4.0 out of 5 stars Had to bring the ratings up
Published on November 7, 2010 by Nancy A. Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, but not so great DVD!
Published on September 11, 2010 by Jero Briggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, but not so great DVD!, September 11, 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Space Museum/The Chase (Stories 15 and 16) (DVD)
I'm not much of a Beatles fan, but I did like the scene in "The Chase" that they cut out on this DVD release. It's not only important to emphasize the Beatles impact on popular culture at the time this episode was made, but it also has some great and funny character moments in that scene between the Doctor's companions. And the scene is NOT a few seconds long as some people put it, it's at least a couple of minutes! I loved that scene, and you don't get it here on this DVD. That said, both "The Space Museum" and "The Chase" were great stories that any Whovian would enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to bring the ratings up, November 7, 2010
Nancy A. Fox (West Covina, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This release includes 2 unrelated stories from the William Hartnell era. The only thing that links them is that The Chase followed The Space Museum in sequential order. The first story, The Space Museum, has a nice, eerie and atmospheric beginning. However, the rest of the story, once our heroes have officially "arrived" doesn't make much sense. Yes, the Doctor's interrogation scene is a lot of fun, and it's a bit amusing to see Vicki as a rebellion leader, but Ian and Barbara are a bit wasted. So much of this story is sub-par, set design, costume design, story development, that it's not really not worth watching more than once.

The Chase brings the beloved Daleks back. The Daleks have somehow gotten their hands on a time machine and have decided that they must follow the Doctor through space and time to destroy him. Every week was a new location, like Terry Nation's previous story, The Keys of Marinus, making sure that the designers had to design new sets and alien costumes for each week. It's an odd assembly, that seems more like, hey what if the Daleks met Frankenstein's monster, yeah how about Dracula too! You know what, we can blame the Marie Celeste mystery on the Daleks, etc., etc. It's not a bad story, it's just not that interesting. The beginning with the time T.V. apparatus is fun, but is quickly left behind. It almost would have been more interesting to have the Doctor, Ian and Barbara watching various instances in history that are now wrong because a Dalek has shown up, and the Doctor realizes that he has to go correct this.

Everyone is so upset that somewhere between 10 seconds and 2 minutes have been cut from the Chase, but no one has really mentioned the true crime here... Why did I have to get the Space Museum just to watch the Chase?! I've seen The Space Museum, and even had it on VHS. It is a lukewarm story at best, but I really had no desire to upgrade it to the DVD format. Yes, the fist episode is quite unique and fascinating, why are there no footprints, why can't anyone see them, why are their clothes changed, but the next three episodes really don't live up to that fascinating beginning. Even the extras on the Space Museum all seem to focus on, well yes it's bad, but it's not THAT bad.

Now to the Chase. Yes, I would have loved to have seen the Beatles on Doctor Who. Yes, I've heard about that clip for years, and I was disappointed that it wasn't allowed to be on the DVD because of the whole Beatles rights in North America. But, the edit didn't affect the story. In fact, the story itself is actually just o.k. There are a few fun bits, especially the end where Ian and Barbara mug their way through London, delighted to be home. There are some nice extras on the Chase, mostly having to do with Dalekmania, but they are still fun.

So, this isn't an amazing DVD set. It's 2 fair to middling stories from the WIlliam Hartnell era. However, if you are a Dalek fan, you should definitely get this for the extras on the Chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent early Doctor Who stories with great special features, February 23, 2011
This is hands down the best William Hartnell Doctor Who DVD release. I've purchased just about every classic Doctor Who release available and while I find the first doctor years weaker than Troughton, Pertwee, and Baker... These stories are still excellent Doctor who stories that are very important to hardcore fans.

Disc 1: The Space Museum (4 episodes) is very enjoyable story despite some fans dislike of these episodes. Great chemistry in the cast, and a welcome guest star if you're a sci-fi fan in Jeremy Bulloch(known for playing Boba Fett). Special features are very good including an interview with Bill Hartnell's granddaughter.

Disc 2: The Chase (6 episodes) is probably the best early Dalek story after "Dalek Invasion of Earth". The way the story moves from one location to the next so quickly makes the story drag much less than other 6 parters.

