5.0 out of 5 stars You and your child will laugh out loud together
Published on September 9, 2007 by Julie Neal

3.0 out of 5 stars Word play is a little advanced for the target age group.
The premise behind the book is sound. However, the play on words is over the heads of the little ones the book is meant for. Also, the words are all over the page making it a little confusing which "blob" goes in what order. Not awesome.
Published 14 months ago by Tonie

5.0 out of 5 stars You and your child will laugh out loud together, September 9, 2007
I've never seen a better book to introduce children to good manners. This one uses a cute animal premise -- Mr. Rabbit doesn't know how to treat his new neighbors, who are otters -- to build a smart, spirited tale based on the Golden Rule. Each page spread teaches the value of a different type of behavior. One shows how it helps to be friendly, another one honest, another one apologetic. But the book is never preachy, and, in fact, barely serious. There are lots of visual and verbal gags, and the inspired artwork mixes the friendliness of the character designs in the movie Ratatouille with the wackiness of SpongeBob SquarePants.

Designed for years of use, the book has a reinforced binding, and a dust jacket that's printed with the same art as that on the cover itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars You and your children will love this book., November 12, 2007
T. Mills (Brevard County, Florida) - See all my reviews
When I first saw this book I thoroughly enjoyed it, but wasn't sure how my granddaughter (4 years old) would react. Well, she loves it and asks for it over and over. The book is very clever, and has lots of little surprises that aren't immediately noticed, making rereading fun. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Unto Otters, October 29, 2007
We are absolutely IN LOVE with Laurie Keller's books. We own, and read on a regular basis, each one. The Scrambled States of America, Open Wide Tooth School Inside, Arnie the Donut, Grandpa Gazillions Number Yard have all been favorites in our book collection. Do Unto Otters didn't dissapoint us! What a fun read! My son enjoys the references to other books hidden in the margins and back covers. Thanks Laurie, we can't wait for your next book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Do Unto Otters, November 27, 2007
(Reviewer pulls out clipboard and pencil)

Alright everyone! Looks like we've got ourselves the new Laurie Keller book here. I'm just going to go down the list for a second to make sure everything is accounted for:

Aside-happy artwork that will take multiple readings to fully absorb? Check.

Voices given to usually nonspeaking main characters? Uh-huh.

Silliness in spades? Yep.

Clever storyline that will appeal to kids and adults alike? Well...

(Reviewer quietly puts clipboard and pencil down in order to speak frankly)

Well, you see, that's where I get just a bit hung up on this one. Let me explain.

Our story begins with Mr. Rabbit hopping through the woods, heading home to his comfortable tree hole. Once there, he runs into his new neighbors - the Otters. Mr. Rabbit is worried; he doesn't know much about otters and is nervous about how they will get along. To the rescue comes Mr. Owl, who provides a twist on the old golden rule. He asks Mr. Rabbit to list some of the good qualities he would like to see in Otters. Friendliness, honesty, and kindness all make the list, to name a few, with each characteristic illustrated in Keller's signature humorous fashion.

You see, Do Unto Otters is really more of a how-to guide than a story. And as a how-to, it succeeds - taking a subject of universal importance and making it fresh and entertaining. While it doesn't hit the highs I was anticipating, Do Unto Otters is still 4 out of 5 by me - nothing to mope about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurie offers us manners with unique clarity., October 10, 2007
Little late getting this delightful book. Showed it to my grandkids and read it myself...carefully so's not to miss anything. I like the sweetness of these characters and Laurie's ability to bring her message with fun in mind, but keeping the lesson true and easy to understand. Nothing to dislike in this wonderful book. Her great talent just grows and grows. It is fun that she always puts one of the characters from her previous book in the new one. Did you find it? One of Grandpa Gazillion's numbers dropped in to say, "Doo dee doo!" We are looking forward to more life lessons from this artist/writer.

J. George

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, August 30, 2008
Kelly Young (Overland Park, KS) - See all my reviews
My children, ages 6 and 4, both loved the book. The story line was cute, so they absorbed the lesson without really knowing there was a lesson to be learned! Of course, an otter tooted in the story, so what four year old boy wouldn't love it! I am bringing this into my preschool classroom to share with those children as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manners can be funny, May 2, 2010
This review is from: Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners (Paperback)
Do Unto Otters has very creative text blocking and whimsical illustrations. In the story, Mr. Rabbit returns home from a morning hop only to find that he has new neighbors-the Otters. Rabbit, knowing nothing about otters begins to panic. Wise Mr.Owl steps in and gives him a word of advise "Do unto otters as you would have them do unto you." This leads Mr. Rabbit to ponder the question "How would he like otters to treat him?" The story leads the reader on a colorful, silly path to enlightenment detailing how Mr. Rabbit would like "otters" to treat him. This is a great story for teachers, parents, grandparents to read with their children. It really does remind children and adults what it means to have good manners. The Adventures of Roxy and Mozart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight for All Ages!, October 24, 2008
The message is clear and presented in myriad ways, much humor and some really clever art work. Read each page slowly and don't miss a word or a picture. Your kids and grandkids will demand many repeats. And you will have as much fun as they do!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best children's books on manners!, August 28, 2008
R. Masilon "wordnerd" (Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
Do Unto Otters is one of our favorite books. Not only does it review good manners, but it gives great examples for the use of good manners. It is written in such a way that it really shows children the value of treating others as they wish to be treated. I also think it has helped my children feel more comfortable in new situations by giving them a real behavior code. Meeting other people seems to be less intimidating for them since we've gotten and read this book. It is well written and very nicely illustrated. I recommend it to everyone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do unto Otters: A Book about Manners, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners (Paperback)
Our family has just discovered Laurie Keller and her WONDERFUL gift/talent to teach children on many different subjects while they are laughing!! Her humor reminds me some of the talented people at Disney....that can write a kid's movie that EVERYONE finds funny. Some of the humor goes over the kids head but it's great for us adults reading to them. My boys(5 and 4) know many of the states....From The Scrambled United States. And on the occasion they forget their manners....I'll remind them Do Onto Otters!!!! If you and your children like humor, art and to learn at the same time....Laurie Keller is your author!!!

Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners
Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners by Laurie Keller (Paperback - September 1, 2009)
$7.99 $5.01