Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on April 3, 2013
This Blu-ray set will be available September the 24th, and this set features all 13 episodes of Series 7 as well as two Christmas Specials:

*2011 Christmas Special: The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe

*Cold War
*Hide
*Journey To The Center of The TARDIS
*The Crimson Horror
*Nightmare in Silver (The Last Cyberman)
*The Name of The Doctor

This set also has the following special features:

*Audio Commentaries
*Pond Life
*The science of Doctor Who
*The Companions
*Doctor Who at Comic Con

*NOTE* This set is more slim than the previously released series 5 and 6. Aside from being slimmer, the slip case fits very tightly around the trifold that houses the discs. I have to leave my set protruding slightly from the slip case or it would take few minutes before I could shake it free. Not a big issue, but not the same exact design used in the series 5 and 6 releases. The special features are set up the same way as the last two series, a few bits of supplemental material per disc. There is an insert pamphlet with Doctor Who merchandise. The first trifold houses the episode listing and supplemental material breakdown just as the complete sets for series 5 and 6 have. So this set aesthetically looks in line with the series 5 and 6 sets, just fits tighter due to being slimmer. Overall I am happy with this set and its design.

I know some people have complained about the beginning of this series, my only complaint was with "The Angels Take Manhattan" episode, and in large part because it reminded me of Ghostbusters 2 (The worst sequel in the history of film sequels) because of the Statue Of Liberty Angel. A small complaint and not really a valid complaint at that, I actually liked this episode quite a bit. I think this is the best series to date (I realize a lot of fans will disagree and I perfectly understand). I think Clara "Oswin" Oswald is a much better companion to the Doctor than Amy Pond was. That being said, I am extremely happy with the direction of the character arc for Amy and Rory. A couple as the Companion to the Doctor and their struggle to maintain a life of normalcy when apart from the Doctor I thought was a really cool concept, and very well executed. Steven Moffat is a brilliant writer, and I loved spending the first part of this series wrapping up Amy and Rory's story and the second part of this series with my new favorite Companion, Clara. I personally liked the second half of series 7 even more so than the first half. My favorite episodes were "Asylum of the Daleks" and "Cold War". I also liked the Christmas special "The Snowmen" mainly because I watched it Christmas day and I think it's the best one they've done so far, plus I like Strax a lot. This is the last series with Matt Smith as the Doctor (aside from the upcoming 50th anniversary special and the 2013 Christmas special) and I will miss him. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
5757 comments| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Both DVD and Blu-Ray of the Complete Seventh Series will be released September 24, 2013. The thirteen episodes (already released as Parts 1 & 2) are included plus two Christmas specials. For a synopsis of each episode and special, as well as the bonus features that have already been issued on DVD/Blu-Ray, check out reviews of the previous DVD/BluRay issues. Season 7 has some really great writing. Sometimes, though, the shorter 45-minute format hobbles the story-telling:
Season 7 Part 1
Doctor Who: Series Seven - Part One
Season 7 Part 2
Doctor Who: Series Seven - Part Two
"The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" (aired 12/2011)
Doctor Who: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe
and "The Snowmen" (12/2012)
Doctor Who: The Snowmen

I can't believe it! For series 7, I caved in and bought Parts 1 & 2 and the Christmas Special separately, because it hadn't made a difference for series 6. And now look what they've done. The Complete Seventh Series will have commentary on four shows. I love the commentaries on the Classic Dr. Who series. Now I have to decide if I'm going to buy the Complete series 7 (and give away the separate parts). Decisions decisions.

These are the Bonus Features on The Complete Seventh Series.

