5.0 out of 5 stars "I got worse... I got clever..."
Five stars because David Tennant, Bernard Cribbins and John Simm deserve it...

Published on January 6, 2010 by B. Starbuck

2.0 out of 5 stars deus ex machina
If you don't know what a deus ex machina is, then just watch this or almost any other Russell T. Davies episode and watch how he gets them out of impossible situations. Yes, there's a name for it. And ALL writers know that this is the worst offense you can commit in fiction. I'm STUNNED that he has done it so long and so consistently. Between that and the gay agenda that...
Published on February 19, 2010 by phantomfan

5.0 out of 5 stars "I got worse... I got clever...", January 6, 2010
B. Starbuck (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
Five stars because David Tennant, Bernard Cribbins and John Simm deserve it...

I was worried after Part One. There seemed to be a lot of flailing loose ends, but... wow... Russell T. Davies really brought it together in Part Two. Whatever you want to say about Russell T. Davies, love him or hate him, you cannot deny that he leaves an impact, and "The End of Time" is no exception. As a life-long Whovian, I have to say, his writing for the Doctor is... monumental... and I know a lot of people don't like or appreciate the emotional vein in which he's written ~ even I have railed against it sometimes ~ but the guy knows how to tell a story, and he knows how to draw you in. He knows what strings to pull and which buttons to push, and that's the mark of a great storyteller. He flirted with returning the Time Lords, brought back their meanest, baddest one of all, and even introduced us, albeit fleetingly and mysteriously, to the Doctor's mother (or possibly Romana - I've heard arguments for both). By the end, he'd pretty much broken our favorite Time Lord, redeemed the Master, in a vague sort of way, and slapped the Time Lords back into the pits of the Time War.

Now, to the performances. John Simm, as the Master, was much less of a crazy caricature like he was in The Sound Of Drums and Last Of the Time Lords, and more of a creepy-crazy. The devouring of food and pounding of the head and the almost inbred insanity was palpable and gave a sense that this man, while a genius and the Doctor's equal on many levels, was falling apart at the seams, and Simm's performance was spectacular. You can tell how much he enjoys playing the part, that's for sure! Bravo! And a thumbs-up should go to Timothy Dalton as Rassilon. His growling, menacing portrayal of the Lord President almost made the Master look like a ten-year old amateur.

But the gems of these two episodes are the scenes between David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins. They are absolutely priceless. The dialogue and interaction between the two actors is so heartbreaking and subtle, and so well written. The dynamic between the Doctor and Wilf was simply perfection and really highlighted the range of both actors. It's just drama at its best, and we see a side of the Doctor that we're unfamiliar with: scared, uncertain, resigned, woeful, bitter even ~ a stark contrast to his happy-go-lucky nature ~ you name it, it's in there. His regeneration scene was a perfect metaphor for his wanting to hold on for as long as he could, but if he had to go, he was going to take everything with him.

As for David Tennant? I don't know what to say, except that he's absolutely brilliant, and he is going to be missed... SO MUCH! I never thought anyone could surpass Tom Baker, but Tennant did ~ in glorious fashion! The final twenty minutes of Part Two are so powerful, so wrenching, so unbelievably striking, and he proved why he is the most popular and loved Doctor among fans. Maybe it was the writing, maybe it was Tennant, maybe it was the beautiful musical score, maybe it was the perfect storm of all those things... in any case, it was the perfect ending, for all involved, and I don't think we could have asked for a better departure for Tennant or for Davies, and I thank them for the years of enjoyment they've brought!

But as Ood Sigma said:

"This Song is ending, but the Story never ends..."

Bring on Matt Smith and Steven Moffat!

Long Live the Doctor!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Medicus est mortuus. Porro ago Medicus!, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
The Russell T Davies experience has come to an end, and boy, do these two episodes represent much of his time as showrunner, both good and bad.

You know the basic plot. The Master returns and fights the Doctor. Other stuff happens. The Doctor dies and regenerates. So basic, but it works and works well.

It's hard to get into specifics without exposing many a spoiler, so I won't bother. Suffice to say it's the perfect embodiment of everything we've come to expect of the Davies-era and does a great job setting things up for what's to come under the auspices of Stephen Moffat.

THE GOOD:

The Master is far more layered and interesting than he's been at any point since Roger Delgado had the role. Also his fate in the story mirrors that which had been planned for the Master had Delgado not died.

The chemistry between Wilf and the Doctor. I really wish Wilf had been along for the ride through all the specials this year. Might've been more interesting than what we ended up with.

The identity of the Lord President of the Time Lords. Now THAT I didn't see coming!

The conversation between Wilf and the Doctor about what it's like to regenerate.

The final goodbyes with basically everyone the Doctor has met since the series relaunch.

THE BAD:

The horrible deus ex machina that settled the cliff-hanger at the end of part one. I really hate that about Davies' writing. He paints himself into a corner and then uses basically "magic" to get out of it.

