1,149 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Timey-Wimey Perfection
Published 9 months ago by Tyler Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Outrageous price for one episode
I agree with the previous reviewer. I would have paid amazon the standard $2.99, maybe even $3.99, for the Day of the Doctor episode. But $7.99 is clearly price gouging. Amazon needs to learn that they will lose sales if they charge this much. This is just outrageous. No sale for me.
Published 9 months ago by Texas Aggie

5.0 out of 5 stars Timey-Wimey Perfection, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor (Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray / DVD Combo) (Blu-ray)
This could have gone so very wrong. There are so many elements that shouldn't have worked, but in the end the Doctor's 50th anniversary was a rousing success. I'm going to start this review off by saying that I will offer no spoilers beyond the confirmation that, quite regrettably, Christopher Eccleston does not appear in Day of the Doctor. It is disappointing but thankfully Smith, Hurt, Piper, and Tennant more than make up for his absence.

A phone call from U.N.I.T. sets off a fascinating chain of events that eventually brings 11, 10, and the Warrior together. The action is fast, the story is fun, the Doctors are an absolute joy to watch, and by the end of the special, the series will be headed in a bold new direction. There are several other surprise appearances that I will absolutely not spoil. Suffice to say that fans, new and old, will be very, very happy with them.

This special was as close to perfect, without Eccleston, as it could get, though I do wish the villains were a little more threatening, though that is nothing more than a nitpick. Smith and Tennant are simply marvelous together, and John Hurt only makes them more fun to watch. All in all, The Day of the Doctor is a fantastic tale that no Whovian should miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best pure Live action 3D I have seen, November 29, 2013
The show itself is good with its ups and downs, but I am here to say the 3D is mind blowingly good.
Definitely up there with the best live action 3D I have ever seen. Being Blu Ray this should be even better than what I saw.
But the resolution was fantastic. The imagery was highly dimensional and I can't even imagine watching this episode in 2D.
You wouldn't be seeing a world in a painting. It would be like a black and white picture telling you how colorful a painting is.
Everything about it is first rate at least for the first forty minutes. Then a little less attention gets paid to the 3D aspect.

I hope this spurs more 3D broadcasts because it was such a great experience. 3D on televisions is so well done and yet there is so little content readily available to customers who own 3D capable sets. Hopefully Netflix will get this one soon so more people will have access. (Netflix is one of the only streaming service providing some 3D content) Almost a must have for fans of the Doctor and 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing episode!, November 23, 2013
Just saw the 50th anniversary episode on BBC America. It is totally brilliant. The writing is amazing. Moffat tied the 12 (yep, I said 12) doctors together seamlessly. I will be ordering this dvd so I can see it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the high price?, November 24, 2013
While I would have purchased this episode anyway, I am extremely disappointed in the "screw you" pricing for it. Loyal customers shouldn't be subjected to price gouging. The five stars are for the fantastic episode, but for the pure greed of the company regarding this episode, I give Amazon 0 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts on the price hike, November 24, 2013
Excellent episode. I was looking forward to purchasing Day of the Doctor and An Adventure in Time and Space together.

Last night the price of An Adventure in Time and Space was only 2.99, from what I have read in other reviews Day of the Doctor was priced similarly. Imagine my chagrin and immense disappointment when I checked the prices this evening and the prices were increased!

If you pull more stunts like this, you're going to drive away more customers than you retain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, November 24, 2013
Michael H (Plymouth, PA) - See all my reviews
Day of the Doctor is absolutely fantastic. A bit slow at first but the moment David Tennant comes on screen, You will flip out...in a good way mind you. Matt Smith is good as always and works great with David and John Hurt really ties it all together and is fantastic as War Doctor, I hope we see more of him in the future.

I love the nod to Tom Baker, the 4th Doctor, at the end of the special and I love how Peter Capaldi, the 12th Doctor, appears during a sequence with every other doctor during the big scene near the end of the special. It makes me far more excited to see him as the doctor.

Overall, Without a doubt it's a great special and well worth buying. I just wish Eccleston would have taken the time to film at least one scene for it because it not only would have made it that much more better but it would have been a real treat to the fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic 50th Anniversary Episode, November 25, 2013
The Day of the Doctor was a fantastic episode. It was filled with Classic Who references to make long time fans happy and plenty of Tennant and Smith for newer Who fans to enjoy. It as a very well done episode that also lays the groundwork for some exciting new possibilities for the show. I'm not going to get into any specifics about the plot in the event someone reading this hasn't seen it yet. Overall it was a fantastic anniversary episode.

A note on pricing: I odered the Doctor Who: The 50th Anniversary Collection [HD] TV Pass on Friday 11/22 and have received all of the content that was already available at that time that wasn't free for $2.84 each. And I've received each subsequent purchase in the collection, including The Day of the Doctor, for $2.84. It would have been nice if Amazon could have done a better job letting people know ahead of time the post-airing price for The Day of the Doctor would jump to $7.99 but I don't know how such pricing and price changes actually work.

5.0 out of 5 stars No spoilers in this review., November 24, 2013
This episode shows Whovians some old friends and revisits an old story, yet can be comprehended and enjoyed by a civilian watching Doctor Who for the first time. Perfect!

The documentary, "An Adventure in Space and Time", is also first-rate, providing some of the history of Doctor Who but not "spoiling" any of the episodes, so long as the viewer already knows what a Dalek is :)

Now that I've also purchased the DVD/BluRay combo:
Who needs both the DVD and the BluRay/BluRay 3D in the same package? I'd have preferred more extras on a second disc, considering the number of BBC specials there were leading up to the 50th Anniversary episode. Also, trading cards were included. Why??

3.0 out of 5 stars Outrageous price for one episode, November 24, 2013
Texas Aggie (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, November 24, 2013
A bit slow at the beginning and overly complicated, but it builds to a very satisfying ending. I wish John Hurt had more time....like say a few years of playing the Doctor.

Rate and Discover Movies