5.0 out of 5 stars If you call yourself a fan, you have to get this
Hot off the press, my book arrived from Amazon as promised, on the day of its release to US readers, October 29th.

Produced by the BBC, this is the official story behind the making of Doctor Who, with the foreword written by Executive Producer, Steven Moffat. The book is laid out chronologically, but, being Doctor Who, in a rather timey-wimey manner...
Published 13 months ago by Becca

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Done, But Somewhat Misleading/Confusing To Those Used To "Vault" Editions
The book and collection of images are very well done, but I have one issue with the product: I found the title and description to be somewhat misleading and/or confusing. A wide variety of media collections lately, usually containing the word "vault" in the title, include physical mementos/ephemera, and I fully expected the same here. I can see now, having...
Published 13 months ago by Solomon Davidoff

5.0 out of 5 stars If you call yourself a fan, you have to get this, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years (Hardcover)

There is a chapter for each year that the show was on TV. There is even one for the period 1997-2004 when the TV version was on hiatus, with fans having no idea when or if it would return.

Interspersed throughout, are photographic pieces of mementos: a note and picture from 1965 from Shepperton Studios Art Department regarding the first Daleks, a sketch by June Hudson for the "look" of the Fifth Doctor, a clipping from "The Radio Times" on November 21, 1963, and costume designs throughout the era. There are interviews with cast and crew and hundreds of pictures of memos and props. Each and every companion and enemy or monster has been immortalized in this vault.

And this brings me to the title of the book. This is certainly great fodder for all Doctor Who fans, but I believe the term "Vault" is a little misleading. I thought there would have been pull-out material from the set; replicas of props - maps, postcards, report cards.

Instinctively, I love this 50th anniversary publication. It's a celebration of each year of the television show's existence in rich and vivid color. Every fan should get this collector's item.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best for the 50th Anniversary, November 11, 2013
I have been watching Doctor Who since I was a pre-teen, and it still has a unique place in my head and heart to this day. With the 50th anniversary soon approaching, there is so much garbage being offered, it was hard for me to buy almost anything. But I took a chance on this book, and I feel that I came out a winner.

Realistically, it is impossible to cram the entirety of this show in 320 glorious pages, and as such, this is by no means a definitive source for everything any fan could want. You would need an encyclopedia to fulfill that need. But what this marvelous book has is very possibly the largest collection of behind the scenes photos of props, and costumes, as well as drawings, magazine clippings, and insights which I have never seen in any of my other Doctor Who books. And I have a soft spot for that.

Pros:

Feel. This is hardback book, but the cover feels padded, so the book rests very comfortably when held for even long periods.

Size. The pages are roughly 9 3/4 inches by 11 inches. Or 24.7 millimeters by 28 millimeters. Due to its size, the photographs are presented in a large enough format to be better appreciated. Note, for fans who like to make their own costumes and props, this will become a fantastic resource for you. Personally, I'm ready to make a Polyphase Avatron.

Archive photos. As already mentioned these are more of these packed into this book than a Doctor Who Museum. I can only imagine the agony of the creative minds who made this book possible when they had to edit out certain photos just to keep this book from becoming to large to handle. If The Vault II is ever presented, I will be among the first to buy it.

Writing. The intelligent way in which this material is presented can be appreciated by new fans as well as stalwarts such as myself. It is also easily well read by younger viewers and those long overdue for a regeneration.

Cons:

Thus far, I have NONE. Some people may complain that the book does not give a show by show synopsis, but that has been done ad nauseum, and that is NOT what this book is about. And if I really wanted something to complain about, it would be that the 320 pages, which have been superbly presented, can never be enough for someone like me. But again, no single book could ever do that.

MY BOTTOM LINE: The Vault is a MUST HAVE for anyone who wants more than a mere synopsis of each story. It offers so much of what I personally crave for, and as such, I feel that it is one of the best books Doctor Who book that I have have bought in several years. My only regret with this review is that I cannot upload images from the book to share with you, and that is for two reasons. 1. I don't know how. 2. I would probably upload so many, I would very likely be sued for copyright infringement, since there are so many newly published archive photos that I truly love. I can honestly say that every single page gave me a greater appreciation of my favorite program.

My sincerest thanks go out to those who made this available to the fans. It was worth 50 years of waiting.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite of the dozens of Doctor Who books I own, November 6, 2013
I have two boxes of Doctor Who books that I have been collecting over the past 35 years. I just got this one and it is already my favorite. The book itself is exquisite. The cover feels almost like it is a padded cover and the print on the cover is embossed. The binding is top quality as is the paper used. Full color throughout, with many of the photos and illustrations full page (and the page size is quite big almost 10 inches by 11 inches! The book is extremely interesting, with photos of promotional materials like CEREAL BOXES! This gives a good idea of how Doctor Who was part of the culture right from the start. If you want a book explaining the plot of each show, this is not that book. But if you want a book that shows how Doctor Who infiltrated the real world ... this definitely is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a must have for your collection, regardless if you are a new or experienced Whovian. It's for everyone! :D, November 8, 2013
I love this book. It's a must have for your Doctor Who collection. I'm still a newbee Whovian (I have only seen episodes from the 2005 series); but I still appreciate this fantastic documentation of the Series. It's a good way for a new Whovian to learn about the Classic series. It has every detail that you could imagine; from the very beginning of creating the concept of an mysterious time and space travelling alien to the preparation for the 50th special. This book is full of vivid stills from episodes, costume sketches and designs, blueprints of the studio, photo memorabilia, episode list and an amazing narrative of how this fantastic universe was created. It not only centers on the Television show but, basically, on everything: TV movie, novels, audiobooks, comics, Doctor Who magazine, toys, props... literally, EVERYTHING!

