Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Do to the Beast
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 15, 2014
You know who they are. They are back. This has all the classic Dulli moments and more that you're used to from previous albums. The choruses all have that perfect buildup and climax. Can I even choose a favorite song? No, but Can Rova is beautiful, and the percussion on I Am Fire is amazing. The various bits of keys and strings throughout the album add awesome atmosphere.
on April 22, 2014
Every track on this penetrating pulp avalanche of thunderous and tender R&B, funk, and power rock balladry exhausted my capacity for indebtedness. It is a heartrending extravaganza that alternates between torture and enrapture. The hooks run you over as relentlessly as they do effortlessly. It ALL rides on vistas drenched in ingeniously gripping bass-drum arrangements and beats (way out front in the mix) that, in and of themselves, are enough to make you cry with joy. If they do not, Mr. Dulli's lyrical testimonials coupled with his ever re-modulating and impassioned vocal delivery WILL make your eyes well up with tears as Ingrid Bergman's did in 'Casablanca' for entirely other reasons. It took me at least four songs to regain my composure from 'It Kill's' refrains', "Over and over I get to know myself/Over and over there ain't nobody else...It kills to watch you love another/I should have known better than to cut you out/ You were incredible". I should add that the fourth song from 'It Kills' is the lushly sentimental acoustic 'Can Rova'. Yeah, that really didn't help the situation much. Who am I kidding, I am still an emotional mess from internalizing 'It Kill's' conflation of persecutory second-guessing with affirmation.

Curtly dismiss 'Do To The Beast' as just another ordinaryly fashionable "reunion" project if that services your disdain for being middle age. I get it, some people like to play defense. I will more constructively take this LP as a spectacular validation of the how things CAN get better with age. Damn, these songs makes me feel alive!
on April 17, 2014
This is definitely an Afghan Whigs album. It may seem like I'm pointing out the obvious, but other reviewers have said that it sounds more like Greg Dulli's side projects. It does sound like them in the way that Eric Clapton sounds like Cream. Dulli is the Afghan Whigs. I disagree with anyone that it is lacking because McCollum is gone. Dulli wrote most of their songs by himself.
Anyway, I think many people will be upset with this album mostly because it sounds nothing like 1965. Overall, it is closer to Congregation than 1965. It has the unmistakable guitar riffs of early Whigs.
My only complaint is that Dulli's vocals are buried in the mix. I know that they have always somewhat been in the background, but I feel like it is a little too much here.
Buy it if you're a fan. Buy Gentleman, Black Love or 1965 if you're curious.
on April 21, 2014
This album melts my mind just a little more with each listen. It's somewhere between old-school Whigs soulfulness and Twilight Singers melancholy rock. This is currently atop my list of 2014 releases. Dulli is in great voice here and though the lineup is a little different, the punch to the gut is certainly not lacking. The songwriting is incredibly solid and boasts some of the best lines ever.
on December 6, 2014
As a long time Afghan Whigs fan, I was hesitant to buy this. It's hard to leave the days of Gentlemen and Black Love and move into a new phase. How could the band possibly be as passionate and dark again? Turns out I was wrong. This disc stands with the best of them (I'd put it 4th after Gentleman, Black Love, and Congregation). If you are a Whigs fan, you will not be disappointed. (And I should also mention that they are at the top of their game live as well. See them soon.)
on October 25, 2014
I've been listening to the Afghan Whigs since 1992 when I first heard the song "Retarded." This is a band with incredible depth, and Do to the Beast is a strong contender in their discography. The album is filled with everything that makes this band great.

The album is a great mix of raw power (Parked Outside, Matamoros, Royal Cream) and beautiful melodies (It Kills, Can Rova). The first seconds of "Parked Outside" send the message that you are in for a wild ride, and the album does not let go until the final moment of "These Sticks." This is truly an album at its finest: each song is great, but the whole is even greater than the parts. The songs run together seamlessly, and the album is a perfect balance of hard rockers and slow tempo masterpieces.

