Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 14, 2011
Other reviewers have provided the storyline, so I won't repeat it here. I will address some reviewers' concerns and add my own opinion of the story.

Some erronously think the sister's panties showing in the illustrations. They are not, they are bloomers which girls used to wear so that their panties *didn't* show. Bloomers were worn under dresses over underwear so that little girls could run and play *not* show their painties. I have often wished I could find them now for my little girls who love wearing dresses (even though I never wear them). Bloomers are basically pretty shorts.

I have read the book so many times I have it memorized and I can't recall any ominous injuries (another concern I saw posted). A boy got a tiny cut on a metal toy, and a father got a cut on a manual lawnmower blade. Nothing ominous in either case. Additionally, the sister, dog and doll all had pretend injuries, or old scraps that they wanted band-aids on, just like children of today.

Lastly, I found nothing sexist about this book. The mother was wearing a dress, but women did back then. Women do today, too. The mother helped her child feel better, which to my knowledge, mother's of today still do. The father, on his day off of work, mowed the lawn. I believe that both men women mow lawns today. The book does not say that only father could or that the mother was doing 'woman work' or anything of the sort. Many fathers of today mow lawns on the weekend. Lastly, the brother and sister were playing together, not sexist either!

For the record, I grew up in the 80's and I am a mother. There may have been sexist attitudes in the 50's, but to find them in the book, you have to put things into it that aren't there, and children do not do that. I think it is a very enjoyable book for parents and children alike. I know my children (of both genders) love this book.
on June 15, 2003
Just would like to say that this story is wonderful in its portrayal of a boys being boys, a mother who has time, a brother who loves, plays with, and helps his little sister, and a Dad who indulges the eager interest of his young son (even if it costs him 10 minutes on the lawn job). My children love this story and don't think "mom" and "dad" are doing anything unusual--as has been suggested in some reviews. (too old fashioned in its view) The only exception is that Dad is using a funny looking lawn mower which only opens the door for some interesting conversation when the story is over. I highly recommend it!
on March 22, 2010
Oh goodness! The reviewers who commented on the sexism etc are so ridiculous! Seriously. Are we that politically correct? This is my son's FAVORITE Golden book and we have OVER 50. He asks me to read it several times a day and always says "One more time!". He is 2 and has loved it for the last year. It is so charming and sweet. The illustrations are perfect and the story is not too lengthy (sometimes I paraphrase long ones!). As for it being a Band-Aid ad, I think not! It doesnt even say the brand, it says BANDAGE! If you have kids, you know that they love bandages!! Also, I don't think the mother is scolding him at all. He comes in crying and she says, "Why, that is nothing to cry over..." then she proceeds to clean it for him. that is EXACTLY how you should repsond to ALL kids (when they are not seriously injured of course). with care and love but not over reacting. unless you want your kid to be a serious wimp or something. Moving on. THe person who commented on the girls panties showing. Oh my! Give me a break! What is wrong with you that you would even notice something like tha? Anyhow, they are little BLOOMERS peeking out which is totally fine. Goodness gracious! This is a perfect book for kids and has a lovely storyline which is just the right length.
on May 17, 2008
I am a 61 year old new Grandfather.I remember this book from when I was 5 years old.I haven't seen a copy for probably 50yr's,but I still remember the Band Aids.I think it's interesting that some reviewers see a very good book meant to introduce children to first aid and the idea of helping others, while others only see a little girls panties and advertising.I'm not sure why this book made such an impression on me,(it might have been my first book),but it still stands out after 55yr's.The 50's may seem odd to some folks but for the first 15 yr's of my life my parents never found it necessary to lock the front door unless we went out of town.Since I have seen all the Shirly Temple movies I didn't think the sight of a little girls panties was either shocking or disturbing,but I guess some folks see it as harmful.My parents read this book to me a lot until I learned how to read it for myself,and I don't think I was harmed in any way.As soon as I can find a copy my Grandson will have his first book in his library. John44
on July 26, 2012
My mother bought this book for me when it was first published in 1950. I was six years old at the time, and I read it to my little sister, who was three. We both loved it, and my sister, Laura, demanded I read it over and over again, which I happily did. Found a use for those Band-Aids, too. What I didn't know at the time was that "Doctor" Dan, the protagonist of this story, had a little sister named Carly who grew up to be a rock star. (The book was dedicated to Peter Simon, Carly's little brother and Little Golden Books at the time were a subsidiary of Simon & Schuster so it's a pretty safe bet that the "Carly" wasn't Carly Fiorina. Nor Carly Rae Jepsen. Moreover, the author, Helen Gaspard, was the Simon kids' nanny.)

