Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

I read a lot of books. After finishing, some are donated to the local library, a larger number gain a place on my bookshelf and a very select few I keep on my desk because I know I will want those books handy for future reference. Do It! Marketing by David Newman stays on my desk.

This book is full of wonderful marketing lessons - 77 powerful and actionable ideas. And then there is a 21 day marketing launch plan that takes you step by step through the process of developing and launching a marketing plan tailored just for you and your business. And what's in the book is supplemented by a significant amount of additional information available online.

Mr. Newman's writing style of full of energy. You feel like he is sitting across the desk talking directly to you. He writes in a very breezy and at times humorous style. In addition, you will find a number of guest articles scattered throughout the book. The book is a fun and enjoyable read. But the lessons are very serious and if you implement just a fraction of what is taught in this book, it will make a real difference in your business.

The information is based on Mr. Newman's years of hands on experience. Some of the ideas and tips are counterintuitive, but you need to approach all of them with an open mind. Under Tip # 73, Move Up, he suggests doubling your price. His advice is "Be expensive or be free." Unfortunately, most people who start out in business think they can compete on low price. As he astutely points out, "Businesses that compete on price lose. Period." "Price doesn't find clients. Value finds clients."

Here are a couple of other very important tips from the book.
Quit overselling. Don't push your product/service. "Content comes before commerce. Offer solutions, answers, strategies, templates, tools , and ideas - not sales messages." "The new reality is: First you earn their attention. Then you earn their money."

This one is counter to what all sales people have been taught - "Stop wasting your time following up". The point is if you are speaking to the right prospect - one who has the need, wants and is capable of buying a solution, you will not need to constantly follow up. An excellent idea/lesson.

Focus on Strategy, not tactics. Far too many people are seeking the latest bright shinning object that will do the marketing for them. They are seeking a tactic, not using a strategy to build sales. " ...tactical business owners tend to be scattered." Most business owners will save themselves a lot of time, money and energy by following this idea.

This is really a super book for any business wanting to improve their marketing and sales. Of course the greatest value will come from implementing the ideas and the 21 Day Marketing Launch Plan. These concepts are simple but not simplistic. And as Mr. Newman points out numerous times, they are not necessarily easy - they require work. But you will have a real jump start by following the ideas in this book. You will be working on what really works.

I was provided a review copy of this book.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2013
I bought this book expecting some great specific ideas that would potentially help my small business. Judging by reviews, this book looked like a real winner. Wow, I'm simply floored that this extremely general and rarely specific book got a 5-star average.
In spots, the book felt like it was designed to help those simply THINKING about starting a business. I also didn't find the book to be particularly organized as some reviewers did. It had a scattershot feel throughout and I got zero from it.
I'm finding more difficult to trust Amazon reviews as this book simply had very little bankable substance. The 77 ideas weren't typically even ideas....just random thoughts in my opinion.
When I think of an idea...I'm thinking about a specific action that was taken to advance the ball of my business. I'm not trying to undercut the author at all, but if your looking for real ideas that can potentially work for your business? This book doesn't have them. I'm trying to think of even ONE original idea...and I can't do it.
1111 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2014
I guess I am one of the few that does not think highly of this book. I find many of the 77 ideas are too vague to take actions with. The brevity of each idea is one problem: the author barely describes the idea and leaves it at that. Another problem is the lack of examples that could illustrate the ideas.

A central marketing idea in this book assumes existing clients, which is an assumption that does not to all; and the author did not even mention that possibility.

I am not fond of books with many brief ideas; I prefers books with fewer major points and explain them thoroughly. I saw the high rating on this book and bought it.

The 21-day guide at the end of book is helpful, though the marketing strategies are mostly public speaking and online presence. There should be days spent in developing marketing materials and approaches to prospects.
on June 12, 2013
After I received the book I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two evenings. I found all of the information useful. He is very entertaining as well. For a business book he made it interesting. I would recommend this book to any business owner, new or experienced. Well worth the time to read. I've now decided to start reading his blog.
on June 6, 2013
I just got the book Do It Marketing and with over 40 yrs of experience in marketing and sales this is on of the greatest books I have ever read. If you truly want to explode your business make this a must read. Remember, a pro is never out of school.
on June 10, 2013
If I had only had this book 32 years ago when I went into business for myself I would have been much more successful. I'm guilty of every mistake David mentions, plus a few he hasn't thought of. If you think your products or services are all about you, that is your first mistake. It's all about your customer or client, and that is a point that most of us seem to miss when we're trying to hype our wares in the service of feeding our faces and paying our bills. This is a kick-ass book that should be read by every entrepreneur and even every employed individual, because even when you're working for someone else, it's not what they can do for you that matters, but what you can do for the employer that will help you get ahead in this world. And whether you realize it or not, we're all in the business of marketing our services to someone, and this book can make a huge difference (assuming you deliver what you promise, of course)!

