5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed
I read an article recently that burglars are more likely to smash a window than try to pry it open because if a neighbor hears the noise, they'll stop and listen for the second noise. When none is forthcoming, they'll go on with what they're doing and someone is in your house.

Published 21 months ago by J. Luigi

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, BUT ...
Published 11 months ago by Steven Dupont

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Doberman Security SE-0106 Ultra Slim Window Alert (Electronics)

I have a couple of windows on the side of my house that aren't easily visible because of a privacy fence and I wanted to alarm them for broken glass (this device does NOT detect someone prying your window open - that's an entirely different alarm system). When my order for this product arrived I read through the instructions and it's quite easy to arm the device for placement - I'll just note that they didn't arm right away because the instructions didn't tell you to open the battery pack and remove a tab. I figured that out on my own and as expected, the LED on the unit flashed, and then beeped, and they were armed.

You peel the sticker on the back and stick them on the window. I liked that the back of the device has a warning sticker stating that the window is alarmed - any bit of extra security is good. They adhered very well to the window and as I have double-paned windows I put the alarm high on the lower pane, then gave a thump to the upper pane and the alarm went off. You really don't need to alarm both panes but if it makes you feel better go for it.

I like that the LED doesn't stay on, which help conserve battery power.

For the price this is an excellent layer of security to have. It isn't so sensitive that it gives off false alarms in a heavy wind, but it definitely responds to a significant vibration to the glass. Very happy with the product.

UPDATE 6/1/13: In a recent hail storm, the vibration from the hail (not very large hail, perhaps nickel size) hitting the windows set off the alarms. My neighbor came running out on her front porch with her phone, ready to call the police. These things work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product if Used for Intended Purpose, June 14, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised to find that this item did an excellent job of detecting any disturbance to the glass. I tested it a few times in some simulations and found that while rapping on the glass door gently would not trigger the alarm, a full smack with the palm of my hand (and think how much harder a baseball bat would be!) would set off the alarm.

A purchaser must keep in mind is that this product is intended to detect someone breaking the glass of a window or door. It is not, as other reviewers have suggested, intended for use as a window/door opening detector.

In short, the alarm is loud, it is not so sensitive that it will be set off by the cat pawing your door but it is definitely going to let you know if someone is trying to break your glass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Timer Reset Function, December 16, 2012
Update 27 SEP 2013: I wanted to add these have been installed over one year and are functioning perfectly. I watched a security video by a inmate who spilled the beans while imprisoned for multiple burglaries. He gained access most often through unsecured doors or windows. His second favorite is forcing sliding glass doors up off their tracks with a wedge and moving it quietly with professional suction cups, and third, breaking a window for entry. He stated glass vibration sensor's are the best deterrent for glass windows. For sliding glass doors, a vibration sensor with screws along the top of the frame to prevent it from being lifted off the bottom tracks is best. I just did mine - my sliding glass doors have a bottom height adjustment screw for the lower door track that needed to be lowered. I added three stainless screws along the top frame of each slider after adjusting the door height, and slowly adjusted the three screws to prevent them from being forcefully lifted off the sliders. I added security bars to the sliding glass doors, too. Another good recommendation is adding extra long screws in all door lock and hinge hardware. I pulled a couple screws for sizing, headed to Lowe's to compare the size, and changed them all with 3 1/2 inch wood screws.

The timer automatically shuts the alarm off after approximately one minute. This works good should a storm trigger the unit while away to conserve the batteries. Before permanently attaching the units with adhesive, I moved them around on the windows and tapped the panes to locate the most sensitive spots for vibration. It's unlikely anyone can jimmie a window or sliding glass door open without triggering the sensor after application to the most sensitive installation spots of the glass panes.

Take care to deep clean and dry the installation spots on the window panes with something like rubbing alcohol. The 3 little batteries lasted about one year. When the batteries become low, the alarm will only go off for a couple seconds as a battery warning - that's easy to test occasionally by bumping the window. If placed on non-sliding traditional glass doors, a small delayed chirp goes off when turning it on - allowing you a quick moment to lock up when leaving.

White or black electrician's tape can be trimmed to help weatherproof the alarm's seal when installed in semi-wet locations. Very consistent performance from unit to unit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, BUT ..., October 17, 2013
If you bang hard on the window, it goes off -- so no doubt it would alarm if glass was broken. The siren itself is fairly loud as well, however, likely not loud enough to get a neighbor to call the police unless they were very close to the unit (say, within 50 feet). Would it scare off a burglar? Probably not. Although it does have a red label on the opposite side, which can be seen through the glass. This could possibly be a deterrent, but probably not. It's hard to get into the (stupid) criminal mind, but personally I would just break the window, grab the alarm and switch it off -- which is quite easy to do.

