1,865 Reviews
 (1,050)

I've found that with each regeneration, it takes me a little while to get used to the new actor. Peter Capaldi is so old, isn't he, with that crepey skin and those hooded eyes? But he won me over because his Doctor is fierce and even because he is snappish. Why shouldn't he be? Seriously, I'd probably get tired of rescuing people over and over.

"I'm the Doctor...
Published 1 month ago by Happy Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars The INCOMPLETE Series 8
Published 1 month ago by Todd A. Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars FOUR Commentary Tracks! A Fierce Doctor I've Taken a Shine To!, December 10, 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: Season 8 (DVD)

"I'm the Doctor. I've lived for over 2,000 years. Not all of them were good. I've made many mistakes. It's about time that I did something about that."

"Clara, tell me. Am I a good man?"
Who, I ask you, Who could ask that question without cringing a bit?

Season 8 boxed set has 12 episodes and a cornucopia of DVD/BluRay bonus extras, including commentary tracks on 4 of the episodes. It will NOT have the 2013 Christmas special, "The Time of the Doctor". Commentary Tracks are on episode 2 "Into the Dalek", episode 3 "Robot of Sherwood", episode 6 "The Caretaker", and episode 7 "Kill the Moon". You get 5 discs with 586 minutes of episodes. It's presented in 16.9 anamorphic with 5.1 Surround sound. English subtitles are available on the episodes and the Special Features.

And what about the episodes themselves? A couple bordering on average, but overall, this season is another hit for me. The 1st episode runs 76 minutes without commercials. The rest are 42 minutes.
SPOILER ALERT: Do not read the description of DISC 4 if you haven't seen the last two episodes of Series 8.

DISC 1
Episode 1.... "Deep Breath" I would love this episode just for the hilarious beginning, with a disoriented newly regenerated Doctor and a giant T-Rex (bigger than it would be in real life). The Doctor hollers to the dinosaur, "Big Sexy Woman! Sorry. Sorry, it's all my fault. My time machine was stuck in your throat. It happens. I brought you along by accident. That's mostly how I meet girls."
A very good episode with an uncanny adversary - excellent acting all around. And it harkens back to a wonderful episode, "The Girl in the Fireplace", David Tennant, Series 2.
Special Features....
...a. "Earth Conquest - The World Tour" (40 minutes, 08/2014) Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman visited 7 cities in 12 days, publicizing "Doctor Who Season 8". Follow them as they start out in Cardiff, Wales, then London, Seoul, Sydney, New York, Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro. Whew!
...b. "Tour of the TARDIS" (2 minutes) Michael Pickwoad (production designer) gives us a tour of the changes made to the TARDIS for the new Doctor. This includes wall lights using the same molds they use to make the Dalek inner shell: "Dalek technology and TARDIS technology are not too dissimilar!"
...c. "Doctor Who Exclusive" (11 minutes) Four mini-features covering "Casting Peter", "Writing the New Season", "What is Doctor Who?" and "Why Watch Series 8?". Steven Moffat (lead writer and executive producer) starts off, "From the moment I realized that Matt, despite my pleas and attempted blackmail, wasn't going to return as the Doctor - he was determined that his time in the TARDIS was up - I started thinking about who the next doctor was."
Peter Capaldi (pronounced caw PAL dee) on playing the 12th Doctor: "There is the most beautiful melancholy at its heart."
...d. "Doctor Who Live Pre-Show" (11 minutes) Chris Hardwick's NYC-based talk show, "The Nerdist", has a special before-show introduction of the Season 8 TV premiere of "Deep Breath". As Hardwick calls it, "It is a WHO overload."
...e. "Doctor Who After Who Live" (43 minutes) Chris Hardwick "The Nerdist" has a special show after the "Deep Breath" TV premiere. Guests include Mark Gatis (writer and actor) and Dan Starkey (plays Strax). It was especially fun when everybody starts guessing who Missy is, while Gatis keeps a poker face.
...f. "London Post-Premiere Q&A" (29 minutes) Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat answer questions from the audience/twitter after the "Deep Death" premier in London.
Q: "Previous series have had big wild twist moments.... In this coming series, what can we expect?"
A, Moffat: "Well, the main thing about a twist would be that you wouldn't tell people in advance."