David offers hands-on methods rather than pie-in-the-sky platitudes that sound good but have no meat in them. I have been reading marketing books for years, and until now I haven't found a single one that contains as much useful information as this one.

One caution, however. You can't just read a book on losing weight and see the pounds melt away. Neither can you just read this book and watch the money roll in. You will have to go chapter-by-chapter and actually do what David recommends. I've already started. And with 77 things to try, I won't get through all of them any time soon. But I'm going to have a heck of a time trying them.

My thanks to David for giving me a million dollars worth of advice for the price of a few cups of coffee!
on May 2, 2016
 I listened to the audible of the book before getting the print version. So I liked the ideas but was a little surprised at the formatting of the book in the large type and short “chapters”.

Of Course this is a general Marketing and business book so you have to adapt the ideas to your Business. But there is plenty of exercises and space to write how you will mold them to your business.

Be sure to get the free online bonuses. The Bonus themselves are would more than the cost of the book. Especially the report “Your Marketing Language Bank”. Working through will be worth money to you.

Speaking of exercises, at the end of the book there is a step by step 21-day Marketing Launch Plan
One point of confusion on page 260 it says "After your 21-day Launch Plan, you can begin to work on your 21-day Do it! Marketing Playbook" Makes it sound like there are 2 documents. But when I down loaded there was only one document. I emailed the author and he responded "You are correct - those 2 names refer to one and the same document. We changed the name at some point during the editorial process and thus, the confusion."

Therefore there will be one document for the 21-day Marketing Launch Plan. Of course you could just work directly from the book.

I like #15 pages 45-48 Zero in on Your Pain/gain factors Doing the flip.
Flip 1: Take your benefits and Reverse them to a pain your clients would feel. Flip 2: Take each pain point and build a Pain relief Statement around it.

Three places for books and materials, on the shelves in the garage, on the shelves in my office and on my desk. Well at least for now DO IT! Marketing is going on my desk.
It has been said "the difference between an ordinary business and a extraordinary business is implementation." DO IT! is short hand for implementation. Buy it, read it, DO IT!

Mike Crosby, Author, Get More Profits Now: The Serious Business Owner's Guide to Growing Profits in ANY Business
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2013
This book hooked me in the opening pages. Let me tell you why. I had just cleaned off my desk. I threw away without exaggeration a hundred postcards and nonsense mail all marketing something. Every day I clean out my spam folders. I was just thinking what a waste, why do those companies do this when in the opening pages of "Do IT! Marketing" David says:

"Did you see that spam e-mail from the toner cartridge company? Did you respond to that great deal on vacation cruises? No? Ok. Now pop over to your paper mail pile on your desk. Did you check out the latest triple-play offer from your friendly cable company? How about that compelling cell phone offer from Verizon? When's the last time you gave your credit card number to a cold caller who interrupted your family dinner?...

But you seem pretty excited about YOUR cold calls - and sending out YOUR spam, YOUR offers, YOUR postcards, YOUR sales messages."

Yup I was hooked from that point on. This is a well written, highly illustrated fun productive read. Not only doe Do it! Marketing give you 77 techniques and a 21 day plan for success but it is full of advice, business expertise, and tips. The book covers social marketing, how to get better leads, better prospects, techniques for making a business into a marketing machine.

Do It! Marketing isn't an academic book on marketing. It doesn't have a bunch of theory, irrelevant stories or case studies. It moves quickly from technique to technique - 77 of them with an Action Plan divided into 13 parts. This book is all about doing so that the sale gets made, the cash register sings. I think that if I could only have one book on effective small business marketing or business lead gen this would be it.
on October 23, 2013
After reading some of the reviews on this book I borrowed it from the library. I didn't find alot of substance here. Maybe the author would have been better off having less ideas (77) and fleshing them out more. Ideas 18 and 19 are basically just lists. Several of the pages are attributed to other authors. Idea 72 is just half a page.

I did like the idea of the black marker test where you put your marketing materials up next to your competitor's and cross off the company names. Would you be able to tell the two apart?

This book is a quick read and if you still want to read it I would suggest borrowing it from the library.
88 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2013
David really nailed it with this... I hate to just call it a book, it's a graduate degree in Real World Marketing. Any one of the ideas could be that gem that gets the cash flowing from new and existing customers. Even if you don't consider yourself a marketer, you will get ideas you will be excited to implement right now. I DO consider myself a marketer, and my head was spinning from the new ideas I couldn't wait to try. Just get it.