrimage, seeking to visit 12 cathedrals of sport scattered throughout the southeastern United States. Beginning in Knoxville, Travis’ pilgrimage wound from Rocky Top to the Ozarks, braving a Swamp, Death Valley and Tuscaloosa – which is still, all these years later, Bear country.

Christened the “Dixieland Delight Tour” or “DDT” – the latter an homage to a professional wrestler the author admired as a boy – Travis set out to attend a football game at each of the 12 Southeastern Conference schools. Eschewing the comforts of press credentials and VIP treatment, Travis arrived at each school ticketless (a lamb before the scalpers) with the intent to fully immerse himself in the tailgates, traditions and sometimes terrible seats of the average fan.

The book’s strength throughout is that it’s obviously written by a fan. As a lifelong Tennessee Volunteer, Travis recalls a cherished early childhood memory of huddling around a television to watch a game with his grandfather – in stark defiance of doctor’s orders for the elder Travis to avoid the stresses inherent in such passionate fandom. Allegiances aside, he approaches each school with an impressive degree of journalistic integrity and the reader is given a front row seat to observe the rich traditions and impressive pageantry of game day. Travis writes of SEC football like WP Kinsella wrote of baseball: the sights, sounds and smells are almost palpable. From the post-Civil War martyrdom of Auburn’s eponymous War Eagle to the catharsis of 100,000 fans screaming along to a Jumbotron hype video, some of the traditions are described in a way that reaches off the page and teases forth goosebumps.

This is not to suggest the book is one saccharine tale after another. Peppered throughout this love song to the SEC are withering polemics against rival teams and their fans – masterful examples in the finest tradition of football trash talking. Travis devotes multiple pages to a widespread hypothesis that all LSU fans smell like corndogs. The prevalence of blue jean shorts (“jorts”) among Florida fashionistas is revisited throughout his time in Gainesville, and the proliferation of “Bama Bangs” among the males of Tuscaloosa receives a graduate-level anthropological analysis that borders on divine. His visit to Mississippi State nearly derailed the book when he met an alum, debunking his oft-visited allegation that no one has ever actually graduated from the institution.

Dixieland Delight will be enjoyable for a casual football fan and perhaps even informative for those skeptics outside the conference who look (with varying degrees of derision) upon the fanaticism that surrounds the game as we play it. Should you trace your roots to that part of our country where Saturdays in the Fall are holy days – it’s almost required reading.
on March 13, 2014
The book was very well written and Clay is and has always been very funny in his analysis of the serious and the mundane. I would give him a 5th star if he weren't a g@y muslim that uses the word you're incorrectly, everyone knows it's your.