The "have your cake and eat it, too" thing with Donna where we're told remembering the Doctor will cause her brain to melt, and then when she remembers him... well, that's not quite the case.

The overwhelming music that sometimes drowns out the dialogue (this is mostly a problem in part one).

THE UNANSWERED:

Why was Wilf so important to the timelines?

Who was the mysterious Time Lady? (my bet: Romana)

Where do we go from here? Anywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars Part 2 aboslutely brilliant, Part 1 OK, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
While I enjoyed Part 1, I think I would have been dissapointed if Part 2 had continued along the same lines. Basically, Part 1 had the elements I've enjoyed least in the new Doctor Who - manic Master, a threat whose jeapordy just did not grab me (all humans turning into John Simm), silly aliens, and another version of "how can the Doctor revisit an old companion without messing up continuity with the ending of an earlier story?" I've never agreed with reviewers who criticize Doctor Who plot points that don't make sense. It's a program about a man from the planet Gallifrey who travels through space and time in a ship that appears (to my American eyes) to be a wooden phone booth. (I know it's a police box, but I've never seen one of those in real life.) Considering all that, what's the point of saying that some plot point doesn't make sense? It's not supposed to make sense, and I don't see that a viewer who expected it to could really enjoy it. However, I think I can criticize the plot of any program if it fails to grab me and pull me in.

I'm happy to say I thought Part 2 was absolutely brilliant and fitting for David Tennant's last episode. This one really got it right. First they quickly got rid of the six billion John Simms and at the same time gave us a sample of how much power the Time Lords really have, once they acknowledge no restrains and feel accountable to no rules. Timothy Dalton was a terrific choice for the part of the Lord President. Then they gave the Master some emotional believability. Not credibility in any real sense - that's not possible with such a character, but the Master towards the end became a character that the viewer could finally feel something for. The best parts were the final segments, which were wonderfully moving and gave full scope for great acting by David Tennant and Bernard Cribbens. When the Doctor had the gun pointed at the Master, I found myself worrying about him as I would about a real person, thinking "if he has to kill with that gun, it will break him, it will destroy him emotionally, it will finish what the time war started." Then the succession of expressions that showed on the Doctor's face when he heard Wilf knocking on the glass - shock and terror, followed by acceptance. You can see that he fights that acceptance by ranting and raving, all the time fully aware that his own nature and his love for Wilf will leave him no choice. Then Wilf - pleading for the Doctor to leave him and falling silent when the Doctor says "it's my honor." (How could anyone reply to that?) Last, what really got to me - the Doctor's almost-silent scream when the radiation hit him, more moving than any high-decibel sound could have been. I thought that whole sequence was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen on television. The little visits to old companions were fun, but the best was the exchange between the Doctor and Joan's great-grandaughter at the book signing. The great-grandaughter tells the Doctor that Joan was happy in the end, and when she asks "were you?" the Doctor responds with a smile that so clearly is holding off tears. The 10th Doctor's last line "I don't want to go," said with grief but also with courage, was also beautiful, as was the near-destruction of the Tardis as a symbol of how much this Doctor was fighting his regeneration. As must be clear, I thought this episode was very nearly perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, February 16, 2010
J. Bosch (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
After reading the negative reviews--and even some of the criticisms in the positive reviews--I was hesitant to buy this DVD. But I really wanted to see how Tennant and RTD would wrap up this era, so I took the plunge.

I'm happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story. Was it sometimes over the top? Sure! Does the story have some glaring plot holes and inconsistencies? You bet. But what Doctor Who story doesn't? Heck, even many of the works of "great literature" don't stand up 100% to close scrutiny, so I won't let that bother me. If you follow the dialog closely, nearly all questions are answered, which is pretty hard to do when writing a script and then putting a final edit together that may or may not include all the elements of the original story.

So, instead of filling in a scorecard of plusses and minuses, I'm just rating this story on how much it entertained me, and on that score it has to get at least four stars. Here are a few things that stood out to me: Tennant, Cribbins and Simm each deserve kudos for their performance, and Dalton added some theatrical power to the lot. Matt Smith's moment as the new Doctor showed a LOT of promise for the future of the show. The music was mixed too loud in the first story, then was toned down in the second. I like Murray Gold's scores, so no complaints there, as both the music and the effects contributed to the story instead of distracting me from it (except for a few times in the first episode when the music nearly drowned out the dialog, that is). In many ways The End of Time reminds me of The Caves of Androzani, but I won't bore anyone with a "compare and contrast" of the two.

