5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice on Staying Healthy
Published on February 18, 2011 by Alain B. Burrese

3.0 out of 5 stars health advice
This is an easy to read book encouraging healthy behavior. The author emphasizes several current recommendations i.e. daily aspirin, vitamin D, caffeine, and exercise. He has no use for vitamins with the exception of D because of a lack of clinical trials. This makes sense until he claims that clinical trials have proved that intercessory prayers benefit patients. So...
Published on January 31, 2011 by Evelyn Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice on Staying Healthy, February 18, 2011
I've been a student of Jim Rohn's materials for many years, and he always taught that you should get more than one opinion on things. He suggested reading more than one book on health, and then figuring out the best for yourself to remain healthy. That's one of the reasons I read multiple books on health and fitness. "Doctor Chopra Says: Medical Facts & Myths Everyone Should Know" by Dr. Sanjiv Chopra & Dr. Alan Lotvin with David Fisher is a very informative book on a variety of health issues. It contains new research and provides authoritative advice from many top medical experts to assist with living healthier, happier and longer.

After the Preface and Introduction, which are both longer than many books, the contents are divided into five parts. These are: Food and Drink; Drugs, Vitamins, and Supplements; Medicine; Alternate Medicine; and Health Risks. There is also a short four page conclusion where the author's "aced" life is mentioned. They share a couple of their regular health habits. (I have to admit, I'm going to incorporate some of what they do into my regular routine, including keeping two regular aspirin readily accessible regardless of where I am.)

The chapters in the various parts answer many common questions and provide plenty of advice that is practical and explained in easy language. As the authors say in the Preface, they eliminate the hype and promises, and simply report what the evidence is on various health issues. Their goal was to provide a resource to help people with all of the confusing claims, and I believe they achieved their goal and then some. The book provides science-based evidence, produced by reliable clinical trials to support or debunk the most common medical questions. Some of the topics discussed in part one include coffee, green tea, pizza, nuts, spices, and if there really is a best diet. The second part has chapters on vitamin D, aspirin, marijuana, statins, and more. Part three addresses topics such as HIV, Alzheimer's, breast feeding, cancer, and the common cold among others. The next section, part 4, has chapters that include yoga, acupuncture, and meditating along with a few others. And finally, part five includes chapters on various risks such as stroke, drinking from plastic bottles, cell phone usage, sleep, and baldness among others.

Each chapter concludes with a short summery titled "Dr. Chopra Says." These are nice little conclusions that offer advice on how to implement or use the information provided in the chapter. The actual chapters contain a lot of examples, studies, and research to support the findings that the authors present. I also appreciated that even though the authors are both prominent Western doctors, the book contains the section on alternative medicine and they don't dismiss all alternative methods, but look at them with open eyes and even suggest some of them, while telling readers to steer clear of others. I also like that the book offers advice on how to determine for yourself what's real and what's not real in medicine, so you can better evaluate headlines, stories, and articles you come across in your quest for better health.

This is a very practical and useful book for the person wanting to learn more about how to take control of their own health. You can read the entire book from cover to cover, or read the chapters that most interest you at the moment. Regardless, all of the information can help you live healthier and I recommend you add this to your health and fitness reading list.

Reviewed by Alain Burrese, J.D., author of the upcoming Tough Guy Wisdom series.

4.0 out of 5 stars "How can you possibly know what's good for you?", November 21, 2011
This review is from: Doctor Chopra Says: Medical Facts and Myths Everyone Should Know (Hardcover)
Nowadays, we are bombarded with advertisements selling new drugs and supplements, news reports about medical breakthroughs, and frightening information about potentially harmful substances in our environment. Dr. Sanjiv Chopra, a professor of medicine at Harvard, and Dr. Alan Lotvin, a cardiologist, weigh in with "Doctor Chopra Says--Medical Facts and Myths Everyone Should Know." The book is divided into five sections: Food and Drink; Drugs, Vitamins, and Supplements; Medicine; Alternative Medicine; and Health Risks. The authors discuss whether certain foods and drugs can makes us healthier; whether or not we should be screened for certain diseases and, if so, how often; and the risks we take, if any, when we drink from plastic bottles containing Bisphenol A and have our cavities repaired with fillings that contain mercury.