Disc 3: the special features are fantastic. With a career retrospective on the daleks, and William Russell talking about Ian and barbara's final adventure, this set is essential to doctor who fans.

Side Note: I've never seen the beatles clip, so no I don't know what I'm missing. But I enjoy the beatles because I like the beatles, and i enjoy Doctor Who because I like doctor who. One doesn't make or break the other for me. It'd be a shame if doctor who fans don't buy this because of negative reviews that in no way correlate with the actual stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you didn't know it wasn't there, you wouldn't miss it!, August 1, 2010
Here we have the fifteenth and sixteenth stories of "Doctor Who". Yes, from way back in the mid-1960's we get these little gems which aren't great, but are certainly entertaining. Plus the mere fact that they're 1960's "Doctor Who" THAT WE STILL HAVE makes them important.

"The Space Museum" is a four-part story where the TARDIS crew begins to experience some odd wibbly-womey, timey-wimey stuff. They have different clothes for no obvious reason, Vicki breaks a glass which then mends itself and they appear to not be leaving footsteps when they walk on sand. Things get even more bizarre when they wander into a museum where no one seems to notice them and where they see themselves on display.

I rather liked this story, though it's true the last three parts don't hold up to the standard set by the first. It's something of a pity, but despite that I found the story to be rather entertaining, and was surprised to learn that it has something of a "meh" reputation among fans. Besides, you have to love the look on Hartnell's face when he emerges from an improvised hiding place. Oh, and a bit of fun: "Star Wars" fans should keep an eye open for a young Jeremy Bulloch, who later went on to play Boba Fett.

"The Chase" is a six-parter showing the Daleks and the TARDIS crew locked in... well, a chase. Across space and time. The Doctor and company run somewhere. The Daleks follow. Wash, rinse, repeat for six parts.

Again, this isn't a bad story idea, though the execution isn't great. Still, there are some entertaining moments, like watching a Dalek fumbling math, seeing a Dalek go overboard on a ship and watching Daleks being menaced by Dracula (?) and Frankenstein's monster (?!). I also liked the bit where the TARDIS ends up in New York. Sadly there really isn't much of a story, per se, but the little scenes come together nicely and make for an overall entertaining tale.

There's lots of special features on these discs, as always, and the audio/video are quite good. I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually better than what they were when they were broadcast.

Now onto the Beatles thing. I'm not kidding in my headline here. If you didn't know it wasn't there, you wouldn't miss it. What's removed is a roughly 90 second clip showing the TARDIS crew seeing the Beatles performing "Ticket to Ride". It's a cute scene and I'm always amused by watching Ian's little dance. But it adds nothing to the plot and if you really feel the need to see it, a few moments of work on YouTube will get it to you. It's a pity that the clip had to be removed, but don't blame the BBC or 2|Entertain; blame the Beatles' people, who apparently didn't want to sell the rights to the clip. Refusing to buy this product because of a minor, non-story impacting clip is just silly and will keep you from seeing a delightful couple of stories.

1.0 out of 5 stars They've squashed my favourite Beatles!, December 14, 2010
First off let me say that it's my understanding that if the fans had not brought up the subject so vocally beforehand, the Beatles scene might have just slipped in under the radar. I'm not going to blame anyone on the BBC side, least of all the Restoration Team who work so hard on these releases.

Now let me tell you ... it irks me to no end that the scene has been cut from the American release. Is it crucial to understanding the overall storyline? Well it's definitely important to that episode but overall I suppose not ... though many other scenes fit that description even more so. Regardless, they BELONG there. And we can talk all day about protecting artistic rights but cutting this scene, with its historical significance within the program as well as in real life, does nothing for the surviving artists themselves -- who as we know wanted to appear on the show. Not allowing the scene is simply a crime against culture.

My personal solution? Though I don't support its being released with the scene cut and I in no way believe that refusing to buy this one story will endanger future releases, I've decided that I will buy it ... and I will also illegally download the entire Beatles catalog*. Further, I will keep only The Space Museum and give away The Chase, making sure the recipient knows all about the missing scene and how to find it if so desired. Finally, this is my cue to buy a region free dvd player ... which I'll need to watch the intact version I'll be buying from the UK. When I watch The Chase it will NOT be an edited version.

