5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these pants now!!! Fantastic value and my go-to pant.
Published on June 18, 2012 by Brian Liu

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, cheap materials and construction.
Published on July 26, 2012 by Pat T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these pants now!!! Fantastic value and my go-to pant., June 18, 2012
Brian Liu (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dockers Men's Alpha Khaki Slim-Tapered Flat-Front Pant (Apparel)
Slim fit chinos are somewhat of an enigma in men's style. Brands like Unis, Left Field, and Wings+Horns offer slim fitting chinos that are mysteriously expensive for the quality. Enter Docker's Alpha Khakis. I bought three pairs of these when they were first released, and wore them to death. The tagline "where jeans end and khakis begin" was pretty cute, but I never thought it would actually hold true for me - I wear these FAR more than the denim I used to go to everyday. A few notes on the Alpha Khakis:

Waist: For those with an athletic build or thicker legs, these pants will feel tight. However, keep in mind that these can stretch significantly if you want them to - up to one inch in the waist. I measure 32" at the waist, but when I first bought these at 32, they were way too tight. I returned them for 33" which fit very snugly (still a little too tight), but decided to see if they'd stretch out. They do in fact stretch out after wear and they now fit very comfortably. In retrospect 32" would probably fit me if I wore them long enough...In any case, buy these either true to size or 1" more in waist depending on how thick your legs are.

Leg: These pants fit wonderfully through the leg without venturing into skinny-jeans territory. The leg opening is perfect - a little more narrow than what you'd find in Levi's 501, but wide enough to wear with Oxfords/dress shoes.

Length: I would suggest purchasing 2" more in length as these pants are great for cuffing. The hem, unlike normal khakis, are relatively narrow (a little more than half an inch, just like the hem you would find in normal denim) which makes cuffing look good (I personally hate the really thick cuffing that you see in a lot of magazines but that's just me). There is little to no shrinkage in the length.

Value: These are absolutely the best pants in value that I've purchased in recent memory. Right of the package, you can tell that the fabric is more robust than your average khaki (they're designed to be as tough as jeans and they certainly feel like it). I've tried on high end chinos before and the Alphas give them a run for their money at 20% of the price. I think these were so popular that when Docker's first released them, they sold out within a few weeks. When you buy these, you'll be wearing them everyday for years to come.

I wish there were 6 stars ratings reserved for wonderful products like this. Very rarely do "mall brand" companies nail a product like this. Pick up a couple of pairs and save on shipping....if you buy only one, you'll probably want to buy more!

5.0 out of 5 stars nice pants, August 27, 2011
Dockers mailed me a free pair of these, so I figured the least I could do was write a review. To summarize: 5 stars because they're comfortable, I really like the cut, and the seem durable.

Pros:
-I really like the fit. I prefer slim-fitting, tapered pants, and Dockers seems to have hit the mark on this particular cut. I wear a 33x30 typically, and these are spot-on, with just the right leg openings at the bottom.
-Seem more durable/rugged than my other Dockers chinos. But the lighter color means I won't be changing my oil in these bad boys.
-Really comfortable, and if they "break in" as much as the advertisements suggest, I think they'll be a regular in my wardrobe.

Cons:
-I still don't think they're a "jeans replacement." For work, their color means stains, etc., they're just not quite as rugged as jeans, and there's no other comparative advantage over tried-and-true denim. For fashion, they look a lot like normal chinos, so I can't see why I'd prefer them over jeans in a jeans-appropriate setting.
-The double-button waist is nice, but I'd prefer metal buttons and a button-fly on pants that are supposed to be this durable.

Amazon has them for less than Dockers.com, and I think they're well worth the $45. If you're skeptical, just wait for a sale: Dockers has them pretty frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Preliminary, October 22, 2013
Fit and construction are great. Perfectly slim without being "tight." I do squats and lift regularly and these achieve the "slim" I want without hugging my nuts or looking like leggings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, cheap materials and construction., July 26, 2012
Been looking for a pair of pants to supplement my APC denim when I want to wear something lighter in warm weather. The Dockers Alpha pants have gotten some attention from style blogs because apparently Dockers sent a bunch of people free pairs of pants to review. After receiving my pair that I purchased through Amazon (Dark Pebble 32x30) I have a few thoughts to contribute to those looking for a versatile pair of pants that can be worn like denim. First, the fit of the Alphas is great as far as khakis go. Usually khakis are loose, even when labeled "slim fit", with a drape similar to dress trousers. The Alphas are cut like a slim, european style denim. They hug the legs close and will be a little higher in the crotch and rear seat area. This was a fit I was looking for and am happy in that regard. I also like the color selection and the coin pocket on the right side. Nice touches.

