Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Price:$23.91 - $49.99+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 18, 2012
Slim fit chinos are somewhat of an enigma in men's style. Brands like Unis, Left Field, and Wings+Horns offer slim fitting chinos that are mysteriously expensive for the quality. Enter Docker's Alpha Khakis. I bought three pairs of these when they were first released, and wore them to death. The tagline "where jeans end and khakis begin" was pretty cute, but I never thought it would actually hold true for me - I wear these FAR more than the denim I used to go to everyday. A few notes on the Alpha Khakis:

Waist: For those with an athletic build or thicker legs, these pants will feel tight. However, keep in mind that these can stretch significantly if you want them to - up to one inch in the waist. I measure 32" at the waist, but when I first bought these at 32, they were way too tight. I returned them for 33" which fit very snugly (still a little too tight), but decided to see if they'd stretch out. They do in fact stretch out after wear and they now fit very comfortably. In retrospect 32" would probably fit me if I wore them long enough...In any case, buy these either true to size or 1" more in waist depending on how thick your legs are.

Leg: These pants fit wonderfully through the leg without venturing into skinny-jeans territory. The leg opening is perfect - a little more narrow than what you'd find in Levi's 501, but wide enough to wear with Oxfords/dress shoes.

Length: I would suggest purchasing 2" more in length as these pants are great for cuffing. The hem, unlike normal khakis, are relatively narrow (a little more than half an inch, just like the hem you would find in normal denim) which makes cuffing look good (I personally hate the really thick cuffing that you see in a lot of magazines but that's just me). There is little to no shrinkage in the length.

Value: These are absolutely the best pants in value that I've purchased in recent memory. Right of the package, you can tell that the fabric is more robust than your average khaki (they're designed to be as tough as jeans and they certainly feel like it). I've tried on high end chinos before and the Alphas give them a run for their money at 20% of the price. I think these were so popular that when Docker's first released them, they sold out within a few weeks. When you buy these, you'll be wearing them everyday for years to come.

I wish there were 6 stars ratings reserved for wonderful products like this. Very rarely do "mall brand" companies nail a product like this. Pick up a couple of pairs and save on shipping....if you buy only one, you'll probably want to buy more!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2013
Fit and construction are great. Perfectly slim without being "tight." I do squats and lift regularly and these achieve the "slim" I want without hugging my nuts or looking like leggings.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2011
Dockers mailed me a free pair of these, so I figured the least I could do was write a review. To summarize: 5 stars because they're comfortable, I really like the cut, and the seem durable.

-I really like the fit. I prefer slim-fitting, tapered pants, and Dockers seems to have hit the mark on this particular cut. I wear a 33x30 typically, and these are spot-on, with just the right leg openings at the bottom.
-Seem more durable/rugged than my other Dockers chinos. But the lighter color means I won't be changing my oil in these bad boys.
-Really comfortable, and if they "break in" as much as the advertisements suggest, I think they'll be a regular in my wardrobe.

-I still don't think they're a "jeans replacement." For work, their color means stains, etc., they're just not quite as rugged as jeans, and there's no other comparative advantage over tried-and-true denim. For fashion, they look a lot like normal chinos, so I can't see why I'd prefer them over jeans in a jeans-appropriate setting.
-The double-button waist is nice, but I'd prefer metal buttons and a button-fly on pants that are supposed to be this durable.

Amazon has them for less than, and I think they're well worth the $45. If you're skeptical, just wait for a sale: Dockers has them pretty frequently.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2015
I noticed a small rip-threading out from the zipper area. See below. Everything else is great!
review image
on July 26, 2012
Been looking for a pair of pants to supplement my APC denim when I want to wear something lighter in warm weather. The Dockers Alpha pants have gotten some attention from style blogs because apparently Dockers sent a bunch of people free pairs of pants to review. After receiving my pair that I purchased through Amazon (Dark Pebble 32x30) I have a few thoughts to contribute to those looking for a versatile pair of pants that can be worn like denim. First, the fit of the Alphas is great as far as khakis go. Usually khakis are loose, even when labeled "slim fit", with a drape similar to dress trousers. The Alphas are cut like a slim, european style denim. They hug the legs close and will be a little higher in the crotch and rear seat area. This was a fit I was looking for and am happy in that regard. I also like the color selection and the coin pocket on the right side. Nice touches.