It's hard to pick a highlight on such a great album, but "Royal Cream" leading into "I Am Fire" is easily one of the best transitions in rock 'n' roll history. "Royal Cream" might just be the best rock song of the year, and the way it blends into the pounding percussion of "I Am Fire" is divine.

Greg Dulli's voice has not lost any power over the years. He can still bring it, whether we are talking about the ferocious vocals on "Parked Outside" or the sweet crooning on "Can Rova." Do to the Beast proves that Dulli is still one of the best musicians out there.

Part of me wishes the album had been longer, mostly because we had to wait so long for it. But when everything is said and done, this really is the perfect length. Do to the Beast has such incredible continuity that you just couldn't fit another song anywhere.

Greg Dulli, please don't make us wait 17 years again.

Note: If you are a fan of vinyl, there were some problems with the original Sub Pop loser edition on white vinyl. If you are looking to purchase the white vinyl, be sure you are buying a copy that received a replacement copy of disc 2 from Sub Pop.
on April 17, 2014
I always liked 1965 the best, and I think your feeling for this album will depend on which of the earlier Whigs albums rocked your boat. And feeling really is the key. Maybe I'm more rock 'n roll now than I was when Black Love first slithered its way into my ears, but straight up I think this is a fantastic record. Ultimately comparisons are wearisome, as if a new album is drawn from the preserved amber of some earlier perfection. Whatever, I don't buy it.

Parked Outside is the rockingest opening to an album I've heard in a while. It reminds me a bit of Audioslave's pumped up Zep crunch on Cochise. But just when you're getting used to the sleazy grind, Matamoros scurries in all nervy and jangly with the unmistakable funk of Somethin' Hot and you're back in the Whigs happy place of rock 'n soul. Greg Dulli is on top form lyrically: every song is loaded with a catalogue or noir-ish come-ons, rejections, and switchblade cautions.

That's what makes this album great. Each new track reminds you of what is so feverishly scratchy about the Whigs and yet no song feels like a retread or an old idea rehydrated to feed nostalgia hype. And Algiers is the most beautiful song of 2014 so far.
on May 9, 2014
Legendary Ohio rockers return with their 8th album and the first in 15 years—There is a diversity
of style here that encompasses hard-edged, evolving bluesy grunge-grunt numbers, some gently
frenetic & peculiar mid-tempo rhythmic rockers and a few soulful & soaring, orchestrated ballads
characterized by the raspy emotional intensity of Greg Dulli’s voice. The band seems to be at
their best when they start from a place of controlled melody and slowly explode as Dulli’s vocals
wrap themselves around the coils of your heart. Members & contributors have played in the
Twilight Singers, the Gutter Twins, Chavez, Emeralds, Queens of the Stone Age, the Raconteurs,
Squirrel Bait. Recalls acts like the Mark Lanegan Band, Band of Skulls, Mudhoney, American
Music Club, Soul Asylum. “Do To the Beast” is a solid album that feels like it could be a slow
grower.
on May 26, 2014
Good - - how can new Afghan Whigs music be anything but? Since the album Gentleman, I've followed every release including the Dulli projects The Twilight Singers and The Gutter Twins. I've traveled up to 4 hours to see the concerts. This release is different in that it does depart from the 'old' Whigs sound - admittedly a disappointment to a guy really looking forward to new songs with the old sound. But the songs are good. Algiers is perhaps the standout here, and others are also very good. But some are just ok - and that's coming from a fan who ranks these guys in my top 3 bands of all time.
I'm glad to own the album and will travel to see them on tour at least once this year. So from that perspectve, this album is good. It's not great in my estimation.
on January 1, 2015
The Afghan Whigs had nothing to prove, they released some great albums and made music that meshed with the conflicted emotions we all have. Then this happened and it is wonderful. Well... often conflicted and melancholy, but joy to my ears none the less.