5.0 out of 5 stars Veteran, Talented Blues-Rock Musicians
The North Mississippi Allstars are veteran musicians who play standards and originals with imagination and energy. This CD offers a generous selection of tracks recorded at the band's many live performances over a ten-year period.

Published on February 16, 2009 by Art and Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
They sounded good in concert and this is a two-CD live set. If you like the repetitive, (boring) Mississippi Delta blues (ala Muddy Waters) stuff. (Da-dum-da-dum. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat). Great slide guitar solos by Luther Dickinson are worth a listen. Music is just not for me. Really bad vocals on several of the songs.
Published 25 days ago by Randall P. Melville

5.0 out of 5 stars Veteran, Talented Blues-Rock Musicians, February 16, 2009
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)

This band is tight and well-rehearsed, and its members have a good ear for authentic Mississippi roots blues music. In fact, they highly skilled at playing electric urban blues music convincingly. But overall, the group leans a bit more in the blues-rock direction and thus might be classified as a Southern Rock blues band.

The foundation of any song is rhythm, and more specifically the division of the beat. To give an example of how the Southern rock influence often guides the All Stars' approach to a song, the traditional shuffle blues "Someday Baby" is interpreted here in straight-eight time, the cornerstone rock rhythm.

The All Stars' rhythm section handles the standard variety of rhythms, including blues shuffles ("61 Highway"), straight-eight time ("Freedom Highway"), and sixteenth-note based rhythms ("Got My Mojo Working"), with taste and ease.

The influence of Billy Gibbons, Johnny Winter, Jimmy Vaughan and others can be heard in the solos (but that is not to say the fine solos aren't original). And the Lowebow cigar box guitar is a real pleasure to hear.

This would be a good CD for any fan of rock music, rock blues, or Southern rock. Even some electric urban-blues traditionalists might be quite pleased listening to this excellent group. There is a generous amount of good material here-not a bad song in the batch-and the price is a bargain.

Congratulations to the North Mississippi Allstars for their considerable talent and longstanding dedication to playing with verve and originality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luther is a guitar GOD!, March 6, 2009
Baberufus (West Jordan, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
This is an INDISPENSABLE album for all NMA fans!! It's not just some boring, run of the mill outtakes and bootleg-quality live recordings, it's all STELLAR-sounding live NMA at their best! And a DVD documenting their history to boot! A true treasure for all blues-rock fans!!

Luther Dickinson is one of the top guitarists on the scene today! Most guitar fans would probably say the same after listening to their previously recorded albums, but after listening to this one, it leaves all doubts out the window...fantastic guitar playing. Of course, Cody and Chris are rock solid as ever, but Luther really shines on this CD. He whips out some Hendrix stuff that is absolutely jaw dropping--you will swear you're listening to Hendrix himself--but at the same time he adds his own little touches. Luther already has a very distinctive style of his own on the guitar--he just salutes Hendrix on the side every once in a while on record--but man, can he play it!! On Disc 2 he just kills on "Hear My Train A Comin", but on Disc 1, he actually Hendrixizes on one of the standard R.L. Burnside cuts--that REALLY blew me away...

The NMA are a band that rivals ANYBODY else on the blues/rock/jam scene today, but they are very down to earth and appreciative of their fans at the same time, always willing to stick around and chat with lingering fans and shake hands with anybody--none of that rock star "meet and greet but only if you have a ticket" crap. I went to one of their shows at a local club a couple of months ago, and it just felt like a big party with your buddies in a band up there playing for you. Only in this instance the band is one of the best out there today! This 3-disc set is a deal you can't pass up!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Allstar Roots, January 28, 2009
Bill (Washington - State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
This is a must have for any fan of the North Mississippi Allstars. The documentary DVD that accompanies the two CD set is excellent. A good insight into the band and what make these guys tick. The music is top notch as well with something from just about every previous album plus some nice covers. Including the DVD, you get three discs worth of great music, this is good deal - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This may sound crazy but..., June 13, 2012
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
This may sound crazy but I have known about the NMA for more than 10 years and yet only found out about the family history with R L Burnside. I was first introduced to this band back in 2000 after a friend saw them in concert and said I had to hear their album (Shake Hands with Shorty). I was really big into the whole jam band scene back in those days and loved the free form improv mixed with the good old southern rock. It wasn't until last year that I started exploring into the legends of southern blues and seeking out the musical history that I came across a man named R.L. Burnside. I instantly fell in love with his grungy, driving rythems and improvisational skills I had often enjoyed about such bands as Widespread Panic. Well long story short after I figured out quickly this legend was no less than the grandfather who raised Cedric Burnside of NMA. WHICH is what brings me to why I bought and love this album so frikin much!

Before his death in 2005, R.L. spent the last few years of his life often touring with his grandson, and this album highlights some of their best performances together. All I can say is that the Po Black Maddie, Skinny Woman, Po Black Maddie reprise are just unstoppable! They highlight everything that is great about North Mississippi All stars and R.L. Burnside. If your a fan of either, or both as I am, this album is a must.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, November 22, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Luther rules, October 10, 2013
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
This is one of the best records I have heard, or purchased in the last few years. You gotta get this. I bow to the altar of the NMA

4.0 out of 5 stars Mississippi blues rock, November 19, 2014
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
Luther and the boys are great to listen to. Always like to hear different styles of the blues and these guys hit the nail on the head.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, September 6, 2009
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
Another strong set from the NMAS boys. A good example of their blues-driven live act. Enjoy the CD, but do yourself a favor. Go see them when they come around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, September 17, 2014
Pretty good CD overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars North Mississippi Allstars, July 14, 2009
This review is from: Do It Like We Used To Do (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of NMA but I have to say I was a bit dissapointed in this cd. It just seemed "flat". It did not have the energy of some of their stuff. Probably would not reccomend it.

Do It Like We Used To Do
Do It Like We Used To Do by North Mississippi Allstars (Audio CD - 2009)