However, the areas I am not happy with are first, the material of the pants. The cotton used is rough and cheap feeling. Perhaps I can wash the pants several times to soften them up, but I don't think that would solve the problem. In the Alpha's actual retail price range (not Amazon price), I expected the material to be closer to something like a J.Crew style chino; soft and on the mid/heavy side of weight. In my opinion, the material on the Alphas is comparable to Old Navy khakis; rough and crinkly like a cotton tarp (not to be confused with the rough fabric on work pants like Dickies which will soften over time). When I wear the Alphas, the area behind the knees and around my lower thigh immediately create spiderweb-like creases. The material doesn't have much give if I squat down - I feel like my knees could rip through the fabric. If I get on my bike and attempt to pedal, I'm conscious of the thinness of the material around my knee and obviously, elsewhere. The pants don't appear like they could handle abrasion on a day-to-day level without getting holes. I suppose if I was to just wear the pants to an office and sit or stand most of the time, I would be less concerned, but I work as a photographer so I'm sitting on studio or location floors, squatting a lot, working with lots of grip equipment and so don't think I'll be keeping the Alphas around to test out their durability.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2015
I like the pants, I really do. The problem isn't the pants, it's that elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. Returns. I had second thoughts about buying clothes online, I think everyone does a little, but I decided to trust Amazon to take care of me and bought these pants anyway. I received them today and was excited to try them on. The fabric is nice and thick and they are cut really well. The problem is in the crotch area where there just look ridiculous (I'll try and upload a picture). I can't wear these to work and doubt I should wear them anywhere.

So, I called amazon, hoping to work something out and the person that I spoke with was super nice. Her name was Heidi. Anyway, Heidi and I discussed my options, and long story short, i shouldn't have bought them. Due to my work schedule, it is really difficult to get them to ups somehow, so I have to keep them (Yay!) But they don't fit (Boo!!). You probably shouldn't buy clothes online either, especially if shipping anything gives you nightmares. :/
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2011
These pants are really nice. I love the slim fit! To me they seemed a little pricey, but it was a good investment. They seem to be very durable. I would consider going a size up if it's a close call, but don't take my word for it. I usually wear 29X32 but the 30X32 is perfect for me. I wish I could afford more of these pants haha. If you want to have a more modern look then definitely go for these. Keep in mind, these pants are made of a bit heavier material. Overall, they look and feel fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2015
These are great quality, stylish pants. But the problem I have is with the other reviewers posting misleading reviews, which lead to me purchasing these pants. I read several reviews from people claiming to have athletic build and stating these pants were snug or slim but not too tight and not like skinny jeans. This is simply not true. I am 5'11, 205lbs, and wear a 32" waist. I workout but I'm not a body builder nor is working out my "life". For me these are the definition of skinny. I ordered two sized too large and received every athletic guys nightmare. Waist is loose and revealing if you bend over yet the thighs are so tight it is slightly uncomfortable to walk. This is wearing them brand new, no wash, so there's no chance of shrinking being the cause. They are not stretchy, contrary to other reviews, which is fine because they are good, sturdy quality. The cut for the leg opening is perfect for modern style to be worn with Clarks or similar style shoes/boots. Again, the pants overall are incredibly nice, just will not fit people with large thighs. Sigh, the search continues for pants that fit.
on March 6, 2015
I generally wear 32x32 in almost all other style of pants, but these fit very tight. I have a pretty athletic build and these would barely squeeze over my thighs. So I went ahead and ordered a 34x32 to get a little more room in the legs and they fit great! It is a pretty stiff material but once they break in they are very comfortable and look great too.
on November 13, 2013
These pants are well made, a good understated grey, and I wear them on casual Friday.

I ordered a 31/32.

I am 6' tall and weigh 155 lbs (skinny), and I was hoping these would be a slimmer fit than they are. They are not so baggy that I can't wear them, but if you're looking for a sleeker look these won't be for you.