3.0 out of 5 stars This was fun, but....., May 23, 2011
Pilot Chase (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who The Time Wars Board Game (Import) (Toy)
First of all, let me say that this game was really fun to play. It was challenging and competitive and a good laugh at times. The premise of the game is to collect all the items needed and then get back to a specific spot that are given to you on the "Mission Card."

Product Specifications

For Ages 8 and Up
2-6 players
Trivia-driven challenge game for Doctor Who fans
Includes over a hundred trivia questions
Each player gets a unique mission in time and space
Unique flip board action adds an extra layer of challenge to finishing your mission
Comes with everything you need to go on a time traveling adventure

There are a few little things about it that are a bit annoying, but nothing too bad. The tokens are little glass baubles that, unless you choose the red or black, are a little difficult to see against the multicolored background of the board. The cards are really flimsy which makes them hard to shuffle. There are only 6 Mission cards so there isn't a lot of variety on HOW the missions are given out. The "Flip" part of the bard seems quite unstable and doesn't rest flat, and it also a little crooked, but I can get past that.
What I can't get past is that this game is severely lacking in the variety of trivia questions. When I bought the game I was lead to believe that it was "Doctor Who" Trivia not just "Series 5" Trivia. Every question was about events in the 5th season of the reincarnation of Doctor Who. We played this with some friends who have only seen 1-4 and they didn't know any of the answers. Had there been a question about Rose Tyler or Martha Jones in there it would have made for easier game play. Had They asked about The Impossible Planet or The Empty Child it would have given the other players a fighting change...
But as it is the questions are ONLY about the 11th Doctor and ONLY about series 5.
I'm disappointed. As a whole, the game could have been made a little higher qualtiy, but like a said, the most disapointing fact it that the questions are so one sided.
I'll try contacting the game makers and see if they would release some booster packs to include some of the previous seasons in the trivia questions. Otherwise I'm not sure that this game will get played that often, and that's kind of a waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Nice, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Doctor Who The Time Wars Board Game (Import) (Toy)
This is a fun game, and I enjoy playing it with my friends. However, the questions are only for the 11th doctor, and the 5th season, so don't expect to win if you haven't seen that season. Some of the questions are so specific, it's impossible to remember if you haven't just seen the episode. I also feel the game goes by really quickly, and the amount of cards you get (you need a certain amount of each monster)I feel was set by random, the easy questions give more cards than the hard ones. The board flips, and when you are instructed to flip it, one of the sides, it does not stay on, and you have to have something to weigh it down. There are little arrows that point to the possible paths, but there are many, and sometimes it is hard to see if you can go on the path.