The chapters are divided by years. At the beginning of each chapter is an introduction to what happened during that year, small pictures of the companions during that year and a full page image of the Doctor.

When I opened this book for the first time, I squealed. I'm currently taking a Television Production class, and when I saw this full two page blueprint of the studio, tears went down my cheeks. I was emotional when I reconized the studio control room, the lighting set, the TARDIS center console... everything.

YOU MUST GET THIS FOR YOUR COLLECTIONS!!!
Delivery was fast. I live in Puerto Rico and I received it in two days (I only payed for the standard shipping).
Have fun! Allons-y!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for Whovians., October 29, 2013
This is a book that every fan of Doctor Who should have. It covers the show's 50 year history year by year, has many cool pictures of behind the scenes, props, costumes and much more. I don't really know what else to say other than this book is a must-have for Whovians. It's a perfect tribute to a wonderful series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone interested in the history of Doctor Who needs this book., November 27, 2013
K. Duffy (Toledo, OH USA) - See all my reviews
Anyone interested in the history of Doctor Who needs this book. This book is filled with beautiful color photos and shares a wonderful look at a broad history of the show. There are costume sketches, costume photos, prop photos, merchandise photos, memo and script photos. This book is page after page of beautiful history for the first 50 years of Doctor Who.

Each chapter covers 1 year in the life of the show, so this book is massive. It's not simply a few pages for each Doctor, it's several pages for each YEAR of the show's long life. The text is easy to read and full of information. You can follow the story of Doctor Who from nearly day 1 right up until the end of series 7 in 2013.

The only complaint I can even muster is that the 8th Doctor gets just 5 pages. It is not really a fault though since Paul McGann's time as the Doctor on screen was so short lived. I'm also just a crazy fan of his Doctor so no amount of pages would have been likely to satisfy me.

Overall this book is a wonderful addition to any fans library. It would also make a great gift for the Doctor Who fan in your life. Well worth the cost. Every penny of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-rate travel through The Doctor's history., December 18, 2013
Douglas Keith McEwan (Reseda, California United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book with still little idea what it would contain, more or less on faith, as I have the big slick books they did for the show's 20th, 25th, and 30th anniversaries, and I wanted one for the 50th. Well, this was far from a disappointment. It's immense and heavy and overstuffed with goodies. The other books I mentioned above should hide in shame next to this one. Each year (Even the ones when it was off the air) is chronoicled in a brief, one-page each, essay on the notable facts about that year, followed by essays for each year running from 4 o 6 pages each, one per year, but each essay on a different topic, while surrounded by lavish illustrations and gorgeous photos beautifully reproduced. Topics are stuff like: how was the format devised and bu whom?, What does the story editor do? The history of all companions. The history of DW organized fandom, the history of the Daleks (the off-screen history, not the fictional onscreen history), on special effects advances, on prominent Who directors like Dougie Camfield, on fans who went on to work on the show, on the Target novelizations, on Mary Whitehouse's vile censorship crusades and its effect on the show, so on and so forth, all meticulously researched, clearly written, and almost always fascinating. I expected to skim it and enjoy the photos, and instead I read every word. It even presents an assesment, fair to both sides, on the controversial John Nathan-Turner, dealing both with those who love him and respect him, and those who loathed him and feel he "wrecked" the show." Of particular interest are the production photos showing some special prop or costume in use on the show next to a new photo of said prop or costume as it exists today in the BBC vaults, in wildly varying degrees of degradation and age. It treats both the classic show and the revival equally, as one long show. A terrific book for the serious Whovian, as well as an ornament to any book collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of insider facts and trivia, March 22, 2014
This is truly a "vault" of information, pictures, and trivia about the series, actors, and writers. It's not in chronological order, nor is it an in-depth study, rather touches on bits and pieces, and gives you a different perspective on Doctor Who. Interesting and a very easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful history, April 28, 2014
This large and attractive book gives the reader a behind-the-scenes look at that fabulous piece of British television, Doctor Who. Chockfull of color pictures of characters and sets and merchandise and novels, the book takes the reader through the history of the production of Doctor Who from its inception right up to 2013. It’s an excellent look at who did what, and why, and what it meant.

Yeah, this is a great book. If you are a fan of Doctor Who, you will appreciate this wonderful history.

5.0 out of 5 stars A glorious collector's guide through time and space., June 6, 2014
This 50 years of Doctor Who super spectacular is a lavish look in chronological order of Doctor Who. It works as a type of collector's guide as each Doctor is presented with loads of pictures of the various paraphernalia that was available to promote the show. It starts with the early merchandise of the Hartnell era, primarily focussing on Daleks. But as the show gains popularity the show's merchandise moves from Annuals and lunch boxes to action figures and sonic screwdrivers. Whovians will no doubt recognise some of their own collection in these photos, and others will perhaps use the guide to collect treasures that will quickly be added to their wish list.

The book also presents each Doctor with historical facts and snippets from newspaper cuttings and the like. We can read how Colin Baker really felt being axed from the series. We can read how the new series began, how companions were introduced, and we can use the book as a guide to how the series changed dramatically.

The book will definitely appeal to fans of the series and features enough new material to appease even the most ardent Whovian.

Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years
Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years by Marcus Hearn (Hardcover - October 29, 2013)
$45.00 $32.24