*OK I won't really be illegally downloading the Beatles ... but I won't be buying them either ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as it could be, February 24, 2012
I just finished watching the shows (with and without the commentary); I am working my way through the other special features.

I was especially influenced to get "The Chase" because Ian and Barbara leave, so it is a minor pivotal show (major pivotal = The Doctor regenerates; minor pivotal = change of companions)

"The Space Museum" - I've read the novelization, and it is better than the show. I didn't think the show was all that bad; I was pretty taking aback at all of the nasty things that the people in it had to say about it. Vicki (Maureen O'Brien) is particularly nasty and harsh about the show; if this was her first commentary, I'm rather surprised she was asked to do any more. She stated repeatedly that she remembers almost nothing of her Doctor Who days (and she apparently doesn't care). Apparently the director / direction was terrible, and he was never asked back. Anyway, there is at least one huge flaw; at some point, the "bad guys" (Morlocks?) are sending in paralyzing gas to drive out their enemies; Barbara and a Xeron are trapped and pass out... but then later revive and stagger out, with no explanation. After listening to the commentary and as pointed out in the reviews, the philosophical part to this show is fascinating... you see your own future; can you avoid it? Is something as small as losing a button going to change the future? Great idea. The novelization (by the man who wrote the script) is actually a pretty good read.

"The Chase" - I think I've read this as well, because I've never seen the show before, but I remember reading the Beatles scene; I didn't realize it was missing when I watched the show (I remembered that they were supposed to be in it, and looked for it). I eventually realized that they had been cut. Frankly, it really didn't detract from the show at all - I would have preferred to see the show as it really was, and I think it's rather dumb to leave the scene out. And that's enough said about that). Barbara and Ian have an excellent send-off; I wish it had been longer; I would love to see what they were going to do after being away from their jobs for two years. Being an American, I have no idea what the issue with "threes" on the bus means... from the context, maybe he was asking for two third-class tickets, and the bus lines had abolished third class between 1963 and 1965 - but that's just a guess. Vicki (Maureen O'Brien) was much better on this commentary; she confesses that she didn't consider the TV job "real" acting, and did not take advantage of her time. The director was incredibly harsh on himself, I thought.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two lackluster stories from the Hartnell years, not worth the list price, December 20, 2010
buckbooks (Hillsboro, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
If you're a diehard fan of classic Doctor Who who simply must have every episode of the First Doctor available on DVD, then you're stuck: You have no choice but to pony up for this overpriced dual offering of two of the dullest stories from the William Hartnell years. If you just want a taste of what early Doctor Who was about, go with "The Aztecs" or "The Web Planet."

In the "The Space Museum," the Doctor and his companions discover they have been turned into a museum exhibit on a planet on the fringes of a moribund galactic empire and must change history to escape their fate. The four-episode story was so bad that the Special Features menu includes "Defending the Museum," a re-evaluation of the sequence by Who critic Robert Shearman explaining why the story wasn't THAT bad, but still pretty bad. There's also a bizarre spoof feature in which comedian Christopher Green, in his Ida Barr persona, explains how the show cleverly covered for actors while they were on vacation, briefly writing them out of scripts or taping bits that could be edited in later. It's an interesting, behind-the-scenes look at one aspect of producing a weekly TV serial, but the point of the Ida Barr shtick will be lost on most American viewers.

"The Chase" is a tired, late Terry Nation story in which the Daleks chase the Doctor and his companions through time as they land in various times and places, mostly in Earth history. Peter Purves makes a dual appearance, first as an American Southerner sightseeing at the top of the Empire State Building and later as Steven Taylor, a captive of the planet Mechanus who will become one of the Doctor's companions in "The Time Meddler." "The Chase" is episodic and entirely unremarkable, except as the story in which Ian and Barbara return to 1965 London.

The Special Features included on the third disc redeem the substandard program content somewhat, but do not justify the high list price. Not to be missed are a brief documentary on Shawcraft, the private modeling company commissioned by the BBC to build the first Daleks, and "Follow That Dalek," an amateur color film showing how Shawcraft made many of the early props for Doctor Who as well as the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car.