DISC 2
Episode 2.... "Into the Dalek" The Doctor and Clara land on the space station Aristotle, the last human outpost losing a war with the Daleks. The humans have one card up their sleeve, a captured Dalek who is actually good. A party, including the Doctor and Clara, is miniaturized and sent into the Dalek to figure out why. It goes disastrously wrong. This is an episode which brings home that this Doctor is blindingly fierce. Clara meets Mr. Danny Pink. And who the sam hill is Missy?
Episode 3.... "Robot of Sherwood" The Doctor tells Clara he'll take her where ever and whenever she wants. He's disgusted when she says she wants to meet Robin Hood: "He's made up. There's no such thing. Old-fashioned heroes only exist in old-fashioned story books." But the TARDIS proves him wrong. This episode has a Classic Foe and very funny exchanges between the Doctor and Robin of Locksley, who keep trying to one-up each other.
Episode 4.... "Listen" The Doctor mutters to himself: "Question: Why do we talk out loud when we know we're alone? Conjecture: Because we know we're not. Evolution perfects survival skills. There are perfect hunters, there is perfect defense. Question: Why is there no such thing as perfect hiding? Answer: How would you know?"
Episode 5.... "Time Heist" The Doctor and Clara wake up in a box-like room with two companions. No one remembers how they got there or why they got there. All they have is a recording by a hooded figure: "I am the Architect... This is the Bank of Karabraxos, the most secure bank in the galaxy. A fortress for the super rich. If you can afford your own star system, this is where you keep it." They have a robbery to execute. I thought this plot was magnificent.
Special Features....
...g. Commentary track on "Into the Dark" with Phil Ford (co-writer) and Ben Wheatley (director).
...h. Commentary track on "Robot of Sherwood" with Paul Murphy (director).

DISC 3
Episode 6.... "The Caretaker" The Doctor goes deep undercover at Clara's school, Coal Hill. Deeeeep undercover, blending in perfectly. Hah!
Episode 7.... "Kill the Moon" Courtney Woods, age 15, high school sophomore, wants to be special. The Doctor, in a major crabby mood, finally agrees: "How'd you like to be the first woman on the moon?" But naturally, no jaunt with the Doctor is ever simple.
Episode 8.... "Mummy on the Orient Express" Clara is serious about Mr. Pink and she is seriously tired of the Doctor's machinations. So, for her last trip with him, the Doctor takes her someplace really special: "There were many trains to take the name Orient Express, but only one in space. Completely faithful recreation of the original Orient Express except slightly bigger. And in space." Appropriately attired in Roaring 20's attire, they find out too late that they've joined a doomed voyage.
Episode 9.... "Flatline" After landing back home in Bristol, the Doctor is astounded when the TARDIS is smaller on the outside than on the inside: "Something nearby is leaching all the external dimensions." He'll have to figure it out, or he'll never be able to leave the TARDIS. This episode has a great science fiction concept, not new, but brilliantly executed. And creepy.
Special Features....
...i. Commentary track on "The Caretaker" with Paul Murphy (director), Kate Welch (prosthetic effects producer) and Pete Hawkins (animatronic engineer).
...j. Commentary track on "Kill the Moon" with Scott Bates (1st assistant director) and Paul Wilmshurst (director).

DISC 4
Episode 10.... "In the Forest of the Night" The Doctor exits the TARDIS to discover that trees are taking over the city. Everywhere, growing at an abnormal rate. He meets up with Clara and Danny and their students, one of whom, it appears, can channel the trees. This is a good old-fashioned feel-good science fiction story. It feels rather like a Star Trek episode, with a positive view of the future.
Episode 11 & Episode 12.... Two parter, "Dark Water" and "Death in Heaven". Mr. Pink, Clara's love, is killed crossing the street. Clara, not quite in her right mind out of grief, calls the Doctor, and attempts to force his hand: Change the time line so Danny Pink lives, or she will destroy all the TARDIS keys. It is a poignant beginning. The only thing to do, the Doctor tells her, is to go to hell. "And don't bleat."
Yes! Finally another 2-parter to give time to really tell a story. And we find out who Missy is - I did NOT see that coming!
No Special Features