How should a savvy consumer make decisions that will improve his health? According to Chopra, we look at the literature, especially at peer-reviewed, respected journals that recount what scientists have discovered in clinical trials, the best of which are well-designed, randomized, double-blind, and with a control group. In short, we try to separate the wheat from the chaff, medically speaking. Chopra says, "What Alan and I have done is eliminate the hype and the promises, and simply report what the evidence is." In addition, Chopra and Lotvin encourage us to ask questions instead of naively believing everything we see and hear in the media.

This is a readable and entertaining survey of puzzling questions and enlightening answers: Is coffee harmful? Is green tea beneficial? How many glasses of red wine should we drink per week? Can nutritional supplements lengthen our lives, prevent cancer, and keep us mentally sharp? Is there any truth to the contention that practicing yoga, meditating, and/or consulting an acupuncturist are beneficial? What applications are there for statins beyond lowering cholesterol? At well over four hundred pages, "Dr. Chopra Says" offers a great deal of information, not all of which is of equal value. For instance, the section on weight loss offers conventional advice (eat right and exercise) and Dr. Chopra unsurprisingly concludes that there is "meager clinical evidence that intercessory prayer has any proven medical benefit." Most readers would be well-advised to consult the table of contents and index in order to locate topics that are of interest to them. Overall, "Doctor Chopra Says" is a well-organized, clear, and enlightening look at the state of the art of evidence-based medicine in the twenty-first century.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm giving this book to everyone I know!, January 9, 2011
The information in this book is so useful, and easy to understand, that I'm giving it as a gift to everyone I know. Finally a book for lay people, that helps make sense of the facts and myths we've all been expose to. I was very excited to confirm that my addiction to coffee is actually a good thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A much needed myth buster for consumers, January 1, 2011
Dr. Chopra Says is one an outstanding book for consumers. It uncovers the plethora of myths and claims surrounding drugs and presents the facts in an unbiased and scientific fashion. I would absolutely recommend this book as a reference guide..the best part of buying the book on Kindle is the search function. You can go directly to the topic of interest to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great and practical advice, December 31, 2010
A friend of mine gave me a copy of this book and I have to say, I haven't been able to put it down. So well written and clearly delineates the facts from the "myths". I would recommend it to anyone who's interested in empowering themselves to lead a healthier life. Great book to start the new year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it so well I ordered a hard copy for reference., June 11, 2014
I listened to Doctor Chopra Says: Medical Facts and Myths Everyone Should Know on CD from the library and liked it so well I ordered a hard copy for reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable MD's tell it like it is., August 29, 2013
A great reference. Have recommended it to many friends...no nonsense in this book. Unlike other M.D.'s who seem to have a monetary interest in what they are promoting, there is none of that in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, March 18, 2013
Linda Armstrong (Grand Junction, Colorado USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a sensible antidote to many other books and articles out there. It neutralizes nutritional paranoia and offers solid advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, very readable impartial medical advice for the layman., March 8, 2013
This was an outstanding book and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in understanding the truth behind many medical myths. Over 38 fascinating topics (chapters) were discussed covering areas that are frequently controversial and make headline news.
In his introduction Dr Chopra explains the merit and necessity for applying the true scientific method (which he explains in layman's language) to assess each topic. In this way he examines the issue by reference to legitimate medical literature without resorting to subjective opinion which is often where popular belief regarding medical conditions arises. At the end of each chapter he gives a brief summary, drawing his conclusions from the proven literature that has no vested interest in the outcome.
In his final chapter he shares a personal summary of his own and his co-author's lifestyle to aim for an Aced Life (his mnemonic for healthy habits) that reflects much of the information revealed in the book.
This is a unique book, far exceeding the typical family medical book. There is no hidden agenda to sell the reader on a particular product. The author is an entertaining writer, with proven academic credentials, whose motive in writing the book is to educate the reader to evaluate and know how to assess common medical hype in the press and the advertising media.
I bought this book for myself then ordered another for my adult daughter. She is just as enthused as I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, January 5, 2011
I would suggest this book to everyone. I believe there are facts in here that everyone should know. Even if you think you are already very healthy there is a lot of good information in here. I have personally seen some of these recommendations help people around me that I made suggestions to based on this book.

Doctor Chopra Says: Medical Facts and Myths Everyone Should Know
Doctor Chopra Says: Medical Facts and Myths Everyone Should Know by Sanjiv Chopra (Hardcover - December 21, 2010)
$26.99 $7.57