However, the areas I am not happy with are first, the material of the pants. The cotton used is rough and cheap feeling. Perhaps I can wash the pants several times to soften them up, but I don't think that would solve the problem. In the Alpha's actual retail price range (not Amazon price), I expected the material to be closer to something like a J.Crew style chino; soft and on the mid/heavy side of weight. In my opinion, the material on the Alphas is comparable to Old Navy khakis; rough and crinkly like a cotton tarp (not to be confused with the rough fabric on work pants like Dickies which will soften over time). When I wear the Alphas, the area behind the knees and around my lower thigh immediately create spiderweb-like creases. The material doesn't have much give if I squat down - I feel like my knees could rip through the fabric. If I get on my bike and attempt to pedal, I'm conscious of the thinness of the material around my knee and obviously, elsewhere. The pants don't appear like they could handle abrasion on a day-to-day level without getting holes. I suppose if I was to just wear the pants to an office and sit or stand most of the time, I would be less concerned, but I work as a photographer so I'm sitting on studio or location floors, squatting a lot, working with lots of grip equipment and so don't think I'll be keeping the Alphas around to test out their durability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pants!, October 25, 2011
These pants are really nice. I love the slim fit! To me they seemed a little pricey, but it was a good investment. They seem to be very durable. I would consider going a size up if it's a close call, but don't take my word for it. I usually wear 29X32 but the 30X32 is perfect for me. I wish I could afford more of these pants haha. If you want to have a more modern look then definitely go for these. Keep in mind, these pants are made of a bit heavier material. Overall, they look and feel fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alpha Slim Fit Khaki., February 10, 2012
First of all, I love these pants. I have always loved the clean look of Dockers, but have not found a fit that fitted me as I am tall (6'4") and slender (190lbs).
These pants start off slim in the thighs and taper down at the shoes. If you are familier with Levis sizing, I am the same size Levi 511 as I am for these Alpha Slim Fits (36x34).
The material is just perfect, not too thick or too thin, and seems to be very well constructed.
I have been wearing these to work, in a business casual setting, and out to the bar with friends.
I purchased the gray color this time, and will be purchasing the other colors very soon. This is a great buy! If anyone has any questions let me know.

5.0 out of 5 stars best fitting pant, March 9, 2012
i am 6'3" 180lbs and these pants (34x34) fit me amazingly. i used to wear jeans every day but these are my new pants. they have a slim fit but the waist and seat area aren't too slim. they fit much better than the couple pairs of jeans i own. the side pockets are great too, you can actually get your hands in and out with no problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, casual pants that fit!, August 1, 2014
As someone who has worked long and hard to stay slim, I got very tired of pants that didn't fit me well, including "classic" fit khakis and relaxed fit jeans. I was very pleased to find the Alpha Khakis -- some of the slim-fitting jeans don't stay up very well on me, since I'm not very big in back. I've now bought 5 pairs of Alpha Slim-Tapered pants in 4 different colors. These and the Levis 510s are the only pants I have bought in recent years that fit without alterations. I was initially concerned about wearing skinny pants and bright colors, since I'm not trying to achieve a hipster look. (That would look pretty silly at my age, and I won't wear a fedora anyway.) I've avoided the camo styles and the loudest colors, but there are lots of other options, and I'll certainly be back to buy more of these.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't fit my athletic thighs, October 29, 2013
I have strong quads and when getting a 30x30 the quads are like yoga pants tight... not a good look. To get the thighs to fit, I have to go to a 32x30, but that's just too much material for my waist. Will work if you have average or skinny legs, but if you squat heavy or have thick thighs, these aren't for you. Check out Gap's professional khaki line for a better fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits great, vanity sizing., September 30, 2013
I'm wearing them now! Sharp pair of pants. Nice taper. Very strong fabric. The color is closer to a grey tweed. Definitely grey compared to the British Khaki.

I measure 38" in the waist, but the 36" fit me perfectly. This is the case with other Dockers as well, so this was not a surprise.

Dockers Men's Alpha Khaki Slim-Tapered Flat-Front Pant