Finally, a word about "helpful votes": Please do not rate this review as "unhelpful" simply because I don't give every Doctor Who story five stars. I love Doctor Who and regard it as the greatest science fiction TV series of all time, but I believe the point of reviews is to elevate the great above the merely good and the good above the plainly bad. If you disagree with me, write your own review and rate mine "helpful" for inspiring you to contribute something you might not otherwise have done. Save "unhelpful" for reviewers who can't spell or write a complete sentence. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeking the Best of Early Dr. Who (Honorable Mention), August 11, 2014
Well, I suppose I first should say... although I am glad to be rid of Susan's constant hysterical shrieks, the replacement "child"?!? companion, Vicki, creeps me out. She looks less like a child than Susan did, her persona (at least in these two stories) without much dynamics (aside from sheer bloody mindedness and petulance mixed in with a touch of Susan-esque slavishness to the Doctor's paternal figure), and on the whole, is an annoying blinking light to the steadfast beacons of Ian and Barbra.

I actually rather enjoyed the SPACE MUSEUM, especially the first episode. Seriously, while watching it, the thought repeatedly kept going through my head, "Wow, this IS the origin of the Timey-Wimey plotline I love so much!" Shame it gets shuffled out of the lime-light in the next three episodes. Still, due to Vicki's rather crazed promotion of "revolution", the timey-wimey aspect (as coined by the 10th Doctor in BLINK) gets played out to a satisfactory conclusion.

I was rather bemused by THE CHASE. The first three episodes are a lot of fun. I had only knew the Daleks had time travel from the modern Dr. Who serials, an aspect that was never introduced in any of the 70's and 80's Dalek stories I have seen. THE CHASE brings it in, right here at the very beginnings, and although I was bemused (even befuddled) by the fourth episode's bizarre plot, it did finally come together with complete understanding (and a good dose of imagination stretching) in the final scenes.

The fifth episode, I can take or leave it. However, once again it plays out some otherwise bleak canon in the modern Dr. Who serials with Dalek made human-droids. And the final episode, I thought the Mechanoids (or "Mechons") were nicely realized as well as the big fight scene. In fact, it's this introduction of this self-perpetuating robot race that made me re-evaluate THE DESTINY OF THE DALEKS (Story 104) in an even harsher light with it's reference to an intergalactic war between the Daleks and the machine race Movellans. If the scripting had been on the ball at that time and simply replaced the name "Movellans" with "Mechanoids" or even made a brief reference to the events here in the last episode of THE CHASE, I would have been in canon seventh-heaven.

All in all, is it one of the best of early Dr. Who? Well, like much of all things Doctor Who, it's a mixed bag. Of course due to licensing, a small scene of the Beatles playing was cut, which it's inclusion I would have loved beyond measure, but it's absence doesn't detract from, nor did it add to, the storyline of THE CHASE. Additionally, on a subjective level, Vicki does tarnish the whole thing for me, and the somewhat "lolwhut?!?" treatment of the soon-to-be new companion (as in the next serial, THE TIME MEDDLER Story 17), as Ian and Barbara leave seem weird to say the least. However, in context of the time period and limitations, these two adventures entertain and, more importantly for me, added to my overall understanding of Doctor Who lore. It may not be one of the true best in terms of the gestalt whole, but one I would recommend to anyone just picking and choosing adventures to watch at this early period.

4.0 out of 5 stars good bye Ian and Barbra, July 29, 2014
The Space Museum: the tardis lands on a planet that was turned into a museum. the doctor and friends try to prevent themselves from becoming exhibits in the museum. Vicki does this by helping the rebels. at the end the doctor gets a new toy.

The Chase: the tardis is chased through time by the derleks. key places are the empire state building, the Mary celeste, a fun house, and a planet being made habitable for humans. there they meet a man called Steven. at the end Ian and Barbra use the derlek time machine to return home to earth, but in 1965.

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful laughs, April 20, 2011
I really enjoyed these DVDs. You might really enjoy them too, if you are willing to see the comedy in what is many ways a parody of other Doctor who episodes, and if you are willing to care about the characters. Otherwise, it does not work, and there are hard core Doctor Who fans who just did like these stories.