I think the majority of Who fans will like this two-parter, and I think it will stand up to repeat viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece Theater, February 9, 2010
M101 (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
I am a Ninth Doctor fan and I warmed up to David Tennant in series 3. I think his acting improved gradually and he is exiting with a bang, he is great in these 2.
John Simm is amazing, so nice that Life on Mars ( the original ) was picked up by PBS!
Bernard Cribbins is delightful and Timothy Dalton is a wonderful surprise ( why not sooner? the other 2009 specials could have used him!)
I agree with reviewers that noted that the writing is uneven, too much at times, but these are season ending episodes, we got used to this by now from Russell T Davies, all series finale are over the top.
The 11 Doctor makes an impressive entrance, can't wait to see him!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad to See the Reigning Doctor & Crew End, January 3, 2010
Amazon Customer (Pomona, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
I feel sad more so that Russell T. Davies is leaving the show, more so than David Tennant & fellow executive producer Julie Gardner. I wish Stephen Moffatt good luck as how do suceed the great writing behind the revived series?

My favorite was 3rd season with the revived struggle between the Doctor & the Master, as hubby & I stayed up overnight to watch the last few episodes of that season.

Davies certainly had surprises in these last 2 episodes, whether (spoiler alert) it explained why the Master was maddened by the constant drumming in his head, the reappearance of the Time Lords, and that Rassilon, the 1st Time Lord was even more even than the Master!

Tennant expanded the Doctor's character, portraying his loneliness and why he feels pain over lossing companions. You certainly have a heart for this Doctor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cry Every Time, February 25, 2013
Shirley Granahan (New Rochelle, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
It's Dr Who. It's David Tennant. It's the end of David's fantastic journey as the 10th Doctor . . . a journey I had hoped never to see end. And Wilfred holds the key. If you can watch David's final scene and not cry, you must not be of this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I don't want to go", May 6, 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
These last words, by the 10th Doctor David Tennant, seem to cross the line between character and actor. It honestly feels that Tennant made a last minute decision, before the Doctor begins to regenerate, that he wants to stay, and if Tennant truly wanted to leave, well, his last words as the Doctor were quite possibly the best lines delivered by any actor, ever.

As a "Whovian", I can say this is probably the most emotional Doctor Who episode you will ever see. I've watched this numerous times, and the recent death of "Sarah Jane" (E. Sladen), makes The End of Time even more poignant.

The basic plot is this: The Master is back and wants to take over the world, but there is another evil facing the universe, larger than the Master, the Time Lords themselves (Dalton). Alongside the Doctor is Donna Noble's grandfather, Wilfred Mott, who is absolutely incredible as the comedic but sensitive companion. The Master, played again by the talented John Simm, is fantastic in his role as the conqueror gone sour.

The plot is entertaining, and will hold you in suspense. The last 15 minutes demonstrate Tennant at his best as the 10th doctor, a troubled and lonely soul, who puts a brave face on. In Tennant's last minutes as the Doctor, you will be in tears to watch Tennant go.

Yes, it is that good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A flawed goodbye for the best Doctor ever!, February 10, 2010
Kindly Ol' Doc Webhead (approximate center of the universe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2 (DVD)
It started off with an annoying race through time and space -- it's time travel, guys, no need to hurry!

It ended with the best send-off a Doctor ever had.

In between were some good bits, with nice character work by Wilf, the Master, aand the Doctor himself.

The new Doctor has a hard act to follow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet, but excellent, May 31, 2010
Hopefully we'll see David Tennant back for the Who 50th anniversary; for now
so very sad to see him depart-the best doctor, surpassing even the iconic Tom Baker and the excellent Peter Davison.

My enjoyment of this episode was bitter sweet given that it marks the end of an era. I even put off watching it for a month because I just didn't have the heart. Some of the frenzied action is familiar territory-the kind of thing we have seen many times before in Who. Still, the poignancy laced throughout is very compelling. The 10th doctor knows his days are literally numbered, and there are many moments when Tennant's Doctor, through Davies' mostly wonderful script, and really Tennant himself, are clearly in the process of saying goodbye. Davies continues his excellent re-imagining of The Doctor, building upon and extending both the tragic and heroic dimensions of the character. To me, the acting and the character development have become more important than the action during the past couple of seasons, especially since we've really known for almost 2 years that Tennant's Doctor would not be as long-lived as most fans would have liked. Giving nothing away, but let me just say that if you are a Who fan, a Tennant fan, the ending will break your heart but also satisfy. It is a most excellent and fond farewell.

Also: Who fans MUST watch the extras on the Part 1 and 2 DVDs, which are GREAT. HOWEVER, rent both at the same time and watch the complete two-part episode before any of the extras, or you'll ruin the episode. Also, I suggest you watch the Who Confidential on both discs before watching David's video diary. In it, he takes the viewer through various moments during the production that we saw in Who Confidential, but from his perspective. It was Tennant's decision to depart the series, but he clearly had mixed feelings, and it's very moving to see him tear up on more than one occasion during the final days of production.

4.5 stars for the episode, 5 stars for the extras.

Doctor Who: The End of Time, Parts 1 and 2