1. Audio Commentary "The Snowmen" (commentary is new) Commentators include Michael Pickwoad (production designer) and Paul Spriggs (art director).
2. Audio Commentary "Cold War" (commentary is new, episode 7.8, Part 2) Commentators include Mark Gatiss (writer and actor), Murray Barber (VFX supervisor) and Jenna Powell (VFX producer).
3. Audio Commentary "Hide" (commentary is new, episode 7.9, Part 2) Commentators include Matt Smith (about time!) and Jamie Payne (director).
4. Audio Commentary "The Crimson Horror" (commentary is new, episode 7.11, Part 2) Commentators include Neve McIntosh (plays Vastra), Dan Starkey (plays Strax) and Catrin Stewart (plays Jenny).
5. Making Of featurette for each of the 13 episodes, plus "The Snowmen" (all new, totaling 55 minutes together)
6. "The Nerdist" (new, 2013 episode) This is a BBC America talk-show style series. This episode has guest stars Matt Smith and Jenna-Louis Coleman
7. "INFORARIUM" (new, made-for-DVD mini episode) The Doctor removes details about himself from the timeline of the universe.
8. "Clara and the TARDIS" (new, made-for-DVD mini episode) Clara has a conversation with the TARDIS!
9. "Rain Gods" (new, made-for-DVD mini episode) The Doctor and River have an adventure on an alien world.
10. "The Making of The Gunslinger" (if this is the prequel, it is 2 minutes, included on Series 7 - Part 1 release)
11. "Creating Clara" (new, made for DVD) Jenna Louise Coleman talks about her character, Clara.
12. "Last Days of the Ponds" (new, 12 minutes) This mini-feature has commentary by Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvell, covering Amy and Rory's time on Doctor Who. During their last two days of filming, they share their memories of working on the series and their final farewell scenes together.
13. "Pond Life" (5 minutes, prequel to Season 7, included on Part 1 release)
14. "The Science of Doctor Who" (45 minute TV special, included on Part 1 release)
15. "Doctor Who in the US" (new to DVD, 2012 TV special) A look at the modern Doctors' visits to the U.S.A, from Daleks in New York City to a cyborg gunslinger in the Wild West. From the Doctor's death in Monument Valley, Utah, to the Weeping Angels in Manhattan. Commentators include Matt Smith (plays 11th Doctor), David Tennant (10th Doctor), John Barrowman (plays Captain Jack), Arthur Darvill (plays Rory), Noel Clarke (plays Mickey) and Peter Purves (plays companion to the very 1st Doctor).
16. "The Companions" (new to DVD, 45 minutes, 2013 TV special) Commentators include Matt Smith, Caroline Skinner (executive producer), Jenna Louise Coleman (plays Clara Oswin), John Barrowman, Arthur Darvill, Noel Clarke, David Tennant, Karen Gillan (plays Amy Pond), Steven Moffatt (Showrunner) and Freema Agyeman (plays Martha Jones). This only covers companions of the modern Doctor Who, since the 2005 restart. For some reason, Donna Noble isn't mentioned and Catharine Tate isn't included in the interviews.
Narrator: "After 900 years of time travel, you'd think the Doctor would be able to go it alone."
Agyeman: "Six years later... after first being involved in Doctor Who, it amazes me how every day someone will talk to me about Doctor Who like it was just last night."
17. "Doctor Who at Comic Con" (10 minutes, included in Part 1 release)
18. "The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe Prequel" (2 minutes, included in the separate DVD of this Christmas special)
19. "Asylum of the Daleks Prequel" (3 minutes, included on Part 1 release)
20. "The Snowmen - Three Prequels" (included on the separate DVD of this Christmas special) "Clara's White Christmas" (3.5 minutes), "The Great Detective" (3 minutes) and "Vastra Investigates" (3 minutes)
21. "The Bells of Saint John Prequel" (2 minutes, included on Part 2 release)
22. "The Name of the Doctor - Two Prequels" These are "He Said, She Said" and "Clarence and the Whispermen" (2.5 minutes, on Part 2 release)

Happy Reader
review image review image review image
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2014
Series 7 of Doctor Who is probably my third favorite series since the show returned in 2005. I'd give it a five out of five star rating easily, but this review is for the DVD set, not the episodes themselves.

To put it plainly: the transfer on this set is garbage. I don't know what happened when the episodes were being transferred for release on this set, but the bitrate is in the toilet. I had another DVD set handy at the time -- Smallville: The Complete First Season, which was released at least 10 years ago -- and I did some number crunching. I used "A Town Called Mercy" from the Doctor Who set and "Rogue" from the Smallville set. Here's what I discovered:

The video bitrate for "A Town Called Mercy" averaged around 2.8Mbps, it never got above 3.5Mbps, and would sometimes drop as low as 1.6Mbps per second.

The video bitrate for "Rogue" averaged around 6Mbps, sometimes spiking as high as 7Mbps, never dropping lower than 3Mbps.

Even without watching the data display, the difference in picture quality was immediately apparent: Smallville looked like a regular old SD DVD, while Doctor Who looked like a poorly converted AVI file. The final season of LOST had this same issue when released on DVD a few years ago, and it was just as disappointing there as it is here. I'll include a picture showing the data header on each episode of the show, in which Doctor Who has tanked down to 1.8Mbps and Smallville is up at 7.6Mbps, a high to which Doctor Who never even comes close.

What's especially strange is the episodes-to-disc ratio. Smallville has four to five episodes per disc, whereas Doctor Who only has three episodes per disc. Yet Doctor Who is significantly more compressed and riddled with artifacts. Even allowing for the fact that Smallville had 192kbps stereo and Doctor Who has a 448kbps 5.1 soundtrack, there should have been plenty of room on the discs to increase the encode quality.