First, these stories are comic in intent. In 1965, the Doctor Who people thought Daleks are funny, time travel can be funny, and the Doctor himself can sometimes be a bumbling fool. The Doctor Who series involves a time traveling alien whose space craft resembles a police call box, at least from the out side. This alien is just called the doctor. In the the first two seasons of the show, the Doctor and his friends had traveled to various periods in earth's past, the Aztec empire, Tibet at the time of Marco Polo, and so on. The doctor had also traveled to distant planets where he encountered other aliens. In particular, he had encountered Daleks, a race of aliens who had adapted to living inside of metal robot like bodies--if you do not know Daleks imagine R2D2 with a plunger for a hand, an eye that sits at the end of a stalk--a bug like eye-and a deadly ray gun built into the Dalek's body. The doctor had apparently wiped out the Daleks in an early episode, but another episode the doctor visits earth in the 22nd century and learns that Daleks have invaded and conquered earth. The Doctore saves the earth, of course. The concept of time travel, however, had been developed very little. The show had never dealt with the time travel paradox, and the show had never introduced the possibility that there might be other aliens, aside from the Doctor, who had time travel. The first story in this collection deals with the paradox. The Doctor and friends, have an encounter with a future where they see themselves as exhibits in a museum, and try to change that future. The episode has a lot of stumbling, and ill conceived ideas about how to change the future. The episode, has Daleks on display in a museum, and the people running the museum are part of an evil empire that is going down hill, and the museum intended as a monument to this empire is largely ignored. It is clearly a joke. The next story involves the Daleks creating a time machine to chase down the doctor because they are angry about what he did to them in two previous stories. The idea of a chase through time and space is clearly a joke, and to underscore this the sound track is a lively rag time piano piece. Both stories are parodies of B-movies and of previous Doctor Who episodes. Since this was made in 1965, the special effects are B-movie quality.

Obviously, it would be hard to pay attention to 10 episodes of jokes about B-movies if you don't care about the characters. But, I am going to make the case that characters are strong point of the first two seasons of Doctor Who. For those who do not know--Doctor Who is a program that is still on the air. The Doctor has been played by eleven different actors, on TV. The thirty second season of Doctor Who is about to be aired. The Doctor has always kept friend with him on his various journeys, and most of these friends have been human. The Doctor is known for saving the earth from all sorts of alien plots, many of these by Daleks. The interesting thing about the first two season's of Doctor who is that he was evolving into the character who would be loved for decades to come. When we first met the Doctor--see the Doctor Who: The Beginning (An Unearthy Child / The Daleks / The Edge of Destruction). He did not like humans, he did not trust humans, and he cared about other people very little. He had deliberately abducted two other characters--Ian and Barbra--because they had learned about his time machine, and the Doctor did not trust them with that kind of information. He could not just take them back to their time, because where his space-time machine landed was more or less random. In the stories in the Beginning collection, the Doctor, Ian and Barbra learn that they can trust each other, often need each other. Over the course of the first season, all three of them become willing to risk their lives to save the other two. The Doctor Who: The Dalek Invasion of Earth (Story 10), is the first time the Doctor, fights to save the earth, rather than just save his friends. In a certain twist, at the end of the Chase, when Ian and Barbra find a way to get to their own time, the Doctor is as concerned about being left without them as anything, and tries to talk them out of leaving. Another character, Viki, defends, Ian and Barbra's decision, but this is after a time when she feels that with all the people in the space-time ship, she is a "fifth wheel." The characters involved in the story are complex, and it would be hard to sit through these stories without caring about them as individuals.

Interestingly, this is the penultimate, show of the second season, and in the final episode, The Time Meddler, the Doctor has finally become the hero who we know and love. In that story, he heroically fights another time traveler--from the Doctor's own planet--who is plotting to change earth's history. It took two years to get to the Doctor as we know him, and that is what makes the episodes from the first two seasons interesting. You learn about the various people who changed the Doctors life, and the Space Museum and the Chase is a essentially the end of the story. It might help to have seen the stories in the Beginning collection before you watch these stories. The special effects are terrible, but you may not notice if you are laughing at the whole show, and the extras are not as fantastic as some extras in other other Doctor Who collections. The high points are the commentary on Ian and Barbra, and the account of Dalek toys and comic books in the 1960s.

I had great fun with this video: it is wonderful laughs.

Doctor Who: The Space Museum/The Chase (Stories 15 and 16)
$49.98 $32.72