DISC 5
Special Features Only
...k. "Behind the Scenes" (total 140 minutes) Each of the 12 episodes has a 10-minute+ behind-the-scene featurette with cast and crew. Each short was originally available on iplayer and youtube immediately following the airing of its episode.
It starts with Peter Capaldi's very first read-through and 1st day on set, and how it is to talk to a Dalek that isn't there.
For "Robot of Sherwood", Dean Goulden, an archery extra and archery trainer (officially the Archery Advisor & Coordinator): "I'm actually in the Guinness Book of Records for shooting the most count of arrows in a minute." There's also an interesting sequence where special effects shows just how they split the arrows.
Michelle Gomez (plays Missy) says, "I've had too much fun playing this role. Which is always a worry."
...l. "The Ultimate Time Lord" (45 minutes, 08/2014) This TV special is hosted by Peter Davison (the 5th Doctor), who talks to many people involved in the making of Doctor Who, past and present. In particular, he asks, "What will make the twelfth Doctor unique?" (This aired before episode 1, "Deep Breath", aired.)
One of the people Davison talks to is David Tennant (10th Doctor). When asked what is needed to be a Time Lord, he jokes, "A nice coat is always important."
Murray Gold (composer) says that probably the best known character theme is Matt Smith's "I am the Doctor". Capaldi, on the other hand, "is quite rock and roll".
...m. "The Ultimate Companion" (45 minutes, 08/2014) Peter Davison hosts this 2nd TV special, also. What does it take to be a Doctor Who companion? We should all be prepared - just in case!
Once again, David Tennant chimes in with why the Doctor needs a companion: "Maybe he doesn't like his own company."
...n. "Foxes: Can't Stop Me Now" (4 minutes) British pop star Foxes' music video of the version of "Can't Stop Me Now" that she sings in episode 8, "Mummy on the Orient Express". Her singing is accompanied by clips from all the season 8 episodes. FYI, the tune is originally by Queen.

"Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face."

Happy Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars This season is way better than Matt Smith's last season, November 17, 2014
Janel Rodriguez (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This season is way better than Matt Smith's last season, where the scripts seemed so rushed and slapped together. Perhaps because Steven Moffat is having fun creating a new kind of doctor while at the same time paying homage to classic doctors. Anyway, I REALLY enjoyed the pilot (watched it three times on cable) and love buying the episodes on Amazon so I can watch them over and over. LOVED "Listen", "The Caretaker" , "Flatline", "Mummy on the Orient Express" and "Dark Water" especially. The finale was very good but sooooooo saaaaaad. I hope the Christmas Special cheers things up.

And Peter Capaldi is quickly becoming my favorite doctor. He can be nasty like Doctor 3, alien like Doctor 4, but there is a lot of depth of feeling in his expression and eyes. So great. I am a David Tennant fan, and liked Matt Smith well enough, but I think Capaldi going to top my list of favorite incarnations of the Doctor.

3.0 out of 5 stars The INCOMPLETE Series 8, December 15, 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: Season 8 (DVD)
Unlike prior "complete" seasons, this DVD set doesn't include the previous year's Christmas specials. In particular, "The Time of the Doctor" and "The Day of the Doctor" are notably missing from this set. At the very least, the set should have included "The Time of the Doctor," since the regeneration of the Doctor between Series 7 and Series 8 is otherwise an unexplained gap in the chronology.

