4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool
Published on August 4, 2012 by J-Dog

3.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Die-Hard Doctor Who Fans
I got this in a series of Doctor Who themed gifts for my daughter's 13th Birthday. While most girls in the U.S. are fawning over Twilight, my daughter fawns over the Doctor. Along with the Sonic Screwdriver she also received, this gift hasn't left her possession in the month since. She carries both the Journal and the Ring Fob with her everywhere she goes.

The...
Published on June 15, 2010 by M. Garrison

3.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Die-Hard Doctor Who Fans, June 15, 2010
M. Garrison "The Timelord Time Forgot" (Orient of Oregon, Valley of the Rogue) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who Journal of Impossible Things with Master Ring (Toy)

The Journal is quite small. The naugahyde vinyl cover could never be mistaken for being leather, but the wrap-around strap clasp at least lends a bit of authenticity. The content of the journal is almost entirely illegible, although my daughter claims she can make more sense out of more of it than I can (and I have a long history of reading old worn manuscripts on grainy microfilm if that means anything). Still it looks good and a child literally could carry it with them everywhere, as my daughter does.

I wasn't expecting much of the Ring Fob. In the least I thought it would be cheap aluminum or pewter. Alas, it was cheap plastic, and no better crafted than something you would get out of a vending machine. For my daughter, this was the biggest disappointment. It is also too big to fit even her thumb, and since it is a 3/4 ring and has a gap to make it "One Size Fits All" she cannot hang it on a chain. She already has asked for a "real" one made of silver with the pattern laser-etched unto the cushion-top for this upcoming Yule.

The overall quality of this product leaves much to be desired. If you aren't a die-hard Doctor Who fan, then you'd probably be better off skipping this one over. If you collection has to be complete, however, then you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 19, 2011
I was really excited when I saw this online. When I received it in the mail I was very disappointed in the product, which was expensive for what I actually got! It was $50 for a SMALL journal and a plastic ring. Maybe I didn't read the description very well or it was one of many that with a vague description. I am a big Doctor Who fan and it was so upsetting getting that when I was expecting something a little better. I would have paid $20 maybe $25 at the very most but not $50 for that. Just beware, it looks WAY better in the pictures than in actually is in person!!

Candy
Phx, AZ

1.0 out of 5 stars Grand Disappointment, December 1, 2010
Melodie K. Starkey (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I was planning to give this to a Dr. Who fanatic on my Christmas list, but it was so cheesy I would be embarrassed to do so. Reminds me of the $2 "toy" wallets and plastic cells phones, etc at the dime store, except this was far more expensive! The "leather-like" cover is just plastic that is leather colored, and the whole book is smaller than a Blackberry. The Master's ring is gumball machine quallity, and about the size of a child's finger. NOT for the serious Doctor Who fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't waste your money., March 22, 2011
I am a Doctor Who fan, and I *did* want this item -- as The Family of Blood is one of my favorite episodes - but I found out very quickly that I did not want this item, when I read others' reviews about this product several weeks ago.

Unfortunately, my husband did not listen when I told him when and exactly why I took this item off my wish list for some very good and sensible reasons.

Instead, he actually bought it for me last week, as a surprise birthday present. While I do wish that he had listened, and I do wish that he hadn't wasted his money, what can I do now?

It is exactly what others have said: The Journal of Impossible Things is a great idea, but the item as represented here, is very poorly conceived, very poorly constructed, and definitely NOT worth the $35+ American dollars that he paid for this.

The journal is somewhat readable, and in that regard, exactly what you would expect in that most peoples' handwritten journals are usually unreadable, and full of jumbled language.

The illustrations are good, too, but this Journal as it is, is hardly what I'd call a 'collector's item.'

The cover is cheap brown plastic, and not leatherlike in any way, except that sometimes leather is brown.

I expected the ring to be metal or at least wearable -- instead it is cheap gray plastic, and I on't think that even my eight year old would be interested in wearing it.

My husband says that he wants me to be happy. I say what would make me happy is that no one else waste their money on this poor excuse for a prop/toy/collector's item.

I look at this item, and I just feel disappointed.

I don't want anyone else to be disappointed either.

Thanks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh., April 21, 2011
This product is defiantly cool if it's just used as a sort of decoration. Absolutely not worth how much I paid for it. If you like Doctor Who this is pretty cool toy? unless, of course, you were planning on reading it. It's mostly gibberish, horrible hand writing (I can barley read any of it), and it mostly just repeats random sentences and words. So, if you see it priced for $5, go ahead and buy. It's worth about that much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simply Not What Is Advertised, December 7, 2012
I thought I was buying something called a book... first its dimensions are not 2.1 x 8.7 x 7.9 inches. They are actual: 0.5 x 4.9 x 3.5 inches. Indeed the printing is so poor it is un-readable . The ring, well the ring is like those that you get for 50 cents out of a vending machine at a gas station. The value of the whole package might be $3.99 if you wanted for an 8 year old. The pictures and size and description are all WRONG, not misleading, Wrong. Underground Toys are on my "NO" list. I would have sent it back to Amazon but the recipient has already claimed it and thankfully was unaware of the ridiculous price paid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality!, October 31, 2011
I received this as a gift thinking it would be awesome . It was quite poorly made and fell apart instantly. It was also very small and the writing was impossible to read due to the faint printing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool, August 4, 2012
The book looks quite realistic and is fairly true to what you see on TV, although it is smaller than it looks in the picture. Also, after about a year of general use, the paper in the area it is bound to the fake leather started to peel, but rubber cement makes an easy fix. The ring is altogether different. It looks like cheap plastic, it feels like cheap plastic, it is cheap plastic. It only fits on my little fingers. The book is good, but the ring is a cheap extra. DO NOT GET THIS JUST FOR THE RING.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scared, September 14, 2012
Just ordered it without reading reviews. Now I regret it... I mainly wanted the ring.. Doesn't seem like it will be worth it

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, September 8, 2011
This was a rip off, for one the ring can't be worn and it is made of plastic, and for another thing you can't read the book. Do not buy this it is a total waist of money, it isn't worth the one star I gave

Doctor Who Journal of Impossible Things with Master Ring