Ye, though we walked in the valley of the shadow of death which was Network TV's obsession with "reality" TV, we feared no evil, for we knew that the sitcom would rise again, and it did!

Published on June 12, 2009 by R. McAdams

3.0 out of 5 stars A series in decline? Not so fast!
Much like Season 3, Season 4 of How I Met Your Mother was strongly affected by outside influences. For Season 3, the writers' strike interrupted the flow at very nearly the halfway point of the season, and most the rest of the episodes felt rushed and incomplete.

Season 4 was similarly affected by the pregnancies of stars Cobie Smulders (Robin) and Alyson...
Published on October 1, 2009 by Desired FX

5.0 out of 5 stars How I Met Your Mother restored our faith in network TV and the sitcom, June 12, 2009

My wife and I basically boycotted network TV entirely when the "reality" TV craze swept the airwaves following the success of the "Survivor" show. We had no interest in "CSI" shows, or crime drama shows, or marriage shows, or any of the other insane drivel which came out of the "reality" TV craze. When CBS launched How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) and we caught wind of it, we were immediately floored by the quality of the writing, and the excellent cast of actors they got for the show, now entering its fifth season.

HIMYM is an excellent successor to Friends. It is the same type of ensemble cast with romance and heartbreak and drama. But what overrides all of it, is comedy. The show is extremely funny, and packs each episode with tons of humor. Neil Patrick Harris steals the show with his antics, and he is to be commended for his performance of the excellent material the writing team give him to work with.

We will watch HIMYM for as long as it is on the air, and we hope that is a very long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars HIMYM is back, July 8, 2009
Season 4 was a great addition to the series. If you are not a fan of the show I would recommend watching all previous episodes before this season because the writers have taken this show to a level past the sitcom. They place high value on character development and the story line just keeps getting better and better. I honestly don't even care who the mother is anymore, I just care about Ted, Marshall, Barney, Robin and Lily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Season...Best Sitcom on TV, June 15, 2009
Season 4 of HIMYM took TV sitcom creativity to a new level. The introduction of new scenes (Minn. bar) was truly brilliant. There is no other sitcom on television that has as much comedic diversity and creativity as this show. This season really brought this series to the elite of television sitcoms. I hope it continues for years to come...

5.0 out of 5 stars How I Met Your Mother is one of the best sitcoms on today, January 24, 2010
How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM), and particularly the 4th season, meets the highest standards of television sitcoms. The writing is consistently excellent; the individual episode plots are always funny and engaging, and the overarching story, (just who is the mother?), doesn't fall by the wayside or become boring.

In addition, the acting, unlike on many shows today, is always strong. This is truly an ensemble cast; there are no "weak links". All of the actors have talent, they have chemistry as a group, and they make you root for the characters they're portarying. You want Marshall and Lily to continue on their road to happily ever after, you cheer for Robin's career successes (and laugh at her mishaps), you root for Barney to get the girls although you may occasionally gag at the same time, and you hope Ted eventually meet the love of his life. Above all, it's always a fun and relaxing half-hour to sit down and find out what's going on in their lives today.

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly enjoyable and delightful series, December 26, 2009
Every winter during the holiday hiatus when there are no new episodes being broadcast of any of my shows, I always try to knock off two or three shows that I've not seen but have had some curiosity about. Now, I detest sitcoms. Hate, hate, hate! I loathe laugh tracks. I consider them toxic and vile and completely destructive. And in most cases I hate how stilted the sets are and how unimaginative the camera work is (no sitcom in the history of TV has had interesting camerawork, and I say that even though Karl Freund, one of the great geniuses in the history of cinematography, directed many episodes of I LOVE LUCY). I watch a lot of TV, but I avoid sitcoms like I avoid infectious diseases. I love comedy, mind you. I love 30 ROCK, PARTY DOWN, THE OFFICE, and MODERN FAMILY, all of them comedies and none of them sitcoms, and all among my favorite shows.