Shame on the BBC for these inexcusable omissions, and for mislabeling this set with the word "complete." Double-dipping is bad enough, but deliberately misleading collectors who expected a complete set of episodes is atrocious.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better stories, please!, December 6, 2014
funkschway (gainesville, GA) - See all my reviews
My daughter and I are both really big fans of Doctor Who, but during the last episode, I happened to notice that instead of watching the TV, I was reading a book and she was playing a video game. Even at the lowest point of the Ponds, that never would have happened.
I know there is a lot of complaining about Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, but I don't think that's really the problem. I really like the job he's doing, and I think his version of the Doctor is much truer to the original. The problem is the stories. They're just not that good. The addition of Clara as a regular companion has just truly ruined a lot of good things, making this season feel more like an ongoing drama than just a madman with a box. I think the writers missed a great opportunity with her character, now that we know who she is. It would have been much more fun and interesting if the "impossible girl" turned up every now and then, with the Doctor knowing who she is, and her having no idea.
So we'll just keep watching and hoping things get better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pricing issues are going to be driving this rating down., August 24, 2014
I'm rating this as 3 stars, because I love Doctor Who, but holy crap 7.99 for the first episode is a lot of money, and a good deal more than I agreed to when I signed up for the season pass. There was no mention of any episode being more than 2.99. Given I had no way of knowing what they were going to charge me for the episode until they did it except for what they listed the episodes as, I feel pretty cheated. I just got done talking with customer service, and their comment was that the pricing is dependent on the content provider. But I don't think you can legally pull a bait and switch as they have done here-- there was no warning that the price would be anything other than 2.99. I will very unhappily accept that price for the first episode if I must, but they can't confirm that the rest of the episodes will be priced at the stated 2.99. If I'm charged this much again I will be pulling my pass for the season, and requesting a full refund. I think Amazon is going to be getting a lot of complaints from some very unhappy people, and rightfully so.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the season pass, yet., August 21, 2014
Be careful, the season pass will currently charge you for a teaser episode, which is basically just paying for a commercial. Don't buy the season pass till amazon fixes this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Dr. Who, but getting tired of being cheated by Amazon Instant Video., August 17, 2014
This is not a rating of the show per se, but I am tired of being charged for non-epsiodes with a season pass. I just got charged for 48 minute teaser show. I have no problem with them selling this, but this should not be part of the season pass. Give me the episodes and any free content. If you want to sell the other stuff fine, but when I buy a season pass want the episodes with no advertisements in front (i.e. FX). If they want to sell the extra paid stuff, put it under a separate section and make a separate season pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful new beginning for a beloved old show!, September 1, 2014
I've been a fan of Doctor Who since I was just 6 years old and discovered reruns of the early episodes on PBS. I've really enjoyed the show since it's resurrection and the first two episodes of what they call Season 8 (which is really be season 34) are among some of the best! Deep Breath was a great introduction for Peter Capaldi as The Doctor with a host of winks and nods to earlier stories and Doctors from both the new and classic runs of the show while still providing a great launch point for new viewers. Capaldi is breathtaking in the role, bringing his own unique take on the Doctor while bringing to mind some of the nuances of the fourth Doctor (Tom Baker). Clara's struggle to accept that the changed man she found before her was still the man she knew and loved felt genuine and beautiful. Into the Dalek allowed Capaldi to showcase the internal struggle that his Doctor will face (each Doctor has had their own). In the end, you recognize that the Doctor is not inherently a good man, but (as Clara points out) he does try to be a good man. I am greatly looking forward to what else this season has to offer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Imagination that Charismatic Actors Cannot Save., November 13, 2014
This review is from: Doctor Who: Season 8 (DVD)
From a long time Doctor Who Fan, the return of Doctor who is a disaster of poor writing from the start which charismatic characters cannot save. This last season is stuck primarily in London and on occasion venture outside of the city limits.

They have all of time and space and they're stuck in London. Ridiculous.

Perhaps the CG is preferred by today's viewers lacking imagination that was required for sets on stage used in the original run of the series but if I had a TARDIS, I'd not be on Earth 24/7.

4.0 out of 5 stars Capaldi and Coleman are great, the writing however....., November 28, 2014
Starfire (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: Season 8 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This has been a wildly uneven season. I really like Peter Capaldi's Doctor, although I had come to adore Matt Smith's doctor, the transition was good. Capaldi has brought back the 'alienness' and a really grumpy attitude, which most of the time is pretty amusing but also sometimes scary and annoying. There have been a couple of episodes where I thought the writers took things too far, the worst being Kill the Moon, which was a pretty weak story to begin with. The big surprise was Jenna Coleman's Clara, who has graduated from being the Impossible Girl princess to the Doctor's 'carer' - and conscience many times. Clara not only holds her own with this formidable Doctor, she can literally knock some sense into him on occasion. The scenes between Capaldi and Coleman are sharp, intense, humorous and poignant, some times all in one go. Their timing together is razor sharp. They were able to save more than a few unwieldy plots.

The writing however, is really up and down. Inexplicable plots abound often with no sense of what happened next? Or what just happened? If you are a stickler for complete stories that make some sort of sense, forget it. There are several here that just do not work or are entirely unmemorable. It is frustrating because a strong cast is in place and the effects are so much better than the old days when I started watching this show.

My favorite episodes: Robot of Sherwood; a feuding Doctor and Robin Hood, a long suffering Clara, a Sheriff and killer robots; what's not to like there? Also I enjoyed Mummy on the Orient Express, a cleverly written story in a really cool setting.

What I don't like: the price! The BBC always overprices everything but this year is worse than ever. $65 for the blu ray and that's the sale price? Even with my reservations and disappointments with some episodes, I would still buy it for the Doctor and Clara, but not at this price. I'll be waiting for a while, I think.

1/5/15: I had the opportunity to rewatch these episodes during the holiday marathon and I think I was a little hard on some of them. I actually caught more of the nuances the second time around and several episodes which I originally thought were just okay were much more entertaining. Listen, although still confusing in places, was better as was The Caretaker, Time Heist and Flatliners. Still dislike Kill The Moon though and the two part finale has some good moments and some strange ones. I like Peter Capaldi's Doctor more everyday. He is more like the earlier Doctors I grew up with - only cooler!

Doctor Who: Season 8 [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who: Season 8 [Blu-ray] by Various (Blu-ray - 2014)
$89.98 $64.96