Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doc Martin Series 6
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 16, 2013
A new series of Doc Martin seems to be a treat we can look forward two every two years. That was how long we had to wait for Season 5 and now there has been a further two year wait for Season 6. However, the good news is that, whereas for a while it did look like Season 5 was to be the last, Martin Clunes recently said that if Series 6 was well received then the show would continue. I would imagine that the script writers would not have any problem writing new stories for the gentle folk of Port Wenn almost indefinitely so hopefully Doc Martin will be with us for some time to come.

Doc Martin was formerly a successful surgeon in London before a phobia for blood drove him to his current position as GP in this sleepy Cornish village in the West of England. With a deadpan face and no apparent people skills, he is not well equipped to deal with the eccentric inhabitants. It is amazing how often a largely expressionless face speaks volumes! One wonders how the long suffering Louise manages to put up with him, but clearly she does as this series opens with them preparing at last for their wedding. However, as we might have expected, things on the day and subsequently run far from smoothly.

As in the last series, child minding arrangements for Baby James are an ongoing issue. This time the Doc falls out with the regular minder, and her temporary replacement does not prove to be entirely satisfactory. Meanwhile, when he is drafted in to take the baby to a mother and toddlers group, he does not seem to blend in very well! Neither does he endear himself with the unfortunate Louisa when he invites her school Chairman of Governors and wife around to dinner - it does not prove to be a perfect evening and this was one of the funnier episodes of the series. However, often the action revolves around other characters such as Bert or PC Penhale and Doc Martin and family are in the background, although the series does finish on a note of high drama.

You really cannot imagine anyone apart from Martin Clunes playing the part of Doc Martin and Port Wenn provides us with a gentle and charming show which we very much look forward to. Personally I do hope that Doc Martin does continue as it is certainly among the best of our TV viewing currently.
`
2121 comments|384 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2013
Everything you hoped it would be. How about we all push for a season 7? Martin Klunes is great as always.
on November 15, 2013
I love this whole series. I was put onto the series this year by my brother and was hooked from first one. It's maddening, heartwarming, funny and so very English humor. Doc Martin at times you want to hate him and then he does something that makes you like him a bit more. His love hate realtionship with his girlfriend, the local constable and receptionist is classic. He has some very interesting patients , all so lovable at times. I've watched the series twice and it's something you'll watch over and over and if you have those people in your life who love good TV, this is the series for you.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2013
Very enjoyable series....the characters, story lines and scenery are just superb! So hoping it will be followed up with more! There isn't anything like this on American television...its so far outside the usual crime shows or lame comedy. It is intelligent, charming and very entertaining....especially the ongoing relationship between the Doc and Louisa, however troubled, you can't help but root for them!
on October 28, 2013
Absolutley thrilled to learn today there will be a Series 6 of Doc Martin. It tops the list of favorites for most in my group of friends. Hard part will be waiting for the DVD to be available for purchase. Hope the series goes on well past #6!
11 comment|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
THIS 6th AND LAST OF THE SERIES IS THE BEST ONE SO FAR. IT'S A SHAME WE WILL NO LONGER BE SEEING THE CHARACTERS OF PORTWENN AND THE ADVENTURES OF DR.ELLINGHAM - HOPEFULLY, ALL CONCERNED IN PRODUCING THIS SERIES WILL CHANGE THEIR MIND - WOULD LOVE TO SEE JAMES HENRY GROW UP AND SEE HOW MARTIN RELATES TO HIM.
77 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2013
I definitely will preorder this. It will be my treat for Christmas. This series is delightful. I watched 1-5 on Amazon Prime during my summer off from teaching. The humor is actually funny, the relationships are hysterical. I can't wait. Thank you Amazon.
on January 27, 2014
Doc Martin 6 has been my least favorite series. Starts off with a slapstick episode and then descends into dark, serious drama. Much of the charm, lightness, and humor of the earlier 5-star-rated series rapidly disappears. The idea of the producers to make Martin grumpier and more unreasonable as time goes on becomes rather grating. One hopes to see the slightest signs of personal growth and enlightenment as a character develops, but this series (except perhaps at the very end) leaves us disappointed in this regard. And much the same with the other characters who largely remain unchanged, even those who've had harrowing experiences.
1212 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2013
This is such a quirky character one can't help but enjoy his what I call "antics". The real plus.....Eileen Atkins. Anything with Eileen Atkins is a must-see.
on December 12, 2013
I saw the whole series via a friend who lent me his series while I was going through chemo. Now that Season Six is out, I anxiously ordered it along with the rest of the series which I really enjoyed. I am going to watch them all again from beginning to end during my next session of chemo. Gives me some joy during a stressful time.