If you're a fan of the show, by all means pick up this season. It's a really strong offering. But stay away from the region 1 DVD, the encoding has been horribly butchered. Get the blu-ray instead.
on September 22, 2013
I pre-ordered this item 2 months before the release, which is in 2 days as I write. I have no problem writing a review of the product, though, having seen all the episodes several times through the wonders of my DVR. I have to admit that, when I first saw the episodes, there seemed to be something lacking in each of them that made them not quite up to par. I have since decided, however, that overall, the 7th is a good season. I think I succumbed to the hype around the episodes that raised my expectations. But, the hype aside, and some time between first viewing and now, the season is satisfying. There are just a few things:

1. The stand-alone episodes in the first half of the season, for me at least, are less satisfying than those in the second half that are crossed by a story arc. While many people criticized the timey wimey story arcs in Season 6, I loved them. So, the stand-alones were lesser episodes for me. That doesn't mean they weren't good or that I didn't like them. They are just not my favorites of Season 7.

2. There are lots of extras on this DVD set. I've seem almost all of them, but it's great to have them in the set for repeat viewing. Unlike the Doctor, I don't "hate repeats"! At least, not where Doctor Who is concerned.

3. One VERY BIG disappointment for me is the fact that the Doctor Who BBC Proms concert from July 2013 was not included in the set. It really should have and could have been included. I was very happy to be able to watch the 2010 BBC Doctor Who Proms concert on a set from an earlier season and fail to see why BBC held back this time. This is the reason I gave the set 4-stars instead of 5-stars. Yeah, the concert was that good!
on March 11, 2015
If you are here, you love Doctor Who so I won't be reviewing the stories. What I will do is list all of the episodes in this set because when I was looking to purchase ALL of the episodes including the specials, I had trouble finding out exactly what was in each set. Not knowing that, I had to order them and compare the episodes against the actual master list from the BBC. Season seven is NOT complete, there two AWESOME specials not to be missed (see end of this review). The following are included in "The Complete Seventh Series".

– "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe"
1 "Asylum of the Daleks"
2 "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"
3 "A Town Called Mercy"
4 "The Power of Three"
5 "The Angels Take Manhattan"
– "The Snowmen"
6 "The Bells of Saint John"
7 "The Rings of Akhaten"
8 "Cold War"
9 "Hide"
10 "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS"
11 "The Crimson Horror"
12 "Nightmare in Silver"
13 "The Name of the Doctor"

After Season 4, the BBC aired 4 special episodes and are available on DVD and Blu-Ray as "Doctor Who - The Complete Specials". This is a 5 disc set with David Tennant (the 10th Doctor on the cover). They aired before Season 5. The Complete Seventh Series did not include "Doctor Who - The day of the Doctor (50th Anniversary Special)" or "Doctor Who - The Time of the Doctor" and must be purchased separately.
on November 6, 2013
I am not a Doctor Who fan, in general. I have been aware of the series for years, and have a great deal of respect for it as the longest running series ever. That is also why I tend not to like it, overall. When you develop a mechanic that allows you to replace the cast every few years or so, yes the series lives on, but you have new people. What if the new people don't click? What if the newest doctor doesn't grab your attention? New companions' dynamic are not believable?

That has been my trouble for the longest time. I knew of the series, had a grasp of the various races and plots, but... I never clicked with actors. So, I couldn't get into it. And then, they stumbled upon Matt Smith and I finally found a doctor I could grasp, one that actually grabbed my attention. More than that, his companions didn't bother me. The Ponds worked, River Song made sense, even the cameo companions (like Roy's Dad) played out well.

When they change up the cast, I catch a few episodes (recently through means like Netflix), to give it a chance. If they cannot grab me in 3 episodes, they never will. Matt Smith and his gang hit the mark and, after the 3rd episode, I instantly ordered all the series that portrayed him as the Doctor (as well as ordered the "day of the doctor" special out in Dec). They did THAT well. Never owned any Doctor Who before, but it landed so well, I went all out.

That is what I recommend to people that do not know, or are curious about, Doctor Who. Find a few episodes, on Youtube, Netflix, or whatever. Each new Doctor is a different taste. See if any of the land with you. There are 11 (soon to be 12) different doctors and all are a hit or miss, if you ask me.

