Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doc West (Widescreen)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on October 9, 2010
When I saw this listed in the new releases for Amazon, I thought,WOW, maybe the Spaghetti Western is being resurrected. The film stars Terence Hill who played both Trinity and Nobody co-directing Paul Sorvino and has a music score by Maurizio De Angelis who co wrote many Spaghetti Western scores. Instead of going for the tough, gritty style of the genre, Hill and screen writers Marchello Olivieri and Luca Biglione go for a family oriented look and feel reminiscent of the Television fodder of Little House on the Prairie and the Ponderosa from 'BONANZA'. This is not a bad thing, it just was a surprise. Hill plays the title character who goes from town to town tracking bad guys and playing poker so he can send his winnings back home to the daughter of a woman who died at his hands while performing surgery in an alchoholic stupor. He then gets in the middle of a land war and falls in love with the town widow while struggling with his inner guilt. If it sounds corny, it is. The film reeks of sentimentality but it works , the photography and scenery elevating the film to rousing family entertainment for the modern age. Paul Sorvino shines as the town sheriff whom Hill wins over with his mannerisms. For those expecting a violent oater, leave your six guns at the door and watch a great Euro-actor pull off a western for all ages.
on May 6, 2011
I wondered if I'd like this, I didn't think T. Hill could pull it off by himself, but he does, with help from Paul Sorvino and a good cast of characters. Although DOC WEST isn't TRINITY, it is an entertaining film(much better dubbing). This movie although not as gritty as the TRINITY films it has several good moments and continues the eating beans from a frying pan joke from them. It appears Paul Sorvino is stepping in to Bud Spencers' shoes and not doing to bad and T. Hill is moving on with his career, YEAH!!! I'm looking forward to seeing TRIGGERMAN(the sequel) and many others. I can't figure the bad reviews, any western fan should be well pleased with this movie, I do like my movies(especially westerns) more to the R-rated side, this movie is far to good to be given less than a three star rating, I'm giving it a 5 star if for no other reason than TRINITY'S back, err a DOC WEST.
on March 15, 2012
Really appreciate a good western and this one qualifies. Originally viewed on Netflix 10/2011,liked it so much I decided to add it to my film library. The story is about an american legend who seeks revenge against men who stole his poker winnings. This may sound a bit boring but the story-line had much more to offer. Doc developed good relationships with the townspeople including the sheriff played by Paul Sorvino just by doing "the right thing". He befriended and defended a very young man who was being abused for starters. Of course the movie is not without action.

Terrence Hill plays the lead role. Was not familiar with him but loved his accent, not bad to look at either. He did a great job.
on September 3, 2014
While this movie is not the typical Terence Hill movie, it was still well worth watching. As another reviewer described the movie with the words Shane meets Little House on the prairie, it was that, yet more. The principal theme that I took away from the movie was of redemption and hope. Hill, the main character is initially mysterious but likable, and as more is learned of him, he becomes more human. This movie doesn't have the comedy that is typical of the usual Hill western, but he still has the skills with cards and guns. The fancy card handling has obvious camera manipulation that is a little distracting, but then we know that Hill wouldn't be able to do the tricks with the deck without a little help. He doesn't do much shooting, but when he does, his speed and skill are reminiscent of the Trinity movies. The picture quality and cinematography are very good. This is a movie that I would recommend to anyone to watch alone or as a family. Maybe over a skillet of beans.
on June 19, 2014
Fans of Terrence Hill will definitely want to see the aging star in another Western. There isn't near the comedy that many of his previous movies contained. He plays an aging cowboy with sage advice, but doesn't show much of the energy we have come to expect from him. Paul Sorvino is decent, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have rather had Bud Spencer as the sheriff. The movie plods along and although worth seeing it doesn't have the same entertainment energy and/or comedy level to the Trinity Twin Pack (They Call Me Trinity / Trinity is Still My Name) movies or My Name Is Nobody (40th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray]. In fact I fell asleep the first watching and had to go back and see it again. If you enjoyed this movie, they made a sequel called Triggerman. I hope if they make a third movie they put more comedy in it. If you want something you can sit down with the whole family and watch I recommend these movies.