Since then, this Dan, no doubt the result of having owned "Dr. Dan" as a child, has bought every Carly Simon record ever made, along with multiple copies of this terrific book, which have been given to a multitude of children, relatives and otherwise. I have the older kids read the story to the little ones. To a child, the kids are enraptured by the story and don't find it dated. Moreover, it gets `em away from Grand Theft Auto and Mafia II for awhile, a good thing.

Some reviewers have noted the "sexism" which pervades the book, which was written by a woman. Boys play Cowboys and Indians (with toy guns, not real ones). Girls play with dolls. Mom's a stay-at-home mom, and Dad cuts the grass, with a manual push mower. (I remember cutting the grass with one of them back in the `50's.) To those who have a problem with this, or with little Carly's bloomers, get a life! The book is a product of its times, and its times weren't so bad.

The essence of this story, an altruistic little boy with a loving family, is timeless, and will survive the inanities of political correctness. I hope the idea of a kid coming to the aid of his little sister, his dog, and his Dad will survive, too.
on November 14, 2005
This is a fun book, and my 3 year old son has us read this over and over. One note - Dan does initially hurt his finger in a big ol' cowboy ("make-believe") gun fight in the back yard, so if you are avoiding guns with your little one, there is a mild reference to them in this book.
on February 27, 2016
I was watching Disney Jr and there was a question, Do you remember you favorite book as a child. I checked online and there it was I am 61 yrs old but was still excited to get this book. As a few other reviews, I memorized this book. I took the best care of it and loved the bandaids in the back of the book. This is an old fashion book and that is the whole point of buying it now. My grandson who is 21 saw I had it and started reading it only because I told him it was my favorite book as a child. I will be reading it to my great granddaughter who is 13 months old. Exposing her to new and old is important. Some day she will pull it out and read it to her children and remember, this was my great grandmas book. Family memories can go way back. So those of you with the problem with the bloomers and the book being sexist are really over thinking. Just enjoy your own memories no matter what envy one else may think. Love the book still.
on August 9, 2015
I had the original book in the 50's with a free bandaid ! I loved it and grew up making nursing my career. I recently purchased this reprint for a newly graduated high school senior. He is planning a career in medicine ( physician, maybe ) and I gave him this Golden Book as a graduation gift ( with $, of course ). He loved it ! AND it was exactly as I remembered it from my childhood.
on October 21, 2014
I had this little book as a child growing up in the 1950's. I was delighted to see that it was still available. I bought the book for my great-nephew and great-nieces. It is a wonderful story of showing compassion to others. Compassion is a lost virtue in today's society it seems.
on November 4, 2004
This book is very sweet, and has an old fashioned charm that I just love. It basically goes over different scenarios of how children can get hurt, and what to do about it. It revolves around bandaging wounds, real or imagined. (Like on a doll, or the pet dog, etc). What really caught my eye, is that in the front page, there are two Band-aid bandages! I have never seen anything like this in a book! Kid's love this kind of thing.

The story covers everything from working, playing, helping out, and comforting, and just having fun. A GREAT little book for children. Would be cute in a doctor's office waiting room, or on any child's personal library.