Bottom line: it's not a home security system, but it's better than nothing. An inexpensive way to have SOME security and peace of mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little extra safety for a little extra cash, December 4, 2012
We received these and immediately tested and installed them on two sliding doors that are already secured, but we like the loud noise factor of these small alarms.
Unlike others I don't think an intruder would need to crack the glass to set these off, even a good knocking or jostling on the window set them off when we tried them out. Which is exactly is what I expected and received.
They set off a loud, shrill wail which we could easily hear from even two floors away.
Combined with other security this will add peace of mind to the home. I suggest these if you have a door or window you rarely use, but want to keep in your homes security monitoring. If one has a pet that likes to jostle doors, or children that are prone to playfully bang against the door or window you install it on, make sure they are turned off until the kiddos or the fluffy ones are tucked away, then flip a switch and go about your business.
These are small and indiscreet for the most part. Has a reverse side sticker that shows to the outside onlooker to notify them.
Makes me think this would also be quite a nasty surprise for a teenager trying their hand sneaking out of the house... heh heh...

4.0 out of 5 stars Work great!, October 18, 2013
Michael C. O'Brien (Granada Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These work great, and give you a little extra peace of mind at night, knowing you have one more level of defense regarding break-ins. They are pretty sensitive to glass disturbance, but they don't go off if you are just closing the doors. Important: these are not designed to trigger for doors opening, or lock cracking, more like for window breaking. If someone tries to smash your window, these will sound, but not if someone manages to get your sliding door or window open. Another tip: make sure you mount them where they will not be disturbed by your sliding door movement. I mounted one on each pane of my sliding back door, but my sliding door does not clear over it, so if I open the door all the way and it bumps the alarm, it sounds. Make sure to check your door clearance! And they are decently loud, loud enough to alert those around you!
That's about it. I put them on all my sliders, and my big bay windows, basically any large windows that can allow a human to fit through if broken. Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars works as described, March 15, 2013
I bought one to see if it works and It does so I will be ordering more for all of my windows. I attached it to the window. It is very slim and doesn't interfere with blinds opening and closing. I knocked very loudly on the window and the alarm sounded pretty loudly. I tapped lightly and it didn't sound. When I banged on it with my fist which didn't make much noise, but vibrated the window, it alarmed again, I will have one on every one of my kids windows.

4.0 out of 5 stars Using to Protect Paintings, September 23, 2012
Jay D. Anderson (Stafford, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Using these on the back of paintings hanging in a public gallery to protect them from being vandalized or stolen. Nice. Not so sensitive that it will go off from a light touch, etc. but sensitive enough to "know" when someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing. Not water proof (for outdoor art) but could be mounted in a zip-lock baggie to make it waterproof. Easily damaged if the "culprit" has access to it they can smash it... or turn it off by the switch (that is normally on the inside of a window).

Seems to be very energy efficient... no "ON" LED that stays lit and burns off the batteries over time. That is good.

A small LED that flashes when the unit is turned on and it sets itself. These would be good to use to protect display items in a store -- paintings and such... anything in which movement is likely to cause vibration would set it off. I got mine for $8 at Lowes Hardware store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Thin. and Loud., November 17, 2011
I purchased these for a couple of windows. They work well, and only go off when the window is hit pretty hard. They are thin enough to slide the window over when opening. And loud enough that even the neighbors would hear. I did have to purchase 4 of these for 2 windows, one for each side/pane.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, October 18, 2013
I got these today and they are WAY better than I dreamed they would be.

They are perfect for a slight break-in deterrent, to warn you if you are home and someone is breaking in, or to possibly give a thief pause when breaking in. Is a neighbor going to hear or care about this? No.

It's loud enough that it hurt my ears while standing in front of it and would definitely wake me up, but not so loud that the entire apartment building would hear.

It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Less than an inch thick, and about the size of a shower curtain ring in circumference.

It is sensitive, but not overly so. If I knock on the window, it goes off, but knocking on the frame around the window it didn't.

It only sounds for 30 seconds, but it also has an off switch. Again, it could be easily turned off by a burglar, so it shouldn't be your only method of home protection, but it's definitely a good layer.

I don't love the decal. I don't think it is threatening. It looks fake and lame. Also, since it gives the name of the product, it allows a potential burglar to look up the product and figure out ways around it. The label looks cheesy. I'd rather it say nothing, or else look more legit, yet not give the name of the product.

Overall, EXCELLENT value for this product. WORTH the few bucks. Amazon would only allow me to buy three at a time, but I plan to buy more. Gives me plenty of peace of mind now. Again, don't let it give you a false sense of security, but it's a great product as part of your home security system, especially if you live in an apartment and are on a budget.

Doberman Security SE-0106 Ultra Slim Window Alert