Customer Discussions > Mass Effect 3 [Download] forum

Do not preload from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2012 10:25:42 AM PST
Daniel Cheng says:
Whatever you do, don't preload Mass Effect 3 from Amazon.

Wait for Amazon to give you your product key and preload directly from Origin. If you preload from Amazon, Origin has a hard time recognizing the install location and files because Amazon's preload file structure is different from the Origin preoload, so it makes you redownload the game with its own directory structure.

It's been a hassle to rework the Amazon directory structure into one that Origin recognizes.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:33:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 12:51:50 PM PST
Interesting, I wish I would have read your post earlier. I just downloaded the game via amazon and it says its extracting files needed for installation. I will look into this and post what i find.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:56:33 PM PST
**Update, I used the Amazon mass effect 3 product code in Origin and i have the option of downloading from Origin. For those who pre-ordered I have also redeemed my M55 Rifle via Origin.
Now i have to find a way for Origin to recognize my Mass Effect 3 downloaded files(from Amazon).

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 1:24:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 3, 2012 1:39:58 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 3:09:54 PM PST
Azn-D says:
To avoid any hassle, when you purchase this game on amazon just click on the link to redeem product code instead of download now. That what all you have to do is copy and paste that product code into Origin and you can start to preload from origin instead from amazon.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 5:15:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 2, 2012 8:42:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 8:42:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 8:50:18 PM PST
Ragnin says:
There is something wrong then because your game should be fully installed. No 99% or anything like that. You should have an icon on your desktop for Mass Effect 3 that when you try to start it bring up a authentication required message. Here are the steps I used to get the amazon download to load and install on origins.

Ok here are the steps if origin is giving you the can't install game error and wants you to redownload.

1. Have the download from amazon (around 10 gigs)
2. Try to install and get error (You will have redeemed your key and everything. You should now have Mass Effect 3 tied to your account).
3. Close Origin and go into your Program Files Folder (may be the x86 if you have 64bit) and locate the folder called Origin Games (ignore the one called Origin).**
4. Create a Folder called Mass Effect 3 inside Origin Games**
5. Open the amazon Mass effect 3 download folder (should have several files and folders, ignore them) and extract the "masseffect 3.zip" into the mass effect 3 folder you just created. The Mass Effect 3 folder inside of Origin Games should now contain several folders and files.
6. Relaunch Origins and it should have changed from needing to download to "ready to install"

** This step is different if you have changed where Origin installs your games at. For example I changed mine to install into a directory called Games in my C: Drive. If you did that then you create the Mass Effect 3 folder in whatever directory Origin is installing your games at and not in the Origin Games folder.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 1:39:44 PM PST
I got it to install, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 8:58:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 8:58:55 PM PST
Bryan Horton says:
To get ME3 to install on my system I followed Jacob's steps above with one necessary change to step 5. I only copied the BIOGame folder (~9.7GB) from the extracted zip file to the 'Origin Games\Mass Effect 3' folder. Once copied I opened the Origin client and resumed the download. The download picked up at 97% and finished downloading the remaining ~300MB in about 5 minutes. Until I did this I continued to get the 'a problem occurred accessing the downloaded file' error at 99% complete.

I'm not certain but I think the cause of the 'a problem occurred accessing the downloaded file' error had something to do with the binaries folder from the Amazon zip not matching up with the binaries folder the Origin client was downloading. Again, just a guess on my part.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 4:03:16 PM PST
S. Gustafson says:
This was what finally worked for me. Copying the whole extracted zip file over overwrites something that Origin apparently needs, but just the one big folder will make it download a very little bit then install. All in all, you're better off just registering your key on Origin and letting it do the downloading itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 4:46:31 PM PST
Joe says:
Thank you for this post. It takes me about 12 hours to download the game, and this just saved me a lot of bandwith.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 2:39:43 PM PST
A. Brown says:
OMG thank you. I have tried everything. I got "Your account is logged in on a different computer." "installation has failed."
"Error 100: Try again later" and "problem accessing the download file" this finally worked!! I am so relieved.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 12:52:34 AM PST
S. Prasad says:
Thanks alot Jacob. My internet connection is terrible and sporadic and it may have taken me days to redownload it.

I did exactly what Jacob Miller said, extracted the contents of the 10gb Zip file into C:\Program Files\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\ and then it installed flawlessly.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 9:02:48 PM PST
Oleg S says:
this worked for me. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:34:01 PM PDT
D. W. Carr says:
Thanks Bryan. That did the trick. 97% as you said.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 1:50:16 PM PDT
Bryan Horton says:
No problem D.W.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mass Effect 3 [Download]
Mass Effect 3 [Download] by Electronic Arts
2.9 out of 5 stars   (638)