CA Luster
on August 6, 2015
I have always liked Terence Hill but I wish I had not seen this movie. He looked to be half asleep most of the movie and just going through the motions in a semi detached manner. The script, direction, and rest of the actors were worse.
on May 4, 2012
Lots of people may be disappointed with this film but I think it's great.It's a film the whole family can watch.It's great to see Terence Hill back in action with his six-guns,horse,and his witty humor.It also fun to see Paul Sorvino almost taking Bud Spencer's place,though with his own sense of humor.Don't miss the sequel Triggerman.
on June 19, 2012
We went to Costa Rica last fall, and a fellow on the tour told us he was an extra in this movie. Well, since we love Terrence Hill, we decided to buy the movie, and were we glad we did. Very entertaining, and as usual, Terrence Hill delivers a great performance.
on December 30, 2014
I definite enjoy the Terence Hill's movies. He's still as likeable as he was in the late 60's or 70's and 80's. I have seen dozen of movies with or without Bud Spencer, all are funny and teach something (except how to distinguish a stallion from a mule). Doc West is perhaps the most tender and compassionate of all. You do not see any blood, immoral scenes or foul language. Yes you see the classic brawls but nothing heavy (like in real life baseball) I'll buy "renegade Jim" when available too.
on November 20, 2011
There are Westerns,and there are Westerns.I have been a fan of Western Movies,TV Series,and Novels for over 60 years.I have also been a fan of C& W Music for just as long.Though Hoot Gibson,and Jimmy Rogers were a bit before my time;my introduction to Westerns was in the 40's as a kid watching Roy Rogers,Gene Autry,The Lone Ranger,The Durango Kid,John Wayne,etc., every Saturday afternoon at the movies.C & M Music when I grew up with was Hank Williams,Kitty Wells,Red Sovine,Wilf Carter,Hank Snow etc.;and later on Johnny Cash,Minnie Pearl,Tammy Wynette,Loretta Lynn,etc.
However,that was then;Western Movies changed and we got the big productions such as Oklahoma,High Noon etc and TV gave us Gunsmoke,The Rifleman,Big Valley,Ponderosa,etc.In music we got Barbara Mandrell,Merle Haggard,Willie Nelson,Kristofferson,Jennings,etc.
Time marched on,Westerns Series disappeared from TV,sort of replaced by Little House on the Prarie and Dallas.Westerns were just about a thing of the past,when Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood changed everything with the "Spaghetti Westerns"Now some Westerns were better than ever;but except for the odd one like Tombstone,for example,Westerns have almost disappeared again;3:10 to Yuma being an exception.
Several years ago Henry Winkler teamed up with Kris Kristofferson and gave us the teriffic series,Dead Man's Gun. That's now gone,and so is Deadwood,an excellent series which is also gone.Now, when it comes to TV ,forget about Westerns,except for reruns of older movies.Same with C& W Music.Nashville changed all that,pushed Traditional or Classic aside for Country Rock;putting an end to the Legends and music of the people that lasted for decades and even generations.Urban Cowboy and Linedance ,etc., is a poor substitute for C & W Music.When did we last get something lasting like,"Your Cheatin'Heart,"I Walk The Line",I've Been Everywhere", Folsom Prison Blues",or music like "Wildwood Flower or "Mama Tried","Will The Circle Be Unbroken,"I saw The Light",etc.
Western fans still long for the Movies,TV Series and Novels,and that is why I was excited when I came across this movie.It is not too bad,but is a far cry from what we had in the past,especially with the Spaghetti Westerns.It is more akin to what we got with Bonanza or Little House on The Prarie.While a good Western,with lots of shootouts,and fast action and expressions and characters of the Old West;can stand rewatching;that can't be said for Doc West.The photography was good,but except for two characters,Doc West and the Sheriff ,the characters were lackluster.The only real action scene is where six men enter a match to the finish is pathetic from a western standpoint.I reminded me of Bob Hope in Paleface.
I liked both of the actors and their roles as Doc and the Sheriff,but the script was a dud.I got the feeling this movie was the result of the European movie people trying to produce an American Western ;but used Ponderosa as a model rather than Shane or High Noon.Certainly, one has to wonder if they ever even saw such great Westerns as A Fist Full of Dollars , Pale Rider or The Good,the Bad ,and the Ugly.
All I can say is that I liked Terence Hill as Doc and Paul Sovino as the Sheriff,it's just too bad the writers didn't produce a good story and script.