4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the ticket, take the ride...
Published on March 12, 2012 by J. Hubner

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
I will listen to this album again but it fails to be one of my favorites. It is worth listening to
Published 16 months ago by W.Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the ticket, take the ride..., March 12, 2012
This review is from: Django Django (Audio CD)
Django Django are a british quartet that met in Edinburgh, Scotland while in art school. And from the sound of their self-titled debut they don't pull their influences from the usual bag of musical inspiration. The Beatles? Nah. Nirvana? No way. Try putting a genre on these guys. I dare you. There's no shoegaze, grunge, garage rock, 90s alternative, chillwave or math rock. These lads defy a label. Throw some names around like Syd Barrett, Animal Collective, The Beta Band and even Devo and possibly, just possibly, you might be on the right track.

The album opener is a short little instrumental that comes in like Tangram- era Tangerine Dream, which then leads us into `Hail Bop'. A nice slice of 60s psychedelic that would've fit nicely somewhere on Piper at the Gates of Dawn. If Pink Floyd doesn't butter your toast, relax. We're just getting started. `Default' comes in like a storm. Continuing on with the 60s psych flavor, a nice groovy retro guitar is added to the mix. With robot bleeps and blips this track has a real spacey, futuristic vibe. And thanks to the Devo-esque kinetic drums you'll want to hop out of your comfy spot on the couch and dance like it's 1981. At one point on the track `Skies Over Cairo' you'd swear someone was playing the desert level on Super Mario Bros. `Zumm Zumm' is like a b-side off of Merriweather Post Pavillion. It's like `Lion In A Coma' through a funhouse mirror. On several occasions throughout this kinetic, futuristic and funky-in-a-Devo-way album, Django Django seem to be carrying the torch that Animal Collective began running with on Merriweather. These are pop sensibilities run through a confectioners oven, sprinkled with sugar and hallucinogenics. Anxious rhythms, pulsating synths and pop harmonies somwhere between Syd Barrett-era Floyd, Ride and a barbershop quartet on ether.

The sound of this record has a real `sat in the attic for years' kind of vibe. There's a real analog warmth to the synths. As if Kraftwerk lent out their Trans Europe Express-era moogs to these blokes for the weekend. I know there's plug-ins for that kind of aged, buzzy analog tape vibe. But I like to think Django Django recorded this robot love making soundtrack in a dank, dark, and mildewed studio with a 30 year old 8-track reel-to-reel running, and a drunk, 63 year old sound engineer named Simon running the board. Splicing takes together like Macero and Miles did with Bitches Brew nearly 40 years ago. A studio much like Muscle Shoals, except located on the Isle Of Wight, instead of the Crimson Tide.

Django Django has given us an album of dance music for the living room booty shakers. This is psychedelic music for the non-medicated. This is inspirational music for the carpoolers, full-timers and those just hanging out. We have been initiated. Now prepare to be blown away. No magic mushrooms required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Psychedelic with Electronic Elements, March 2, 2012
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
I'll start this review by saying that I grew up in the 80's so my views on new music are much different from what is now called indie rock, pop, or whatever. In a sea of mediocre artists I stumbled upon Django Django. Amazon has this listed in the following genres: Alternative Rock and Dance/DJ. It is not dance music in the club sense. It is psychedelic 60's with some modern elements.

I really like this album. I think it is time that bands start incorporating their own sound and style. Django has done that with this release so I'm not going to say it sounds like....

They have their own style. I recommend this especially for those that do like 1960's psychedelic rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Django Django, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
Rare is it to find and album so listenable from start to finish. A band name who you like to pass around in hopes that others might find its magic... and yet still not become too popular to leave you behind. Golden stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Different, May 22, 2013
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
I don't normally review music, but this album was a refreshing break from most of what I've been listening to.

I'm not sure how I'd describe Django Django, but some words I might use are: Dissonance and Harmony, psychedelic, up-beat, relaxed...

They have an electronic vibe that I can not put my finger on, but has a worldly and somewhat 60's feel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rad, May 16, 2013
Jacob Hunt "Junco Bath" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Django Django (Vinyl)
This has several stellar tracks. Gets a little dull and monotonous here and there, but great artsy indie rock. Gives me a Talking Heads kind of feeling, tho the vocals are quite different (chant-like, harmonized) and the guitar is not featured very prominently. Oftentimes dreamy and hypnotic. Lots of nice grooves.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoy this album, March 5, 2013
pablo_picasso "pablo_picasso" (Camarillo, ca - United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
Heard the song "Default" on the radio, and really enjoyed it. Decided to get the whole album, and I am really happy with it. A great surprise enjoyment for the entire album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Variety, March 2, 2013
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
Inventive, lighthearted, if odd, pop, with great harmonies. Yeah, the singer sounds kind of like a robot, but they manage to somehow nail all of those harmonies anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great album, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
I heard the track " Default" on the radio while on a business trip and it just sort of stuck with me. I looked these guys up and picked up their album. I must say, it does not disappoint. It so catchy and delightfully odd. It's like nothing else I listen to, and I enjoy it very much. Definitely check it out!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic sounds like the late 60's, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
Interesting harmonies and rhythms are found in every song. The lyrics are clever and well written.
It's folk and funk with a touch late 60's vocal harmonies thrown in like old Pink Floyd Syd Barrett days. I love this album play it all the time. Get it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars They got it, February 23, 2013
rsf (Northern CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Django Django (MP3 Music)
Melodic songs that entertain and blend electronic sound structures and catchy beats. And all of it wrapped in smart lyrics, it's an instant winner.

Django Django