You might find one you enjoy, or love them all. But, give it a shot. The show has been around since the 60's. It must be doing something right, maybe even something you can get into... if even just for as long as the span of one Doctor.
on October 12, 2014
I have to love season 7 because it's The Doctor, but this is probably my least favorite season even though it has some of the best moments in the most recent series of Doctor Who. Mostly, the whole Clara/Impossible Girl thing just sort of drags the story into the mire, where it seems to wallow a bit for the latter half of the season. I almost didn't watch season 8 because Clara was going to be in it. Still, it's the Doctor, and Matt Smith is absolutely brilliant in the role, and it's worth watching because of all those wonderful Matt Smith moments.

FYI: Clara is totally redeemed as a character in season 8. I'd watch it just to see Clara, now.
on April 7, 2014
Matt Smith's final season, such great storytelling from Steven Moffatt. Don't forget to buy the "Day of the Doctor" (the 50th Anniversary Special) which was shown worldwide on November 23, 2013, during the 50th Anniversary day, and then the "Time of the Doctor" which was Matt Smith's final episode. Enjoy! and Long live Doctor Who!!!
on February 25, 2014
But I felt the ending was slightly weak. Maybe because it wasn't a true ending but a cliffhanger for the special? Anyway, I truly hated to see the Ponds leave the series. And I have to be honest, I was never a fan of Amy Pond, she always seem to rub me the wrong way. But The Angels Take Manhattan was a very powerfully emotional and amazingly interesting episode.
Clara was a interesting mystery which lost some of her charm by the last episode The Name of the Doctor. They kind of solved the mystery there in a way which I felt was a tad underwhelming.
Still, I enjoyed seeing the Daleks back in Asylum, the Cybermen back in Nightmare in Silver, even if both of this enemies acted a tad off. I would think the Daleks would see the Doctor as a greater threat than some music being played on a planet by an unknown human. But that's just me.
The Snowmen was interesting in how it brought back a old enemy for those of us who watched the original series and Cold War was wonderful for one who grew up in the Cold War and also liked the Ice Warriors.
A Town Called Mercy I enjoyed very much. It had a few plot twists, was set in an old Western town (which in fact is one in Spain where many of the great Westerns have been filmed), and starred Ben Browder as Isaac. He happens to be one of my favorite stars from Farscape (and later Star Gate), so I was very happy to see him.
overall I would say a Doctor Who fan would enjoy this season and should watch it to the end for to be prepared for the 50th anniversary special.
on February 10, 2014
This is "season 7" of the NEW Doctor Who series. The old series of Doctor Who began in 1964 with William Hartnell playing the lead role. That series ended in 1989 with Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor. Then there was an American-made movie starring Paul McGann in 1996, as an attempt to regain public interest in the show. After the movie, the Doctor Who franchise was effectively done. The Doctor, at the end of the film, got called off to fight in the biggest war ever so that was that. The new season picks up AFTER the war, and season 1 was aired in 2005. Now in the seventh season of the new series, Matt Smith plays the 12th incarnation of the Doctor, as we discover here in Season 7 that there was another one who fought in the war who the audience has not yet met. So previously it was just assumed that Matt Smith is the 11th but really he is the 12th, and at the very end of Season 7 we get a brief introduction to John Hurt as "The War Doctor." You can step into this new series without watching the old series or the movie. However, I strongly suggest that you start the new series with season 1 or season 5 and don't just jump straight into 7. The first four seasons follow a series of related plot events and characters. Then there is something of a break between seasons 4 and 5 where new viewers can start without too much trouble understanding how the show progresses.

Anyway, this set contains all episodes from Season 7, starting with the Christmas 2012 special "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe" and then moving into the official season with "Asylum of the Daleks." Including the Christmas episode, there are 15 episodes plus 2 mini-episodes in this set. It ends with the final official Season 7 episode "The Name of the Doctor." In addition to the regular episodes, it also has the mini-episodes from the middle of the series and a few extra "prequel" scenes available as special features. It also has a bunch of other special features for those who are interested in behind the scenes, comic-con footage, etc.

This set DOES NOT include the 50th Anniversary Special episodes that were aired near Thanksgiving 2013, nor the Christmas special episode from 2013. Those episodes ("Night of the Doctor", "Last Day," "Day of the Doctor," and "Time of the Doctor") have to be purchased separately. "Night of the Doctor" and "Last Day" are mini-episodes that come bundled with "Day of the Doctor." I have not yet seen "Time of the Doctor" but the other ones really are a must-watch if you want to get some real closure to Series 7 so I recommend buying Series 7 and "Day of the Doctor" together. In fact, you can think of "The Name of the Doctor" at the end of this series as sort of a to-be-continued episode, with "Day of the Doctor" being its conclusion. Matt Smith is still piloting the TARDIS at the end of "Day of the Doctor" but the "Time of the Doctor" Christmas episode, which will not be available on DVD until Spring 2014, has him regenerate into the next Doctor.