So why did I try HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER? Mainly it was because I'd seen a number of TV critics who stated that it was a good show despite being a sitcom. Part of it was Alyson Hannigan. BUFFY is my all time favorite show and if you love BUFFY you love Willow. Interestingly, I don't know a single person who watches the show (at least to my knowledge) and I pretty much decided to give it a shot despite the whole sitcom thing. Surprisingly, I liked it. A lot. Not as much as 30 ROCK and PARTY DOWN and THE OFFICE and definitely not MODERN FAMILY (which might be the best new comedy since ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT), but it was still quite good, with an enormously likable small group of characters. The laugh track is indeed irritating and, of course, completely unnecessary. And what is more, it isn't a pure sitcom. It does a surprising amount out-of-the-studio shooting (though on what anyone who is a serious fan of TV will recognize as the Warner Brothers urban lot, which has been used in hundreds of movies and TV series). The street shots are on the precise same sets that were used for Metropolis in THE ADVENTURES OF LOIS AND CLARK and New Haven in THE GILMORE GIRLS and the area around the Pie Hole in PUSHING DAISIES. Plus there are a surprising number of green screen shots. So the show avoids the static feel that most three camera sitcoms have. It isn't visually interesting, though it is less bland than, say, TWO AND A HALF MEN. There are all kinds of ways that the show breaks established rules in minor ways.

Despite the somewhat static visual dimension of the show and the nauseating laugh track, this is a pretty decent show and now that I'm caught up all the way through the first half of Season Five, I fully plan on continuing to watch in the future. The two things that make the show work for me are the cast and the writing, which despite the well traveled genre. I like that the cast consists of two unknowns (Josh Radnor and Cobie Smulders)at least at the start) to go with three well known actors (Hannigan, Neil Patrick Harris, and Jason Segal). I love all five characters and they are all sensational individually but also tremendous as an ensemble. And the writers manage to keep their stories interesting and ever new by a string of fascinating developments. I am especially impressed by Neil Patrick Harris, who probably had his career set back by a decade by his Doogie Howser days. (Which reminds me that another reason I took up the show was because of how much I enjoyed Harris in the title role of DR. HORRIBLE.)

I'm still not a big fan of sitcoms and I doubt if I'll be adding many to my viewing roster in the future, but this is the big exception. I think the show would have been greatly improved if they had tweaked it only slightly. I know they have tied the show to stage sets to keep the budget down. And the format means that the lack of visual experimentation means short set ups and keeps costs down. The point is, I detest the genre, but I still like HIMYM. Which I think speaks volumes for the quality of the show.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sit Com, Perfect for Fun Romantic Entertainment, October 6, 2009
HIMYM is not so much an original sitcom, but instead more of the perfection of the sitcom. Every once in awhile I feel I've seen a similar episode of friends or will & grace. But I can't deny how much fun the show is to watch. I love all of the characters, and enjoy watching their various adventures. This season had some great stand outs like the news years eve episode where they take three (3) separate stories and find a way to intertwine them, the "intervention" episode, where they had an intervention because they had too many interventions, and of course my personal fav Barney's family (when you see it, you'll understand.)

Sure, the show may not be the most original, but it sure is fun. And frankly, not every show has to be the Wire to be great. I highly recommend this show, and can't wait for season 5!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great season from my favorite TV show, July 5, 2009
J. Baird (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
How I Met Your Mother is not your typical TV show. The writing is smart and funny, and the acting is superb-- however, beyond this, the most exciting part of the show is it's preface. I know in the first few episodes it is hard to understand or get into, but when clues start being revealed, such as the yellow umbrella, it is a joy to follow. The fourth season sees Ted in a serious relationship, and more fun and laughs with the group than you can imagine. New clues are discovered, and the narration is fantastic, all the way up to the season's finale, which is my favorite episode of the show to date. If you are a fan of the show, or looking for something good to watch, look no further. I absolutely guarantee that if you give it a chance, you will love this show. I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time on Blu-ray and still on a very high level!, October 11, 2009
The show still keeps the high level of the first 3 seasons, so if you liked them you will not be disapointed. The Blu-ray looks good but not perfect. The picture could be more detailed and some scenes especially those in the McLaren's are quiet dark and on a low contrast level, but still a big leap from the DVD.
btw.: the BR is region free!
5 stars for the show and 4 for the presentation!

5.0 out of 5 stars it keeps going, June 10, 2013
as a HIMYM fan, had to have this season with my collection. contains all the episodes with plenty of extras to keep you busy for awhile as you get to know and relive your favorite memories with the cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still great..., November 13, 2009
J. Feldman (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
I was late to the HIMYM party, but am glad I relented and started watching it. The 4th season may not be my favorite, that would have to be the 3rd, but it was strong throughout. My personal favorite was the "Naked Man" episode. Great fun - buy it, you won't be disappointed.